What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charity Music Draft - Theme 2 (1 Viewer)

Captain Cranks

Footballguy
12/12 - Draft Link

12/12 - @krista4 has announced a generous contribution of $200 for second place and $100 for third place.  

Same premise as the first draft except @krista4 has us going in a slightly different direction (at least I think).  Here's the theme:

"It's a dreary Winter evening.  You and your partner have amicably decided to call it quits after a dozen years together, but as you prepared to separate your households, a pandemic struck, causing you to lose your income for the foreseeable future.  Until your job comes back, you and your soon-to-be-ex are living, together but apart, under one roof.  Most of the world is shut down, so you're stuck inside nearly all of the time.  What song are you blasting in the house?" 

For newcomers, we draft for four rounds, one per day Monday through Thursday and then vote on which team is the best.  The winner gets to select the charity that will receive $500.  It's fun.  It's easy.  It's for charity. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Like @krista4 I also sort of lived through this scenario.
The thing is I listened to whatever I would normally listen to - but I have some ideas that will help create this “mood”.

Like @krista4 I also sort of lived through this scenario.
The thing is I listened to whatever I would normally listen to - but I have some ideas that will help create this “mood”.
Yeah...the amicable break-up suggests it's not so heartbreaking, and therefore the focus might be the job loss or just finding ways to grind through being stuck together.  I honestly have no idea how I'm going to attack this.

Yeah...the amicable break-up suggests it's not so heartbreaking, and therefore the focus might be the job loss or just finding ways to grind through being stuck together.  I honestly have no idea how I'm going to attack this.
Mine wasn’t amicable in that it was her choice, but she was right and how I’ve lived happily since only proves it further.

Mine wasn’t amicable in that it was her choice, but she was right and how I’ve lived happily since only proves it further.
Didn't she want you to give up your dog? It seems that would have caused some resentment. I'm raking over old coals to get you pumped up for the theme.

Didn't she want you to give up your dog? It seems that would have caused some resentment. I'm raking over old coals to get you pumped up for the theme.
Yes, once during the relationship after her mom died, but that was a few years before and she actually changed her stance and we added a second dog from Vietnam. Things ended a few years after that.

ETA: We actually split the dogs up (they couldn’t care) and I still have the one that she wanted me to get rid of. Glad he stuck around.

Yes, once during the relationship after her mom died, but that was a few years before and she actually changed her stance and we added a second dog from Vietnam. Things ended a few years after that.
Does she have the second dog? 

Yeah, it could be worse, but in my experience (unfortunately), amicable break-ups are still heartbreaking and awful.

Yeah, it could be worse, but in my experience (unfortunately), amicable break-ups are still heartbreaking and awful.

Same here.  My only marriage ended in an amicable divorce.  It was brutal emotionally...would have been a lot easier had we hated each other.

I'm pretty lucky.  Was just talking to my wife last night about our first kiss.....it was 20 years ago!  We've had our ups and downs, but I truly hit the jackpot.....I haven't always known that, but as time goes on, it becomes clearer every day.  I told her at this point, you'd have to kill me to get rid of me!  Haha

Same here.  My only marriage ended in an amicable divorce.  It was brutal emotionally...would have been a lot easier if we hated each other.

To me, it also enhanced my sense of failure.  Being able to say "oh, that person was a total ####### and there's nothing I could have done" seems like it would have been preferable.

I'm pretty lucky.  Was just talking to my wife last night about our first kiss.....it was 20 years ago!  We've had our ups and downs, but I truly hit the jackpot.....I haven't always known that, but as time goes on, it becomes clearer every day.  I told her at this point, you'd have to kill me to get rid of me!  Haha

Careful if you see her watching a lot of Investigation Discovery channel.

To me, it also enhanced my sense of failure.  Being able to say "oh, that person was a total ####### and there's nothing I could have done" seems like it would have been preferable.

Same here.  We were both young and egotistical at the time, so a major life failure was a new experience neither of us knew how to deal with.

