What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can Near-Unanimous Valuations Be Self-Fulfilling? (1 Viewer)

eighsse2

Footballguy
This topic has come up briefly at times. But still curious as to the ultimate truth of the issue.

Suppose every owner in your dynasty league aside from yourself has unanimously skewed valuations. Say everyone overvalues RB's versus the other positions (overvalue meaning valuing them more highly than any logical, statistical analysis would). Then, if you want to acquire a RB in a trade, you must pay far more than you "should" have to. If you want to acquire a RB with a draft pick, you will have to dig deeper into the RB list than you "should" have to with that specific pick (and also you must be passing up on several better "BPA"s). The obvious conclusions are, Take the way better BPA with that draft pick, dummy! and Don't trade for a RB, dummy; you'll have to overpay! And while you're at it, trade away that solid RB that you do have, you'll get better value than you deserve!

But then ... Where do you get your RB's if the values are all skewed like that? You still have to have RB's. The monopolized opinions, even if they're wrong, force the values to change to the market value dictated by the rest of the league.

Free agency is a good answer, I suppose. Use draft picks to grab the non-RB BPAs that fall to you, and then do your best to grab RB's off waivers after there is an injury to the starter.

There's no black and white answer, just wondering what decisions you would make in that situation. You can imagine it to an extreme, you know, where trading Justin Jefferson for a RB might only get you someone like Pollard or Jacobs; and where a 16th pick in the rookie draft would leave you to choose from the QB2, the WR3, or the RB13 of the class.

If you have an abundance of talent at WR then you should be able to find a decent trade partner to fill in that missing ingredient at RB.
I draft WR heavy in the first 4-5 rounds of most redrafts I play these days. I could explain why but I don't think I need to
RB gets injured a lot more frequent and do not fulfill their high draft spots.
Many times a platoon of mid and later round RBs will produce at least 1 starter and if you've done well at WR, RB2 isn't as big a burden.
Also helps to be strong at QB
WR, QB and TE can all be grabbed on many weeks off the scrap pile for bye week fillers and sometimes you get lucky, hard to do at RB and that drives up their stock.
No B&W answers as you say

Last edited:
Think of every league as its own value enclosed system. That means in those environments the "value" you are talking about isn't real for that league microclimate. There are ways to take some advantage but by and large the league owners set the value parameters. If there is enough inertia (as you describe in the OP) then you have to adjust your valuations to match the valuations in the microclimate. I am not saying you have to swing all the way over but you do have to change your values because in that reality they are changed.

Users who are viewing this thread