What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Carthon Making the Rounds (1 Viewer)

wannabee

Footballguy
Browns' Carthon Wraps Up Interviews With Saints

Offensive Coordinator Might Also Be Candidate for Lions, Packers

By BRETT MARTEL, AP

NEW ORLEANS (Jan. 11) - Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon says the rebuilding process from Hurricane Katrina would not deter him from taking the Saints head coaching job if it was offered to him.

Carthon, a former New York Giants player who considers Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick among his coaching mentors, wrapped up formal interviews on Wednesday with New Orleans, which has had a coaching opening since firing Jim Haslett the day after the regular season.

Carthon also has been mentioned as a candidate for the head coaching jobs at Detroit and Green Bay. Meanwhile, Dallas Cowboys quarterbacks coach Sean Payton arrived to meet with the Saints on Wednesday night and Thursday morning.

Like Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, who interviewed in New Orleans earlier this week, Carthon said the city is rebuilding and the team has a chance to win.

"My heart goes out to what everyone went through here," Carthon said. "The main thing is that this is an opportunity for me and its a great opportunity."

One of the first decisions the new coach will have to make concerns the future of quarterback Aaron Brooks, who started for most of six up-and-down seasons before being benched for the final three games of 2005.

Carthon wasn't ready to say whether Brooks should stay or go.

"I don't like to comment on things that I don't know or haven't studied. I'm not one of these guys who automatically has a wand in his hand and can tell you about a player," Carthon said.

Carthon said his personality is not much like that of Parcells, but he shares similar philosophies with his former coach.

"I believe in toughness, I believe in smart guys. I believe in staying away from penalties," Carthon said. "When you are coached by Parcells and Belichick and Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel and all those guys out there now, as a player and then as a coach, you learn all those things and its the reason that you win football games."

The Saints front office has been taking coaches to dinner and showing them the parts of New Orleans that are beginning to thrive again, as well as those parts heavily damaged by Katrina.

"The thing that surprised me in terms of what happened here months ago - then you go downtown - it's looking like a city that's going to come back," Carthon said. "I was real surprised about how fast everything has picked up downtown and I was kind of encouraged."

Carthon said he also would enjoy the interaction with New Orleans fans, who he remembered from his playing days in the NFC.

"These people are behind this football team," Carthon said. "Other than Mardi Gras, it's the Saints, so I was excited about coming here."

01/11/06 20:17 EST

Why are the Saints so interested in last year's OCs for the Boys? It was weird enough when Parcells started making up position coach titles but regardless, this wasn't a great offense.I really like Carthon, just curious why the interest in those two.Payton, IMO, has done squat without Fassel. He was a creative guy that disagreed with Jim and had some real good ideas. That's the last I remember him doing anything impressive.

Why are the Saints so interested in last year's OCs for the Boys? It was weird enough when Parcells started making up position coach titles but regardless, this wasn't a great offense.

I really like Carthon, just curious why the interest in those two.

Payton, IMO, has done squat without Fassel. He was a creative guy that disagreed with Jim and had some real good ideas. That's the last I remember him doing anything impressive.
The offense also didn't have very good pieces. Teams are looking for disciplinarians and that falls under Parcells and his disciples.

Why are the Saints so interested in last year's OCs for the Boys? It was weird enough when Parcells started making up position coach titles but regardless, this wasn't a great offense.

I really like Carthon, just curious why the interest in those two.

Payton, IMO, has done squat without Fassel. He was a creative guy that disagreed with Jim and had some real good ideas. That's the last I remember him doing anything impressive.
The offense also didn't have very good pieces. Teams are looking for disciplinarians and that falls under Parcells and his disciples.
Which is why they should be courting Gary Kubiak...

I wonder if (since Brooks is goneor so it seems) coaches look at this team as a "lame duck" without a franchise QB. The hurricane stuff can "rally the troops" and also be a negative so I imagine prospective coaches true feelings on that could waiver. Then there's all the moving the team talk.Before ya say a franchise QB isn't a big deal:a guy like Favre, Peyton, even Daunte and Carson the minute ya see them you know the O is going to be good and the team will be worth watching with some excitement almost guaranteed. Plus in that you've got your team leader which often times is the franchise QB and....I really wonder if the Saints are going to have a hard time hiring someone.

I wonder if (since Brooks is goneor so it seems) coaches look at this team as a "lame duck" without a franchise QB. The hurricane stuff can "rally the troops" and also be a negative so I imagine prospective coaches true feelings on that could waiver. Then there's all the moving the team talk.

Before ya say a franchise QB isn't a big deal:a guy like Favre, Peyton, even Daunte and Carson the minute ya see them you know the O is going to be good and the team will be worth watching with some excitement almost guaranteed. Plus in that you've got your team leader which often times is the franchise QB and....I really wonder if the Saints are going to have a hard time hiring someone.
I am not entirely convinced that the Saints are done with AB actually. He may be hated by the fans but do we really think Leinart will be ready to start week 1? If they release AB, they will most certainly have to bring in a vet FA and that might be more difficult given the situation (no hope of starting long term, money, fans, etc) than with other franchises. So with Brooks you have that insurance policy. He's got 2 years left on his contract, IIRC. Sure, it's like $6 million/year but for year 1 of the Leinart dynasty it might make sense to keep him around. Let Brooks be either insurance or the starter who yeilds to the franchise future about midseason. I can also see the new HC thinking they can "fix" Brooks somehow because he has obvious physical skills that look great when he's not ####### things up...

Mo Carthon was an assistant in Detroit, then spent time under Parcells as co-OC, and now has spent time with Romeo Crennel. At what point did ANY of those offenses [under his watch] suggest he's a special coach? :confused:

Mo Carthon was an assistant in Detroit, then spent time under Parcells as co-OC, and now has spent time with Romeo Crennel. At what point did ANY of those offenses [under his watch] suggest he's a special coach? :confused:
I was wondering the same thing myself. I must be missing something - could someone else in the know fill us in as to how/why Carthon is such a hot commodity right now?

last year was his first year calling plays, and the browns were the lowest scoring team in the league. doesnt make much sense. its possible hes just a minority candidate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering the same thing myself. I must be missing something - could someone else in the know fill us in as to how/why Carthon is such a hot commodity right now?
he's a BB and Parcells "disciple"

Users who are viewing this thread