What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charity Music Draft - Theme 2 (1 Viewer)

Fantastic.  I think this is going to be an even tougher vote for me than last time.

I’ll put up the next theme later this morning.
I actually had a much better grip on the last one, too, though I passed on submitting a vote. This will be really, really tough. How to judge and listen to all these with a fresh ear and be fair and completist about it? 

I guess I’ll pass on explaining the inner workings. 

I'd be curious to see the leftovers when everyone is done.  Promise not to say they are "better."
I think just about all of the picks are in so here are some other songs that I considered at some point:

50 Ways to Leave Your Lover (Paul Simon) - Would have been a fun addition to the theme but don't like the song as much.

Escape / Pina Colada (Rupert Holmes) - Another one that I thought would have been a funny take on the situation

That's Just the Way it is Baby (The Rembrants) - Great fit and I like the song alot but I anticipated some Rembrants "I'll Be There for You" backlash.

Love Will Tear Us Apart Again (Joy Division) - Great fit but vibe was getting too depressing already at points

The Heart of the Matter (Don Henley) - Great fit and I like the song but not as much as the others

Song for the Dumped (Ben Folds Five) - Probably my favorite petty angry dumped song but this situation was "amicable".

Same Old Lang Syne (Dan Fogelberg) - Not a perfect fit but always makes me so nostalgic relationship-wise and good timing for the season.

You Lost That Loving Feeling (The Righteous Brothers) - Really surprised this didn't make an appearance.  If I picked it I would have posted the scene from Top Gun instead of the video, is there even one?

A bunch of others (but not all) in no particular order:

Shut Up and Let Me Go (The Ting Tings)

Just Give Me a Reason (Pink and Nate Ruess)

Try (Pink)

It Must Have Been Love (Roxette)

Total Eclipse of the Heart (Bonnie Tyler)

Love Bites (Def Leppard)

With or Without You (U2)

Man in the Box (Alice in Chains)

We Just Disagree (Dave Mason)

The Chain (Fleetwood Mac)

Dreams (Fleetwood Mac)

That's All (Genesis)

Stop Dragging My Heart Around (Tom Petty & Stevie Nicks)

Mandolin Rain (Bruce Hornsby)

Fortress Around Your Heart (Sting)

Don't Shed a Tear (Paul Carrack)

Looking for a New Love (Jody Watley)

Ok, I have stuff to do and getting tired of typing...

Last edited by a moderator:
My short list of leftovers:

So Much Wine by The Handsome Family.  Nearly made the top-4 cut

Box of Rain, Grateful Dead.  Not even sure what this song is about (I'm one who is not typically intimate with the lyrics), but this sounds draft appropriate.

Bittersweet, Big Head Todd and the Monsters

I Think I'll Just Stay here and Drink, Merle Haggard

Blankest Year, Nada Surf

Blonde on Blonde, Nada Surf ... Not sure the lyrics apply to the topic, but it comes with a lot of lonely introspective goodness.

Box of Rain, Grateful Dead.  Not even sure what this song is about (I'm one who is not typically intimate with the lyrics), but this sounds draft appropriate.
It's about one of the members' father's pancreatic cancer and death, actually. Or so I think and have read before. It was one of my favorite songs by the Dead until I really listened to the lyrics and knew what they meant. Then it became sad and terrifying.  

And I can't believe no one took this in an angry breakup mix:

Song for the Dumped - Ben Folds Five
I sooooooooo wanted to take this and get it on the board.  Stupid amicable separations.

Love this one, too.  I don't think everyone went all that amicably anyway.  I mean, OH's Mountain Goats song's lyrics:

I hope that our few remaining friends
Give up on trying to save us
I hope we come up with a fail-safe plot
To piss off the dumb few that forgave us

I hope the fences we mended
Fall down beneath their own weight
And I hope we hang on past the last exit
I hope it's already too late

And I hope the junkyard a few blocks from here
Someday burns down
And I hope the rising black smoke carries me far away
And I never come back to this town again

In my life, I hope I lie
And tell everyone you were a good wife
And I hope you die
I hope we both die

