What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charity Music Draft - Theme 2 (1 Viewer)

The times are all jacked on the spreadsheet.  I think I did my math right and I could have posted my pick at 7:30central, right? 
Times look fine.  Yes, you can post yours.

Also it looks like Dr. O is here, and if he posts his skipped pick, you could also make your morning pick.

ETA:  He made his!  So you can select two now.  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still not sure where I am going with the 4th pick.   This one wasn't in the plans, and we usually don't take brand new songs too much in these drafts, but I have been obsessed with this album for a couple weeks now and thought the album opener would fit right in my mix and would get me one song that might be leaning into the relationship angle a little.   As usual - Brann's drumming = :bow:  

ROUND 3:  MASTODON - PAIN WITH AN ANCHOR

Link

Oh my dear
The damage is done here
I disappear
A love with no anchor
In the depths of the sea

Super busy again today!

Temple of the Dog Call Me A Dog

Aarguably my fave off this incredible album...

"And you tell me I'm low 'cause I've slept on the floor
And out in the woods with the badgers and wolves

You threw me out 'cause I went digging for gold
And I came home with a handful of coal

But when it's my time
To throw the next stone
I'll call you beautiful
If I call at all
And when it's my time
To call your bluff
I'll call you beautiful or leave it alone, yeah"
Huge snipe and my fav by them too. After much debate I had picked this as the 3rd part of my story so now need to hope 1 of my other 2 choices makes it back to me.

R4 Purple Mountains - Darkness and Cold

”The light of my life is going out tonight
As the sun sinks in the west
The light of my life is going out tonight
With someone she just met
She kept it burning longer than I had right to expect
Without a flicker of regret

Darkness and cold, darkness and cold
(Darkness and cold, darkness and cold)
Rolled in through the holes in the stories I told
Conditions I'm wishing weren't taking control

And she don't look too depressed
In a pink champagne Corvette
I sleep three feet above the street
In a Band-Aid pink Chevette
Without a flicker of regret

Rolled in through the holes in the stories I told
Conditions I'm wishing weren't taking control

Patiently encroaching on the animal
The weather of forever retaking control
Darkness and cold, darkness and cold”

for my last pick i am taking a song that frankly i sort of thought would be gone by now and it just doesnt need me explaining it so bam bonnie rait i cant make you love me take that to the bank brohans 

bonnie rait i cant make you love me 
it's not a song, it's a miracle. a culmination and a miracle.

ETA: i can say things like that now that y'all can't laugh @ me...

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
So my last one is kinda of a hard one for me to post about.

It affects so many of us on so many different levels.

What started out as marriage counseling in early 2010, turned into three years of correcting shaming behaviors I didn't know I had (just thought I was doing the right man thing), that I didn't know were passed down to me by an alcoholic parent, yet I had to own 100% as my own and had to fix.

Luckily for me, I was very open to changing for the better, although the process was quite painful at times. 

After going through that, I clearly see that the shaming behaviors we all have in us to some degree, really aren't being addressed as the root problems all of us face, even as we have lightly scratched the surface the last few years in correcting many really bad behaviors, mostly from men. But no one is really addressing why men have these behaviors and how best to correct them. Seems like we're just on another stop on the blame carousel.

So this song is dedicated to all the shaming tactics we all use that wind up breaking up relationships at every level. And all the different types of addictive behaviors that result from them.  And more importantly to all of those that fight through them and do their best to correct them and get past bad relatioships.

I love the female voice when paired with rock and roll and all types of music. I was turned onto this alt artist three years ago by a friend, and I like a lot of her songs. Such a great voice, with tons of passion behind it.

Round 4 - Adelaide by Meg Myers

An' I should pray for Adelaide
But she wouldn't win this fight
Black and blue dear Adelaide
So many scars to hide

Waving my hands
You don't break
You don't understand
Lie to my face
Run away
You're just that kind of man

Every moment I surrender
Such a waste of love
You can't hold me down boy
Tell me what the hell you want
And I don't wanna cry about it
I don't wanna fight about it
I just gotta let go, I just gotta let go
I don't wanna cry about it
I just gotta let you go

But she don't hear a gosh darn word that I say
Oh, I'm so ashamed of Adelaide
How do you justify every moment he takes
Waving my hands
You don't break
You don't understand
Lie to my face
Run away
You're just that kind of man

Every moment I surrender
Such a waste of love
You can't hold me down, boy
I just gotta let you go

And I'm buried in the silence
My eyes are closed
Got me like a spider
Trapped in your

Every moment I surrender
Such a waste of love
You can't hold me down boy
I don't wanna cry about it
I just gotta let you go

But she wouldn't win this fight
Black and blue, dear Adelaide
So many scars to hide

I'm going to up my emoji game and come up with a list of useful ones I want to show up in my frequently used list

🤪 Seems like a good go-to for visits to the PSF, where I only go when I click the wrong link.

