What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charity Music Draft - Theme 3 (1 Viewer)

brohans i am so sorry i was caught up and out of the area for a basketball game last night and missed my spot in the rotation so here is my second pick which should have been last night at 6 est this is what i consider to be the finest pop song of its era and possibly all time it is not by a fluff artist it is not a one hit wonder for either of the main contributors and it still holds up and can be heard played today the two contributors were themselves titans of pop culture and listed as significant influences by countless other musicians who followed them and the song itself was sampled and led to another mega hit by a dude with too much hairspray years after it was released so i think you have to search far and wide to find another pop song that even plays on the same field and i give you david bowie and queen and freddy mercury performing

under pressure

take that to the bank brohans  

ps the world was a better place when both bowie and mercury were in it and thats a fact jack
Hmmmm....  pop category....  No love from the SWCer?  Looking Glass.  

Genre: R&B

Song: Dance Tonight 

Artist: Lucy Pearl 

Cut in the year 2000, "Dance Tonight" is the wonder child of Raphael Saadiq, Dawn Robinson of En Vogue, and Ali Shaheed Muhammad of Tribe Called Quest. It is in R & B's tradition, and is loosely considered a New Jack Swing song. It is the first song I think of when I think of good R & B songs. Sexy, smooth, upbeat, and with great vocals. Listen to the drum beat, the strings well, the swing, and the vocals throughout, especially Dawn's verse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am probably not the person to be picking out representatives for this genre, but I felt that despite not liking it, I had a better picture in my mind as to what it was.    Checking boxes of:  twang and storytelling (especially from a rural perspective).  I also decided to make my picks 1/2 female and 1/2 male so that narrowed down the field for my 3rd and 4th picks.  Gotta rep both sexes to the visiting aliens.    It was between this and another that reminded me of my parents, and Mrs. R broke the Dolly seal earlier. 

ROUND 3:  LORETTA LYNN - COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER 

Link

I'm totally kidding. What's Going On, the album, is probably top five all-time ever for me and I can't figure out how I never thought of any songs off it for rhythm and blues. 

I just think of it as transcendent, maybe? Just never occurred to me, is all. 

It sort of tops Lucy Pearl is the joke I was making. Not that Lucy isn't effectively pulling balls away from Charlies everywhere, it's just...what's going on, man? 

I'm totally kidding. What's Going On, the album, is probably top five all-time ever for me and I can't figure out how I never thought of any songs off it for rhythm and blues. 

I just think of it as transcendent, maybe? Just never occurred to me, is all. 

It sort of tops Lucy Pearl is the joke I was making. Not that Lucy isn't effectively pulling balls away from Charlies everywhere, it's just...what's going on, man? 
Yeah, I think R&B is as wide ranging a genre as Rock with lots of sub-genres and lots of crossover into others. 

3.ee - James Brown - Soulful Christmas

Brown was a huge influence on the sound of R&B through his music and the recycling of his beats and samples by generations of artists. This is a signature workout with his peerless late-60s band cooking and Maceo blowing the sax.

Brown knew how to crank out seasonal product with three Christmas albums including two in three years. The lyrics hardly matter--he might as well be singing about "changes" or "chitlins" as "christmas" but the groove is relentless.  He throws out references to christmas trees and bells and is thankful to his fans twice over. It takes a few verses but eventually Brown gets down with the true meaning of Rhythm & Blues.

I got a heart full of love for the whole wide world
And a little special love, a little soulful girl
I got this feelin' every, every night and then
Gotta get ready, bring the New Year in

Figured you would like it 
I think I was writing in scorchy's 1988 thread that that was the year I discovered Iggy And The Stooges with Raw Power and another hip hop legend that must be [redacted]. Bought the two cassettes at Strawberries in Enfield, CT on the same night. 

My head nearly exploded with gratitude when I heard both albums. 

This tune was the #1 R&B song in the summer of '72. The lead singer, Eugene Record, also plays bass and guitar on the tune, and he wrote and produced it as well.  The Squibbles are probably thinking the backup singers need a new choreographer. 

