What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charity Music Draft - Theme 3 (1 Viewer)

johnnycakes said:
Don't worry, I won't be sniping anyone.  I'm getting an inferiority complex over these drafts.  I pour my heart out trying to make a great playlist and I feel like I get no votes.  Hence, my taste stinks and it's unlikely I'll pick anything you had on your list..  
I wouldn't dwell on anything like that, jonnycakes. Two things: First off, you just don't know how many votes you got. Secondly, the voting isn't the point anyway. Nor is any external motivation really the point. The point is simply to share what you like and maybe introduce people to something new, or in this case, also reintroduce them in a different context to the familiar. 

Don't do it for the accolades; just have fun with it. People are -- or will eventually be -- grokking what you're doing, man. Go with it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
johnnycakes said:
Don't worry, I won't be sniping anyone.  I'm getting an inferiority complex over these drafts.  I pour my heart out trying to make a great playlist and I feel like I get no votes.  Hence, my taste stinks and it's unlikely I'll pick anything you had on your list..  
you may have got votes. I haven’t placed yet either - there’s no science to this.

2 — ‘Hey Jude’, The Beatles (pop).

While a song that defined the earlier stages of the British Invasion may have been appropriate, I wanted something more modern. Some of their classics were also too melancholy to truly represent popular music.
I also think that a great pop song has to have a great & catchy melody/main riff, which is certainly something that Paul truly excels at & is represented here.

In the end, I went with this one…. 

:ducksforfearofK4tirade: 

After listening to the track, Mr. Alien was confused. 

"That doesn't sound like the other pop songs your fellow humans have been playing for us."  

"Yeah. I know. I'm not sure what they're thinking. A pop song is energetic. It's fun. And it becomes part of the fabric of our culture.  I really, really, really wanna zig a zig ah."

Wannabe, Spice Girls

Of course I have some spare time on my hands this evening and I'm crafting my shadow draft.  

While perusing youtube's vast collection of country music, one thing that struck me is that quite a lot of my favorite country songs transcend the genre and I kind of consider them undraftable.  BTW, the slam-dunk #1 remains undrafted - says me.

@krista4 - was encouraging more write ups, but I will be honest -  most of the time I am a bit intimidated in these drafts because I don't know nearly as much about music as the majority in here do.  Especially with a draft like this where it's "what is X".   Not sure if I could intelligently give reasons for my picks.    For the hip hop I was looking for something to check the boxes of:  good beat, element of a story, a collaboration/back and forth on the mic.     

Rock is much harder because there is a lot more that could be put under the umbrella of rock.   I loved the Who pick earlier, but honestly that was me thinking about it more than I intended.   The first band I thought of is still out there, so I will just go with my instinct.   My type of rock that I would present would check the boxes of:  loud with swagger, a driving beat, and at least 1 kick ### guitar solo.    We have all that in spades here, and it even has rock in the damn title!!  

ROUND 2:  AC/DC - LET THERE BE ROCK 

Link

After listening to the track, Mr. Alien was confused. 

"That doesn't sound like the other pop songs your fellow humans have been playing for us."  

"Yeah. I know. I'm not sure what they're thinking. A pop song is energetic. It's fun. And it becomes part of the fabric of our culture.  I really, really, really wanna zig a zig ah."

Wannabe, Spice Girls

:thumbup:

Was on a very long "short list" for Pop.

johnnycakes said:

You've had votes in each of the first two drafts!!  I'm sure you weren't serious about the inferiority complex, but I wanted you to know that anyway.  :)  

I wouldn't dwell on anything like that, jonnycakes. Two things: First off, you just don't know how many votes you got. Secondly, the voting isn't the point anyway. Nor is any external motivation really the point. The point is simply to share what you like and maybe introduce people to something new, or in this case, also reintroduce them in a different context to the familiar. 

Don't do it for the accolades; just have fun with it. People are will eventually grok what you're doing, man. Go with it. 

you may have got votes. I haven’t placed yet either - there’s no science to this.

