What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charity Music Draft - Theme 4 (2 Viewers)

Ok, time to lighten things up after my last song choice. This one is for/from my sisters and my mom. 

3.YM - September - Earth, Wind & Fire

This song is about my actual birthday (the 21st night of September), so it became a running joke in my family that they would play this song for me every year for my birthday. Even today, I’ll still get the memes of people singing and dancing to this song sent to me via text, email, Facebook message (before I quit that hellsite). 

I figure this will be a fun/funny sendoff at the end of the ceremony. 

Never was a cloudy day

Last edited by a moderator:
Round 3

In 2015, my oldest son said he wanted to learn how to play the guitar.  I bought him a 'game' for the X-box called Rocksmith which allows you to plug in a real electric guitar and learn to play notes and chords of various songs. Despite his passion for video games, he never took to it so the game and guitar collected dust. After a few months, I decided to give it a go in hopes it might attract my oldest to play. Instead, it caught the attention of my youngest who was only 7 at the time. Pretty soon, any time I sat down to play, my youngest would quickly want his turn. Here's a session of when he first started playing.       

It wasn't long before he surpassed his dad's abilities and now, after six years of playing, he's able to play songs like Stairway to Heaven from scratch after about an hour of practice. When I mentioned this theme to him and asked him which song he'd choose, he selected Got Me Wrong - Alice in Chains. This was a song I was working on last year and after he heard me struggle, asked what it was. Within 15 minutes he had watched a Youtube and mastered the chords.  Little bugger.  

krista4 said:

And I said, "What about Breakfast at Tiffany's?"
She said, "I think I remember the film"
And as I recall I think we both kind of liked it
And I said, "Well that's the one thing we've got"
My sad reaction for this represents laughing AND crying

My final two picks are going to be sing-alongs.

You had to know I'd have a Beatles song on here.  As I mentioned in my first Beatles countdown, I was a late adopter, and it was only during my "Found Years" that I began to love their music.  It finally clicked for me in 2000 when the first Mr. krista covered "She Loves You" at a show.  From there...well, we all know how it went.

I asked OH which song reminded him of me the most.  It wasn't my favorite Beatles song or even one of my top 10.  It was this one, which he chose because it's seared into his brain that the first time he heard it, we were on a road trip and I was driving along the coast of Washington singing it at the top of my lungs.  Now when we hear it in the car, we perform it as a duet.  It's my favorite Beatles sing-along - I take the John part.

The Beatles - Two Of Us

krista4 said:
Jeez.  Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes with that pick.  Imitation is the highest form of flattery, or something like that, right?

I'm still trying to get a handle on this theme.  

Wait a minute
I firmly believed that I
Didn't need anyone but me
I sincerely thought I was so complete
Look how wrong you can be

My pick for round 3 is Rod Stewart's Every Picture Tells a Story

Jeez.  Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes with that pick.  Imitation is the highest form of flattery, or something like that, right?

I'm still trying to get a handle on this theme.  

Wait a minute
I firmly believed that I
Didn't need anyone but me
I sincerely thought I was so complete
Look how wrong you can be

My pick for round 3 is Rod Stewart's Every Picture Tells a Story

Ah no, you didn't.  It's just a running joke since the time of my first Beatles thread how much I HATE Joe Cocker's covers.

Love this pick, btw.

I'm going a different direction with this song...

I love my country in some ways, and in others not so much.  I think our society is a cesspool for various reasons.  When this song came out I was like "YES!"....I will see you down in Arizona Bay!......I would imagine any codgers, or people who have a general distaste for heavier music, may leave the the proceedings when this one gets fired up.

Tool AEnema

3.ee - New Radicals - You Get What You Give

Chosen for its optimistic philosophy and to make sure I'm really dead. If I don't sit up in my coffin and shout along with the "come around, we'll kick your asses" part, my body is ready for disposal.

You've got the music in you
Don't let go
You've got the music in you
One dance left
This world is gonna pull through
Don't give up
You've got a reason to live
Can't forget
We only get what we give

When I graduated from high school, very few of my classmates went on to University. So I moved between my group of high school friends and my new found University friends. Near the end of my first year of University, I decided to have a meeting of the two groups of friends. The venue was The Artful Dodger, a English style pub in our fair city. At first it appeared this meeting of two separate groups would go about as well as the Middle East peace talks. 
My High School friends scoffed when the University group brought up our Poly Sci instructor that we all mocked. The University crowd jeered the High School friends when we recalled the bottle of Everclear we snuck into our graduation ceremony. Things were not going well.

Luckily The Artful Dodger had live entertainment. So there was an older guy (my God he must have been 40 Lol - we can be so stupid when we are young) playing an acoustic guitar and encouraging the crowd to sing along. He started playing one of my favourite traditional songs and I started singing (badly) along and encouraged both groups to join me. They reluctantly joined in and when he finished I yelled at the top of my lungs “One more time!”. Off he went again from the start and now both groups were together with me. People drinking Black and Tans, Guinness, lager and limes, we were all united as one singing along awfully with this song. I always have fond memories when I hear this song. People can sing along and remember me.

