What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charity game: List your top 5 movies of the last five years (1 Viewer)

I don't know, we have someone whose list was almost all movies from 2016, so math might not be our strong suit.
I don’t know about everybody else but Covid has seriously messed with my timelines. I say things all the time like “oh that was two years ago” when it was really 2 yes before Covid…. It’s weird. 

I don’t know about everybody else but Covid has seriously messed with my timelines. I say things all the time like “oh that was two years ago” when it was really 2 yes before Covid…. It’s weird. 
Oh, I get that for sure.  But this person (who listed very good movies and is a great poster in the movie thread!) specifically gave the years, with four of five being 2016.

I don't know, we have someone whose list was almost all movies from 2016, so math might not be our strong suit.
Hey, I resemble that remark but noted the release dates of every movie which were all released under 5 years ago, so they qualify.

I was listing movies not already taken.

Hey, I resemble that remark but noted the release dates of every movie which were all released under 5 years ago, so they qualify.

I was listing movies not already taken.
:confused:   It doesn’t matter overall, but I don’t understand how movies released in August and September 2016 “were all released under 5 years ago.”

I liked your choices of Arrival and Lion a lot, though, and hope CC watches them.

:confused:   It doesn’t matter overall, but I don’t understand how movies released in August and September 2016 “were all released under 5 years ago.”

I liked your choices of Arrival and Lion a lot, though, and hope CC watches them.
Today is July 24.

If a baby was born 5 years ago in August or September, how old are they today?

If a movie was released 5 years ago in August or September...

Oh, #### - Bracie went next level on us!   

And fitting in with our usual movie disagreements, his list includes the worst movie listed yet.   :P

Oh, #### - Bracie went next level on us!   

And fitting in with our usual movie disagreements, his list includes the worst movie listed yet.   :P
I was going to list the worst movie I watched in the last 5 years - easily The Lighthouse.  I know some of you liked it but I thought it was ####### horrible.

I was going to list the worst movie I watched in the last 5 years - easily The Lighthouse.  I know some of you liked it but I thought it was ####### horrible.
:lol:    I saw his comment about Mulholland Drive, had a brief thought of "I wonder what he'd think of The Lighthouse", and almost put in on the list.    In the end it's not a movie that would near the top of my lists and one that I was more fascinated by than enjoyed watching.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Captain Cranks said:
I'm not a big movie watcher but I just finished my home theater and want to see what I've been missing the last five years. If I watch a movie on your list and rate it at least a 7 out of 10, I'll donate $250 to a charity of your choosing (a total of $2,500 is up for grabs before year end).

No need to provide a description but if you could include the genre that would help. 

Thanks!

Let's see.  It's 23 x 16.  Two rows of seating with first row 15 feet from 145" screen. Epson 6050UB projector. I'm currently running a 7.1 system and waiting for the Onkyo RZ70 release to move up to 7.2.4. I figure it'll be fun to get used to the sound as-is before really ramping things up with Atmos.

I don't want to bore anyone with more details but I have learned a lot the last few months and will be happy to answer any questions. 

Damn, what would the set up have been if you WERE a big movie watcher?? ;)  

You listed Phantom Thread as one of the best movies in the past five years? 

Just because PTA directs insufferable inscrutable movies doesn't make them deep or good, same can be said of your taste in movies.

For sure. I think part of that is just getting older too. It's all becoming a blur and COVID certainly did not help. COVID is definitely a good point of demarcation though. I can tell you for sure whether something happened before or after COVID. 

Just because PTA directs insufferable inscrutable movies doesn't make them deep or good, same can be said of your taste in movies.
I have very mixed feelings on PTA. I find a lot of his movies to be borderline garbage. However, I have to side with KP on Phantom Thread. It's up there with Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood for this best work. 

:lol:

feels like it just got real in here.  

Actually, i listed it as a leftover movie because most of my top 10 got destroyed by others.  I still think it's a great movie though.  I agree with the last part- despite his talent behind the camera I thought Licorice Pizza was a mess and have little desire to watch again. 

I have very mixed feelings on PTA. I find a lot of his movies to be borderline garbage. However, I have to side with KP on Phantom Thread. It's up there with Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood for this best work. 
I have lots to say on PTA.  I can appreciate and deeply love 'certain aspects' of his films more than I care to explain so I'll attempt a euphemism of hard bop jazz.  Don't confuse bop with the exclusive and rarified school of hard bop that only a handful of jazz musicians perfected.

The hard bop school of jazz is highly technical.  I'm no expert so I won't bother to explain the chord and beat structures but suffice to say hard bop is thee single most technically difficult version of accepted schools of jazz.  

No one stood up and said, 'Hey, I'm creating a new school of jazz right now' but it is generally accepted that Miles Davis created this extremely hard version of jazz because he hated that white jazz musicians got notoriety and money and that the West Coast version of jazz known as Cool Jazz when Dave Brubeck broke out was the rage of the mainstream media.  Miles fumed.

