What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

But, but, but, the 2013 NFL Draft Class is terrible! (1 Viewer)

TheFanatic

Footballguy
True, there are no AJ Green's or Julio Jones in this class. But the RB's and TE's have been pretty stellar. In a PPR, Lacy, Bernard and Bell are all top 20 and Stacy is just outside of that after not playing much if at all the first few games.

Reed, Wright, Eifert and Ertz are also doing pretty well for rookies, particularly at this position where they have to learn to be a blocker and a route runner.

At WR, Keenan Allen is the gem of the class so far, but Robert Woods had pretty stellar stats when both he and EJ Manual were healthy as well. Neither are in AJ Green territory or anything, but nice to build on.

The QB's meh.

No love for Patterson? He's been slow to start the year but now that he's getting more involved you can see he is going to be special. I still think he ends up being the best WR from this class.

Hopkins has shown flashes of brilliance as well. If Houston gets a QB, I see him having a Reggie Wayne like career.

Woods is so attached to the hip with Manuel, hopefully both stay healthy.

Picked up Keenan in the 2nd and 3rd rd of two different drafts, he's been great.

Ball is coming on, Bell has been great, Lacy is a stud, Gio will keep getting better. Though I agree, Patterson may end up being the most special talent of everyone given what he's been able to do. Good that he has Cassel to shine in the last few games.

Eifiert and Austin have been the only big disappointments, but I think they still have great futures. The whole top 10 was pretty solid this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Allen, Patterson, Woods, Hunter, Rogers are going to be WR1 names here for years to come.

If five great QBs came out of one draft class people would be labeling it a phenomenal draft.

Not every position makes a great harvest, but a plethora of stars out of one position can be enough. The key for teams is to see which position is deep in any given year and take advantage.

Lattimore/Christine Michaels haven't played much (or at all) yet, but both have high ceilings moving forward as well imo.

Eifiert and Austin have been the only big disappointments, but I think they still have great futures. The whole top 10 was pretty solid this year.
I was lower than most on Austin coming into this year and thought he was a crazy reach at #8, but even I can see how criminally misused he's been by the Rams' coaching staff. It's unfathomable that they can't find ways to get the ball in that guy's hands more than four times per game on offense.

I think Hunter and Woods are the two best bets for second-year outperformance relative to ADP, though Patterson's a candidate if people fall back on his season stats from this year (which aren't going to be all that eye-popping) and forget the obvious star talent he's already flashed. I have a feeling my redrafts next year are going to be backing the truck up on Class of 2013 guys in my WR3/4/5 slots.

No love for Marlon Brown? He's been putting up pretty sweet stats for a UDFA rookie. 400 and 6 so far. Not mind blowing, but he's been integral in 2 or 3 of the Ravens wins, especially last weeks crazy win vs Minn.

No love for Marlon Brown? He's been putting up pretty sweet stats for a UDFA rookie. 400 and 6 so far. Not mind blowing, but he's been integral in 2 or 3 of the Ravens wins, especially last weeks crazy win vs Minn.
I like Rogers, Brown and Allen. Brown would really be something with a better QB.

Not a fan of Patterson, Austin, Hunter or Woods. Mainly due to QB.

True, there are no AJ Green's or Julio Jones in this class. But the RB's and TE's have been pretty stellar. In a PPR, Lacy, Bernard and Bell are all top 20 and Stacy is just outside of that after not playing much if at all the first few games.

Reed, Wright, Eifert and Ertz are also doing pretty well for rookies, particularly at this position where they have to learn to be a blocker and a route runner.

At WR, Keenan Allen is the gem of the class so far, but Robert Woods had pretty stellar stats when both he and EJ Manual were healthy as well. Neither are in AJ Green territory or anything, but nice to build on.

The QB's meh.
Allen has performed as well as AJ Green since he started getting playing time in week 4. Seven TDs to AJ's four, and both have had five 100-yard games.

The QB's meh.
Allen has performed as well as AJ Green since he started getting playing time in week 4. Seven TDs to AJ's four, and both have had five 100-yard games.
I was comparing rookie seasons. And while I totally forgot Patterson, I feel Allen is the gem of the class at WR. I still don't put him in AJ Green's tier though.

No love for Patterson? He's been slow to start the year but now that he's getting more involved you can see he is going to be special. I still think he ends up being the best WR from this class.
:bag: Totally forgot about Patterson. He definitely deserves mention, although I think Allen is the better WR. Might be situation though...

i think people assume linemen heavy was equal to a terrible draft
I'm talking purely fantasy. All the guys that said to trade 2013 picks for 2014 (and there were a lot saying that who have yet to step in here), missed out on some sick talent...

