What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Calvin Johnson owners (1 Viewer)

gagull

Footballguy
Was his string of good games too good to be true? Are you depending on him for the playoffs (weeks 15 at Indy, 15 home vs Saints)?

I'm leaning towards we've been fortunate, but am stuck starting him for lack of a better option

I hate having a stud player on a garbage team. I really hoped that Kitna was going to ignite that cruddy team this year so I grabbed CJ. similar issue with AJ but back to CJ. I just cannot bring myself to sit him but I watch the game with a sour stomach. Culpepper is so damn awful....Calvin needs to learn how to catch with his feet.

fortunate. His high TD total is a fluke. Playing on a team that bad with a CFl level QB isn't good.

fortunate. His high TD total is a fluke. Playing on a team that bad with a CFl level QB isn't good.
:goodposting: I may give you that his TD total is inflated by a TD or two but that's about it. Most top 20 WR's have a catch:TD ratio around 8:1 and 10:1.

Johnson's is 6.625:1

I'm leaning toward "just that good".

I think we've been pleased. I'm a little worried now that the playoffs are upon us, but I can't bring myself to bench him, even for Eddie Royal who rides my pine.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a damn miracle that he is as good as he is with the rest of that awful team surrounding him. I look forward to the day that he has a competent supporting cast.

Has anybody ever heard him complain about his situation at all?

Seriously? Just for fun, a mod should condense these weekly threads into one giant Calvin doubting database and pin it :2cents:

He is what we thought he was: a monster talent on a bad team.

It's the same story every week. Positives: elite talent, plenty of targets, playing on a bad team insures plenty of garbage time opportunities, has the size/leaping ability to go get balls even in good coverage. Negatives: Terrible team & QB play limits his upside.

Seriously? Just for fun, a mod should condense these weekly threads into one giant Calvin doubting database and pin it :scared: He is what we thought he was: a monster talent on a bad team.It's the same story every week. Positives: elite talent, plenty of targets, playing on a bad team insures plenty of garbage time opportunities, has the size/leaping ability to go get balls even in good coverage. Negatives: Terrible team & QB play limits his upside.
:thumbup: "Megatron" is on one of the worst teams I've ever seen and they will probably go 0-16. He also has the added disadvantage of working with something like 4 or 5 REALLY BAD QBs who have most likely diminished his overall production. Yet he still is a #1 stud WR in ANY fantasy format, but people still want to doubt the guy. How many other WRs if faced with this scenario could continue to even remain fantasy relevant, let alone continue to produce as one of the top 5 or 6 WRs in the NFL?

In my PPR, I can only choose three among AJ, Marshall, CJ and Colston. In recent weeks, the decision was easy - bench Colston. But with him starting to come around, in that offense, I'm going to have a hard time benching him.

CJ is a stud, but unfortunately I don't see him as an absolute slam-dunk start.

I'll keep him on my team until he starts calling himself Ocho Uno. Then I'll realize he's gone wacko, and should be dumped.

It's so easy to just say "never bench your studs". Lame. :thumbup:

Did you guys play Steve Smith when Carr was at QB for a long stretch? How'd that work out?

The fact is that CJ's numbers will fluctuate with Pepper at the helm. Yes, he'll have some great games, but he will put up his share of stinkers too.

Seriously? Just for fun, a mod should condense these weekly threads into one giant Calvin doubting database and pin it :goodposting: He is what we thought he was: a monster talent on a bad team.It's the same story every week. Positives: elite talent, plenty of targets, playing on a bad team insures plenty of garbage time opportunities, has the size/leaping ability to go get balls even in good coverage. Negatives: Terrible team & QB play limits his upside.
:wub: Perception in the FF community as a population always lags reality. When a guy breaks out in his second year after being drafted in the 4th round, there will always be doubters. Those irrational fears go up exponentially when said player is on a bad team, even more so when it's a WR with a bad QB.Of course he will have the occassional off week a few times a year; he is probably 6-8 times as likely to have a good game, e.g., you have a 10-15% chance of guessing right. Thus, you just roll him out every week, regardless of matchup or other factors. He is that special.A year from now he'll go early second round and the expectations game will reverse itself. First time he goes 6-75-0 folks will complain...

It's so easy to just say "never bench your studs". Lame. :ptts: Did you guys play Steve Smith when Carr was at QB for a long stretch? How'd that work out? The fact is that CJ's numbers will fluctuate with Pepper at the helm. Yes, he'll have some great games, but he will put up his share of stinkers too.
You are correct that the bad team & bad QB play mean that his numbers will fluctuate more than they might under different circumstances. However, WRs almost always have this variability, especially in non-PPR leagues. Reggie Wayne has Peyton Manning and look how up and down he has been. As I've said over and over in these threads, if you have 3 other WRs putting up better numbers and performing more consistently than Calvin, then congratulations on drafting 3 out of Fitz, Boldin, Jennings or White (in addition to Calvin) because those are the only guys I see in my league who are performing around his PPG that have been more consistent.

I moved him 3 weeks ago for T.O. His numbers lately make me think he made a deal with the devil (66 yds seems to be his magic number).

I will never understand why they don't utilize him more, but this is the Lions we are talking about...

Right on cue :mellow:

Calvin Johnson, 70 Yd pass from Daunte Culpepper (Jason Hanson kick is good), 8:45. Drive: 3 plays, 80 yards in 2:05.

Culpepper hurt his arm at the end of the game, so cue the week 15 Calvin Johnson thread.

I still don't understand why they don't design even more plays to get the ball to Calvin, but we are talking about the Lions so using logic may be my first problem in trying to understand.

Heck yea, I'll be using him in the playoffs. How could you bench him? He is on a team that will be playing from behind every game. They will be forced to go to him because he is the only real weapon they have. And he has the rare physical tools to beat just about anyone. IMHO, it's really an ideal situation for a fantasy player.

we can't expect the same thing against Indy with Drew Henson at QB? Just don't see it happening....
If Culpepper doesn't play, Henson won't start. Stanton will. If Orlovsky's hand happens to improve, then he would start.
ok, if by some chance Stanton's melon improves and he gets past his blurry vision or whatever or somehow Orlovsky makes a miraculous comeback and can play this week despite minimal practice reps in over a month...do you think either of them would be effective?I hear Jeff George is looking for a job and still has a cannon arm, why not him?

I may actually NOT start him next week if C-Pep is out. Crazy but at least he was starting to know the offense a little.

the lesson is to ALWAYS start Calvin. Always. certainly a top-10 wr pick next year -- would be top-5 with a real qb. may be anyway. (boldin, a. johnson, fitz, smith, moss, white, jennings, to, marshall -- where would megatron rank in that list for next year's draft? 5? 6?)

I would like to see what Johnson would do with a good QB and offense.
If they keep that pathetic defense, draft a franchise QB and upgrade the O-Line - he'll set new records at virtually ever WR category in his career. The thought that he's on the verge of year #3, when WR's typically "get it"? Good Lord.

Users who are viewing this thread