What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charity Music Draft - Theme 4 (1 Viewer)

So I'm going with high school and boarding school. I've got my four picked. I'm not worried about sniping. My first band that I was into in seventh grade was Van Halen. Major junk rock. Butt rock. Flamboyant, riff-heavy, solo-laden and individually pyrotechnic, lyrics befitting the Sunset Strip and that cast of characters in and around the L.A. area. 

My next band? The complete opposite. Bay Area would-be intellectuals with guitars heavy on the reverb, a guitarist named Klaus Flouride, and a drummer whose name was a number (6025) before Eephus's acquaintance drummed in their band. Anyone who knew me from freshman year (like Chaos Commish, with tons of baby fat) would have heard this song or noted that it was pretty much expected to be played at my funeral. Preferable with baby fat slam dancing. From my street hockey days in G.'s basement (hanging with a friend and playing street hockey was my ultimate social engagement in ninth grade) I'll give you... 

Round One 

Dead Kennedys- Rawhide  

I've been a super fan since I was a tike. Had all kinds of costumes, memorabilia, nick nacks   doohickies, pictures and what not. My wife and my mom say my son is a mini me. On top of all that, my dorky sense of humor forces me to start off with a song that if I have to put in my will to be played when I get planted I will. Round 1 pick

I've been a super fan since I was a tike. Had all kinds of costumes, memorabilia, nick nacks   doohickies, pictures and what not. My wife and my mom say my son is a mini me. On top of all that, my dorky sense of humor forces me to start off with a song that if I have to put in my will to be played when I get planted I will. Round 1 pick
You are welcome at my party.  You'll see why in later rounds.

Not sure if it’s early onset empty nest syndrome (my oldest is already in college and my youngest will be going away to college this next fall which I’m excited for yet dreading), a bit of seasonal depression (missing seeing my extended family this year), or getting past a rougher year health wise, but I’m feeling extra “mortal” lately. 

I guess this puts me in a good headspace for this draft, but it’s also getting me pretty emotional thinking about songs my friends and family will be listening to at my funeral and how they’ll remember me. Case in point, I totally got choked up up this afternoon listening to the song I’ll be taking tomorrow. 

My kids are probably wondering why they’re getting extra hugs and more kisses on their heads whenever I walk by them these days. 

I forgot to throw my name in the hat earlier due to it being a busy time of year (Christmas, wrapping things up at work, fantasy football playoffs, etc.) But, I saw Captain Cranks extending some holiday hospitality on the previous page, so I’ll jump in.

My first pick has lyrics that sum up how I want the attendees to feel at my funeral. And how I try to respond at the funerals of others rather than getting mopey and morbid thinking about my own mortality. 

1. Love This Life- Crowded House

https://youtu.be/U1_Ody4BObg

Round 2:

I have a spotify mix called "Every Little Thing" and for years (even before Spotify) it has been sort of a catch all of positive feel good songs that has been the background music for me and my family.  My girls know most of the 300+ songs in it and this is the song that it was named for and the vibe it exudes and what I want the vibe to be at my funeral.

Three Little Birds - Bob Marley & The Wailers

Shangri-La Dee Da, the last album by Stone Temple Pilots before they broke up as a band, while not their greatest work had some very personal moments for Weiland while he was in an unfortunately brief period between rehab stints. 

This song is a letter of love/apology to his wife, lamenting what he wasn’t able to be for her while expressing all that she meant to him. These lyrics and this song are a perfect fit for this theme - a song of goodbye and a statement of all the things that should have been said long ago. 

2.YM - Wonderful - Stone Temple Pilots

If I were to die this mornin'
Would you tell me things that you wouldn't have?
Would you be my navigator?
Would you take me to a place we could hide?

As I'm falling out
I wonder what I lost
Must be moving on
Know I'll be waitin' here alone

I want to ask you to forgive me
I haven't been the best with all that I had
Wish I'd only laid beside you
I think I spread myself a little too thin

As I'm falling out
I wonder what I lost
Must be moving on
Know I'll be waitin' here alone

You're the everything
That led me to believe
"Hold on, hold on"
You're the wonder in everything
That's wonderful

As I'm fading out
I don't feel anything at all
Think I'm moving on
Know you'll be safe but not alone

You're the everything
That led me to believe
"Hold on, hold on"
You're the wonder in everything
That's wonderful
That's wonderful

Know you'll be safe but not alone

It’s funny some times how we choose friends that are similar to us in some ways and very different in other ways.

I have loved music my entire life and have always had tons of lps, 8 tracks, cassettes, CDs. My best friend had exactly one cassette in his vehicle in the late 80s, Gordon Lightfoot’s Greatest Hits. He was content to listen to whatever was on the radio. He had only bought the cassette at a gas station when he was on a long road trip and couldn’t pick up a station on the radio. 

