What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charity Music Draft - Theme 2 (2 Viewers)

brohans i thought i was at 630 pm est i am sorry i am so messed up on this whole thing im good to go whenever you want me to go take that to the bank 
It's a snake draft so if you had a later time yesterday you'll have an early time today.  You're up at 6 PM tomorrow and 12 noon on Thursday.  

Not 100% sure where this will go, but I think when I read the theme, I leaned more on the stuck inside and frustration I felt most of the last couple years vs. the breakup part.    I am not one for lyrics as most know, but when I read the theme, instantly the first 10secs of this song popped in my head.  

ROUND 1:   METALLICA - WELCOME HOME (SANITARIUM) 

Link

Natives getting restless now
Mutiny in the air
Got some death to do

Time for more darkness to kick off the day.   Not my favorite of theirs, but a damn good song and captures the frustration of being cooped up watching the ####ty news unfold on our screens...  

ROUND 2:  TOOL - VICARIOUS

LINK

'Cause I need to watch things die
From a distance
Vicariously I live
While the whole world dies
You all need it too, don't lie

How can you not love a guy with stuff like that sparkin' his head and stuff like this:

My 6yos new favorite song = The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.     She just came out of the bathroom singing it at top volume, so I just had to share.  
in his heart?!

cripers ok so sorry so this next pick is a song that reminds me of a long long long time ago when i was somewhat regularly driving between the big whiskey and the old dominion in the midst of a dying long term and long distance relationship and i would usually set out about 6 ot  7 pm after traffic had quit in va and drive straight home through the night along 64 to lexington then north to cincy then to indy then chicago and then finally make it home to brewtown and it was the loneliest drive ive ever done at one of the loneliest periods in my life i was unsettled and i think if i am being honest i was trying to hang on to the idea of a relationship and an idea of what she and i would have been instead of what we actually were and it killed me for a long time seeing her later and happier with other guys than we had ever been but i found the one my lady and it worked out better than i could have ever imagined life has a funny way of putting you where you need to be all the same this song is the sound of open road just me and the truckers and my thoughts and a relationship dying no matter how many miles i kept driving to try and prevent it take that to the bank brohans 

austin plaine something more

Last edited by a moderator:
cripers ok so sorry so this next pick is a song that reminds me of a long long long time ago when i was somewhat regularly driving between the big whiskey and the old dominion in the midst of a dying long term and long distance relationship and i would usually set out about 6 ot  7 pm after traffic had quit in va and drive straight home through the night along 64 to lexington then north to cincy then to indy then chicago and then finally make it home to brewtown and it was the loneliest drive ive ever done at one of the loneliest periods in my life i was unsettled and i think if i am being honest i was trying to hang on to the idea of a relationship and an idea of what she and i would have been instead of what we actually were and it killed me for a long time seeing her later and happier with other guys than we had ever been but i found the one my lady and it worked out better than i could have ever imagined life has a funny way of putting you where you need to be all the same this song is the sound of open road just me and the truckers and my thoughts and a relationship dying no matter how many miles i kept driving to try and prevent it take that to the bank brohans 

i phyll ya, broheart.  life's too big for capital letters, aint it tho? keep on bankin'...

• Love
Reactions: SWC

Nice song - hadn't heard it before.

brohans i thought i was at 630 pm est i am sorry i am so messed up on this whole thing im good to go whenever you want me to go take that to the bank 
maybe you should take that to the bank and while you are there get some moola for a new clock, brohan.  

;)  

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
OH ran out to work and asked me to post his.

2.08  Nina Nastasia - That's All There Is

My dreams have come and gone
The world is spinning faster each day
And I am not the one
My future promised I'd be
I'm not hiding anything
I'm not trying to fool you at all
You keep expecting everything
We're not like our pictures on the wall
There's nothing wrong with us
We still belong

But that's all there is
So stop all your dreamin
It makes me so sad
Let's keep what we had

Sundays never last
It seems like it's the only time you'll sleep
And you can't help looking back
At everything you promised we would see
You go out almost every night
Pretending you're like everyone you meet
But all I ever want is you
All I ever want for you to see
There's nothing wrong with us
We still belong

But that's all there is
So stop all your dreamin'
It make sme so sad
Let's keep what we had

Hammer meets nail.