Yeah, all of this.  I hope people who are new to music drafts will understand that usually there is no voting.  This is unusual in that we are voting just for the sake of charity.  But johnnycakes, Getzlaf, Hov (to a certain extent having not drafted in a while), etc. I hope will be back for the more "normal" drafts in the future.

johnnycakes said:
I must have crappy taste, too.  I really like your picks.  

You are screwed.

2 — ‘Hey Jude’, The Beatles (pop).

While a song that defined the earlier stages of the British Invasion may have been appropriate, I wanted something more modern. Some of their classics were also too melancholy to truly represent popular music.
I also think that a great pop song has to have a great & catchy melody/main riff, which is certainly something that Paul truly excels at & is represented here.

In the end, I went with this one…. 

:ducksforfearofK4tirade: 

No tirade here.  I'd have gone for an earlier track for pop sensibility, but this'll do.  I was shocked no one had taken them in pop or rock yet anyway.  

For this, what could be more "pop" than putting out a seven-minute song during AM radio times and forcing them to play it?  Phenomenal.

I was surprised this wasn't taken in the second theme. I thought about it. There's just a handful of songs I remember hearing for the first time. This is one. There's this old friend I've lost contact with. He loved his R&B. Big black dude from Oakland. Swore he could've been a pro baseball player. I didn't doubt it. Retired Marine gunny sergeant. High energy guy, always smiling, almost always laughing. His personality had a contagious happiness. Yet, in a crisis or foxhole, there's nobody I'd rather have by my side.

Rick found most hip hop, country and rock distasteful, just dumb or both. He was always an hour early to work. His wife dropped him off on her commute. One rare morning I was also early. Rick played music while making coffee, sweeping, vacuuming, otherwise organizing and dancing. :)  

It was 92. This song was new. I hadn't heard it. Rick had the volume way up and was singing with it. For me it was a jaw dropping song. The three separate vocal soloists nailing their parts. The spoken word bit. The acapella moment. The emotional powerful harmonizing. This is R&B fully exposed. Every element necessary for the squibbles understanding. Best boy band ever. I know. It's played.to.death. 

B2M - End of the Road

The artists I was gonna pick for two categories have been selected, but the songs I was thinking of have not. I'll hold off longer to see if doubling down on artists becomes a thing. In the meantime, here's an artist that hasn't been selected yet. 

Round 2:

R&B

Try a Little Tenderness -- Otis Redding

Further testament to OH's "genres don't matter" argument, this song began life as a pop song in the early '30s, most notably done by Bing Crosby. But Otis' version may be the definitive R&B song for me. The song structure and the way Otis builds his vocal are straight from gospel, and any explanation of R&B has to cover its gospel roots. The difference, of course, is that the focus of gospel songs is God, and the focus of most R&B songs is love. And the climax of the song combines the aspirational and the gutteral in sublime ways, which is what the best R&B songs accomplish. 

The song structure and the way Otis builds his vocal are straight from gospel, and any explanation of R&B has to cover its gospel roots. The difference, of course, is that the focus of gospel songs is God, and the focus of most R&B songs is love. And the climax of the song combines the aspirational and the gutteral in sublime ways, which is what the best R&B songs accomplish. 
Yeah man, both our R&Bs go straight to this element of the genre. Great pick.

The artists I was gonna pick for two categories have been selected, but the songs I was thinking of have not. I'll hold off longer to see if doubling down on artists becomes a thing. In the meantime, here's an artist that hasn't been selected yet. 

Round 2:

R&B

Try a Little Tenderness -- Otis Redding

Further testament to OH's "genres don't matter" argument, this song began life as a pop song in the early '30s, most notably done by Bing Crosby. But Otis' version may be the definitive R&B song for me. The song structure and the way Otis builds his vocal are straight from gospel, and any explanation of R&B has to cover its gospel roots. The difference, of course, is that the focus of gospel songs is God, and the focus of most R&B songs is love. And the climax of the song combines the aspirational and the gutteral in sublime ways, which is what the best R&B songs accomplish. 
Just watching Bull Durham last night and talking to relatives about this song. 

