What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chargers fire Cottrell, name Rivera new defensive coordinator (1 Viewer)

Mr. PadresLakers

Footballguy
Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- Defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell has been fired by the San Diego Chargers and replaced with inside linebackers coach Ron Rivera.

Cottrell's dismissal comes two days after the Chargers lost to Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints, 37-32 in London. Brees threw for 341 yards and three touchdowns. The Chargers have the worst pass defense in the NFL.

The Chargers have lost three of four after entering the season as a Super Bowl favorite.

Rivera interviewed for the head coaching job that went to Norv Turner in March 2007.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3669441

Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- Defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell has been fired by the San Diego Chargers and replaced with inside linebackers coach Ron Rivera.

Cottrell's dismissal comes two days after the Chargers lost to Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints, 37-32 in London. Brees threw for 341 yards and three touchdowns. The Chargers have the worst pass defense in the NFL.

The Chargers have lost three of four after entering the season as a Super Bowl favorite.

Rivera interviewed for the head coaching job that went to Norv Turner in March 2007.

:goodposting: They need to fire Turner too... hate to say it, I thought he'd turned around last year, but now I think he was riding the Schottenheimer left overs.

They need to fire Turner too... hate to say it, I thought he'd turned around last year, but now I think he was riding the Schottenheimer left overs.
I disagree. Turner got them to the championship game last year, further than Marty ever got them. And the way Denver is playing, they can still make the playoffs this year.

Associated Press

:clap: They need to fire Turner too... hate to say it, I thought he'd turned around last year, but now I think he was riding the Schottenheimer left overs.
Turner's not the problem. The offense and play calling has been very good overall, IMO.With any help from the defense, the Bolts would be 6-2, at worst, right now.

Well, I guess we can truly see what kind of an impact Merriman actually made for this defense. With no pass rush, opposing offenses seem to be teeing off.

Rivera = :loco:

Why he didn't make any adjustments to the defensive gameplan during the Bears/Colts SB is beyond me.

Enjoy Chargers fans, he will be no better.

I'll get happy about it when I see improvement. Unless Cottrell was holding Rivera back I don't see a ton of optimism resulting from making the guy who was coach of the most underperforming element on the team the DC. Sure he lost Merriman, but the linebacker play this year has been really poor.

I hope Rivera can find some magic beans that will make Castillo and Olshansky play like actual NFL DLinemen instead of tackle dummies.

I'll say this though, Ted was horrible. I'd like to give props to some of the Vikings heads that tried to warn us about this last year, but I can't remember all the names.

Last edited by a moderator:
They need to fire Turner too... hate to say it, I thought he'd turned around last year, but now I think he was riding the Schottenheimer left overs.
I disagree. Turner got them to the championship game last year, further than Marty ever got them. And the way Denver is playing, they can still make the playoffs this year.
I thought Turner was playing for the Falcons now? Hard to blame him for all this... :rant:What's the goods on Rivera? When he came over as linebacker? coach, I was hoping he'd be the HC candidate. Been wondering why he hasn't gone somewhere else. How long has he been with SD? Maybe he has a JerryJones/Garrett handshake agreement with AJ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Wherever he goes Norv Turner brings out the mediocrity in those around him. Some call it a gift.
Turner was brought in to cause as little disruption as possible to Cam Cameron's offense. Despite a hobbled Tomlinson/Gates for much of the season and losing Turner to FA the Chargers are tied as the 2nd best offense in the NFL. Turner has the most playoff victories with SD since Bobby Ross. I'd give the guy an extension.

Users who are viewing this thread