What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Butler High School Shooting (1 Viewer)

Buckychudd

Footballguy
So my son goes to Butler High School where a school shooting took place yesterday.  He's fine, didn't witness the event, said he vaguely knows the kid that was shot and didn't know the shooter.  He was in lockdown for two hours in a classroom with no teachers, so a little stressful.

My son is fine, but we lost two students today.  One is dead and the other will be in prison for a long time.

Hits a little closer now.  Hug your kids a little tighter today.

...I didn't even know there was another school shooting yesterday.  That's what actually makes me the most upset - it's not even newsworthy a lot of times.  We've become so used to this nonsense, and that's just....awful.

T&P for your son and his school.  

This one was a fist fight gone bad, right?  Not the (god I am really about to say this) typical school shooting that makes the news these days. 

This one was a fist fight gone bad, right?  Not the (god I am really about to say this) typical school shooting that makes the news these days. 
This was not a mass shooting event.

There was a history between the boys, it's being described as bullying gone bad.  Not entirely sure how accurate that description is, but the boys had been in an altercation over the weekend and got into it again yesterday morning.

Either way, I'm saddened that the boy felt he had to resort to shooting the other boy.  The outcome is tragic, which is why I say we lost two yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
It didn't hit the national news because it wasn't a mass school shooting.  The media really only goes after those.

I assume you and @berndog have kids at the same school?

that said, this being the USA, :shrug:  ... I suppose it could've just been another shooting somewhere else.

so sorry another another FFAer was directly affected by this. sounds like your kid's ok? (I mean psycho-emotionally).

I assume you and @berndog have kids at the same school?

that said, this being the USA, :shrug:  ... I suppose it could've just been another shooting somewhere else.

so sorry another another FFAer was directly affected by this. sounds like your kid's ok? (I mean psycho-emotionally).
It appears his kids do go to the same school.

My son is fine, but I'm a little worried how it's effecting him exactly.  I'm sure he feels less safe than yesterday.

It appears his kids do go to the same school.

My son is fine, but I'm a little worried how it's effecting him exactly.  I'm sure he feels less safe than yesterday.
that's kind of a crazy coincidence, especially if you don't know each other. 

I can't imagine what he went and is going through. ugh. so sorry. are they offering counseling at or through the school? even if he's not hugely affected, a chance to talk or listen about it might be a good thing.

that's kind of a crazy coincidence, especially if you don't know each other. 

I can't imagine what he went and is going through. ugh. so sorry. are they offering counseling at or through the school? even if he's not hugely affected, a chance to talk or listen about it might be a good thing.
It's a big school, but it's possible I know him in real life just didn't know he posted here.

The school has been pretty great in my opinion.  They are offering counseling.  They're getting a lot of flack from folks about how they handled some aspects, but I think they did the best they could.  I'm actually a little more disappointed in some parents as they staged a mass march past police barricades and made an already chaotic situation worse.

There was a stabbing death in a Detroit high school about a month ago. Girl stabbed another girl to death, I think it was over drama with a boy. Crazy stuff. So sad that this is how kids handle problems. 

Just like Buckychudd my daughter was in a classroom unsupervised for the entire ordeal. 

Even with that screw up overall they did a good job keeping the kids safe but did a horrible job communicating with parents. The poor communication and frantic parents led to a chaotic scene. 

My son is seemingly unphased while I saw a lot of tears from my daughter yesterday.  She  will definitely be apprehensive about going back to school and feeling safe.  

I live in Charlotte as well. No kids in school but have been involved with Butler coaches and admin in the past. Seems like a good school all in all. The shooting seemed to be very focused on a running beef.

Sorry your kids are having to deal with this.

Back in my day you just scrapped it out. If you got a clear winner and loser then it was over. If it got broke up there was a repeat off school grounds later. But the worst you got was may be a broken nose or something. We didn't shoot each other. 

So my son goes to Butler High School where a school shooting took place yesterday.  He's fine, didn't witness the event, said he vaguely knows the kid that was shot and didn't know the shooter.  He was in lockdown for two hours in a classroom with no teachers, so a little stressful.

My son is fine, but we lost two students today.  One is dead and the other will be in prison for a long time.

Hits a little closer now.  Hug your kids a little tighter today.
What state?

This was not a mass shooting event.

There was a history between the boys, it's being described as bullying gone bad.  Not entirely sure how accurate that description is, but the boys had been in an altercation over the weekend and got into it again yesterday morning.