Young girls get wooly...

"They don't get wooly, Meat. They get weary. Weary!" 

brohans i am so sorry i was caught up and out of the area for a basketball game last night and missed my spot in the rotation so here is my second pick which should have been last night at 6 est this is what i consider to be the finest pop song of its era and possibly all time it is not by a fluff artist it is not a one hit wonder for either of the main contributors and it still holds up and can be heard played today the two contributors were themselves titans of pop culture and listed as significant influences by countless other musicians who followed them and the song itself was sampled and led to another mega hit by a dude with too much hairspray years after it was released so i think you have to search far and wide to find another pop song that even plays on the same field and i give you david bowie and queen and freddy mercury performing

under pressure

take that to the bank brohans  

ps the world was a better place when both bowie and mercury were in it and thats a fact jack

3 — ‘Crazy’ as written by Willie Nelson & performed by Patsy Cline (country/western).

If I were an alien, I’d be intrigued that Crazy was a true piece of Americana, evidenced by the fact that it’s (depending on the list) the #1 or #2 jukebox song of all-time. 

Round 3:

Rock

My Generation -- The Who

Rock and roll is a young person's game. It began as simplified, sped-up R&B and became "that loud music that pisses your parents off." In the intervening years it has come to incorporate many things, but at its essence it is loud, fast and obnoxious. Songs that glorify or anguish over the concerns of youth are particularly fitting for its essential theme. All of this is exemplified by My Generation, which in addition to being loud, fast and obnoxious (stuttered vocals, destroyed guitars and drums in live performances), draws a firm line between the rock-obsessed youth and their parents, to the point of hoping for death instead of becoming like them. 

for my third pick i am going country and this is a hard one because i love country and good country really does span decades and decades so it is hard to just pick one song that defines a genre but in this instance i think that the song you have to go with is from an artist that is already represented on this list which i suppose validates this pick a bit and with all due respect to the pick already made i think that the best song by this artist is not the one where he walks the line although that is a great song but rather the one where he shoots a man in reno just to watch him die so here you have it my country pick 

johnny cash folsom prison blues

Hey guys!  I have a good update.  All is much better as of a couple of hours ago.  I've had zero sleep all night, which is only a few hours less than I'm used to.  OH has had zero sleep all night (and is now at work), which is about 10 hours less than he's used to.  I can't tell you how much your thoughts and words mean to me.  It actually makes me well up.  What an amazing group of people here in this little musical corner of the site.  Thank you so much.

We're both still going to be too stressed and sleepy to jump back in, but I hope to follow along here and there.  I was so damn excited for this draft.  Thanks to Yo Mama for offering the tabulation duties, and again to all of you for your kindness.

[Insert joke about how you were all laughing at me by clicking the "cry" reaction.]

for my third pick i am going country and this is a hard one because i love country and good country really does span decades and decades so it is hard to just pick one song that defines a genre but in this instance i think that the song you have to go with is from an artist that is already represented on this list which i suppose validates this pick a bit and with all due respect to the pick already made i think that the best song by this artist is not the one where he walks the line although that is a great song but rather the one where he shoots a man in reno just to watch him die so here you have it my country pick 

johnny cash folsom prison blues

That was my second choice behind I walk the line.  

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
cash has about five or six songs that you could put on this list he makes it damn tough take that to the bank brohan 

Hey guys!  I have a good update.  All is much better as of a couple of hours ago.  I've had zero sleep all night, which is only a few hours less than I'm used to.  OH has had zero sleep all night (and is now at work), which is about 10 hours less than he's used to.  I can't tell you how much your thoughts and words mean to me.  It actually makes me well up.  What an amazing group of people here in this little musical corner of the site.  Thank you so much.

We're both still going to be too stressed and sleepy to jump back in, but I hope to follow along here and there.  I was so damn excited for this draft.  Thanks to Yo Mama for offering the tabulation duties, and again to all of you for your kindness.

[Insert joke about how you were all laughing at me by clicking the "cry" reaction.]
Great news.  Glad everything is ok.

Users who are viewing this thread