I'm talking purely fantasy. All the guys that said to trade 2013 picks for 2014 (and there were a lot saying that who have yet to step in here), missed out on some sick talent...
my mistake.

agreed.. lots of good talented..

some good idp talent this year as well

richardson, alonso was a hot name first so many weeks.

i think markus wheaton who has been a swing and a miss this year so far has a bright future as a buy low rookie

and the future looks bright for le'veon bell.

I can't speak for other linemen, but Lane Johnson has been playing really well lately. Some of the others look to be consistent players. Good draft for linemen.

my mistake.

agreed.. lots of good talented..

some good idp talent this year as well

richardson, alonso was a hot name first so many weeks.

i think markus wheaton who has been a swing and a miss this year so far has a bright future as a buy low rookie

and the future looks bright for le'veon bell.
Wheaton will be solid in years to come, I think that Sanders and Cotchery will be gone and Wheaton will be definitely considered to start opposite Brown next year.

This will probably prove to be the draft best year ever for fantast performance players. The NFL actually said that before the draft - deepest draft ever for performance players. The only caviot was that the 1 or 2 all time superstar players like OJ Simpson, AP, Jim Brown, Peyton Manning, Calvin Johnson that are 100% guaranteed hall of famers wasn't there to take in the 1st round. The 2nd round on down was loaded though.

Hopkins has shown flashes of brilliance as well. If Houston gets a QB, I see him having a Reggie Wayne like career.
I always liked Hopkins. I even felt bad that I got into it with someone that was convinced Hopkins was going to turn Schaub into a star. I felt so bad for that guy I just quit the conversation. That dude was crazy.

Considering this is his first year back from a torn ACL, I am impressed. He could be a playmaker next year. Highly recruited out of HS.

The QB's meh.
I was comparing rookie seasons. And while I totally forgot Patterson, I feel Allen is the gem of the class at WR. I still don't put him in AJ Green's tier though.
In terms of rookie seasons, it seems likely that Allen's is going to beat Green's in every measure. Green's was 65/1057/7; Allen is at 63/931/7 with two games to go. For that matter, Julio Jones had just 59/959/8 in his rookie season.

The QB's meh.
In terms of rookie seasons, it seems likely that Allen's is going to beat Green's in every measure. Green's was 65/1057/7; Allen is at 63/931/7 with two games to go. For that matter, Julio Jones had just 59/959/8 in his rookie season.
Both AJ and Julio missed about 2 games in their rookie years iirc.

The QB's meh.
Green started 15 games his rookie season, Jones 13. Allen didn't get significant playing time until game 4; he's probably going to end up listed as playing 15 games, starting 14.

Yeah I remember the dynasty circles saying it wasnt a draft to snag that elite talent

but it had some depth to it.

the RBs have been good, I really like what Ive seen from Stacy,lacy, Bell, Gio and even Ball to a degree

The WR crop has been pretty good

its QB were it lacks

It was a good year for IDP rookies as well (Alonso, Ogletree, Cyprien, and Vaccaro to name a few).

3 of my rookie draft picks started (and performed well) for me in my playoff game yesterday. I'll take that from a rookie draft class.

The QB's meh.
Green started 15 games his rookie season, Jones 13. Allen didn't get significant playing time until game 4; he's probably going to end up listed as playing 15 games, starting 14.
Not to take anything away from Allen but Green had a rookie Dalton throwing to him. Dalton threw for 3400 yards & 20 TD's total that year, Rivers already has over 4K & 28 TD's with 2 games left.

The Bandit said:

The QB's meh.
Not to take anything away from Allen but Green had a rookie Dalton throwing to him. Dalton threw for 3400 yards & 20 TD's total that year, Rivers already has over 4K & 28 TD's with 2 games left.
That's a tough one to analyze. I don't think Allen got a start until week 4 or 5. So his season stats will say 15 games, but it was really more like 13. Then Allen was getting targets from Rivers while Green was getting targets from Dalton, but Green got 115 targets while Allen may not crack 100. After looking at the stats and thinking about situations, these two guys are closer than I expected which can only bode well for Allen.

