What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charging obese neighboring airline passenger for spilling into your seat (1 Viewer)

El Floppo

Footballguy
This story popped up on my news feed, snatched for a Reddit subforum "am I an #######".

A man has split the internet over an admission that he charged an obese plane passenger $150 for a five-hour flight because the passenger was allegedly “taking up quite a bit” of the man’s seat

thoughts?

Huh. 

How could the passenger charge the obese person for that? The airline should, if at all. 

Sounds made up. If not, then the bigger person should not have acquiesced to the demand of the other passenger and told the other passenger to take it up with the airline.  

I work with an orthopedic surgeon who goes on many trips due to various conferences and he always buys two seats the middle and the window.   He is average sized but he just doesn't like people touching him at all.   

Also, work with an ex NFL football player who is just a mountain of a man and he always buys at least two seats.   He physically cannot fit his shoulders into one seat.  

I guess really tall people just suffer. 

Huh. 

How could the passenger charge the obese person for that? The airline should, if at all. 

Sounds made up. If not, then the bigger person should not have acquiesced to the demand of the other passenger and told the other passenger to take it up with the airline.  
It isn't THAT long of a story. Just click the link.

This is not uncommon, at all.  A cable channel had a reality show called "Airline" which followed the customer operations at Southwest Airlines. 

Their gate agents routinely eyeballed portly passengers at the check-in desk and called for a supervisor to give them another look. 

If the passenger was judged to be too wide for their ticketed coach seat, the passenger would be taken off the side and gently informed that he/she is an effing fat ash and would need to purchase an additional seat to avoid squeezing the next passenger.

Of course there were protests, but SWA held firm as there were few adjoining seats available.  Many times, they had to wait to board a later flight.  One incredibly large hapless fellow then passed his time by buying four box lunches to enjoy in the lobby.

I work with an orthopedic surgeon who goes on many trips due to various conferences and he always buys two seats the middle and the window.   He is average sized but he just doesn't like people touching him at all.   

Also, work with an ex NFL football player who is just a mountain of a man and he always buys at least two seats.   He physically cannot fit his shoulders into one seat.  

I guess really tall people just suffer
This. 

Awful thing to do BTW. But typical of the flight prima Donna generation. 

I paid my hard earned money and planned for my comfort. Do not mess with my personal comfort

The right way to handle this is just suck it up and deal with it. You aren’t charging the beaches at Normandy. You’re uncomfortable for a few hours. You don’t humiliate someone over that.  Giant jackhole.

People are pathetic. 

I find this story confusing. The man demanding payment didn’t have a choice did he? The big guy shouldn’t have paid him and should have made the stewardess deal with his neighbor. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're only flying a few times a year, its getting to the point with the size of the seats where you just buy 2 for yourself or 3 if you're flying with someone.  

Southwest handles this the best.  Of course they service more fat asses than anyone.

Try doing economy 787 long haul as a giant dude.  

Besides the airlines just using this to nickel and dime everyone. No problems with this. 

Should really make you buy 2 seats if you don’t fit in one.
Agree 100%

I told this story before..I almost had a panic attack flying home from Florida a few years ago.  I had a window seat and two extremely fat people plopped into the seats next to me. I am 6-1 and weigh 210lbs...the man was probably 5-10 and well over 300, the woman about 5-5 and had to be 275. The man took the middle seat because his wife would not fit so he spilled over halfway into my seat and then she plops down.  I was pinned against the window and felt I had no escape route should there be an emergency. When we were getting ready for takeoff I almost screamed 'Let me out of here!!" It took me about 10 minutes into flight before I calmed down somewhat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree 100%

I told this story before..I almost had a panic attack flying home from Florida a few years ago.  I had a window seat and two extremely fat people plopped into the seats next to me. I am 6-1 and weigh 210lbs...the man was probably 5-10 and well over 300, the woman about 5-5 and had to be 275. The man took the middle seat because his wife would not fit so he spilled over halfway into my seat and then she plops down.  I was pinned against the window and felt I had no escape route should there be an emergency. When we were getting ready for takeoff I almost screamed 'Let me out of here!!" It took me about 10 minutes into flight before I calmed down somewhat.
This would be brutal. Was the armrest down? 