Round 2:   Ramp of Death, Stephen Malkmus

Not sure if the lyrics below are 100% accurate, as I think the last line is "Or start a void in me."  Hard to say though as all lyric sources say differently. 

Before we were on our way
Up the ramp of death
I could say that you moved me
In many rich directions, good and bad
A mall on a weekday
The null experience
Piece it together
It showers you with oceans of the past

And there's no time to breathe
Get back
And start avoiding me
Or stop avoiding me

If you're minus please listen
Don't abuse the trust
Take all of your engines
And concentrate on giving good advice
The scars on the raindrops
The presence in the pores
Of a grapefruit rind
Will cause you to regress
And fall into a rhythm you can't hack

Until it's time to leave
Get back
And start avoiding me
In a flash
There is no time to be
Get back
And stop avoiding me
Or start avoiding me

I can just pick any time after missing, right? 

(Which I'm sorry about, but had something come up. This is the first I've checked in the threads today.)

2.16 Scarborough Fair, Simon and Garfunkel

This is a general mood play although when researching its meaning I found, "lyrics for "Scarborough Fair" talk about unrequited love. A young man requests impossible tasks from his lover, saying that if she can perform them, he will take her back. In return, she requests impossible things of him, saying she will perform her tasks when he performs his." 

Sounds fitting for a relationship whose partners have agreed isn't going to work.

Also in my endeavor I found an interview where Art Garfunkel says he didn't know what the words were truly about but that he's concluded it's about loss. 

Cool. 

Round 2.xx 

Artist: Nada Surf 

Song: Killian's Red

Not so much a break-up song as a song about a town and melancholia. Fits a mood, though. Yearning for something once there, maybe...

I haven't listened to much (any?) Nada Surf, because I intensely disliked their one "hit."  This might have been a mistake on my part.  This song is perfect for this theme, and I love the singer's voice.  He sounds very handsome, and I'm not going to look him up, in case I'm wrong.

Great pick.  

2.20 Paranoid Android, Radiohead

When i am King, you will be first against the wall

I may not have much experience with couples ennui, but i have been trapped by loved ones in a frozen tomb lo these many years, so i know how to seethe.

i never liked my parents. they never did me no wrong, never did me much right, arent nice people, i got out as soon as i could and didnt look back. for almost fifty years, i was dutiful - called at least monthly, visited semi-yearly, never let em in on my life, never allowed drama to take the day.

for some reason i still dont understand, about ten years ago i took a job op back east just to be closer to fam. folks were well into their 80s - just seemed right. had a heart attack, lost the job, headed back west.

then me Ma started to fail. almost 90, asking for me. hell, they'd raised me, respected the distance i imposed and were human beings. i can spend her last months with my mother, i knew how much keeping my wife out of hospice as long as possible had meant to her. 

that was more than seven years ago. i made the mistake of promising Ma she'd never see the inside of a home and that revived her to almost full health. i stayed and kept my promise, just for drill. she's been gone a year, but now me Da is too old to take care of himself and, so far, i havent the heart...

i wish eldercare was noble, rewarding work. at a point, it's almost the opposite. the 80s arent good, but the 90s are the 80s drunk & underwater. and, whether you care about em not, parents have ALL your buttons, cuz they installed them. for the first few years, the rage over their cottage pathologies was nigh on unbearable. it reduced me to a child, ruined 50 years of self-reform. the first management technique i discovered was playing Paranoid Android and exhaling all my GreenMileCreepieCrawlies to the drone of it until til i could see "from a great height". eventually, i found out that Ativan interrupts the rage cycle quite nicely and that turned dread into mere drudgery. simple, actually, but i do indeed know how to seethe now. have  a nice day.

