What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charity game: List your top 5 movies of the last five years (1 Viewer)

Captain Cranks

Footballguy
I'm not a big movie watcher but I just finished my home theater and want to see what I've been missing the last five years. If I watch a movie on your list and rate it at least a 7 out of 10, I'll donate $250 to a charity of your choosing (a total of $2,500 is up for grabs before year end).

No need to provide a description but if you could include the genre that would help. 

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what my other four are yet, but Parasite would be in my top 5.  Probably my others won't win any Captain Cranks awards anyway.  Very cool of you to do this!  
My wife and I were just discussing this. You get credit if it's a winner. 

We've got "I'm thinking of ending things" teed up for tonight. 

I don't know what my other four are yet, but Parasite would be in my top 5.  Probably my others won't win any Captain Cranks awards anyway.  Very cool of you to do this!  

All right, are these my absolute favorites of the last five years?  I don't know.  Are they movies that everyone loves?  Definitely not.  But they are movies *I* loved.

Parasite

The Death of Stalin

My Octopus Teacher

Promising Young Woman

Get Out

I don't know your tastes so I will try to lean mainstream and not pick anything too quirky because I sometimes love quirky. Also I've tried not to repeat movies taken above. 

Ford vs. Ferrari (race car action)

Uncut Gems (gambling crime drama)

Summer of Soul (musical documentary/concert film) 

Everything Everywhere All At Once (action comedy multiverse fantasy)

Another Round (foreign drama-comedy about what life would be like if we were always just a little buzzed)

All the movies I originally thought of have been named.  Some next-tier ones would be

Midsommar (Arthouse horror)

Saint Maude (same)

The Green Knight (fantasy)

One Night in Bangkok (thriller)

Top Gun - Maverick 

All the movies I originally thought of have been named.  Some next-tier ones would be

Saint Maude (same)

Top Gun - Maverick 

#1 with a bullet if not seen yet.  My favorite movie I've watched in years.  I left it out since it is still in theaters.

Top Gun Maverick comes out in December.

I listed big screen action stuff but The Post, Margin Call, The Big Short,

and All the President's Men are movies I will watch over and over.

The Post also makes the 5 year cutoff.

I haven't watched Meru again on my big screen but for a documentary

it's a strong recommendation.  

Probably my favorite 5 movies of 2017-2021.  

Parasite

Call Me By Your Name

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Lady Bird

The Favourite

Some other favorites already listed: The Sound of Metal, Jojo Rabbit, The Death of Stalin, My Octopus Teacher, Dunkirk, Summer of Soul, Another Round.

Probably my favorite 5 movies of 2017-2021.  

Parasite

Call Me By Your Name

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Lady Bird

The Favourite

Some other favorites already listed: The Sound of Metal, Jojo Rabbit, The Death of Stalin, My Octopus Teacher, Dunkirk, Summer of Soul, Another Round.

Thank you so much for the bold.  I hated leaving it off my list and didn't expect anyone else to name it, but given the subject matter I wasn't sure it would be a hit with the Cranks family.  It's probably my co-favorite along with Parasite from the past five years.  Also happy to see two people mention The Sound of Metal, which I also wanted to mention but ran out of room on my list.  I have another two I hope someone will bring up...

Tell us about your home theater system CC.  I need to step up here.
Let's see.  It's 23 x 16.  Two rows of seating with first row 15 feet from 145" screen. Epson 6050UB projector. I'm currently running a 7.1 system and waiting for the Onkyo RZ70 release to move up to 7.2.4. I figure it'll be fun to get used to the sound as-is before really ramping things up with Atmos.

I don't want to bore anyone with more details but I have learned a lot the last few months and will be happy to answer any questions. 

Thank you so much for the bold.  I hated leaving it off my list and didn't expect anyone else to name it, but given the subject matter I wasn't sure it would be a hit with the Cranks family.  It's probably my co-favorite along with Parasite from the past five years.  Also happy to see two people mention The Sound of Metal, which I also wanted to mention but ran out of room on my list.  I have another two I hope someone will bring up...
Yeah, it's not going to be everyone's fave and it's definitely not a movie to test out a new home theater system, specs-wise, but it's a beautiful film. 

Saint Maude (same)

Top Gun - Maverick 
Looking forward to the Arthouse horror picks. Those types of movies are great for HT if the sound engineer does it right. Mulholland Drive is one of my favorite movies. 

Captain Cranks said:
My wife and I were just discussing this. You get credit if it's a winner. 

We've got "I'm thinking of ending things" teed up for tonight. 
So we just finished "I'm thinking of ending things". Very strange movie, which I kind of like. It's the type of movie that leaves you wondering what you just saw and scurrying to the internet to break it down. It reached to 7/10 threshold for me. 

So we just finished "I'm thinking of ending things". Very strange movie, which I kind of like. It's the type of movie that leaves you wondering what you just saw and scurrying to the internet to break it down. It reached to 7/10 threshold for me. 
I also enjoyed this one but agree that it is very strange and I'm not sure I understood it.  :)

Most of the movies that I immediately thought of have been mentioned. But I’ll nominate CODA (stands for “child of deaf adults”, which should indicate what the movie is about).

Maybe not the “home theatre” loud special effects movie, but just a damn good, feel good movie.

Let's see.  It's 23 x 16.  Two rows of seating with first row 15 feet from 145" screen. Epson 6050UB projector. I'm currently running a 7.1 system and waiting for the Onkyo RZ70 release to move up to 7.2.4. I figure it'll be fun to get used to the sound as-is before really ramping things up with Atmos.

I don't want to bore anyone with more details but I have learned a lot the last few months and will be happy to answer any questions. 
Yeah that is a real nice set-up. You are going to love the atmos once you get it set-up. Game changer for sound. I am jealous of that screen size, wow. 

Really weird movie, felt like if a movie was turned into a jigsaw puzzle and it's only about 2/3 of the way put together. 

Not much to cobble together that hasn't been mentioned.   Of the stuff I didn't see listed:

Phantom Thread (drama) 

Free Solo (documentary)

Palm Springs (romantic comedy??) 

Portrait of a Lady on Fire (foreign drama) 

Last one will depend on your tolerance for gore in your horror:

Raw (foreign horror, fairly gory and messed up)

Vast of Night (indie sci-fi, if you don't think Raw will be up your alley)

Excellent list.  Dig all of them. 

1917’s cinematography is unreal. How it’s #### as all one continuous scene is mind boggling to me. It’s nearly impossible to find more then 1 or 2 scene changes.  
1917 and Mad Max (which I looked up and is older than 5 years which was crazy to me) both saw in the theater and at times was so engrossed I was gripping the seat I think. What going to the movies is all about. 

Haven’t seen Top Gun yet but I believe it will be the same.

1917 and Mad Max (which I looked up and is older than 5 years which was crazy to me) both saw in the theater and at times was so engrossed I was gripping the seat I think. What going to the movies is all about. 

Haven’t seen Top Gun yet but I believe it will be the same.
In 1917 the scene where he wakes up and goes outside and the bombing is happening in the night sky is one of the most breathtaking scenes I’ve ever seen.

I seen top gun twice holy #### is it amazing

Oh wow, that is big time.  

Users who are viewing this thread