🤡 well shoot.  This one seems best reserved for the PSF too.

🙂  Not going to repeat myself, again.  EDIT:  Haha, poop icon has been overridden

👎 Now this seems useful in a music draft. 

🔇 so does this one

What if I stack them?

👀

👃

👄

or ...

👁️  👁️

🐽

👅

[eggplant deleted]

I'm going to up my emoji game and come up with a list of useful ones I want to show up in my frequently used list

🤪 Seems like a good go-to for visits to the PSF, where I only go when I click the wrong link.

🤡 well shoot.  This one seems best reserved for the PSF too.

🙂  Not going to repeat myself, again.

👎 Now this seems useful in a music draft.

🔇 so does this one

What if I stack them?

👀

👃

👄

or ...

👁️  👁️

🐽

👅

[eggplant deleted]
:lmao:

Joe doesn't strike me as having the best sense of humor, so it's somewhat fitting that he'd nix the laughing reaction.

I honestly won't miss it.  As I mentioned in the other thread, it doesn't fit how I normally react to things.

I like this one better.  :D

Peter Steele (RIP) was a fascinating guy.  Much of type O's music fits this theme, as he spent most of his life dealing with a broken heart.

"It's a dreary Winter evening.  You and your partner have amicably decided to call it quits after a dozen years together, but as you prepared to separate your households, a pandemic struck, causing you to lose your income for the foreseeable future.  Until your job comes back, you and your soon-to-be-ex are living, together but apart, under one roof.  Most of the world is shut down, so you're stuck inside nearly all of the time.  What song are you blasting in the house?" 

Like The Weather - 10,000 Maniacs

How To Fight Loneliness - Wilco

So I Am Over You - Pete Droge

The Mountains Win Again - Blues Traveler

Ugh, so many songs left and so many different ways to go here.  I really want to post the rest of my list of consideration when the picks are done but I'm pretty sure I'll end up regretting it when people say how much better those songs are than the ones I picked.

Where to go... duet, sad, angry, fun, funny, nostalgic, singalong, less popular personal pick?     :wall:

Hit a bit of a wall thinking of songs last night.  This will fit in with the tone of the 4 songs, and fit in with idea of me in the basement going a bit bonkers.  

ROUND 4: MEGADETH - SWEATING BULLETS
This fits perfectly with ur straitjacket theme!

Ugh, so many songs left and so many different ways to go here.  I really want to post the rest of my list of consideration when the picks are done but I'm pretty sure I'll end up regretting it when people say how much better those songs are than the ones I picked.

Where to go... duet, sad, angry, fun, funny, nostalgic, singalong, less popular personal pick?     :wall:

I'd be curious to see the leftovers when everyone is done.  Promise not to say they are "better."

Ok, I think I'll go with this one because I liked it a lot from the start and it probably checks off most of those boxes I mentioned all at the same time: a duet, there's some nostalgia, there's some bitterness, sadness, they get in some good digs, some catharsis, a weird 80's-ish video and its just fun to belt out in the car.

4.12 - Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye (feat. Kimbra)

Now and then I think of when we were together
Like when you said you felt so happy you could die
Told myself that you were right for me
But felt so lonely in your company
But that was love and it's an ache I still remember

You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness
Like resignation to the end, always the end
So when we found that we could not make sense
Well, you said that we would still be friends
But I'll admit that I was glad it was over

And it's just a great subtle yet harsh/bitter refrain...

Now you're just somebody that I used to know.

Ok, I think I'll go with this one because I liked it a lot from the start and it probably checks off most of those boxes I mentioned all at the same time: a duet, there's some nostalgia, there's some bitterness, sadness, they get in some good digs, some catharsis, a weird 80's-ish video and its just fun to belt out in the car.

4.12 - Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye (feat. Kimbra)

And it's just a great subtle yet harsh/bitter refrain...
Man...this was the exact song I was looking for but couldn't dig out of my brain.  Before we got married, my wife and I had moments where we thought it best to go our separate ways.  She had this uncanny ability to act cold and emotionless after I'd agree it was for the best.  I'd later find out this was her way of shielding from the pain of me agreeing to quit, which she didn't truly want.  It was a hurtful tug of war.   

Users who are viewing this thread