What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can A Player (1 Viewer)

Banemorth

Footballguy
Extremely unlikely scenario and I'm just curious if it's possible or not. Let's say a player plays a Thursday night game, gets traded on Friday, and his new team has a Monday night game. Could the new team plug him in right away, thus allowing him to play two games in the same week?

Couldn't find any specifics on Google and I didn't see anything in the trade rules that would prevent it.

Edit - I'm talking NFL not Fantasy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to see it happen just to see all of the :ptts: 's that result when a fantasy opponent's QB passes for 8 TDs in one week.

Wow, that would lead to most epic meltdown in some fantasy leagues that ever existed.

idon't have a link but I do believe it could NOT happen because there is some kind of new rule about player safety and being acclimated to the team. Terrell owens actually was added to the Seahawks but wasn't eligible to practice for so many days (there was actually a fine about this the hawks incurred). So I am guessing if you have a timeline to wait until practicing, there is alomost certainly soemthing related towards playing.

If nothing else, the players' union would probably balk, saying the player needed to be paid for an additional game or raised a safety issue.

Wow, that would lead to most epic meltdown in some fantasy leagues that ever existed. idon't have a link but I do believe it could NOT happen because there is some kind of new rule about player safety and being acclimated to the team. Terrell owens actually was added to the Seahawks but wasn't eligible to practice for so many days (there was actually a fine about this the hawks incurred). So I am guessing if you have a timeline to wait until practicing, there is alomost certainly soemthing related towards playing. If nothing else, the players' union would probably balk, saying the player needed to be paid for an additional game or raised a safety issue.
Closest thing I can think to this is Brandon Lloyd not having a bye last year. But two games in a row... that would cause some major arguments lol

Several players have played in 17 games since 1977 (when the NFL went to a 16-game schedule), but I can't find any evidence that any of them played 2 games in the same week.

Several players have played in 17 games since 1977 (when the NFL went to a 16-game schedule), but I can't find any evidence that any of them played 2 games in the same week.
I only see 5 according to pro football reference (?) Chris Singleton came closest, playing on a Sunday, Nov. 21 and then on Thanksgiving, Nov. 25, but that's still separate weeks.

I only see 5 according to pro football reference (?) Chris Singleton came closest, playing on a Sunday, Nov. 21 and then on Thanksgiving, Nov. 25, but that's still separate weeks.
That's the same as any Sunday/Thursday matchup..

That's the same as any Sunday/Thursday matchup..
Hence the reason I said that it was still separate weeks. Just pointing out, for no particular reason I guess, that it was the closest in time that I could find.

Extremely unlikely scenario and I'm just curious if it's possible or not. Let's say a player plays a Thursday night game, gets traded on Friday, and his new team has a Monday night game. Could the new team plug him in right away, thus allowing him to play two games in the same week?Couldn't find any specifics on Google and I didn't see anything in the trade rules that would prevent it.Edit - I'm talking NFL not Fantasy.
Perfectly legal by NFL rules. It would inevitably happen at some point if only there was really any in-season trading in the NFL

Extremely unlikely scenario and I'm just curious if it's possible or not. Let's say a player plays a Thursday night game, gets traded on Friday, and his new team has a Monday night game. Could the new team plug him in right away, thus allowing him to play two games in the same week?Couldn't find any specifics on Google and I didn't see anything in the trade rules that would prevent it.Edit - I'm talking NFL not Fantasy.
Perfectly legal by NFL rules. It would inevitably happen at some point if only there was really any in-season trading in the NFL
How about FG kicker blows a game on Thursday night, gets cut, gets picked up by someone else and plays on Sunday?

How about FG kicker blows a game on Thursday night, gets cut, gets picked up by someone else and plays on Sunday?
I would hate kickers twice as much that week!

I'm sure it's possible....but I just can't see it happening.Usually when teams are on the verge of trading players they get benched. Seems to happen in almost all professional sports. Less so in football because trading players during the season is so infrequent, but I still can't see an NFL player allowing a player to play and then trade him the next day.

It's theoretically possible in the modern era (with games on Thursdays and Mondays), but I'd be shocked if it ever happened in the olden days (when games were primarily on Sundays).

I don't see anything prohibiting it in the text of the Collective Bargaining Agreement from the NFLPA. The only rule that comes close is the prohibition on cut players signing with the old team's next opponent within a certain timeframe.

Users who are viewing this thread