What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Camping (1 Viewer)

The tent I’m looking at is this one 

I’m also infatuated with this teepee styled tent

That second one looks like a cross between a Dalek and an inflatable Christmas tree. I haven’t done the math, but I’d estimate that 104% of the interior space is useless.

I’m more used to backpacking type tents, but for car/family camping I like the high ceiling of the first one. With something that big though, I think I would want a “front porch” or big dining fly though.

It’s like they used all the leftover inventory at the tent company. Now, I’m obsessed with the tent too, but not in a good way. It’s messing up my whole morning.  This is like the 2 Girls 1 Cup of tents.

OMG, the deluxe version has like a 9 foot tunnel so you can  repressurize the atmosphere when you go camping on Mars.

Also, I think one of the 30 ropes just now tripped a defender in the Kentucky-Auburn game.

This tent could only be worse if it was made of actual poison ivy.

OMG, the deluxe version has like a 9 foot tunnel so you can  repressurize the atmosphere when you go camping on Mars.

Also, I think one of the 30 ropes just now tripped a defender in the Kentucky-Auburn game.

This tent could only be worse if it was made of actual poison ivy.
Where is it? I was looking for the larger one but couldn’t find it. 

ETA- the customer pictures look a million times better. I may buy this just to rile you up further. 

Last edited by a moderator:
STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
The tent I’m looking at is this one 
Not sure why anyone would want to sleep in the same tent as 9 other people.

Do yourself a favor and get a couple smaller tents instead so you can escape.

That being said - what a time to be alive - in that you can buy a ####### tent that is bigger than some apartments i have lived in for only 200 bucks

Not sure why anyone would want to sleep in the same tent as 9 other people.

Do yourself a favor and get a couple smaller tents instead so you can escape.

That being said - what a time to be alive - in that you can buy a ####### tent that is bigger than some apartments i have lived in for only 200 bucks
:bag:  That’s just for me and the wife. The Vietnam Christmas Tree tent is for the kids. They’re gonna hate me. Lol, might be just me in there.

Camping in FL (at least south of Tallahassee) for the most part is turrible. Too many people competing for limited real estate and it’s hot af most of the year. I miss camping out in Wyoming where campsites were abundant and people were naturally socially distanced.

Camping in FL (at least south of Tallahassee) for the most part is turrible. Too many people competing for limited real estate and it’s hot af most of the year. I miss camping out in Wyoming where campsites were abundant and people were naturally socially distanced.
I grew up in Florida and live in Northern Utah now and the camping here is like a totally different experience.  I hated camping when I lived in Florida but love it here.

IMO, the tent, sleeping bag, cooking utensils, camp comforts, etc are all secondary. The most important thing for old dudes like me is what you sleep on. I need to be up off the ground.

Ive used those tiny self-inflating backpacking pads and they’re barely better than sleeping on the ground. I’ve also used the big inflatable mattresses and they either eventually leak (at the worst possible time) and/or suck for two people to sleep on because it bounces the other person around.

When we car-camp, I have a big deluxe cot like this one. When we camp on the beach, I have a portable cot like this one. Both are way better than anything inflatable.

Yep, that's my problem. Would love find something halfway decent within a couple hours drive from Miami. Maybe sometime in November when  the weather is decent down here.

IMO, the tent, sleeping bag, cooking utensils, camp comforts, etc are all secondary. The most important thing for old dudes like me is what you sleep on. I need to be up off the ground.

Ive used those tiny self-inflating backpacking pads and they’re barely better than sleeping on the ground. I’ve also used the big inflatable mattresses and they either eventually leak (at the worst possible time) and/or suck for two people to sleep on because it bounces the other person around.

When we car-camp, I have a big deluxe cot like this one. When we camp on the beach, I have a portable cot like this one. Both are way better than anything inflatable.
I have always found cots to be good if you sleep on your back, but rough if you side sleep. 

D-Luxx

Prototype

ETA: The tunnel actually would be nice to take off wet boots, but dang that’s a lot of ropes.
The covered vestibule is really nice to have when it rains so you can leave wet shoes outside the tent, but within reach. Also great for wet dogs. It’s a must-have feature for me.  Otherwise, I have to say I hate the design of this tent. 

Seriously - pretty sure that's bigger than anyplace I lived during college.

Did just buy this one - found a good deal on it.  Intended for camping and bikepacking.  In a pinch the outer vestibule can be sleeping spots for two more.

Most of my camping is done out of my raft which is some sort of fusion between car camping (can bring heavier, bulkier items) and backpacking (once you shove off there is no going back to town for stuff or abandoning the trip). These pads  make for good sleeping and last forever. Two pads, one sleeping bag and some sheets is pretty close to a bed for my wife and I. As a bonus you can float on them in calm waters.

Just got back from a long weekend camping.  We had our 32 foot travel trailer stolen about 5 years ago so that ended our camping 5 to 7 times a year.  The kids and I went tent camping a few times, but even on a cot I'm too old for that kind of sleeping.  Recently bought a smaller travel trailer (about 22 feet) and love it (just me and the wife).  Have been 4 times since we bought it in April.

Anyway, one thing we didn't have before that we have now and is amazing:

Blackstone Griddle

Totally replaced our portable grill.  Have done burgers, steak, breakfast and grill cheese.  But our favorite is fajitas.  As good as in a  restaurant.  Going to try fried rice on our next trip.

Pretty easy to clean once you do it a few times.  Just season it when you get it and watch lots of youtube for ideas on how/what to cook.