I hope I cut myself shaving tomorrow
I hope it bleeds all day long
Our friends say it's darkest before the sun rises
We're pretty sure they're all wrong

I hope it stays dark forever
I hope the worst isn't over
And I hope you blink before I do
I hope I never get sober

And I hope when you think of me years down the line
You can't find one good thing to say
And I'd hope that if I found the strength to walk out
You'd stay the hell out of my way

I am drowning
There is no sign of land
You are coming down with me
Hand in unlovable hand

And I hope you die
I hope we both die

A few others on my short list:

Let Down - Radiohead

This may be my favorite song and I'm still not sure what it's about or what it means but the mood would've fit perfectly and I could make an argument that a lot of the lyrics were a fit.

With or Without You - U2

She's Gone - Hall and Oates

Tears Dry on Their Own - Amy Winehouse

Pictures of You - The Cure

Two sets of votes are in on Theme 2, with five different posters getting votes so far.

Here's Theme Three:

Friendly aliens from Planet Squibbles took a wrong turn at Planet Albuquerque and landed their flying saucer on your lawn.  As this is their first visit to Planet Earth, they have questions.  Oh, so many questions.  Their trusted Squib-to-English translator, ♾️⚠️♻️, has ably assisted you in understanding and responding to their queries.  Unfortunately, just as you are finishing your feeble explanation of why some people put pineapple on their pizza,  ♾️⚠️♻️ is accidentally teleported back to Planet Squibbles, leaving the following five questions unanswered:

1.       What is rock music?

2.       What is pop music?

3.       What is hip hop music?

4.       What is country music?

5.       What is R&B music?

You decide to answer four of the questions as best you can by simply playing them one song.  You leave a fifth question unanswered in the hope of luring them back for another visit; after all, they are nice company, and you’ve been stuck in the house with your soon-to-be-ex for months.  Also, they brought donuts.

I apologize to everyone but I'm not going to be able to provide a proper vote for this round.  I am too far behind with the songs and won't have time to  get caught up.  

So that our former first lady's platform does not die in vain, I shall "Be Best" next week.  

Two sets of votes are in on Theme 2, with five different posters getting votes so far.

Here's Theme Three:

Friendly aliens from Planet Squibbles took a wrong turn at Planet Albuquerque and landed their flying saucer on your lawn.  As this is their first visit to Planet Earth, they have questions.  Oh, so many questions.  Their trusted Squib-to-English translator, ♾️⚠️♻️, has ably assisted you in understanding and responding to their queries.  Unfortunately, just as you are finishing your feeble explanation of why some people put pineapple on their pizza,  ♾️⚠️♻️ is accidentally teleported back to Planet Squibbles, leaving the following five questions unanswered:

You decide to answer four of the questions as best you can by simply playing them one song.  You leave a fifth question unanswered in the hope of luring them back for another visit; after all, they are nice company, and you’ve been stuck in the house with your soon-to-be-ex for months.  Also, they brought donuts.
Masterful creativity.  Well done.

My 4 leftovers for this theme, since I didn’t have the time to participate:

You Oughta Know - Alanis Morissette

'Cause the love that you gave that we made
Wasn't able to make it enough for you
To be open wide, no
And every time you speak her name
Does she know how you told me
You'd hold me until you died
'Til you died, but you're still alive

Black - Pearl Jam

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life
I know you'll be a star
In somebody else's sky
But why
Why
Why can't it be
Oh can't it be mine

Rotten Apple - Alice In Chains 

What I see is unreal
I've written my own part
Eat of the apple, so young
I'm crawling back to start

The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove - Dead Can Dance

I thought that I knew it all
I'd seen all the signs before.
I thought that you were the one
In darkness my heart was won.

You build me up then you knock me down.
You play the fool while I play the clown.
We keep time to the beat of an old slave drum.
You raise my hopes then you raise the odds
You tell me that I dream too much
Now I'm serving time in a domestic graveyard.

I don't believe you anymore ... I don't believe you.

Never let it be said I was untrue
I never found a home inside of you.
Never let it be said I was untrue
I gave you all my time.

I apologize to everyone but I'm not going to be able to provide a proper vote for this round.  I am too far behind with the songs and won't have time to  get caught up.  