@higgins

I may not have much experience with couples ennui, but i have been trapped by loved ones in a frozen tomb lo these many years, so i know how to seethe.

i never liked my parents. they never did me no wrong, never did me much right, arent nice people, i got out as soon as i could and didnt look back. for almost fifty years, i was dutiful - called at least monthly, visited semi-yearly, never let em in on my life, never allowed drama to take the day.

for some reason i still dont understand, about ten years ago i took a job op back east just to be closer to fam. folks were well into their 80s - just seemed right. had a heart attack, lost the job, headed back west.

then me Ma started to fail. almost 90, asking for me. hell, they'd raised me, respected the distance i imposed and were human beings. i can spend her last months with my mother, i knew how much keeping my wife out of hospice as long as possible had meant to her. 

that was more than seven years ago. i made the mistake of promising Ma she'd never see the inside of a home and that revived her to almost full health. i stayed and kept my promise, just for drill. she's been gone a year, but now me Da is too old to take care of himself and, so far, i havent the heart...

i wish eldercare was noble, rewarding work. at a point, it's almost the opposite. the 80s arent good, but the 90s are the 80s drunk & underwater. and, whether you care about em not, parents have ALL your buttons, cuz they installed them. for the first few years, the rage over their cottage pathologies was nigh on unbearable. it reduced me to a child, ruined 50 years of self-reform. the first management technique i discovered was playing Paranoid Android and exhaling all my GreenMileCreepieCrawlies to the drone of it, and the above line of spoiled brat imagined revenge. eventually, i found out that Ativan interrupts the rage cycle quite nicely and that turned dread into mere drudgery. simple, actually, but i do indeed know how to seethe now. have  a nice day.

@higgins
I still can't get over thinking that Radiohead borrowed the theme from Marvin, The Paranoid Android from Hitchhiker's and wrote a very meaningful song about it. In fact, I'll bet if I were to look it up, there'd be mention of Marvin. 

As for your parents, well, remember Dr. Demento's response to Marvin, The Paranoid Android. They made him a woman, but her sentiments, while pure, were a little more nefarious than freely chosen love...

Marvin, I love you 
Remember I am programmed to...

johnnycakes said:
I'm going through my second divorce now, so I know a bit about living together as roommates.  I do question the blastability of some of our selections, fwiw.  Mine are definitely blastable.

2.22  How Many More Times - Led Zeppelin
Yeah...the blasting is odd in this context.  An angry, resentful separation?  Sure.  She'd be getting a heavy dose of Pantera coming her way.  Sad, depressing, amicable separation with you both locked in the house?  Unless you're getting hammered and jamming out together, nobody's blasting anything.  

ETA - this theme has a lot of elements and it's fun to see people getting fixated on different things.  

Yeah...the blasting is odd in this context.  An angry, resentful separation?  Sure.  She'd be getting a heavy dose of Pantera coming her way.  Sad, depressing, amicable separation with you both locked in the house?  Unless you're getting hammered and jamming out together, nobody's blasting anything.  

I kept the "blasting" as I was following the language of the original theme.  You could blast it in your headphones or your head.  Blasting is in the eye of the beholder for this one.

wikkidpissah said:

i wish eldercare was noble, rewarding work. at a point, it's almost the opposite. the 80s arent good, but the 90s are the 80s drunk & underwater. and, whether you care about em not, parents have ALL your buttons, cuz they installed them. for the first few years, the rage over their cottage pathologies was nigh on unbearable. it reduced me to a child, ruined 50 years of self-reform. the first management technique i discovered was playing Paranoid Android and exhaling all my GreenMileCreepieCrawlies to the drone of it until til i could see "from a great height". eventually, i found out that Ativan interrupts the rage cycle quite nicely and that turned dread into mere drudgery. simple, actually, but i do indeed know how to seethe now. have  a nice day.

@higgins
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a post receive exactly one of each of the emoji options to start off. 

Sorry to hear about your plight with your parents. Sounds like you’ve done your duty very well.  I have had a kind of similar experience with elder care myself and can totally get using this fantastic song in the way that you do.  :(

There are two, maybe three songs that I really want. 
Oops, I found another one I like even better while I was scrolling through playlists on the way home from work last night.  Also, no one has picked my other two so I may run out of picks before I run out of songs at this rate.

When I started dating my future wife, she and her friends were big fans of Barenaked Ladies, who I hadn't really gotten into at that point.  Was dragged along to a concert and liked them immediately.  Fun show, some great songs, and they're Canadian so instantly likeable of course.  One song that really stood out to me was:

2.12 - Break Your Heart - Barenaked Ladies

This is a live version probably from the same year that I saw them for the first time.  Steven Page really sings his ### off live and it's worth a listen if you've never heard it.  