I always had music playing in my vehicle and most of the time he didn’t comment about it. One day I was playing a song and he turned up the volume and asked me to repeat the song a number of times. He asked the name of the artist and the song title because he really enjoyed it. It became known as northern exposure’s song and that was how his family and friends referred to the song.

My best friend, Rod, passed away about ten years ago. When his wife phoned to give me the news I cried a little. Through the days leading up to his funeral I got choked up when I met his family and our friends. I got choked up while delivering his eulogy, but regained my composure so I could finish it. 

Afterwards we met at his brother’s house. We all shared stories and memories about Rod. Then Rod’s wife said she wanted to play some music because he would have wanted it that way. She played this song and I wept like a baby. 

Round 2 - If I Had A Boat - Lyle Lovett

https://youtu.be/hpM8FjO4Vko

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s funny some times how we choose friends that are similar to us in some ways and very different in other ways.

I have loved music my entire life and have always had tons of lps, 8 tracks, cassettes, CDs. My best friend had exactly one cassette in his vehicle in the late 80s, Gordon Lightfoot’s Greatest Hits. He was content to listen to whatever was on the radio. He had only bought the cassette at a gas station when he was on a long road trip and couldn’t pick up a station on the radio. 

I always had music playing in my vehicle and most of the time he didn’t comment about it. One day I was playing a song and he turned up the volume and asked me to repeat the song a number of times. He asked the name of the artist and the song title because he really enjoyed it. It became known as northern exposure’s song and that was how his family and friends referred to the song.

My best friend, Rod, passed away about ten years ago. When his wife phoned to give me the news I cried a little. Through the days leading up to his funeral I got choked up when I met his family and our friends. I got choked up while delivering his eulogy, but regained my composure so I could finish it. 

Afterwards we met at his brother’s house. We all shared stories and memories about Rod. Then Rod’s wife said she wanted to play some music because he would have wanted it that way. She played this song and I wept like a baby. 

Round 2 - If I Had A Boat - Lyle Lovett

https://youtu.be/hpM8FjO4Vko

:heart:   :cry:  

What a lovely story.  And I loved this song anyway.

Round 2: 

Love Is the Answer -- Utopia

Some of my friends also know me as a huge Todd Rundgren fan. This song is the closest thing he has written to a hymn, and as with my first selection, its title imparts a message I'd like everyone to take home with them.

A yacht-rocky cover by England Dan and John Ford Coley was a hit in the late '70s, but Todd's own version, recorded with his project Utopia, is better. I have also been drawn to it because of its perfect placement on the album it comes from, Oops! Wrong Planet. It is preceded by 11 songs mostly concerning horrible things happening to our planet and some of the people on it, and closes the record out with a solution to the problems depicted before. 

In bits and pieces over the years I’ve described a time in my life when I was heavily involved in the music scene in Chicago.  It began when I saw an article in the Chicago Tribune about a local band, and one of the members had been my boyfriend for a short time in high school.  We reconnected, and from there unfolded what I (perhaps sadly) consider the most exhilarating, energizing, and exciting time in my life.  Unlike @Pip's Invitation's “Lost Years,” these were more like my “Found Years.”  It was during this time that one of my musician friends first introduced me to Big Star, initially by virtue of one song, which he put on a mix tape(!) for me, and a brilliant cover of which his band performed at one of their shows.

At the same time that I was enmeshed in this scene, I also took what turned out to be the best job I ever had, improbably at a mega-corporation in the Chicago suburbs.  There I worked within the most talented and capable, ethical, and well-rounded group of legal professionals imaginable.  I made many friends who remain dear to me, but none more so than Doug, whom I’ve mentioned in music threads before as the person who, more than anyone else in the world, I trade music and movie recommendations…well, more than that, what we trade is our passion for them.  Though I left that job and moved away from Chicago in 2009, still not more than a few days will go by that Doug and I aren’t emailing to share something we’ve found – not just a new song or artist or movie, but sometimes just a different way of looking at a song we’ve long loved, or a more fully developed analysis, or a newly discovered performance or video, or our own musical interpretation.  He spent two years composing and mastering his own piano version of Radiohead’s “Exit Music (For A Film),” and we spent a year or two thereafter discussing it.  My friendship with Doug is the most invigorating purely platonic relationship I've ever had.

Doug and I often went out to lunch together, but sometimes we would end up merely driving around instead, because one of us had come across a new piece of music to share, and we would want to listen to it over and over.  I’ve never known another person who can, like me, listen to the same song dozens or even hundreds of times in a row, just to experience every bit of it fully.  So sometimes we’d miss lunch, or after lunch we’d get stuck in my car, Francesca (or as Doug called her, Fran), in the parking lot for a long while before begrudgingly returning to work.  Numerous songs would fit the bill of “song we listened to in the car for hours,” but somehow one sticks out to me, and, as it turned out, for Doug as well.  When for this exercise I asked him which song he associated most closely with me, he responded immediately:  “Easy.  Thirteen.”

