What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Carson Palmer TRADED to Cardinals.. I could care less (1 Viewer)

DeaLerZ

Footballguy
got to think it is some kind of upgrade for Fitzgerald.... even if it isn't a big one.. Palmer has made plenty of WR's fantasy relevant even if he is long past his prime

discuss

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't you have scanned over the TOP HALF of page one? There is already a Fitzgerald support group thread.
my bad... I wouldn't want to clog up your viewing with a meaningless topic

and would you really pay any attention to a thread with "Carson Palmer" attached to it, if the name "Fitzgerald" didn't follow..i know I wouldn't have

Couldn't you have scanned over the TOP HALF of page one? There is already a Fitzgerald support group thread.
I dont think he committed a sin. Palmer traded probably deserves its own thread.
I agree that it does deserve its own thread, but the context of the title is uncanny.
do you care that Carson Palmer was traded... or do you care more about what it does for Fitzgerald??..... and I hope that "Thread" title serves to your liking because I don't think we could move on without that happening..

I think you mean you couldn't care less.
ahhh... but i did not because even though I do not care that much... i still do care.. but only simply because of the potential value of Fitzgerald... and being a potential steal due to his recent season to be forgotten due to a season filled with abismal QB play, and the nature of fantasy players to often over look players who have great value just because of last year's stats.....

"I couldn't care less" would mean that “it is impossible for me to have less interest or concern in this matter, since I am already utterly indifferent”.. which just simply is not true...

now we can please discuss the actual issue at hand...

Solid work by the Raiders. Can't wait to see what picks they eventually convert Flynn into.

-QG

Awesome start to this thread.

FWIW, I think this is very good for Palmer, Fitz, and Mendy/R Williams. In my mind, Fitz is a top 10 WR again. The Cards should also be able to focus on their offensive line in the draft, and that should help both Palmer and the RBs. Also, there is an upgrade for Palmer as well. Fitzgerald/Floyd/Roberts are much better receiving options than Moore/DHB/Streeter.

Palmer may not be what he once was, but he's infinitely better than what the Cards have been trotting out there since Warner left.

I was looking forward to seeing if Stanton had any talent whatsoever.

I would imagine that they will jettison Skelton soon.

Carson was overpaid in Oakland, and is overpaid as well in Arizona. It's funny when you compare him to Tony Romo, who has one probowl win and is 4 months younger than Carson at 33 years of age. He gets $55 million gtd and no one blinks!

For those of us in 2QB leagues, this is pretty relevant as well. Last year Palmer finished 16th in PPG, so was a quality second QB. AZ has more weapons in the passing game than Oakland did in 2012, so if he even has a slight uptick on his stats from last year, he could be a top tier #2 QB that probably won't be drafted until 20 other guys have been taken.

...he could be a top tier #2 QB that probably won't be drafted until 20 other guys have been taken.
Agreed. Could be a garbage time hero!
I realize that last year isn't this year, but he finished ahead of:

Dalton

Freeman

Vick

E. Manning

Bradford

Schaub

Rivers

Cutler

Tannehill

All of those guys I could easily see having a higher ADP for next year. In dynasty I wouldn't be jumping for joy if Palmer was my QB2, but in a redraft he could be a steal.

Agree with earlier poster, could be lots of garbage time catches, yards, and TDs for Fitz if the Cards still stink like most of us assume they will....

Palmer will get a new contract in Arizona that CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reports is worth as much as $20 million over two years. The deal is worth $16 million over two years without incentives and has $10 million guaranteed.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21995999/raiders-trade-carson-palmer-to-cardinals-for-seventh-round-pick

For a second I though that Arians might still have Stanton in line to start but with the money Palmer is getting it makes it a forgone conclusion that he will start.

It's funny when you compare him to Tony Romo, who has one probowl win and is 4 months younger than Carson at 33 years of age.
Pro Bowl Wins are a thing now? At the very least, this Palmer dynasty owner sees him as a tradeable asset now, where on the Raiders no one would want to touch him. And how bad is AZ QB situation when Flynn is viewed as an upgrade over Palmer, and Palmer is viewed as an even bigger upgrade over the PuPu platter they've been trotting out the last two years.

Awesome start to this thread.

FWIW, I think this is very good for Palmer, Fitz, and Mendy/R Williams. In my mind, Fitz is a top 10 WR again. The Cards should also be able to focus on their offensive line in the draft, and that should help both Palmer and the RBs. Also, there is an upgrade for Palmer as well. Fitzgerald/Floyd/Roberts are much better receiving options than Moore/DHB/Streeter.