Agree 100%

That sucks. Nightmare scenario for me.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned

I paid my hard earned money and planned for my comfort. Do not mess with my personal comfort

The right way to handle this is just suck it up and deal with it. You aren’t charging the beaches at Normandy. You’re uncomfortable for a few hours. You don’t humiliate someone over that.  Giant jackhole.

People are pathetic. 
there's a joke in here somewhere...I...just....can't....put my finger on it....hmmmmmm

Agree 100%

that's why I never, ever take the window seat. I'm sure the clouds are beautiful and all, but I need to be able to GTFO and not crawl over anyone to do so. 

Besides the airlines just using this to nickel and dime everyone. No problems with this. 

Should really make you buy 2 seats if you don’t fit in one.

I used to take up way more than a coach seat.   I now fill one completely but stay well within my armrests. 

When I used to be a spillover-guy, I often wished that the airlines had a tubby-section.   Even at my biggest, I certainly didn't need 2 full seats.  but in aisles where they have seats three wide, I thought they should have a few rows where there are two seats that are the width of the three coach seats.  I gladly would have spent 1.5x my ticket price for one of those.  

Hell, I probably still would spend 1.5x today just not to be that near someone.    I'm not sure where my price breakpoint is, but it's not the as high as the 5x (or more) that first class costs. 

I guess really tall people just suffer. 
I didn't think you could do this?  I thought if a seat is unfilled they will give it to someone on standby.  A quick peruse around travel forums seems to confirm that the airline will only allow someone multiple seats if they truly don't fit in one.  Otherwise they will give it to someone on standby.

I used to take up way more than a coach seat.   I now fill one completely but stay well within my armrests. 

When I used to be a spillover-guy, I often wished that the airlines had a tubby-section.   Even at my biggest, I certainly didn't need 2 full seats.  but in aisles where they have seats three wide, I thought they should have a few rows where there are two seats that are the width of the three coach seats.  I gladly would have spent 1.5x my ticket price for one of those.  

Hell, I probably still would spend 1.5x today just not to be that near someone.    I'm not sure where my price breakpoint is, but it's not the as high as the 5x (or more) that first class costs. 
There’s probably no practical way for them to do this (enforcing it, the airlines getting as much money as they can, etc) and I’m sure many larger people dred getting on a plane but man it sucks all around.

People are pathetic. 
I didn’t realize the guy riding somehow got the fat dude sitting next to him to pay. Yeah that is ridiculous.

However if there is a way for giant people to not fill up 3 seats where 2 people are supposed to sit this should be fixed. 

I would much rather take my personal discomfort over imposing on a stranger.

I would like to think in scenarios like this people would understand paying extra - just not to some guy sitting next to them but to the airline who would arrange something. 

I didn't think you could do this?  I thought if a seat is unfilled they will give it to someone on standby.  A quick peruse around travel forums seems to confirm that the airline will only allow someone multiple seats if they truly don't fit in one.  Otherwise they will give it to someone on standby.
Yeah, you can't keep them from taking the seat for standby.  They'll take a seat you booked for a child if the child is young enough to travel on your lap  (>2)

I always take an aisle seat for this reason. I can't handle feeling trapped, especially by tubs of goo. I'd go insane.
I’d almost rather have a middle seat than a window, especially next to a bigger person. I always pick an aisle seat and I always pay attention and make sure to get my boarding pass early if you can’t get seats assigned at purchase.

that's why I never, ever take the window seat. I'm sure the clouds are beautiful and all, but I need to be able to GTFO and not crawl over anyone to do so. 
It was a last minute flight.  I usually always take the aisle but none were available.

So you buy two seats, but they give one away?   Do you at least get your money back?

he's talking about open, non-bought seats that the airline could put over-sized people into or next to to avoid this kind of situation. not purchased seats.
I was talking about purchased seats.  From the FAQ I was reading on flyertalk it looked like if you're a regular sized guy and just want an empty seat next to you it sounds like most airlines wouldn't let you do that (they had mentions of requirements that needed to be met like not being able to fit into the seatbelt without an extender.  

However it sounds like airlines have gotten more lax on this in recent years and according to this article you might be able to do it now: https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2018/06/24/who-knew-you-can-buy-an-empty-middle-seat-for-more-space-on-all-the-big-us-airlines/

It sounds like some of the airlines will even refund you the cost of the 2nd seat if the flight ends up not being full, though they do mention that specifically for oversized people or people traveling with large instruments.  Not sure if that would be the case if you were normal sized.

