What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CB Aqib Talib back to NE (1 Viewer)

Yup, another moron move by Bill.

He didn't use the franchise tag on Talib for a reason. He knew the market for corners would be soft. Instead of spending $10.8 M on him, he spends $5M.

And could probably pick up Grimes as well.

And maybe sign Freeney or Abraham...or both.

Clearly, this guy is a complete idiot.

KY

@PFF: Talib was only in coverage for 418 snaps last year, but found a way to surrender 775 passing yards. #Elite?
he's not elite, but he's a good CB. NE is going to give up more yardage based on the fact that most teams they play will be trying to keep up w/ that o. This is a good signing for ne. He was one of the bigger and better CBs on the market and it's an extremely low-risk contract for a guy who's known for his volatility off the field. I think it's a no-brainer signing for NE and probably means not too many other teams were willing to give Talib a long-term deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
@PFF: Talib was only in coverage for 418 snaps last year, but found a way to surrender 775 passing yards. #Elite?
He got lit up against the NYG while on TB. The Giants had 510 passing yards. I don't think he was anywhere near that bad in NE. In the 5 games Talib playd, they allowed 244 passing yds/gm. In their other games, they allowed 284 passing yds/gm. THere are probably other contibuting factors, but the secondary seemed to play better when he was on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like there was no interest from other teams
The only team that showed any real interest appears to be WAS, but they were already up against the cap and might have had to cut someone (or get players to restructure).I don't think Talib has ever been described as an elite CB. I believe he happened to be the highest rated (or one of) CBs available in a so so CB market. I saw numbers that suggested he was a very good corner his first couple years in the league but the past two seasons in TB he was below average. Not sure how his performance in NE compared to other CBs across the league.

If he was elite i doubt they'd be signing to a 1/5 deal
It's all about supply vs. demand.There's a ton of corners out there.Talib knows his best chance at big bucks understanding the current market is to sign a one year deal and get paid next year.This is what the market is dictating. KY

he's not elite, but he's a good CB. NE is going to give up more yardage based on the fact that most teams they play will be trying to keep up w/ that o. This is a good signing for ne. He was one of the bigger and better CBs on the market and it's an extremely low-risk contract for a guy who's known for his volatility off the field. I think it's a no-brainer signing for NE and probably means not too many other teams were willing to give Talib a long-term deal.
Agreed. He is a very good CB, but what a lot of people overlook is that no matter how good of a corner you are, if the team can't put any pressure on the QB WR's are going to eventually get open.

If he was elite i doubt they'd be signing to a 1/5 deal
Looks like the Pats offered a 5-year deal, but he didn't like the numbers in a soft market for corners and decided to take the 1-year deal and work himself into a bigger long-term deal next year.

Bring back Talib and Arrington allows for some much needed continuity in their defensive backfield which they haven't had the last few years.

Yup, another moron move by Bill.He didn't use the franchise tag on Talib for a reason. He knew the market for corners would be soft. Instead of spending $10.8 M on him, he spends $5M. And could probably pick up Grimes as well.And maybe sign Freeney or Abraham...or both.Clearly, this guy is a complete idiot.KY
Why do patriots fans have an inferiority complex?

Yup, another moron move by Bill.

He didn't use the franchise tag on Talib for a reason. He knew the market for corners would be soft. Instead of spending $10.8 M on him, he spends $5M.

And could probably pick up Grimes as well.

And maybe sign Freeney or Abraham...or both.

Clearly, this guy is a complete idiot.

KY
Why do patriots fans have a inferiority superiority complex?

'FUBAR said:
Yup, another moron move by Bill.He didn't use the franchise tag on Talib for a reason. He knew the market for corners would be soft. Instead of spending $10.8 M on him, he spends $5M. And could probably pick up Grimes as well.And maybe sign Freeney or Abraham...or both.Clearly, this guy is a complete idiot.KY
Why do patriots fans have an inferiority complex?
not being able to win a superbowl once they had to stop cheating?

'Ministry of Pain said:
Poor Man's DeAngelo Hall
Maybe, maybe not. All that matters here is that their defense was vastly better when he was on the field last year. I was afraid that they were going to outsmart themselves.

'Ministry of Pain said:
Poor Man's DeAngelo Hall
Maybe, maybe not. All that matters here is that their defense was vastly better when he was on the field last year. I was afraid that they were going to outsmart themselves.
Agreed...he's not the second-coming of Deion Sanders but there is little doubt that he was a great fit for the Pats...they have had an awful time addressing the CB position over the years and if they can keep Talib and Dennard out of jail they may finally have an answer to this position...that being said until they address the pass rush and upgrade it there's only so much the secondary can do...

Users who are viewing this thread