The Bandit said:

The QB's meh.
That's a tough one to analyze. I don't think Allen got a start until week 4 or 5. So his season stats will say 15 games, but it was really more like 13. Then Allen was getting targets from Rivers while Green was getting targets from Dalton, but Green got 115 targets while Allen may not crack 100. After looking at the stats and thinking about situations, these two guys are closer than I expected which can only bode well for Allen.
Same here. I still value Green higher, but dayum, it's a lot closer than I thought

The other piece is that there are more receivers on San Diego than there were on Cincinatti in 2011. Green was competing with Gresham, Jerome Simpson, and Andre Caldwell, and no RBs caught more than 22 passes. San Diego has Woodhead getting 66 receptions, and Gates >> Gresham.

Not to say Allen is better than Green but that he really is having a rookie season on the same par, and you have to like his prospects. I'm most impressed with how his route running has transitioned to the NFL; his footwork on setting up a defender before he makes his cut is star-quality.

Allen has been impressive, no doubt, but he's playing with a QB who's putting up an MVP level season. As mentioned earlier, Green did what he did with a 3300 / 20 rookie Andy Dalton. Allen is good; Green is otherworldly.

Allen has been impressive, no doubt, but he's playing with a QB who's putting up an MVP level season. As mentioned earlier, Green did what he did with a 3300 / 20 rookie Andy Dalton. Allen is good; Green is otherworldly.
MVP-level? He's over 700 yards and 19 TDs behind Manning. (And for that matter, only 250 yards and 1 TD ahead of Dalton).

Anquan Boldin's rookie season (better than Green's or Allen's) was with Jeff Blake and Josh McCown at QB. They combined for 3265 yards and 18 TDs.

MVP-level? He's over 700 yards and 19 TDs behind Manning. (And for that matter, only 250 yards and 1 TD ahead of Dalton).
Manning's gonna win it, obviously, but Rivers has been lights out this year, and would absolutely be getting MVP consideration most years. Rivers is at 70% completion rate and 8.38 Y/A which are both better than Manning.

Manning's gonna win it, obviously, but Rivers has been lights out this year, and would absolutely be getting MVP consideration most years. Rivers is at 70% completion rate and 8.38 Y/A which are both better than Manning.
Because Manning has just 8.29 Y/A? Please. Rivers is on a 7-7 team that's probably not even going to make the playoffs.

Green just doesn't get the respect he deserves. The guy is at 1200/8 right now with likely one of the bottom 10 qb's in the league is a conservative offense with a good defense. I'm high on Allen but he's in a better position now than Green has ever been in.

I think this is a bit overstated. It doesn't matter how many yards the guy threw to other receivers. Green got 115 targets which is nothing to shake a stick at. Then he got 165 the next year and he's on pace for even more this year. Also, he threw for 3398 yards, so rounding down is a bit extreme here.

Green got 22% of Dalton's passes. Allen has gotten 18% of Rivers' passes.

Green just doesn't get the respect he deserves. The guy is at 1200/8 right now with likely one of the bottom 10 qb's in the league is a conservative offense with a good defense. I'm high on Allen but he's in a better position now than Green has ever been in.
Bottom 10? He seems like a very average QB to me. Would not put him in the bottom 10. He's 6th in TD passes (2 TDs behind 3rd). He's 15th in QB rating. So I'd say he's easily in the middle 10 QBs in the league.

It was a good year for IDP rookies as well (Alonso, Ogletree, Cyprien, and Vaccaro to name a few).

3 of my rookie draft picks started (and performed well) for me in my playoff game yesterday. I'll take that from a rookie draft class.
Agreed. Don't forget Worrilow, who came on like a Tasmanian devil around midseason. He's a stud in the making, it seems.

Bottom 10? He seems like a very average QB to me. Would not put him in the bottom 10. He's 6th in TD passes (2 TDs behind 3rd). He's 15th in QB rating. So I'd say he's easily in the middle 10 QBs in the league.
Agree that Dalton isn't bottom 10 now -- but Dalton as rookie? My point isn't to downplay Allen, who I like a ton -- just pointing out that Rivers is absolutely lights out this year, which has elevated the entire SD offense to some extent. I personally don't find Allen's rookie year to be quite as impressive as AJ Green's, due to All Pro level Rivers vs rookie Dalton.

Picked up Keenan in the 2nd and 3rd rd of two different drafts, he's been great.

Ball is coming on, Bell has been great, Lacy is a stud, Gio will keep getting better. Though I agree, Patterson may end up being the most special talent of everyone given what he's been able to do. Good that he has Cassel to shine in the last few games.

Why has Tavon Austin (569 yards, 5 TDs) been a "big disappointment", while Patterson (480 yards, 4 TDs) has had a "chance to shine"? I honestly think both have had very similar years, with Austin perhaps getting a couple more "wow" plays.