He took the greatest black jazz musicians and created highly technical jazz compositions with chord and beat structures that are extremely difficult to play and are not harmonious because the beat structures do not fall anywhere near the human ear sounds pleasing.  Basically, it is beyond fantastic technical music that few could play at the proficiency of only the top jazz musicians, yet it never would or could be commercially successful because when it is really good it sounds awful.

Hard bop is an extreme example, but just because a piece of music or a film is unique and difficult and is done extremely well and people can appreciate it on a technical or unique level it doesn't mean that people who don't fall all over it and say, 'It is one of the best' to show they have 'the knowledge' or jadedness to dismiss accepted mainstream media.

I love Dave Brubeck and love Green Book but, oh no.  I can't say that because the 'smart crowd' drags it and will look down on me or others who loved it.  Yeah, like I care.  Suck it Trebeck, lol.

I have lots to say on PTA.  I can appreciate and deeply love 'certain aspects' of his films more than I care to explain so I'll attempt a euphemism of hard bop jazz.  Don't confuse bop with the exclusive and rarified school of hard bop that only a handful of jazz musicians perfected.

The hard bop school of jazz is highly technical.  I'm no expert so I won't bother to explain the chord and beat structures but suffice to say hard bop is thee single most technically difficult version of accepted schools of jazz.  

No one stood up and said, 'Hey, I'm creating a new school of jazz right now' but it is generally accepted that Miles Davis created this extremely hard version of jazz because he hated that white jazz musicians got notoriety and money and that the West Coast version of jazz known as Cool Jazz when Dave Brubeck broke out was the rage of the mainstream media.  Miles fumed.

He took the greatest black jazz musicians and created highly technical jazz compositions with chord and beat structures that are extremely difficult to play and are not harmonious because the beat structures do not fall anywhere near the human ear sounds pleasing.  Basically, it is beyond fantastic technical music that few could play at the proficiency of only the top jazz musicians, yet it never would or could be commercially successful because when it is really good it sounds awful.

Hard bop is an extreme example, but just because a piece of music or a film is unique and difficult and is done extremely well and people can appreciate it on a technical or unique level it doesn't mean that people who don't fall all over it and say, 'It is one of the best' to show they have 'the knowledge' or jadedness to dismiss accepted mainstream media.

I love Dave Brubeck and love Green Book but, oh no.  I can't say that because the 'smart crowd' drags it and will look down on me or others who loved it.  Yeah, like I care.  Suck it Trebeck, lol.
Dave Brubeck is fantastic, love the West Coast cool jazz sound. My enjoyment of Phantom Thread isn't any kind of technical wizardry or fancy mise en scene or whatever. It's just a really funny movie and has heart that most PTA movies don't have. But mostly, I just enjoyed the super quirky comedy. We want to talk about total bunk, lets talk about Punch Drunk Love, Inherent Vice and The Master. Boring, stupid, pointless were my thoughts on those movies. 

My main link to movies is direction.   Even if I don't love the movie, if it's well crafted I will still get some level of enjoyment out of it.    I think PTA is a generational talent behind the camera.  Even the movies I don't like much of his like Licorice Pizza or Punch Drunk are very well crafted and look amazing.   He is similar to Kubrick in this way - I think he's one of the best ever but there are a couple movies I don't really like.  

I get why people don't like his movies, especially if someone's attraction to movies is more characters/dialogue.  

I think you are taking the ribbing a bit too seriously, Bracie.  

I just think it's funny and interesting when I disagree with someone about movies so much. 

That said, if I'm being honest I do too because the negative interactions in the thread 80s and I did are a big reason I haven't bothered pushing for a 1980s countdown. 

Inherent Vice

I think you are taking the ribbing a bit too seriously, Bracie.  
Lol, that is funny because I loved 'certain parts' of Inherent Vice more than a POS like The Talented Mr. Ripley.  Odd movie that I got into because of certain things he did as a film maker like his oner.  Add, Joaquin's performance along with Waterson who I think is highly under rated and amazing.  Absolutely loved certain parts of that movie.

I made a comment on the gawdawful movie directed by someone else, Power Of The Dog and 'someone' said the reason why I didn't like that steaming pile was because I was 'woke'. 

Huh, whaa?  Where in the hell did that huff glue out of a paper bag take come from?

They went two pages deep slamming me for 'wokeness' because I didn't like POTD.  Wow, lol. 

Um no, it sucked, lol.  I had to explain in detail why because they just couldn't accept that someone wouldn't like that crap movie.

Today is July 24.

If a baby was born 5 years ago in August or September, how old are they today?

If a movie was released 5 years ago in August or September...
Think of the time elapsed since release with a decimal point.  If the movie was released 5.8 years ago, well hey guess what?  5.8 > 5.0

Anyway, I’m guessing that was @krista4’s point.  I had the exact same reaction as her, but also really didn’t care enough to comment at the time.

Obviously COVID screwed up the last couple years of movies but I think 2019 was a truly great movie year. I could probably lost 15 movies at least from that year that I thought were really good to fantastic. 

