What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charity Music Draft - Theme 3 (1 Viewer)

Gonna go Pop over R&B here.     My impulses here are a bit more on the cheesy side, but I am well aware of the broad scope there is for pop too (thanks to these drafts for a lot of the education and opening my horizons).   Getting scooped on Madonna was OK, because as I thought about it if I am presenting songs, I wanted equal mix of female/male, and I wanted a wide range of eras.  For that to be the case I needed something newer.   For me I needed the quick boxes checked of:  popular/mainstream, a bit cheesy, fun beat.   You know where I am going, and I might as well make it her biggest hit (pretty sure this is the case)

ROUND 4:  TAYLOR SWIFT - SHAKE IT OFF

Link
This was my second choice behind the Spice Girls.

Finishing out my musical library with a rock anthem for the ages. 

What is rock?

Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin

Iconic, masterful, multi-layered, powerful. It has everything a rock anthem needs - a slow buildup leading to a hard charging second half, mystical lyrics, a kickass guitar solo, stellar vocals. It’s been played from packed stadiums to youth group campfires (at least until they found out about the backward masking telling everyone to worship satan). Legendary Rock. 

'cakes is on the clock.  I'm going to let the hip-hop category go unanswered.  Mostly because I just don't get it.  So I'll pick a tune by the Two-Fisted Mama, Katie Webster, that they used to play late at night on WGBH Radio 89.7 Boston.  More of a story than a song, but it's a fun listen, so it gets my pick in the R&B category.

4.12 - Red Negligee - Katie Webster

rock rolling stones gimme shelter

pop david bowie and queen under pressure

country johnny cash folsom county blues

randb  four tops reach out

my final pick is from when r and b was really r and b thats right brochachos there was r and b before 1990 and it was real and it was fabulous this song charted in 1966 and between the temptations and the four tops just to name a few it was a great time for music one of the best times in fact so here is my list what i tried to do was find songs that are really representative of a genre and that stand the test of time and are still played today and would really give the space dudes a fair idea of what songs have defined a musical category and i think its a hell of a listen top to bottom take that to the bank brohans 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still not sure what should qualify for pop music and I don't know anything about country.  When I think of pop music, the first thing that comes to mind are boy bands.  So I thought about that for a while and decided if I was going to go with a boy band, I should at least go with the first and best for good old ♾️⚠️♻️ and the Squibbles...

4.6 - I Want to Hold Your Hand - The Beatles (Pop)
This is one I was considering for that category.

I'm still not sure what should qualify for pop music and I don't know anything about country.  When I think of pop music, the first thing that comes to mind are boy bands.  So I thought about that for a while and decided if I was going to go with a boy band, I should at least go with the first and best for good old ♾️⚠️♻️ and the Squibbles...

4.6 - I Want to Hold Your Hand - The Beatles (Pop)

Hi all!  Another good day on this end.  I'm just catching up on a couple of days of picks and WOW!  The write-ups are fantastic.  I'm going to re-read all of those along with my listening to make my choices.  A band like Alabama, for instance, is one I've not really listened to, but the write-up made a convincing case for them and for the song.

As to the above, if I were selecting a Beatles song for "pop," this would be one of my top two.

@Yo Mama, I'm happy to take back the duties of tabulating the winners, if you'd like.  I assume voting will go until Sunday night, and I'll have nothing to do on Sunday AFAIK.  If you were just dying to do it, no problem, but it's not as fun as it seems.  :lol:  

'cakes is on the clock.  I'm going to let the hip-hop category go unanswered.  Mostly because I just don't get it.  So I'll pick a tune by the Two-Fisted Mama, Katie Webster, that they used to play late at night on WGBH Radio 89.7 Boston.  More of a story than a song, but it's a fun listen, so it gets my pick in the R&B category.

4.12 - Red Negligee - Katie Webster
this song was not in my knowledge base but it is now brohan so thank you good stuff take that to the bank

@Yo Mama, I'm happy to take back the duties of tabulating the winners, if you'd like.  I assume voting will go until Sunday night, and I'll have nothing to do on Sunday AFAIK.  If you were just dying to do it, no problem, but it's not as fun as it seems.  :lol:  
Sure you can do it if you have time.  

Well, Mr. Alien, rock music has energy, a driving rhythm, and features the electric guitar.

Try this on for size:  Rockin' in the Free World, Neil Young
After listening to the track, Mr. Alien was confused. 

"That doesn't sound like the other pop songs your fellow humans have been playing for us."  

"Yeah. I know. I'm not sure what they're thinking. A pop song is energetic. It's fun. And it becomes part of the fabric of our culture.  I really, really, really wanna zig a zig ah."