My first wife and I lived together for about a year after we split until we could get the financials worked out. It was amicable, though awkward at times - and mostly boring. If I go strictly autobiographical, I don't know that I could pick 4 songs to describe that time. So I'll probably have to make up a story to fit the theme.

I like a lot of darker music so I've got plenty to choose from......although I don't really know the feeling of this theme.  I do however know what it's like to think I will be losing my wife to cancer, and raising a then 4 yo, and 1 yo.......my wife is a breast CA survivor.....there was about a 2-3 week period where I was fully prepared for my wife to die.  33 years old with a big palpable mass that she thought was clogged milk ducts, which she had had in the past....so it was not addressed as soon as it should've been.....anyway, our lives were turned upside down in a day and until they did surgery, and got clear lymph nodes, I assumed it was spread throughout her body.......I think I'll channel that time.

@Pip's Invitation@johnnycakes@higgins @wikkidpissah @Chaos Commish @Steve Tasker @Raging weasel @landrys hat @Mrs. Rannous @Mister CIA @Lehigh98 @Ilov80s @rockaction @Manster @Oliver Humanzee @Dr. Octopus @SWC @Getzlaf15 @TripItUp @Uruk-Hai @Hov34 @krista4

The draft order and schedule are set.  It's posted here and in the original post.  Pip gets us kicked off at 10 AM ET tomorrow morning.  Good luck!
Looks like I go up to eleven in this draft!

@Pip's Invitation@johnnycakes@higgins @wikkidpissah @Chaos Commish @Steve Tasker @Raging weasel @landrys hat @Mrs. Rannous @Mister CIA @Lehigh98 @Ilov80s @rockaction @Manster @Oliver Humanzee @Dr. Octopus @SWC @Getzlaf15 @TripItUp @Uruk-Hai @Hov34 @krista4

The draft order and schedule are set.  It's posted here and in the original post.  Pip gets us kicked off at 10 AM ET tomorrow morning.  Good luck!
I'm going to have to bow out on this round. Sorry for the late notice. I'll follow along and make stupid comments when possible. Good luck, everyone!

This theme is similar to something I lived. My first marriage ended when, after almost 2 years of little communication beyond resentful expressions, my wife told me she was in love with someone else and wanted a divorce. Less than a week later, 9/11 happened. The plan was for her and the new guy to buy me out of my stake in our house and for me to move out, but under NJ law, the person who moves out is considered to be the one who leaves the marriage, so I wasn't going to leave until everything was in place legally. So I moved into the guest room and continued to share the house with her for about 6 months until everything was finalized. 9/11 happening during this period made everything even more surreal. 

This began the period of my life I now call my Lost Years. As we were growing apart, I started spending more time in NYC with musician friends and people I met through them, and that accelerated once my wife ended our marriage. During this time, I was seeing about 75 shows per year and going to lots of parties. I was also drinking way too much. Despite the fun of the concerts and parties and the new friends, I was an emotional wreck who couldn't see a path to happiness. 

My picks will be songs I strongly identified with during this period. I have three picked out already and am still deciding on a fourth. My pick today is the one I think is most likely to get taken by someone else. 

Beck's Sea Change did not come out until shortly after I moved out, but it perfectly captured what my mindset was during the pre-moveout phase and the entire Lost Years. The songs were inspired by a bad breakup that Beck could not get over, and I identified with every one of them and played the album constantly as I pondered whether I could ever be happy again. This is the song from it that spoke most directly to me at the time. 

Round 1:

Lost Cause -- Beck

Man, I really can't get my head around this one because I haven't been in this situation.  When I think of breakups, "amicable" doesn't really enter my mind.  It's either somebody left you or you're leaving somebody.  And then the whole stuck together in the same house thing... am I blasting music in my headphones or music on the speakers that we can both hear?  Am I playing sad music, angry music, nostalgic music, cheer myself up music?  Not sure where to go with this one, hoping to get some ideas based on other selections before my pick.

Users who are viewing this thread