I was talking about purchased seats.  From the FAQ I was reading on flyertalk it looked like if you're a regular sized guy and just want an empty seat next to you it sounds like most airlines wouldn't let you do that (they had mentions of requirements that needed to be met like not being able to fit into the seatbelt without an extender.  

However it sounds like airlines have gotten more lax on this in recent years and according to this article you might be able to do it now: https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2018/06/24/who-knew-you-can-buy-an-empty-middle-seat-for-more-space-on-all-the-big-us-airlines/

It sounds like some of the airlines will even refund you the cost of the 2nd seat if the flight ends up not being full, though they do mention that specifically for oversized people or people traveling with large instruments.  Not sure if that would be the case if you were normal sized.
wtf? not sure what right the airline has to a purchased seat... that makes absolutely no sense to me.

I don't buy this story for a second but pretending it is real, why the #### are we lionizing a story where one person humiliates and shames another?  #### off with that.  Is that really what this world needs?  A headline to a story where one guy humiliates another because of temporary discomfort?  I can only imagine that if this were true how awful the larger guy feels now having had to endure that.  Do we just not have any ability to be compassionate anymore?  

I don't buy this story for a second but pretending it is real, why the #### are we lionizing a story where one person humiliates and shames another?  #### off with that.  Is that really what this world needs?  A headline to a story where one guy humiliates another because of temporary discomfort?  I can only imagine that if this were true how awful the larger guy feels now having had to endure that.  Do we just not have any ability to be compassionate anymore?  
Quite honestly the airlines should be doing this themselves already.  There should be a weight allowance and a surcharge for exceeding as well as requirements to be allowed to fly coach/econ+/business/first.

Is the story worse or better for you if he simply complained to the flight attendant, told her the rules, and the big dude was taken off the plane?

Is the story worse or better for you if he simply complained to the flight attendant, told her the rules, and the big dude was taken off the plane?
I don't know all the rules of airline travel, but I do know what good manners and politeness are and either way you shake it, this isn't it.  You wanna lay blame on the airline for not charging the heavy passenger for two tickets, fine.  But that doesn't mean the other guy had to be a jerk about it and make the other person feel humiliated about it.  

And there is no way in hell I believe the heavier dude shelled out $150 in cash.  Not a chance that happened.  This story is the quintessential Jerk Store episode of Seinfeld; partly based in reality, largely based in revisionist history, just like the Otis story two weeks ago.

I read it originally as the airlines are charging  for 2 seats if you take up 2.

They should do this.

I read it originally as the airlines are charging  for 2 seats if you take up 2.

They should do this.
Sure, have the airlines be the arbiter of weight limits and where people can sit.  It's their airline, their rules.  No need for this person to humiliate another human and then broadcast it for the world to read.  

They should do this.
I believe that it was southwest that does make you get 2 if you 're obese like that,  but they rebate one back after the flight. Been there, done that. Stunk when I was the one crushing others and would always try to get aisle seats so I could lean that way and spill that way.

Seats being smaller everyday and this is becoming a bigger problem that does need to be addressed. 

I don't know all the rules of airline travel, but I do know what good manners and politeness are and either way you shake it, this isn't it.  You wanna lay blame on the airline for not charging the heavy passenger for two tickets, fine.  But that doesn't mean the other guy had to be a jerk about it and make the other person feel humiliated about it.  

I am just trying to figure out what about the scenario(which I agree could very well be fake news) makes you upset. 

I don't take issue with the passenger complaining to the flight attendant. I have zero problems with the passenger saying no way am I willing to put up with this for several hours. That would be miserable. He shouldn't have to put up with that and it is against airline rules and the passenger would be taken off the plane.

I find the deal making side of this to seem more off putting, but I feel like I shouldnt. 

I believe that it was southwest that does make you get 2 if you 're obese like that,  but they rebate one back after the flight. Been there, done that. Stunk when I was the one crushing others and would always try to get aisle seats so I could lean that way and spill that way.

Seats being smaller everyday and this is becoming a bigger problem that does need to be addressed. 
Flying is pretty terrible all around. I don't mind anything about the process, I like airports, going to different cities, don't mind TSA nonsense, just the actual sitting on the plane.

Users who are viewing this thread