The song is basically about a guy just staying in a relationship because he doesn't want to hurt his girlfriend and then the eventual breakup and catharsis.  If this goes onto a Spotify playlist, please use the version from the far superior "Rock Spectacle" live album rather than the Born on a Pirate Ship album version.  TIA

The bravest thing I've ever done
Was to run away and hide
But not this time, not this time
And the weakest thing I've ever done
Was to stay right by your side
Just like this time, and every time

I couldn't tell you I was happy you were gone
So I lied and said that I missed you when we were apart
I couldn't tell you, so I had to lead you on
But I didn't mean to break your heart

And you said, "What'd you think that I was gonna do
Curl up and die just because of you?
I'm not that weak, you know
What'd you think that I was gonna do
Try to make you love me as much as I love you?
How could you be so low?

You arrogant man
What do you think that I am?
My heart will be fine
Just stop wasting my time"

And now I know that you will be ok
And that I've got what I want,
And that's rid of you.
Goodbye.
And it's not 'cos I'll be missing you
That makes me fall apart.
It's just that I didn't mean to break,
No, I didn't mean to break.
No, I didn't mean to break your heart.

krista4 said:
I haven't listened to much (any?) Nada Surf, because I intensely disliked their one "hit."  This might have been a mistake on my part.  This song is perfect for this theme, and I love the singer's voice.  He sounds very handsome, and I'm not going to look him up, in case I'm wrong.

Great pick.  
I had google what hits Nada Surf had.  Yeah, their Popular song was pretty bad.  I would recommend an additional song or two, but they have several draftworthy songs that may be blipping on a nearby radar.  They really have that happy/sad sound locked down tight.  And he does have a purty voice.

Oops, I found another one I like even better while I was scrolling through playlists on the way home from work last night.  Also, no one has picked my other two so I may run out of picks before I run out of songs at this rate.

When I started dating my future wife, she and her friends were big fans of Barenaked Ladies, who I hadn't really gotten into at that point.  Was dragged along to a concert and liked them immediately.  Fun show, some great songs, and they're Canadian so instantly likeable of course.  One song that really stood out to me was:

2.12 - Break Your Heart - Barenaked Ladies

This is a live version probably from the same year that I saw them for the first time.  Steven Page really sings his ### off live and it's worth a listen if you've never heard it.  

The song is basically about a guy just staying in a relationship because he doesn't want to hurt his girlfriend and then the eventual breakup and catharsis.  If this goes onto a Spotify playlist, please use the version from the far superior "Rock Spectacle" live album rather than the Born on a Pirate Ship album version.  TIA

Was eager to see your pick as you had one of my top three in the first round.  Had never heard this song.  Great lyrics, and the guy really blasts it.  Negative points for not being good-looking enough, though.  

I kid!

I had google what hits Nada Surf had.  Yeah, their Popular song was pretty bad.  I would recommend an additional song or two, but they have several draftworthy songs that may be blipping on a nearby radar.  They really have that happy/sad sound locked down tight.  And he does have a purty voice.

I'll be interested to see what you recommend after this draft is done.

Wait, so I can't blast my metal songs?  :sadbanana:

Oh, you're required to blast yours.

2nd Round - Fall Out Boy - "Yule Shoot Your Eye Out"

Alright, I have to take this one.  This is genuinely my favorite Christmas song of all-time, and there's never been a more perfect draft theme in the history of FBG drafts to select this song.

It's the most emo, most petty, most delightfully-bitter Christmas song you will ever hear.

These are your good years
Don't take my advice
You never wanted the nice boys anyway
And I'm of good cheer
Cause I've been checking my list
The gifts you're receiving from me
Will be

One awkward silence
And two hopes you cry yourself to sleep
Staying up, waiting by the phone
And all I want this year
Is for you to dedicate your last breath to me
Before you bury yourself alive

Don't come home for Christmas
You're the last thing I want to see
Underneath the tree
Merry Christmas, I could care less

2nd Round - Fall Out Boy - "Yule Shoot Your Eye Out"

Alright, I have to take this one.  This is genuinely my favorite Christmas song of all-time, and there's never been a more perfect draft theme in the history of FBG drafts to select this song.

It's the most emo, most petty, most delightfully-bitter Christmas song you will ever hear.