Either way, I'm saddened that the boy felt he had to resort to shooting the other boy.  The outcome is tragic, which is why I say we lost two yesterday.
I kind of feel this was irresponsible of them to put out there without the details. Who was being bullied? The kid that got shot or the kid that did the shooting? My guess is a most people would think that the kid that got shot was doing the bullying. If that isn't true that is VERY unfair to the victim's family. 

I kind of feel this was irresponsible of them to put out there without the details. Who was being bullied? The kid that got shot or the kid that did the shooting? My guess is a most people would think that the kid that got shot was doing the bullying. If that isn't true that is VERY unfair to the victim's family. 
I agree with you.

Even if it is true, if I was the victims family I would be apoplectic.  It was described that way by the school district superintendent so it's not like the media came up with it.  I find it to be very irresponsible. 

It's a big school, but it's possible I know him in real life just didn't know he posted here.

The school has been pretty great in my opinion.  They are offering counseling.  They're getting a lot of flack from folks about how they handled some aspects, but I think they did the best they could.  I'm actually a little more disappointed in some parents as they staged a mass march past police barricades and made an already chaotic situation worse.
I feel like that's par for the course these days - I'd almost expect at a minimum outrage, if not major protests, no matter how the school handled it.  It's just how people are these days.

There was a stabbing death in a Detroit high school about a month ago. Girl stabbed another girl to death, I think it was over drama with a boy. Crazy stuff. So sad that this is how kids handle problems. 
While any stabbing or shooting death in school is tragic, lets not pretend this has not been how kids have handled things forever. My father, who went to school in the 60s told me half his junior year was spent at home because of race riots with knives and guns. When I was in high school (91-95) I knew 2 kids who brought guns to school and the rough kids had knives. 

We also had a place behind the school where teachers and students smoked together. 

Point is, all school violence sucks and Im glad the two guys who post here had nothing bad happen to their kids. But knives and to a lesser extent, guns are not new ways of dealing with conflict. But we are in agreement that it sucks that kids feel they need to use them.

I feel like that's par for the course these days - I'd almost expect at a minimum outrage, if not major protests, no matter how the school handled it.  It's just how people are these days.
Just to back up the communication and handling.  Here is a list of the communications we had yesterday from the school:

1. Although I heard it from my son prior, I received my first call (automated) from the school about 1/2 hour after the incident telling us the school was on lock down.
  2. I received another 2 hours after saying the lockdown had been lifted and we could pick up our kids.
  3. Third happened about 4 hours after informing us the boy had passed away.
  4. Fourth happened about 8 hours after the incident letting us know that school had been cancelled today (and tomorrow they were already off) and that counseling would be available.
They also had a press conference at the 8 hour mark with the superintendent and captain of the police department.

Pretty solid in my opinion.  They're getting flack since they also said school would continue for children who's parents were not picking them up.

While any stabbing or shooting death in school is tragic, lets not pretend this has not been how kids have handled things forever. My father, who went to school in the 60s told me half his junior year was spent at home because of race riots with knives and guns. When I was in high school (91-95) I knew 2 kids who brought guns to school and the rough kids had knives. 

We also had a place behind the school where teachers and students smoked together. 

Point is, all school violence sucks and Im glad the two guys who post here had nothing bad happen to their kids. But knives and to a lesser extent, guns are not new ways of dealing with conflict. But we are in agreement that it sucks that kids feel they need to use them.
was your dad a soc or a greaser?

my folks grew up in brooklyn, ny. dad in brownsville, where mike tyson comes from. he ran in a gang that made zip-guns to carry with them (not my dad) around- including school. my mom's school was in a nicer part of bklyn- recalled a kid throwing acid on another kid's face over something stupid. people have always been violent. kids have always been stupid. what is a bit different is kids showing up with bags of guns/bombs including rapid fire, large magazine weapons... which thankfully wasn't part of the equation at Butler.

my folks grew up in brooklyn, ny. dad in brownsville, where mike tyson comes from. he ran in a gang that made zip-guns to carry with them (not my dad) around- including school. my mom's school was in a nicer part of bklyn- recalled a kid throwing acid on another kid's face over something stupid. people have always been violent. kids have always been stupid. what is a bit different is kids showing up with bags of guns/bombs including rapid fire, large magazine weapons... which thankfully wasn't part of the equation at Butler.
Lol, my dad went to Canarsie HS in Brooklyn. Seems like Brooklyn was a scary ### place

El Floppo said:

I thought of this exact book/movie

Buckychudd said:
Just to back up the communication and handling.  Here is a list of the communications we had yesterday from the school:

1. Although I heard it from my son prior, I received my first call (automated) from the school about 1/2 hour after the incident telling us the school was on lock down.
  2. I received another 2 hours after saying the lockdown had been lifted and we could pick up our kids.
  3. Third happened about 4 hours after informing us the boy had passed away.
  4. Fourth happened about 8 hours after the incident letting us know that school had been cancelled today (and tomorrow they were already off) and that counseling would be available.
They also had a press conference at the 8 hour mark with the superintendent and captain of the police department.