Wannabe, Spice Girls
Captain Cranks said:
Cranks signaled to the bartender for another drink with big grin on his face.

"Hip hop, eh?  One of my favorites.  Bass, rhythm, and rhymes.  It's probably the most fun to sing along and dance to. Think stylized poetry with a ton of sex, money, and self aggrandizement."

3.03 In da Club, 50 Cent
"Country?  Hmmm."  Cranks grimaced as it wasn't his favorite genre.  "Well, you're gonna hear an twangy guitar, a violin, and lyrics about relationships and the simpler things in a rural white person's life."

4- All my exes live in Texas, George Strait

Where ultra pop met R&B met funk met hip hop's leading dj luminary.

Round 4 

Genre - Pop

Artist - Justin Timberlake ft. Timbaland

Song - SexyBack 

Pop is dead. The monoculture has passed. This has been so since the dissolution and irrelevance of TRL, monoculture and pop's last gasp (I will explain this to the Squibbles when they ask about this century's pop music). With everything in tatters, this song blew off from in from nowhere in 2006 to become a #1 hit on Billboard's Hot 100 for seven weeks straight. With pop essentially dying and fragmenting into millions of choices on either one's personal device or computer, Timbaland's production -- a bit of James Brown mixed with blue-eyed soul, heavy on the funk -- dominated whatever was left of pop's apocalypse and was a wonder of a produced and sung item, blowing up on radio stations everywhere. 

From Timberlake on Wiki: He described "SexyBack" as "an experiment gone right from the sort of synthesizer influence to the distorted vocals", adding that it was "one of the songs that the more you listen to it its just hook after hook after hook. It's just one of those 'flow off the top of your head' tracks, in terms of melody. We wanted to keep it loose and not too rehearsed, it's one of those very experimental records though." Timberlake revealed that he went "left", regarding going more rock, not in how he developed the song, but in the way he sang the song. "I wanted to sing the song like a rock and roll singer, not an R&B singer. That's the approach." The day before recording, Timberlake and Timbaland had listened to David Bowie's "Rebel Rebel" and the Rapture's "House of Jealous Lovers". 

No accident those influences would resonate with me, and I'd get to tell the Squibbles about my favorite dance song probably ever, which is "House of Jealous Lovers". I'd also get to tell them about aughts dance/punk culture, one of my favorite subcultures of all-time, something that ruled the early aughts for me. It's my version of when pop when it had its last gasp at anything close to monoculture and when punk had any sort of personal relevance, one thing which had been dying since cable dominated the television market in the '80s, the other as I got older. 

4.ee - Carpenters - Merry Christmas Darling

A wistful Christmas classic that could never be mistaken for anything other than Pop.  It's a gorgeous song with Karen's mellow alto and Richard's beautiful arrangement featuring a celeste and a sax solo.  The Squibbles will surely appreciate the  vocal harmonies that close the song.

Big fan of the Christmas theme.  

Hope everyone filled up a Christmas stocking for each of the Squibbles and all their feet (they have a squillion each).

Round 4:

Pop

Dreams -- Fleetwood Mac

This is the toughest of the genres to define, as it literally means "whatever is popular at the time." So, the definition changes from year to year. But this song shares the characteristics of many of the best pop songs over time -- killer melody, gorgeous harmonies, memorable lyrics (in this case, about a real-life breakup with a bandmate) and thrilling instrumental touches that don't overwhelm the song (the electric piano intro, the guitar trills). And up to this point, I've only presented the Squibbles with male artists, so I want to give them a sense of women's contributions to our music. 

Standing in a grocery with everyone else in the world, waiting for OH to get off work so we can shop.  I came early to get a “head start” until I realized I don’t “know what I’m doing.”  Now just hanging out by the dips, three of which are the only items in my cart despite not being on my list.  This reminds me of when I had to be rescued from Target after going in with a list, panicking at the selection, and coming out only with a picnic basket and owl purse, neither of which were on my list.

Standing in a grocery with everyone else in the world, waiting for OH to get off work so we can shop.  I came early to get a “head start” until I realized I don’t “know what I’m doing.”  Now just hanging out by the dips, three of which are the only items in my cart despite not being on my list.  This reminds me of when I had to be rescued from Target after going in with a list, panicking at the selection, and coming out only with a picnic basket and owl purse, neither of which were on my list.
😃   Was this your owl purse?

Sorry all.  Been on the road most of the day.  Thought I'd have better service tonight, but not the case. 

I have not looked at the other picks, so if I take something already taken I'll fix in morning.

What is Rock &Roll?

Back in Black - AC/DC

What is Pop?

Party in the U.S.A - Miley Cyrus

I love this song :bag:

Users who are viewing this thread