These are your good years
Don't take my advice
You never wanted the nice boys anyway
And I'm of good cheer
Cause I've been checking my list
The gifts you're receiving from me
Will be

One awkward silence
And two hopes you cry yourself to sleep
Staying up, waiting by the phone
And all I want this year
Is for you to dedicate your last breath to me
Before you bury yourself alive

Don't come home for Christmas
You're the last thing I want to see
Underneath the tree
Merry Christmas, I could care less

Those lyrics are fantastic.  :lol:   

This is another song that I listened to a bunch during my Lost Years and that very much encapsulated my state of mind. It says so much in so few words, and can be interpreted in so many ways if you're feeling hopeless/depressed/questioning. I'm pairing it with the instrumental that follows it on the album, as I always considered them a single entity and the second conveys the same feelings as the first without words. 

Round 2:

Feeling Yourself Disintegrate / Sleeping on the Roof -- The Flaming Lips

Love
In our life
Is just too valuable
Oh, to feel
For even a second
Without it

But life
Without death
Is just impossible
Oh, to realize
Something is ending
Within us

Feeling yourself disintegrate

This is another song that I listened to a bunch during my Lost Years and that very much encapsulated my state of mind. It says so much in so few words, and can be interpreted in so many ways if you're feeling hopeless/depressed/questioning. I'm pairing it with the instrumental that follows it on the album, as I always considered them a single entity and the second conveys the same feelings as the first without words. 

Round 2:

Feeling Yourself Disintegrate / Sleeping on the Roof -- The Flaming Lips

Love
In our life
Is just too valuable
Oh, to feel
For even a second
Without it

But life
Without death
Is just impossible
Oh, to realize
Something is ending
Within us

Great pick.

Just finished listening and scoring the first two rounds.   1-5 for the song and 1-5 for how well it fits the theme.   Will be interesting to see who I send in when we are done.   A lot of real cool songs and a few WTF's LOL.

Flying down to see @krista4's Kracken vs Ducks Wed night, Chiefs at Chargers Thursday night, Yotes and Ducks Friday night (use to have ST before moving to Boise) during an 8-day stay on 39th In Newport Beach with the gram kids and fam. I'll try to make my pick after we check in and before we leave for the game, but I'll still be in the air when I'm up, so just skip me until then.  6pm PT???? 

Just finished listening and scoring the first two rounds.   1-5 for the song and 1-5 for how well it fits the theme.   Will be interesting to see who I send in when we are done.   A lot of real cool songs and a few WTF's LOL.

Flying down to see @krista4's Kracken vs Ducks Wed night, Chiefs at Chargers Thursday night, Yotes and Ducks Friday night (use to have ST before moving to Boise) during an 8-day stay on 39th In Newport Beach with the gram kids and fam. I'll try to make my pick after we check in and before we leave for the game, but I'll still be in the air when I'm up, so just skip me until then.  6pm PT???? 
Wow, sounds like a great trip!  (Kraken not Kracken, btw.) If you want me to post your pick, please feel free to send to me.

BREAKING NEWS: FFA declares America officially post-racial.

What else does one make of the fact that Rd1 of CMD uses Artists of Color (25 yrs i been asking "what the hell is the difference between people of color and colored people?") 40% of the time to celebrate their unmitigated joy/"just got paid" moments but, in the 1st fitty picks of rd2, only Prince and his damn doves are all up in our prolims. God Bless America!!

But my heart blames it on me.

3.04 Blame It On The Sun, Steve Wonder

My last two are gonna be the songs i sing to myself to get far enough inside my blues not to feel so bad. The next one is a ripper, so ima give y'all a break on wiksplainin' this heartrending paean to blame. 

@Chaos Commish

yeah I’m scoring based on song quality and how much it hits the theme but also if the playlist is cohesive. The songs should work together imo. 

BREAKING NEWS: FFA declares America officially post-racial.

What else does one make of the fact that Rd1 of CMD uses Artists of Color (25 yrs i been asking "what the hell is the difference between people of color and colored people?") 40% of the time to celebrate their unmitigated joy/"just got paid" moments but, in the 1st fitty picks of rd2, only Prince and his damn doves are all up in our prolims. God Bless America!!

I’m going from all Black artists in draft 1 to all white in draft 2.

Users who are viewing this thread