Palmer may not be what he once was, but he's infinitely better than what the Cards have been trotting out there since Warner left.
thank you for actual input haha...

I agree with much of what you say, and that Fitz could be a great pick in the mid-late 3rd round of most drafts due to his potential to be a top performer

Kudos to the Raiders for cutting their losses on this one (amid many fanboys saying "Palmer is the best player on the team.") You took a gamble, it didn't work out, time to move on.

Not a bad move for Arizona, either; unlike when the Raiders picked up Palmer, AZ's cost is low, and he's clearly an upgrade over what they have had. They're not close to returning to the Super Bowl, and this is much more like brining in Matt Hasselbeck than Kurt Warner, but it's a move in the right direction which will allow them to focus on the OL in the draft.

I think you mean you couldn't care less.
:thanks:

Kudos to the Raiders for cutting their losses on this one (amid many fanboys saying "Palmer is the best player on the team.") You took a gamble, it didn't work out, time to move on.

Not a bad move for Arizona, either; unlike when the Raiders picked up Palmer, AZ's cost is low, and he's clearly an upgrade over what they have had. They're not close to returning to the Super Bowl, and this is much more like brining in Matt Hasselbeck than Kurt Warner, but it's a move in the right direction which will allow them to focus on the OL in the draft.
Playing devil's advocate, but is it possible Palmer was the best player on that team and it was still a good move? They needed cap space and needed to get younger...

If I was a Fitz owner, I'd be excited.

Been careful when considering this an uptick for Palmer. I love Fitz of course, but AZ's OL is scary bad and Palmer is a statue.

Been careful when considering this an uptick for Palmer. I love Fitz of course, but AZ's OL is scary bad and Palmer is a statue.
if he can get rid of the ball quickly the line instantly looks better (see Warner). also, the Cards rushed the ball better last year. combined with a good defense they should finish in third place in the division again.

For those of us in 2QB leagues, this is pretty relevant as well. Last year Palmer finished 16th in PPG, so was a quality second QB. AZ has more weapons in the passing game than Oakland did in 2012, so if he even has a slight uptick on his stats from last year, he could be a top tier #2 QB that probably won't be drafted until 20 other guys have been taken.
Oh yeah, fantasywise, especially if INTs don't matter in your league, Palmer could be a decent cheap play for a 2nd QB - though the risk of injury due to his lack of mobility and the line in front of him tempers that a bit.

-QG

if he can get rid of the ball quickly the line instantly looks better (see Warner). also, the Cards rushed the ball better last year. combined with a good defense they should finish in third place in the division again.
Palmer doesn't make good decisions when rushed - getting rid of the ball quickly leads to turnovers. Ever since the 2nd injury (when the Giants broke his nose) his pocket presence has been very tentative when under pressure. He also doesn't just take the sack often enough.

-QG

It's funny when you compare him to Tony Romo, who has one probowl win and is 4 months younger than Carson at 33 years of age.
Pro Bowl Wins are a thing now?At the very least, this Palmer dynasty owner sees him as a tradeable asset now, where on the Raiders no one would want to touch him.And how bad is AZ QB situation when Flynn is viewed as an upgrade over Palmer, and Palmer is viewed as an even bigger upgrade over the PuPu platter they've been trotting out the last two years.
He's also undefeated (6-0) at Hungry Hungry Hippos during his daughter's birthday parties.

As a Seahawk fan, I'm ecstatic about this move. Sherman and Thomas must be just salivating right now.
Yeah, because he's going to be so much worse than the trash they had out there last year, right? :rolleyes:
Actually yes. Palmer can throw the ball a decent distance with decent velocity. Palmer is the pick six king on ill advised passes to CB's. The trash prior to him were lucky to get it past LB coverage.

Abspara said:
humpback said:
mad sweeney said:
As a Seahawk fan, I'm ecstatic about this move. Sherman and Thomas must be just salivating right now.
Yeah, because he's going to be so much worse than the trash they had out there last year, right? :rolleyes:
Actually yes. Palmer can throw the ball a decent distance with decent velocity. Palmer is the pick six king on ill advised passes to CB's. The trash prior to him were lucky to get it past LB coverage.
Actually no. Palmer "the pick six king" had 2 INTs returned for a TD last year while Arizona QBs had 5 (plus a fumble returned for a TD and a safety, neither of which Palmer had).

Joe Summer said:
Pro Bowl Winner!!!!!!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
I think the "Pro Bowl Win" comment was a slight as in "all he has on his resume is one Pro Bowl Win and he got $$$ guaranteed".

But, to be truthful, I couldn't care less about semantics. Meaning that I don't care and, no matter the circumstance, I couldn't conceive of caring less than I do at this moment. Is that clear?

In my league he scored more than Flacco, Eli, Schaub, Rivers, Locker, and Cutler. He didn't have anywhere near the talent of any of those guys to throw to. All signs pointing up

Last I checked no one's fixed the Arizona OL and Palmer didn't exactly have killer speed... Hopefully for his sake he doesn't take too much of a beating facing the two best Ds in the league 4 times this season

In my league he scored more than Flacco, Eli, Schaub, Rivers, Locker, and Cutler. He didn't have anywhere near the talent of any of those guys to throw to. All signs pointing up
They didn't have near the garbage time he did either.

I'm not Palmers biggest fan, but he showed me something towards the end of the 2010 season with the Raiders.

Of course then the Raiders screwed the pooch by changing the coaching staff. What promised to be a good-great fantasy offense got mired in trying to get McFadden to do the impossible.

Would have loved to have seen Palmer in 2012 with Hue Jackson as head coach.

I'm not Palmers biggest fan, but he showed me something towards the end of the 2010 season with the Raiders.

Of course then the Raiders screwed the pooch by changing the coaching staff. What promised to be a good-great fantasy offense got mired in trying to get McFadden to do the impossible.

Would have loved to have seen Palmer in 2012 with Hue Jackson as head coach.
We saw him in 2011 with Hue as Head Coach in Oakland. That's all the preview I needed. 13 TD's and 16 int. while playing for Hue, Not all that impressive.

Palmer, Fitzgerald, Roberts, Floyd, Mendenhall, Housler in an offense ran by Bruce Arians. Bruce Arians has been successful in Indianapolis and Pittsburgh the past few years. If anything, Palmer guarantees that Fitzgerald will be seeing the ball.Which means the Cardinals will probably be winning more games and if the Cardinals now address Offensive Line in the Draft. Watch the #### out NFL. We know what division we're in. ;)

What Palmer has to work with Offensively in Arizona is much better than he had to work with in Oakland. Darren McFadden (eh), Denarius Moore... he's good for how late he was drafted and whatnot. He's just not exceptional. Darrius Heyward-Bey (cut).

Get Fitzgerald inspired and show him that you can consistently hit him deep. At times I felt watching that Larry literally knew the team he was playing for was garbage. Palmer is competent enough to get Fitzigerald the ball and truthfully this past year I was pretty impressed with Andre Roberts.

Let's put our thinking caps on. Who caught passes for Andrew Luck last year?

106 / 1,355 Yards / 5 Touchdowns. -Reggie Wayne

I know Andrew Luck is the messiah but I still think rusty old Palmer has enough gas in him where if he was truly motivated to win, he can go on a run similar to Michael Vick's first year starting in Philly; or even Kurt Warner preceding that.

Reggie Wayne is no slouch but the possibility of getting Fitzgerald to 100 Catches puts him on my radar big time. He's gonna be underdrafted; underrated.

Palmer threw for over 4,000 yards in Oakland last season. If he could bleed 4,000 yards out of that group, dividing 4,000 yards between the skill players in Arizona (Fitzgerald, Roberts, Floyd, Housler, Mendenhall) makes you wonder who could possibly produce this season. I like Fitzgerald and Roberts. I'm not ready to hop on the Floyd bandwagon but someone might be valuable here this season.

Last I checked no one's fixed the Arizona OL and Palmer didn't exactly have killer speed... Hopefully for his sake he doesn't take too much of a beating facing the two best Ds in the league 4 times this season
Levi Brown will be back and it seems to me that Arians is likely to be drafting Offensive Lineman in this draft. They're going to look to draft a Franchise Quarterback soon. It just makes sense to bring Palmer in so there is no pressure to draft a guy with a First Rounder if he's not there.Grab some talent for your line because you are actually relatively solid everywhere else.

They didn't have near the garbage time he did either.
Garbage time or not, it's not like he threw the ball 700 times. He finished 8th in attempts. He's now moving from the Raiders (39.3 att/gm) to the Cardinals (38.0 att/gm). Of course the Cards have a new coach, but I suspect they'll need to throw the ball quite a bit again this year. Arians threw the ball 39.3 times per game last year. Palmer's best weapon is going from Myers to Fitzgerald. Palmer's mobility and the O-line should be cause for concern, though. If they go OT with their first pick, I'm down with Palmer as my QB2.

Users who are viewing this thread