Just got back from a long weekend camping.  We had our 32 foot travel trailer stolen about 5 years ago so that ended our camping 5 to 7 times a year.  The kids and I went tent camping a few times, but even on a cot I'm too old for that kind of sleeping.  Recently bought a smaller travel trailer (about 22 feet) and love it (just me and the wife).  Have been 4 times since we bought it in April.

Anyway, one thing we didn't have before that we have now and is amazing:

Blackstone Griddle

Totally replaced our portable grill.  Have done burgers, steak, breakfast and grill cheese.  But our favorite is fajitas.  As good as in a  restaurant.  Going to try fried rice on our next trip.

Pretty easy to clean once you do it a few times.  Just season it when you get it and watch lots of youtube for ideas on how/what to cook.
What kind of travel trailer do you have?

What kind of travel trailer do you have?
This

Salem Cruise Lite 171RBXL

We wanted something under/around 4000 lbs - we are towing it with my wife's Honda Pilot (max 5000 lbs).  We are staying about 2 hours out and avoiding very hilly places and so far the Pilot has done a great job (about 11 mpg though).  We travel light and sometimes take a 2nd car (my Jeep Wrangler) and load it down with bikes and other stuff.  The plan is to eventually get a truck (maybe a Gladiator) so that we can go further.

Oh and this time we are storing it in a way more credible place and have a better ball lock and this on it:

https://smile.amazon.com/Trimax-TCL65-Wheel-Chock-Lock/dp/B0031XULF2/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-drs1_0?cv_ct_cx=Trimax+TCL65+Wheel+Chock+Lock&dchild=1&keywords=Trimax+TCL65+Wheel+Chock+Lock&pd_rd_i=B0031XULF2&pd_rd_r=53750086-8866-4d24-9d84-2d43ebbedf21&pd_rd_w=234Q2&pd_rd_wg=AmZWN&pf_rd_p=99c7ce93-69a7-402a-ba4e-be326f866b88&pf_rd_r=C2WZ9A8JDT741TQ1BZYG&psc=1&qid=1601313681&sr=1-1-f6b8d51f-2c55-4dc3-89ad-0c3639671b2d

I'm guessing you don't do much cold weather camping? :unsure:

For a comfortable night sleep? I suggesting camping hammocks. he one I have has a integrated bug net. I use under and over quilts for warmth. No need for level ground either. I've yet to be cold in it. I've already weathered a reasonably sized snow storm (~8inches of snow by morning) and been down to 2degrees without finding its limit.  

The key to cold weather camping is paying attention to what is underneath you. Air and earth are both heatsinks and you need to slow down the heat transfer either way to have a warm comfortable night.

I grew up in Florida and live in Northern Utah now and the camping here is like a totally different experience.  I hated camping when I lived in Florida but love it here.
I grew up and still live in Mississippi and was okay with camping here as a kid.  We didn't do it much  though.  Then I moved to SLC after college for a few years and I think we went camping probably 60 days a year.  It was amazing.  

Now my kids are wanting to go and I try to explain to them how bad it sucks here!  We're going to give it a good, honest effort though.  Need to get a bigger tent.  2 adults, 3 kids...8 person tent at minimum right?

Pulled the trigger on the first one yesterday. Gonna try to hit the Shenandoah National Park in Va, this Friday. Hoping I can grab one of the first come first serve tent spots. 
Some light winds and light rain, you'll be fine. I wouldn't want to be in this during 15mph+ winds and heavy rains though so plan accordingly. SNP is awesome.  :thumbup:

I grew up and still live in Mississippi and was okay with camping here as a kid.  We didn't do it much  though.  Then I moved to SLC after college for a few years and I think we went camping probably 60 days a year.  It was amazing.  

Now my kids are wanting to go and I try to explain to them how bad it sucks here!  We're going to give it a good, honest effort though.  Need to get a bigger tent.  2 adults, 3 kids...8 person tent at minimum right?
Or two 4 person tents: one for the adults and one for the kids. Gives you some flexibility if you don’t all go camping every trip.

Any recommendations on a 1-2 person tent for backpacking?  I’m willing to spend a little but not looking to break the bank for super/ultra lightweight.  

Any recommendations on a 1-2 person tent for backpacking?  I’m willing to spend a little but not looking to break the bank for super/ultra lightweight.  
Big difference between a 1 and 2 person tent. 

how many people will be inside the tent? 

Big difference between a 1 and 2 person tent. 

how many people will be inside the tent? 
It could just be my lack of familiarity with them but I was under the impression that some people go backpacking and plan to sleep solo but still use a 2 person tent to have a little room.  I’m not claustrophobic but don’t want to feel like I’m in a coffin.

tl;dr - one person

I've got an REI Flash Air 2. It is great for 1 person. It would be a little snug for 2, but the vestibules are big enough for packs and boots.

I you're not an REI member, membership is only $20 lifetime and you get to shop at their Garage Sales for returned items at steep discounts. Due to COVID, most stores have dedicated a corner to Garage Sale items. I got my tent for $100. Someone had used it once and didn't like it.

I have a FlyCreek from Big Agnes and really like it. It is a "2 person" tent. But you better REALLY like the second person. I've also used TarpTent Double Rainbow. That fits 2 more comfortably. 

Good tents. I’ve found lots more deals on BigAgnes for what it’s worth. They seem more plentiful.  Don’t think you can go wrong with either brand 

AAABatteries said:
Do you use trekking poles when you hike?

Users who are viewing this thread