Big Star - Thirteen

These have all been so sweet. Everybody has really cool stories from really cool times in their lives. I have limited my funeral to adolescence, and all its modernist, consumerist pain. 

Oh, God, is adolescence ever awkward. Tenth grade did not rule. Hockey, though, was great. State Champions of a lower division. (I give hockey updates because that was about my life in high school.)

Remember that time in high school you were in the play and had to kiss your real-life crush? You proceeded how? What was your favorite band that year and how did you cope with that scenario? 

Song: Cheyenne

Band: Hanoi Rocks

While my first marriage was a failure, it led to me adopting my oldest son. He was only two when I met his mother, and because I was young, selfish, and immature, I didn't give him the attention he deserved when he was little.

For middle school, he went to a charter school which required me to drive him to the bus stop at 5:30 in the morning. It was a 30 minute drive which we filled with the hard rock station he liked at the time. We wouldn't talk deeply about anything, but enjoyed that we had the music in common.

A couple of years ago I apologized for not spending enough time with him when he was growing up. He said he didn't notice and that everything was fine as far as he could tell, but I know better.  

Now that he's an adult, I make an effort to be the best dad I can to him, not that I can make up what was lost when he was younger. We talk frequently and share what's going on in our lives. There will be times when we'll hear one of the songs that got the most play during those drives to the bus stop. The one that resonates with me is Stone Sour's Absolute Zero, but he remembers this one most:

Five Finger Death Punch - Coming Down

2.ee - Amerie - 1 Thing

The second round is a good time to start a second line moving and grooving to a funky New Orleans beat.  Amerie's not from there but the song is built around a sample from The Meters' "Oh Calcutta".

If you asked @ditkaburgers to put together a mix of my life, I'm almost positive this song would make her list because she knows it's my jam.  She and her brother used to make fun of my love of 90s-00s female R&B artists but I just leaned into it.

It's 1972. I'm 10. I'm in the middle of an experience that shaped my soul forever. Dad is driving me, mom, and my two youngest sisters from... Southern California to... Panama. I was The Navigator. Girls can't read maps. 

It took two weeks to get there. A brand new Mercury Colony Park Station Wagon broke down twice. There's a half dozen worthy stories to tell, but trying to make Mexico City from Guadalajara on Cinco de Mayo had a theme song. They called it the Panamerican Highway in 1972 but it wasn't really a highway yet. It was a thousand road signs keeping you on course and hopefully safe. The ride to Mexico City was estimated at 7 hours, about what my dad wanted to drive daily. 

A little Cinco de Mayo practical joke tradition along that route was reversing signs to send traffic the wrong way. Twice early in the day I sent dad down dead ends that stopped in small incredibly poor pueblos. He was angry with me but when checking the maps he became equally confused. It turned into a very long day lost in Mexico. 

6 hours down many wrong roads with the sun setting we arrived in the town of Zacapu. O.M.G. what a party. It was straight out of a spaghetti western. More horses than cars. 

Yeah, I assumed that was meant to be ironic or something.  Otherwise I'd be :hot:  
It was tongue in cheek, but in 1972 in that car, my mom and sisters were worthless navigators. I was really into it. To this day, I remember every road from every day and love telling the stories. I paused to help my daughter with something, not a map, haha, but I am almost done.

ANNOUNCE:  Just to make sure everyone knows, you get two picks tomorrow, Wednesday.  This is so we can tally and award winners by 12/31.

Could someone please bump this since no one reads my posts?  TIA.

"Tongue in cheek" was what I was looking for when I said ironic.  :hifive:
Btw, the song that came up second here for this road trip was Managua Nicaragua. I almost told that story because I thought you'd be particularly interested. Short version. We again needed help negotiating our way. It was the most unorganized city I have ever seen. Nice guy hopped in next to mom to guide us to our hotel. He wasn't really invited into the car, but just insisted we needed him to help us get there. Same hotel Roberto Clemente would die in 8 months later. My favorite baseball player at the time and that earthquake took almost 30k lives. 

Anyway this very nice, very handsome, very charming, Managua Nicaraguan entertained us with hilarious broken english for 15 minutes getting us to the hotel. We thanked him and he suantered off proud of himself. He also robbed my mom's purse. lol.

ANNOUNCE:  Just to make sure everyone knows, you get two picks tomorrow, Wednesday.  This is so we can tally and award winners by 12/31.