So that our former first lady's platform does not die in vain, I shall "Be Best" next week.  
I didn't participate in the first theme.

I'm sure this has already been asked in this thread but what are the voting rules? Just my favorite? Top 3?

My 4 leftovers for this theme, since I didn’t have the time to participate:

Black - Pearl Jam

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life
I know you'll be a star
In somebody else's sky
But why
Why
Why can't it be
Oh can't it be mine
Another obvious oversight.  Fun fact:  Dennis Rodman says this song saved his life. 

A grunge draft crossed my mind

PJ-Black, STP-Creep (half the man i used to be), AIC-Man in the Box, Soundgarden-Fell on Black Days

I think that's a strong entry.

Songs I considered

Death Cab For Cutie - El Dorado

Green Day - In The End

The 1975 - Somebody Else

George Thorogood - Move it on Over

Avril Lavigne - Complicated

The top three I would have taken next?

Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved

Similar idea as the Gotye pick but I like it so much more. Someone should have chose it. I probably should have chose it.

The All-American Rejects - Gives You Hell

Maybe I should have picked this one too. Through the ordeal, my amazing boss and best friend kept advising me living well was the best revenge. These lyrics have always made me laugh and go to that advice. 

When you see my face, hope it gives you hell, hope it gives you hell
When you walk my way, hope it gives you hell, hope it gives you hell
Now where's your picket fence, love?
And where's that shiny car?
And did it ever get you far?
You never seemed so tense, love
I've never seen you fall so hard
Do you know where you are?
And truth be told, I miss you
And truth be told, I'm lying
:)
When you see my face, hope it gives you hell, hope it gives you hell
When you walk my way, hope it gives you hell, hope it gives you hell

:pickle:

U2 - Bad

With or Without You is the obvious choice. Bad is the song I thought I would take from the start but it didn't fit our theme. It sure fits my living together separately days though. They were about an utlimatum. Kick the habit or get out. I had a two year old to consider. But these lyrics can devastate me if I let them. I hope it wins the U2 thread.

If you twist and turn away
If you tear yourself in two again...

If I could throw this lifeless lifeline to the wind
Leave this heart of clay
See you walk, walk away
Into the night
And through the rain...

If I could through myself
Set your spirit free, I'd lead your heart away
See you break, break away...

This desperation
Dislocation
Separation, condemnation
Revelation in temptation
Isolation, desolation
Let it go

4th Round - Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Y Control"

Ended up passing on this one during the "best song" draft, though Karen O could've qualified as a South Korea pick.  Someone (rock maybe?) took Yeah Yeah Yeahs anyway at some point.

Another post-punk emo-adjacent song, this one about a questionable relationship with thinly-veiled undertones of domestic abuse.  Even the title, "Y Control", is a reference to the male Y chromosome, with the singer lamenting the control that the romantic partner has over her life.

1. Rilo Kiley - "Pictures of Success"
  2. Fall Out Boy - "Yule Shoot Your Eye Out"
  3. Phantogram - "Mouthful of Diamonds"
  4. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Y Control"
Ended up going with a more indie take on the category, rather than going full emo pop punk.  Even the Fall Out Boy song isn't real pop punk-y, a more acoustic Christmas vibe.  Doubt I get any votes (in any of these multiple drafts), but as always I'm pleased with the mix.

Only five sets of votes, covering 12 different lists, received so far.  It's anyone's game!

I suspect people are having to do a lot more listening this time before voting; I know I am.

Only five sets of votes, covering 12 different lists, received so far.  It's anyone's game!

I suspect people are having to do a lot more listening this time before voting; I know I am.
If the deadline for voting is tonight I’m not going to be able to participate in voting. If it’s tomorrow night I’ll try and listen and send something in.

If the deadline for voting is tonight I’m not going to be able to participate in voting. If it’s tomorrow night I’ll try and listen and send something in.

@Captain Cranks, what do you think about extending the voting?  I know you said you didn't have enough time today, too, and I also have one person who submitted a list but would like more listening time as well.

krista4 said:

Here's Theme Three:

What, no Boogie Woogie music category?!

Users who are viewing this thread