Round 3

What is R&B?

Oh Girl - The Chi-Lites
Oh, those outfits.  That's why they call it ball room, guys.

You'll note I tightened the space between "R&B" from my original "R & B" because I think they were made to be together, not atomized and separate. Don't you think? 

:)

50 Cent - In Da Club

There are a lot of "pioneers" of hip hop still on the board but I wanted a song that transcended all eras of hip hop and I think this is the song.  1.3 Billion views on YouTube and still going strong.   Popularity does not mean it is representative of the genre, one could argue quite the opposite but I do believe it's among the best hip hop songs of all time and more hip hop genre transcendent than some of the other songs you may find in "all time" lists/rankings etc.  Release this in any of the last 4 decades and it's a smash.

Will look forward to revealing some of the other songs I was considering, some of which will undoubtedly be selected.

@Hov34 OTC

It still fills the dance floor

50 Cent - In Da Club

There are a lot of "pioneers" of hip hop still on the board but I wanted a song that transcended all eras of hip hop and I think this is the song.  1.3 Billion views on YouTube and still going strong.   Popularity does not mean it is representative of the genre, one could argue quite the opposite but I do believe it's among the best hip hop songs of all time and more hip hop genre transcendent than some of the other songs you may find in "all time" lists/rankings etc.  Release this in any of the last 4 decades and it's a smash.

Will look forward to revealing some of the other songs I was considering, some of which will undoubtedly be selected.

@Hov34 OTC
Cranks already took it. It fills the draft board like it fills the dance floor.

Alabama - Dixieland Delight

I know more about country music than most (look at me) so this was a fun exercise.   The debate for me came down to do I pick a great country song from what I consider to be the best era/genre of country music (70s outlaw) or do I pick a song that better represents what the average music listener thinks of as country music?  I went with this Alabama tune for several reasons.  Most importantly, I think this song best represents all of country music.   Certainly Alabama's music was considered more crossover than much of the country music that preceded it when Alabama first hit the scene.  They were critically acclaimed for creating a new brand of country music that still incorporated classic country instrumental elements such as the fiddle.   This song, like a lot of country music, celebrates a culture or way of life and its music video goes out of its way to convey that. As an interesting aside, if you are a football fan you may know that this song gets played at Alabama Crimson Tide games to this very day even though the song is more about Tennessee.  40 years after its release the song has somewhat become one of the anthems of the South where most would agree country music was born.

To me this is one of the 10 best country songs of all time that isn't considered outlaw country (Haggard/Cash/Waylon/Willie) but is still distinctly country.   

Alabama Football Dixieland Delight

My cat, Cole, was a bad boy last night. I was painting with a palette knife, and I wasn't paying attention to what my two cats were doing. All of a sudden Cole jumps on the table with paint on it, and his front paws land right in globs of paint. He froze, and I quickly grabbed him, and took him into the bathroom. I filled the sink with warm water, while holding on to a  struggling cat trying to get away, and then I stuck his front paws in the water. Meanwhile my other cat, Archie, came in the bathroom all worried about what I was doing to Cole.  Paint was all over the bathroom counter and my shirt, and Cole's hair shed all over the counter from being frightened during the chaos. Archie ran and hid. I guess he thought he was next to get his paws dumped in water. What a mess. 🙀

But seriously... another "formative years" moment for pick #3.  In early 1993, I was just about to turn 17 and get my driver's license.  Sitting around killing time with a group of friends at a buddy's house (waiting out the last few weeks / months until we could drive ourselves to better things to do) and taking turns playing CD's in the background.  Then this CD goes in and this track comes on, and record scratch moment even though its a CD.  Suddenly a bunch of super white, seriously, like almost transparent, teens are bumping along to Dre and Snoop...

