What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

C.S. Lewis And The Screwtape Letters (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
I was looking forward to coming home from the doctor's office and reading that post that SID put up. 

What happened? 

Bummer. C.S. Lewis was one of the 20th Century's great Christian apologists. His talks during the dark days of WWII in Britain were said to have spiritually edified a nation at war with pure evil. 

rockaction said:
I was looking forward to coming home from the doctor's office and reading that post that SID put up. 

What happened? 

Bummer. C.S. Lewis was one of the 20th Century's great Christian apologists. His talks during the dark days of WWII in Britain were said to have spiritually edified a nation at war with pure evil. 
Ha, hey man, I'll give it another run, I took it down. Seemed too esoteric for the afternoon shift, I'll give it another run. I don't think I have your lyrical knack, but I'll do it.

Ha, hey man, I'll give it another run, I took it down. Seemed too esoteric for the afternoon shift, I'll give it another run. I don't think I have your lyrical knack, but I'll do it.
Sure you've got the knack. 

As far as esoteric, I was looking forward to reading the thread. I remember when I worked back where I worked, I was a noted atheist/agnostic. Always open-minded, I would ask people for resources, arguments, etc. One well-meaning fellow gave me C.S. Lewis's The Case For Christianity. What a well-written tract that was, and quite convincing to the layman.

So yeah, this sort of stuff is interesting to me.  

As far as esoteric, I was looking forward to reading the thread. I remember when I worked back where I worked, I was a noted atheist/agnostic. Always open-minded, I would ask people for resources, arguments, etc. One well-meaning fellow gave me C.S. Lewis's The Case For Christianity. What a well-written tract that was, and quite convincing to the layman.

If you want more good reading, read "Letters from a Skeptic"...it's actual letters between a believer and his atheist father.  Also "Myth of a Christian Nation" and "Myth of a Christian Religion".  You'll like them if you liked CS Lewis.  I had read SID's initial post and wanted to respond, but work got in the way.

If you want more good reading, read "Letters from a Skeptic"...it's actual letters between a believer and his atheist father.  Also "Myth of a Christian Nation" and "Myth of a Christian Religion".  You'll like them if you liked CS Lewis.  I had read SID's initial post and wanted to respond, but work got in the way.
Yeah, I think my time with actively pursuing the religion question has passed, but even though I just said that, I'm always on the look out for something new and interesting. So thanks. 

Too bad I was in the Dr.'s office or we could have kept the thread. As it is, there's this one, I guess.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Read his Mere Christianity as well if you haven’t. 

Here's the passage from Lewis. And thanks @SaintsInDome2006 for the idea.

Screwtape Proposes A Toast. By C.S. Lewis

We, in Hell, would welcome the disappearance of democracy in the strict sense of that word, the political arrangement so called. Like all forms of government, it often works to our advantage, but on the whole less often than other forms. And what we must realize is that “democracy” in the diabolical sense (I'm as good as you, Being Like Folks, Togetherness) is the fittest instrument we could possibly have for extirpating political democracies from the face of the earth. For “democracy” or the “democratic spirit” (diabolical sense) leads to a nation without great men, a nation mainly of subliterates, full of the cocksureness which flattery breeds on ignorance, and quick to snarl or whimper at the first sign of criticism. And that is what Hell wishes every democratic people to be. For when such a nation meets in conflict a nation where children have been made to work at school, where talent is placed in high posts, and where the ignorant mass are allowed no say at all in public affairs, only one result is possible.The democracies were surprised lately when they found that Russia had got ahead of them in science. What a delicious specimen of human blindness! If the whole tendency of their society is opposed to every sort of excellence, why did they expect their scientists to excel?It is our function to encourage the behaviour, the manners, the whole attitude of mind, which democracies naturally like and enjoy, because these are the very things which, if unchecked, will destroy democracy. You would almost wonder that even humans don't see it themselves. Even if they don't read Aristotle (that would be un-democratic) you would have thought the French Revolution would have taught them that the behaviour aristocrats naturally like is not the behaviour that preserves aristocracy. They might then have applied the same principle to all forms of government

If you're not familiar with the Screwtape Letters or Lewis, from Wikipedia:

The Screwtape Letters is a Christian apologetic novel by C. S. Lewis and dedicated to J. R. R. Tolkien. It is written in a satirical, epistolary style and while it is fictional in format, the plot and characters are used to address Christian theological issues, primarily those to do with temptation and resistance to it.

First published in February 1942,[1] the story takes the form of a series of letters from a senior demon Screwtape to his nephew Wormwood, a Junior Tempter. The uncle's mentorship pertains to the nephew's responsibility in securing the damnation of a British man known only as "the Patient".

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread