What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CARSON PALMERS INJURY (1 Viewer)

Purpulhippo999

Footballguy
well as many of you know already Carson Palmer tore his ACL in the 1st quarter of the Bengals-Steelers game. Although he has been phenomenal all year, I believe that the Bengals can advance past the Steelers in the playoffs. Chad Johnson is a game breaker, Rudi Johnson is solid, and the Bengals D aint that bad either. How do you think the Bengals would have done this season/ will do in the playoffs without Palmer?

Garts

Footballguy
well as many of you know already Carson Palmer tore his ACL in the 1st quarter of the Bengals-Steelers game. Although he has been phenomenal all year, I believe that the Bengals can advance past the Steelers in the playoffs. Chad Johnson is a game breaker, Rudi Johnson is solid, and the Bengals D aint that bad either. How do you think the Bengals would have done this season/ will do in the playoffs without Palmer?
WEll, they are down 3 now and may have lost momentum.

NY/NJMFDIVER

Footballguy
I think they could have beaten the Colts with Palmer. But I think they would have a tough time in Denver with whoever was QBing. Kitna is no slouch though, he's probably the best backup QB in the NFL, and it wouldn't suprise me to see him chanel Hostetler and help Cincy make some noise.But first things first, the Bus has rumbled in and you've got to beat Pitt, maybe the hottest team in the AFC.

Sinrman

Footballguy
In real life, I think they can manage without Palmer. Kitna is one of the best backups in the NFL, and can fill in nicely.In fantasy, however, that does not bode well for Palmer owners. ACL injuries take quite some time to heal, and here he is injuring it in January. Will be tough for him to be ready for the 2006 season...

gman8343

What would Lemmy do?
Did I mishear or did they say Palmer would be ready for training camp? That sounds kinda optimistic.

JZilla

Footballguy
They'll resign Kitna because he just KILLED his value. With the rookie QBs available out there, no one is going to throw any real cash his way.Whether Palmer makes it back before the season or not, irrelevant. Kitna's good enough to sustain, but he's not good enough to put a franchise on.

It means this off season they'll need to keep Kitna (a UFA - right?) and/or find another starter quality QB. That'll cost them flexibility with the salary cap.

flapgreen

Footballguy
Not sure if you guys heard them say but he tore his mcl also. And i would guess he probably has some medial meniscus damage too. If you want to google the injury to find out more about it, it's called the "unhappy triad."

Last edited by a moderator:

BigJohn

Footballguy
They'll resign Kitna because he just KILLED his value. With the rookie QBs available out there, no one is going to throw any real cash his way.

Whether Palmer makes it back before the season or not, irrelevant. Kitna's good enough to sustain, but he's not good enough to put a franchise on.
:no:

RAPTURE

Footballguy
Palmer with the dreaded tri-fecta: ACL, PCL & MCL tear. The same injury as D-Culp. It will be tough for Palmer to be back by the start of next year.RAPTURE

flapgreen

Footballguy
Palmer with the dreaded tri-fecta: ACL, PCL & MCL tear. The same injury as D-Culp.

It will be tough for Palmer to be back by the start of next year.

RAPTURE
Are you sure they said PCL?

JZilla

Footballguy
They'll resign Kitna because he just KILLED his value.  With the rookie QBs available out there, no one is going to throw any real cash his way.

Whether Palmer makes it back before the season or not, irrelevant. Kitna's good enough to sustain, but he's not good enough to put a franchise on.
Kitna can beat crummy teams. He can hold it together. If he has to play the whole season, they're doomed, but I highly doubt he will.

knowledge dropper

Footballguy
It's safe to say Dr. Kremchek will be in the news a lot over the coming months, and for once he will not be talking about Ken Griffey Jr.

Family Matters

Footballguy
This is how I see it.1. Palmer is likely out with an ACL until around Oct-according to Dave Lapham.2. Kitna's value didn't change in so much as they must resign him in order to maintain continuity until Palmer returns, whenever that is. A healthy Palmer and they may let him walk but now I think they feel like they need him.3. The Bengals weren't likely going past next week anyway. Can Lewis use this situation to rally the team for motivation next year? Absolutely. I fully expect the Bengals to rally next year and go further so long as they don't stumble out of gate waiting for Palmer.

jetpack

Footballguy
This is how I see it.

1. Palmer is likely out with an ACL until around Oct-according to Dave Lapham.

2. Kitna's value didn't change in so much as they must resign him in order to maintain continuity until Palmer returns, whenever that is. A healthy Palmer and they may let him walk but now I think they feel like they need him.

3. The Bengals weren't likely going past next week anyway. Can Lewis use this situation to rally the team for motivation next year? Absolutely. I fully expect the Bengals to rally next year and go further so long as they don't stumble out of gate waiting for Palmer.
It will be interesting to see how Cincy can sustain waiting for Palmer with a 1st place schedule instead of a third-place schedule next year. As a die-hard Steeler fan, here's hoping Palmer heals quickly. He makes the AFC North a more respected division.

This is how I see it.

2. Kitna's value didn't change in so much as they must resign him in order to maintain continuity until Palmer returns, whenever that is. A healthy Palmer and they may let him walk but now I think they feel like they need him.

3. The Bengals weren't likely going past next week anyway. Can Lewis use this situation to rally the team for motivation next year? Absolutely. I fully expect the Bengals to rally next year and go further so long as they don't stumble out of gate waiting for Palmer.
It will be interesting to see how Cincy can sustain waiting for Palmer with a 1st place schedule instead of a third-place schedule next year. As a die-hard Steeler fan, here's hoping Palmer heals quickly. He makes the AFC North a more respected division.
:goodposting: Now that's what I call sportsmanship...... :thumbup:

Spiderman

Footballguy
Did I mishear or did they say Palmer would be ready for training camp? That sounds kinda optimistic.
Wishful thinking in my book.
Those thoughts were way too pre-mature. I laughed when I heard that - the injury just happened, and yet they're predicting a timetable within a hour. On top of that, they later added that he tore both his ACL/MCL (earlier it was reported that only his ACL was torn).Better resign Kitna, maybe draft a QB in the early rounds because I have a hard time believing Palmer is going to be back in the early part of the season.

Spiderman

Footballguy
They'll resign Kitna because he just KILLED his value.  With the rookie QBs available out there, no one is going to throw any real cash his way.

Kitna can beat crummy teams. He can hold it together. If he has to play the whole season, they're doomed, but I highly doubt he will.
I think with Kitna in, they are still a wildcard contender, maybe 9 wins if they forced him to play an entire season. They do have enough offensive weapons to put up enough points to win with Kitna - they just wouldn't be an elite offense as they are with Palmer.What this should do is really put the focus on improving this defense for next season. Whether Kitna plays the majority of the 1st half, or Palmer comes back, it may be a lot to ask Palmer to put up massive numbers next season. They have to improve that defense.

toxicbees

Footballguy
If only he was still wearing that knee brace that he was earlier this year he wouldn't have torn the ACL. All linemen wear knee braces, why not QBs, are the braces that restrictive?With top notch doctors and 6 hours of rehab per day he'll be back pretty quick. He may be ready for the start of the 2006 season, but he won't be 100%, and he'll pretty much stay a pocket passer. ACLs take about 2 years to fully recover, and even then it's not the same as it was prior to the injury.

Spiderman

Footballguy
If only he was still wearing that knee brace that he was earlier this year he wouldn't have torn the ACL. All linemen wear knee braces, why not QBs, are the braces that restrictive?

With top notch doctors and 6 hours of rehab per day he'll be back pretty quick. He may be ready for the start of the 2006 season, but he won't be 100%, and he'll pretty much stay a pocket passer. ACLs take about 2 years to fully recover, and even then it's not the same as it was prior to the injury.
If Cincinnati resigns Palmer, I wouldn't rush him back on the field. They may not start 4-0 or anything like that, but if he can them afloat until Palmer can come back, that's what I do.

Norman Einstein

Footballguy
If only he was still wearing that knee brace that he was earlier this year he wouldn't have torn the ACL. All linemen wear knee braces, why not QBs, are the braces that restrictive?
looks like in the replays he was wearing a knee brace

QuizGuy66

Footballguy
Random stuff:Palmer was wearing the brace.It's true the Bengals.com and espn reports differ at this point - espn says MCL and ACL, Bengals just say ACL. Regardless, it ain't good.Kitna did hurt his value I think, more so because of the decisions he made later under pressure. He's decent and better than a lot of options out there, but I don't think you'll see a team give him their starting job w/o a competition. He's been a true 'company guy' and likes Cincinnati a lot and likes raising his family there. I always thought there was a shot they'd keep him (pre-injury) and this probably bumps that up some to be sure. My gut tells me he stays, actually. He's a class act and I think he won't forget the fact that the Bengals gave him a bonus for completion percentage that he had barely fallen short of a couple years ago. I like to think the results would be better if he were in the whole time vs. in relief, but I'm not so sure. Still he's surely better than any other backup we could get.The difference between 1st and 2nd place schedules isn't really all that great any more. There are only 2 teams that the Bengals will play that the Steelers won't. The Bengals get the Colts and Patriots. The Steelers gets the Jaguars and Dolphins. An edge for the Steelers for sure, but with the new schedule method that started when the Texans made the league 32-teams, it really hasn't been that big a factor. That said, getting the AFC West and NFC South as the out of division opponents next year should make things tough on all 4 AFC North teams.Sadly my decision of Palmer vs. S. Jackson as my 2nd keeper pretty much is done with that injury. Knowing my league, Palmer might go before my 3rd pick at #29, but given the seriousness of the injury the value clearly isn't there :( I do think this will affect him less than it will Culpepper, since running really wasn't any part of Palmer's game at all.A lost thought in all of this was how Marvin handled the team coming into the game. I'm not sure I agree with putting the clamps on Chad during the press week, actually. Then again, I think it's a minor quibble given all that Marvin's brought to us.WHO DEY!!!!-QG

cstu

Footballguy
The brace won't prevent ACL injuries.

Keysersoze666

Footballguy
Random stuff:

Palmer was wearing the brace.

It's true the Bengals.com and espn reports differ at this point - espn says MCL and ACL, Bengals just say ACL. Regardless, it ain't good.

Kitna did hurt his value I think, more so because of the decisions he made later under pressure. He's decent and better than a lot of options out there, but I don't think you'll see a team give him their starting job w/o a competition. He's been a true 'company guy' and likes Cincinnati a lot and likes raising his family there. I always thought there was a shot they'd keep him (pre-injury) and this probably bumps that up some to be sure. My gut tells me he stays, actually. He's a class act and I think he won't forget the fact that the Bengals gave him a bonus for completion percentage that he had barely fallen short of a couple years ago. I like to think the results would be better if he were in the whole time vs. in relief, but I'm not so sure. Still he's surely better than any other backup we could get.

The difference between 1st and 2nd place schedules isn't really all that great any more. There are only 2 teams that the Bengals will play that the Steelers won't. The Bengals get the Colts and Patriots. The Steelers gets the Jaguars and Dolphins. An edge for the Steelers for sure, but with the new schedule method that started when the Texans made the league 32-teams, it really hasn't been that big a factor. That said, getting the AFC West and NFC South as the out of division opponents next year should make things tough on all 4 AFC North teams.

Sadly my decision of Palmer vs. S. Jackson as my 2nd keeper pretty much is done with that injury. Knowing my league, Palmer might go before my 3rd pick at #29, but given the seriousness of the injury the value clearly isn't there :( I do think this will affect him less than it will Culpepper, since running really wasn't any part of Palmer's game at all.

A lost thought in all of this was how Marvin handled the team coming into the game. I'm not sure I agree with putting the clamps on Chad during the press week, actually. Then again, I think it's a minor quibble given all that Marvin's brought to us.

WHO DEY!!!!

-QG
Well said overall. Kitna's idea of fair and how the Bengal's have treated him will hopefully result in a positive outcome for all involved.

ShaqAttaq

Morally Ambiguous
If only he was still wearing that knee brace that he was earlier this year he wouldn't have torn the ACL.  All linemen wear knee braces, why not QBs, are the braces that restrictive?
The brace won't prevent ACL injuries.
i also suffered an ACL injury while wearing a brace similar to palmer's.

Futeki

Footballguy
I am no doctor, but I have gone through a number of injuries...There is a big difference between partial tears, major tears, complete tears, etc. My understanding it was a complete tear of the ACL. The ACL often requires surgery anyways. A clean, complete tear certainly does not cause any complexities. I heard the MCL was torn, but never that it was complete. An MCL, even a near complete tear, can heal fine on its own, depending.Many of the injuries can allow for straight line running within a couple of months. Rigorous side to side movements are what can really take time. Even then, it is a weakness resulting in increased risk of reinjuring, not an automatice retearing. If Palmer were a running back or especially a wide receiver, he would be in big trouble. However, as a drop back QB, being ready for training camp is not an unexpected reach. However, I highly doubt he'll be scrambling at that time!

Last edited by a moderator:

Family Matters

Footballguy
This is how I see it.

:goodposting: Now that's what I call sportsmanship...... :thumbup:
I agree. Nice posts guys!

Family Matters

Footballguy
Random stuff:

Palmer was wearing the brace.

It's true the Bengals.com and espn reports differ at this point - espn says MCL and ACL, Bengals just say ACL. Regardless, it ain't good.

Kitna did hurt his value I think, more so because of the decisions he made later under pressure. He's decent and better than a lot of options out there, but I don't think you'll see a team give him their starting job w/o a competition. He's been a true 'company guy' and likes Cincinnati a lot and likes raising his family there. I always thought there was a shot they'd keep him (pre-injury) and this probably bumps that up some to be sure. My gut tells me he stays, actually. He's a class act and I think he won't forget the fact that the Bengals gave him a bonus for completion percentage that he had barely fallen short of a couple years ago. I like to think the results would be better if he were in the whole time vs. in relief, but I'm not so sure. Still he's surely better than any other backup we could get.

The difference between 1st and 2nd place schedules isn't really all that great any more. There are only 2 teams that the Bengals will play that the Steelers won't. The Bengals get the Colts and Patriots. The Steelers gets the Jaguars and Dolphins. An edge for the Steelers for sure, but with the new schedule method that started when the Texans made the league 32-teams, it really hasn't been that big a factor. That said, getting the AFC West and NFC South as the out of division opponents next year should make things tough on all 4 AFC North teams.

Sadly my decision of Palmer vs. S. Jackson as my 2nd keeper pretty much is done with that injury. Knowing my league, Palmer might go before my 3rd pick at #29, but given the seriousness of the injury the value clearly isn't there :( I do think this will affect him less than it will Culpepper, since running really wasn't any part of Palmer's game at all.

A lost thought in all of this was how Marvin handled the team coming into the game. I'm not sure I agree with putting the clamps on Chad during the press week, actually. Then again, I think it's a minor quibble given all that Marvin's brought to us.

WHO DEY!!!!

-QG
Nice post Quiz! BTW-that's the reason we wait to name keepers. At least wait until spring training. Of course it can still happen.As for Kitna, I don't thonk he hurt his value. A back up is a back up and he's going to get back up money. I agree they have a great relationship and they want each other so I think it works out.

Users who are viewing this thread