Lol, that is funny because I loved 'certain parts' of Inherent Vice more than a POS like The Talented Mr. Ripley.  Odd movie that I got into because of certain things he did as a film maker like his oner.  Add, Joaquin's performance along with Waterson who I think is highly under rated and amazing.  Absolutely loved certain parts of that movie.

I made a comment on the gawdawful movie directed by someone else, Power Of The Dog and 'someone' said the reason why I didn't like that steaming pile was because I was 'woke'. 

Huh, whaa?  Where in the hell did that huff glue out of a paper bag take come from?

They went two pages deep slamming me for 'wokeness' because I didn't like POTD.  Wow, lol. 

Um no, it sucked, lol.  I had to explain in detail why because they just couldn't accept that someone wouldn't like that crap movie.
Yeah I really like Power of the Dog but it’s easy for me to understand why people wouldn’t like it and it’s not a movie I would recommend to most people- or at least not without a warning up front. It’s very slow. 

I would have thought the slam for not liking PotD was someone wasn't woke enough.  

Trying not to repeat other submissions. Can only think of 4 right now,

Get Out - Good suspense - see krist4 above

Coco - Disney tearjerker

Bird Box - Netflix movie worth watching in a really nice home theater

Annihilation - Cool scifi with Natalie Portman

That said, if I'm being honest I do too because the negative interactions in the thread 80s and I did are a big reason I haven't bothered pushing for a 1980s countdown. 
Eh, don't sweat that.  So much easier to pick apart another's list than to create one's own 

I am game.  I was not phased by the comments. That's just part of the job. It's like putting fantasy rankings or mock drafts on social media, you have to just embrace the hate that will come from all the fan bases. 

Think of the time elapsed since release with a decimal point.  If the movie was released 5.8 years ago, well hey guess what?  5.8 > 5.0

Anyway, I’m guessing that was @krista4’s point.  I had the exact same reaction as her, but also really didn’t care enough to comment at the time.
Exactly.  The wording was “in the last five years,” not “five years old.”  Sheesh.  

Trying not to repeat other submissions. Can only think of 4 right now,

Get Out - Good suspense

Coco - Disney tearjerker

Bird Box - Netflix movie worth watching in a really nice home theater

Annihilation - Cool scifi with Natalie Portman
I had Get Out in my list (if you’re trying to pick ones that aren’t already “taken”).

I am game.  I was not phased by the comments. That's just part of the job. It's like putting fantasy rankings or mock drafts on social media, you have to just embrace the hate that will come from all the fan bases. 
I admit, it's more of a me thing.   I put way too much time and seriousness into that one and dozens of rewatches.   I don't THINK the 80s will be as bad because my list would be more set in stone heading into the process if we ever did it.  

That said, no surprise - I haven't gotten around to the 3 movies I was required to watch before we could do the countdown either.   (I also forgot what one of them was now too.  :bag:  )  Brazil, Ran, and ???

I admit, it's more of a me thing.   I put way too much time and seriousness into that one and dozens of rewatches.   I don't THINK the 80s will be as bad because my list would be more set in stone heading into the process if we ever did it.  

That said, no surprise - I haven't gotten around to the 3 movies I was required to watch before we could do the countdown either.   (I also forgot what one of them was now too.  :bag:  )  Brazil, Ran, and ???
Hmmm....Come and See? Wings of Desire? Cinema Paradisio?

Well if your taste in movies wasn’t so bad you wouldn’t get near as much negativity.  😉

I kid I kid (just like I did in the movie thread). 

Excellent as well, another heart stopper
I didn't like this one quite as much, but I wonder if it was the order I watched them.  Still great, but I remember not having quite the same reaction.   I could see it going the other way, watching Free Solo 2nd, and saying "pfft he's just climbing rock, not ice?"  ;)  

Not much to cobble together that hasn't been mentioned.   Of the stuff I didn't see listed:

Phantom Thread (drama) 

Free Solo (documentary)

Palm Springs (romantic comedy??) 

Portrait of a Lady on Fire (foreign drama) 

Last one will depend on your tolerance for gore in your horror:

Raw (foreign horror, fairly gory and messed up)

Vast of Night (indie sci-fi, if you don't think Raw will be up your alley)
@Captain Cranks - I am going to update my list.   I combed through wikipedia releases and I forgot one that should be on my list.    Instead of those last two I will make my 5th:

The Peanut Butter Falcon

You said 5 years, so I will stick to that final list in the spirit of the charity contest, but I was looking at releases from the last 10 years and fun/blockbuster movies that would be awesome on the big screen that I think you would dig if you haven't seen them:

Edge of Tomorrow 

Interstellar 

Rogue One

And PLEASE if you haven't seen it watch The Cabin in the Woods.  

I've seen some bad ones for sure, but I think of the critically acclaimed movies I watched in that time frame the one I liked the least was The Shape of Water.   

Users who are viewing this thread