Could someone please bump this since no one reads my posts?  TIA.
Are we staggering our picks - like one at noon eastern and one at 4pm eastern?  Or can we make them both at the same time?

Sorry if this was in your post, I didn’t really read it. 

It's 1972. I'm 10. I'm in the middle of an experience that shaped my soul forever. Dad is driving me, mom, and my two youngest sisters from... Southern California to... Panama. I was The Navigator. Girls can't read maps. 

It took two weeks to get there. A brand new Mercury Colony Park Station Wagon broke down twice. There's a half dozen worthy stories to tell, but trying to make Mexico City from Guadalajara on Cinco de Mayo had a theme song. They called it the Panamerican Highway in 1972 but it wasn't really a highway yet. It was a thousand road signs keeping you on course and hopefully safe. The ride to Mexico City was estimated at 7 hours, about what my dad wanted to drive daily. 

A little Cinco de Mayo practical joke tradition along that route was reversing signs to send traffic the wrong way. Twice early in the day I sent dad down dead ends that stopped in small incredibly poor pueblos. He was angry with me but when checking the maps he became equally confused. It turned into a very long day lost in Mexico. 

6 hours down many wrong roads with the sun setting we arrived in the town of Zacapu. O.M.G. what a party. It was straight out of a spaghetti western. More horses than cars. 
Oops. Posted accidentally while being interrupted by my sick and starving child. Fixed her something. Where was I?

More guns than horses and these loco caballeros were firing them into the sky while chugging tequila from bottles. Children may or may not have been clothed. 90 year old one legged women were dancing topless. I think it was dueling Mariachi bands playing the same song but it may have just been all the musicians available. The whole town was drunk.

Our new station wagon loaded with gringos was greeted like a UFO had landed. Dad inched through the mob in the town center like a limo driver full of rock stars after a concert. He tried asking directions to Mexico City, but these drunks leered at my teen sisters and it unnerved him. He inched a little aggressively knocking a man down. and the mob turned 50-50 in anger and defense of us. A tequila bottle bearing, heavily armed "cop" intervened yelling through a megaphone. Dad rolled down his window again and they argued which dispersed the crowd enough for dad to make a weaving run for it. The road made a big "U" through the town square. We were literally chased by drunks on horseback as we made for the darkness beyond the party heading back from which we came. 

Ten miles out of Zacapu dad got out and had a cigarette staring at the sky then using a flashlight on my map. He was navigating by the stars at this point but showed me where he thought/hoped we were. We were eastbound according to the sky, at least it was the right heading for Mexico City. 

An hour later on a dirt road, high on a pitch black hill, we had a blow out. He had me help him unpack to get to the jack and spare, which of course was beneath our load. Mission accomplished we were rolling and about an hour later the lights of a big city emerged in the distance. Morelia! I found it! It was after midnight. We'd been on the road 12 hours. Dad gave me the AAA Guide to Mexico and told me to find the best hotel in town. It was a stunning property. We checked in exhuasted and all went straight to bed, but I couldn't sleep. 

So having lived with one bathroom and four sisters I figured this was a good time for a shower. We had two rooms that shared a common bathroom. It was a suite of sorts. Everyone was sleeping soundly for maybe 2 hours when I turned on the water. A herd of giant cockroaches came rushing out from the drain. I screamed. Woke everyone up. When they turned the lights on la cucarachas were running up and down the walls. Dozens of them. No way we could sleep there so back in the wagon and we made for Mexico City at 4am where we spent three lovely and needed days. 

The song those mariachis were playing in Zacapu is Cuban. It's also likely the most covered Spanish language song. Whenever I hear it, it ends up stuck in my head and reminds me of the wild ride to Panama. 

I looked for a festive version, but nothing compares to the Cinco de Mayo drunken musicians in Zacapu 1972. I mean where's the tuba and the fiddles and the aluminum trash can percussions and the random use of firearms?

2.xx The Mariachis - Guantanamera

Anyway this very nice, very handsome, very charming, Managua Nicaraguan entertained us with hilarious broken english for 15 minutes getting us to the hotel. ... He also robbed my mom's purse. lol.

This is par for the course in Nica.  Love it so hard.

Are we staggering our picks - like one at noon eastern and one at 4pm eastern?  Or can we make them both at the same time?

Sorry if this was in your post, I didn’t really read it. 

:lol:

I don't think Cranks ever said.  I'm assuming just post them both whenever you wish after noon EST.  There doesn't seem to be a snipe factor here anyway.

It was tongue in cheek, but in 1972 in that car, my mom and sisters were worthless navigators.
I figured.  My dad taught me to navigate because Mom was so awful at it.  Turn right, no left, I mean right.  Aaargh.  She had no sense of direction.  Mr R's parents were like that, too.  He also got the navigator position.

Users who are viewing this thread