One, two, three and to the fo'
Snoop Doggy Dogg and Dr. Dre is at the do'
Ready to make an entrance, so back on up
(Cause you know we're bout to rip #### up)

3.6 - Nuthin' But A G Thang - Dr. Dre ft. Snoop Dogg (Hip Hop)

So I had to choose between Pop and Hip Hop and I decided to go Pop because I think it's a more challenging exercise given the broad spectrum of what can be considered pop and the obvious influences from other genres.   So much of what people consider to be "pop" has heavy Rock or R&B influences so I decided to try to find a song that isn't overtly Rock or R&B.   

Lady Gaga - Bad Romance

She is on a very short list of best pop artist of all time for me.  Yes, she has R&B influences and so does this song but she is decidedly more Pop than R&B in my opinion.   Without spotlighting I think her influences are obvious and she represents the best of what is pop.  There are a lot of great pop artists that are maybe less sophisticated than Gaga, but I don't want to listen to them as much so this is where I landed.

@Chaos Commish is OTC

Merry Christmas to my fellow music drafters.  May you construct the most kick ### Xmas playlist ever.

Waylon Jennings once said,  "If we could all sound like we wanted, we'd all sound like George Jones." George Jones aka Possum, is known in the country world as having the voice of country. The Squibbles can hear George and his countrified voice sing this song about a man whose woman leaves him, and he tells her that he'll love her until he dies, and he did just that. 

Round 4

What is Country?

He Stopped Loving Her Today - George Jones

So I had to choose between Pop and Hip Hop and I decided to go Pop because I think it's a more challenging exercise given the broad spectrum of what can be considered pop and the obvious influences from other genres.   So much of what people consider to be "pop" has heavy Rock or R&B influences so I decided to try to find a song that isn't overtly Rock or R&B.   

Lady Gaga - Bad Romance

She is on a very short list of best pop artist of all time for me.  Yes, she has R&B influences and so does this song but she is decidedly more Pop than R&B in my opinion.   Without spotlighting I think her influences are obvious and she represents the best of what is pop.  There are a lot of great pop artists that are maybe less sophisticated than Gaga, but I don't want to listen to them as much so this is where I landed.

@Chaos Commish is OTC

Merry Christmas to my fellow music drafters.  May you construct the most kick ### Xmas playlist ever.
Great pick and I feel like I have to mention this cover that I really like by... Jared Leto!?

30 seconds to mars covers bad romance live (Lady Gaga)

Gonna go Pop over R&B here.     My impulses here are a bit more on the cheesy side, but I am well aware of the broad scope there is for pop too (thanks to these drafts for a lot of the education and opening my horizons).   Getting scooped on Madonna was OK, because as I thought about it if I am presenting songs, I wanted equal mix of female/male, and I wanted a wide range of eras.  For that to be the case I needed something newer.   For me I needed the quick boxes checked of:  popular/mainstream, a bit cheesy, fun beat.   You know where I am going, and I might as well make it her biggest hit (pretty sure this is the case)

ROUND 4:  TAYLOR SWIFT - SHAKE IT OFF

Link

I choose not to rock.

I think we've given the squibbles a somewhat dated version of country. We started out with a dated male version. Soon rectified that with dated female country. I'm no help bringing our alien inquisitors up to date, because a good definition of country has to include Willie. There's so many better known songs to go to, but this heartache from 1963 with its country and western strings and vocal phrasing wreaks Willie and the bittersweetness in right proper country ballads. Right up there with So Lonesome for me. 

3.xx Willie Nelson - Half a Man

No surprise hip hop is the least popular genre in this thing, and while not a criticism of any chosen songs, the scarcity could leave the squibbles misinformed a little. Hip hop's Mount Rushmore is missing some heads. This one is Kanye's featuring Jay Z with Nicki Minaj crushing the finale. The extra cool bonus is the song is sometimes listed as Kanye West and Bon Iver featuring Jay, Nicki and Rick Ross. Bon Iver in da posse! Horrorcore from a beautiful dark twisted fantasy.

4.xx Kanye West - Monster

Users who are viewing this thread