Coeur de Lion said:
CalBear said:
Coeur de Lion said:
was thinking more of comeback player of the year

Why has Tavon Austin (569 yards, 5 TDs) been a "big disappointment", while Patterson (480 yards, 4 TDs) has had a "chance to shine"? I honestly think both have had very similar years, with Austin perhaps getting a couple more "wow" plays.
Probably because we were all told how Austin was going to be the best rookie WR the NFL has seen since Moss. He was drafted, fantasy wise not just NFL, to be a starter for a lot of people. Perception is a fickle beast.

Eifert and Ertz have shown the ability, both both #### blocked this season. Philly coaches have realized that Ertz is special and he seems to be getting more PT than Celek or atleast getting chances to make plays. Elfert on the otherhand has been totaled blocked by Gresham who (IMO) brings nothing special to the table. Considering Gresham hasn't been phased out this yr I think next yr its going to be another useless season for Elfert owners.

Probably because we were all told how Austin was going to be the best rookie WR the NFL has seen since Moss. He was drafted, fantasy wise not just NFL, to be a starter for a lot of people. Perception is a fickle beast.
sometimes you goto think for yourself. I liked Austin as a mid 1sts and his stats this yr wouldn't be bad if thats where people took him.

Like someone else alluded to, expectations based on skill and QB. Most everyone I know in PPR took Tavon Austin first, thinking he would be king of PPR. Lacy, Bernard, etc. would have been a better pick. Patterson went average around 6.

Also, Austin was involved from the beginning then faded and Patterson has been coming on like a freight train lately. Would much rather Patterson's trajectory.

Your numbers must also include ST, since I have them neck and neck in pure receiving...

I still think Austin will be good, but is a disappointment for anyone who took him first overall.

Eifert and Ertz have shown the ability, both both #### blocked this season. Philly coaches have realized that Ertz is special and he seems to be getting more PT than Celek or atleast getting chances to make plays. Elfert on the otherhand has been totaled blocked by Gresham who (IMO) brings nothing special to the table. Considering Gresham hasn't been phased out this yr I think next yr its going to be another useless season for Elfert owners.
Eifert reminds me of Greg Olsen and I think he has an Olsen-like floor for his career. The frustrating thing is that even the OC in Cincy has said he has not been used to his fullest potential... hmmm, wonder who could change that...

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/12/4/5176612/jay-gruden-says-tyler-eifert-is-the-most-underutilized-player-on-our

Like someone else alluded to, expectations based on skill and QB. Most everyone I know in PPR took Tavon Austin first, thinking he would be king of PPR. Lacy, Bernard, etc. would have been a better pick. Patterson went average around 6.

Also, Austin was involved from the beginning then faded and Patterson has been coming on like a freight train lately. Would much rather Patterson's trajectory.

Your numbers must also include ST, since I have them neck and neck in pure receiving...

I still think Austin will be good, but is a disappointment for anyone who took him first overall.
Austin has 346 yards and 3 TDs in his last four games after getting 226/2 in his first 9. I'd say his trajectory is pretty favorable. (Edit to add: he's produced four plays of 50+ yards in his last month's worth of action. Again, trending way, way up.)

My numbers do not include special teams, but they do include rushing, where Austin has 150 yards at over 16 yards per attempt.

Might have something to do with total yardage:

Cordarrelle Patterson, 1679 yards (4th in league after Charles, McCoy Forte)

Tavon Austin, 1247 Yards

I agree that Patterson has outperformed Austin overall. Not to mention Austin has been injured.

Tavon Austin, 1247 Yards

I agree that Patterson has outperformed Austin overall. Not to mention Austin has been injured.
I doubt the typical fantasy owner cares about kickoff returns. What's the highest pick you ever saw anyone spend on Josh Cribbs? How about Keshawn Martin? Jacoby Jones? Trindon Holliday?

Tavon Austin, 1247 Yards

I doubt the typical fantasy owner cares about kickoff returns. What's the highest pick you ever saw anyone spend on Josh Cribbs? How about Keshawn Martin? Jacoby Jones? Trindon Holliday?
I think his total yardage is a good sign for next year. It shows he's a playmaker. And some of us play in IDP/Kick Return leagues.

I didn't mention Austin initially, because for the season, he's been a disappointment. Drafted too high and really not contribute anything. Nobody is starting Austin outside of return yardage leagues.

But I remember arguing with guys that there was no way that any RB could finish in the top 10 or any WR. There's a good chance we'll have one of each.

Users who are viewing this thread