Pretty solid in my opinion.  They're getting flack since they also said school would continue for children who's parents were not picking them up.
If I am being honest, being a teacher in a school, it would be very odd knowing there was a shooting and just going on with the day. Its tough to teach on Halloween, I cant imagine teaching kids after what happened at Butler. They should have called the busses and sent everyone home. 

If I am being honest, being a teacher in a school, it would be very odd knowing there was a shooting and just going on with the day. Its tough to teach on Halloween, I cant imagine teaching kids after what happened at Butler. They should have called the busses and sent everyone home. 
Yes that's been the major issue, but I don't think it's as simple as calling busses.  We're part of a very large school system that shares busses, and they're scheduled pretty tightly.  If they send busses to send our kids home that impacts the whole district.  I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but it's not as easy as people think.

Yes that's been the major issue, but I don't think it's as simple as calling busses.  We're part of a very large school system that shares busses, and they're scheduled pretty tightly.  If they send busses to send our kids home that impacts the whole district.  I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but it's not as easy as people think.
Yeah - I agree with @Buckychudd - I'm sure it wasn't "just going on with the day," i.e. school as usual, but what can they really do if parents are all over the place under the assumption that it's a school day?  Maybe I'm biased because our household has two parents who both work full-time demanding jobs and have decent 45+ minute commutes...Even right now when daycare calls us and says a kid is sick and we have to come get them, it's a MINIMUM 1 hour before we can get there.  I'm not sure what time this shooting took place, but there's a good chance that even if they had run buses, some parent's wouldn't have been home.

Yeah - I agree with @Buckychudd - I'm sure it wasn't "just going on with the day," i.e. school as usual, but what can they really do if parents are all over the place under the assumption that it's a school day?  Maybe I'm biased because our household has two parents who both work full-time demanding jobs and have decent 45+ minute commutes...Even right now when daycare calls us and says a kid is sick and we have to come get them, it's a MINIMUM 1 hour before we can get there.  I'm not sure what time this shooting took place, but there's a good chance that even if they had run buses, some parent's wouldn't have been home.
I’m not sure this is the right place to discuss this, but we are dealing with a high school. They do not need to concern themselves with parents being home or not. Elementary schools would be much different story.

As to the bus point, my middle school had to be evacuated one day. We have about 1100 students across 3 grades. It took a total of 15 mins to get the busses here to bring us to the high school.

All that needed to be done was a quick message out to parents saying we had an issue at the high school today. All busses may be running late. More often than not, high schools are first to be dismissed. If that is the case, you have zero issues. Unless the event happened so early that the elementary busses have not picked up their am routes yet. 

It didn't hit the national news because it wasn't a mass school shooting.  The media really only goes after those.
There would have to be a channel completely dedicated to shootings in order for them all to be covered.  It makes sense that the national news only covers the larger shootings.

I’m not sure this is the right place to discuss this, but we are dealing with a high school. They do not need to concern themselves with parents being home or not. Elementary schools would be much different story.

As to the bus point, my middle school had to be evacuated one day. We have about 1100 students across 3 grades. It took a total of 15 mins to get the busses here to bring us to the high school.

All that needed to be done was a quick message out to parents saying we had an issue at the high school today. All busses may be running late. More often than not, high schools are first to be dismissed. If that is the case, you have zero issues. Unless the event happened so early that the elementary busses have not picked up their am routes yet. 
Yeah I'm not saying it couldn't have been done.  It's just more complicated than people give it credit.

Certainly they can improve and do things better/differently.  I just give them credit for dealing with it as well as they did.  We like to think we are prepared and have everything figured out for these types of incidents, but until they happen you don't really know the best response.

There would have to be a channel completely dedicated to shootings in order for them all to be covered.  It makes sense that the national news only covers the larger shootings.
But they can cover and devote tons of coverage to the starbucks dudes getting arrested?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe they choose to cover what they feel is going to get the most viewers.  No different than any channel.
I agree with that. I just dont think it is an issue of time or resources. 

I actually wonder if this story would have got any air time nationally if the school hadnt mentioned bullying. 

Bullying is a big topic these days. Had it just been a fight gone bad, like the recent shooting in my state, i dont think it gets covered. 

Users who are viewing this thread