Round 3 - The Black Velvet Band - The Dubliners 
https://youtu.be/ODaFfZpwYjA

Years later I was in England in a pub when a musician started to play this song. I began singing along. This was just like at home, right? The burly bartender didn’t agree. He came over to our table and said “Oi, Mick Jagger! Nobody paid to hear you sing, shut it!”

That was a long story, so my Round 4 pick will be quick and to the point. I would want people to be happy, dancing, singing and drinking as they remember me. So, this song would have to be played.

Round 4 “If I Should Fall From Grace With God” - The Pogues 

https://youtu.be/tS6DkktSrMA

I'm with simey today. Light on the stories. I'll keep it on the music. No sports updates. Maybe a little...

One was a favorite during my junior year of school. Anyone who really knew me from my favorite class that year, or most memorable, anyway -- Spanish class and its attendant hijinks -- would have known that I loved the crossover metal/hardcore album that Bad Brains put out in 1989. It got me full-on into the band. The lyrics were extra endearing to me, as I was a straight edge back then. 

Song: Soul Craft

Artist: Bad Brains 

The other is from that self-help/emo/plea for emotional peace album that Suicidal Tendencies had put out in 1988, How Will I Laugh Tomorrow..., which was a year prior to '89, when I discovered it, and onto 1990, when I truly loved it. I distinctly remember listening to this song, emotional as all heck about something, in an adolescent fury/bliss. How a bunch of distinctly Los Angeles latinos ever appealed to a hundred thousand (maybe more, maybe less) suburb kids in addition to their fervent L.A. fan base will always be a mystery to me, a phenomena examined at length and with no satisfactory answer in American Hardcore, that interesting movie. To have traversed the terrain of '90 with such universal longing, metal/hardcore leanings, and emo lyrics back then was really quite special. Anyway, you can catch me all over the yearbook wearing one of their various rock shirts...until next time, see you all later. 

I dug my hole too deep 
I couldn't admit 
I didn't know when to stop
But you can only dig your hole six feet
Until the dirt comes back on top 
I've got a long way left to climb/but I'll still look you straight in the eye
And I can honestly say I'll never quit/not even on the day I die 
Feeling's back and you just can't stop it...

Song: The Feeling's Back 

Artist: Suicidal Tendencies 

My parents got married when my mom became pregnant with my brother at the age of 19.  Four years later, I arrived.  When I was five years old, they divorced. 

Mine’s far from sad “broken family” tale.   My parents lived near each other, and we spent five days a week with my mom and two with my dad.  I was also lucky enough to have all my grandparents within a few miles, and as my divorced parents each worked hard to provide for their split family, my brother and I spent greater-than-average time with our grandparents and drew unusually close to them (my brother had my maternal grandfather as his best man in his wedding!).  We also grew up with a loving and lovely stepmother with whom my dad shared the most extraordinary relationship that a child could hope to pattern their own after (setting aside our failure to do so), and because my stepmother had four sisters, we suddenly had a large extended step-family to supplement our teeny-tiny one. 

As close as I was to the rest of my family, my best friend is, always has been, and always will be my mom.  She had me so young that we sorta grew up together.  She was always the “cool mom,” driving a Camaro (ha!), highlighting her 80s-voluminous hair, and sharing her always-trendy (for better or worse) clothes with me.  More often than not, people thought we were sisters.  But beneath all that “cool” was even more “fierce.”  Due to her pregnancy, she’d dropped out of school after earning her Associates degree in nursing, but after the divorce she worked two jobs while working toward her Bachelors.  She moved up the nursing ranks from ER nurse through to supervisor and then into administration, and after receiving her MBA at the age of 40, she continued upward all the way to hospital administrator.   

My mom and I are both quiet people.  From her, I learned that being quiet doesn’t mean you can’t be confident, assertive, and strong, even though you have to make an extra effort to be “heard.”  My mom is a soft-spoken badass.

One area where neither of us is quiet, though, is our shared tendency to blast music and sing at the top of our lungs.  And there’s one song that, since I was a child and through to this day, my mom and I have always dueted together. I take the high parts on this one.  No doubt it's the song she'd say reminds her most of me.

The Righteous Brothers - You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'

:heart:

ETA: nurses are the BEST!!

My mom was happy to continue her education, but sorry that it eventually led to her getting into administration.  She loved nursing, and especially loved working the ER.  I think she'd still do it to this day if she could.  She volunteered with a COVID clinic last year when they were short-handed.

I'm wishing it was ten rounds or more. Just can't narrow this down atm. I know what I want to say, but I can't agree on applicable music. I'm bored and lonely between holidays on cold cloudy desert days here. Thus the tl/drs. The reminiscing is more for me than for this place.

The wild horses and donkeys at the rescue always get neglected this week. It's on my semi-daily walk. I have 100 pounds of carrots in my truck. 25 lb bags are cheap. Feeding them is such a kick when they're hungry. So I'll go do that, shovel a load of their compost into the bed, and tl/dr y'all one more time a little later.

My mom was happy to continue her education, but sorry that it eventually led to her getting into administration.  She loved nursing, and especially loved working the ER.  I think she'd still do it to this day if she could.  She volunteered with a COVID clinic last year when they were short-handed.
and i love that, unless they are the old, schoolcap type who are totally up in the bull####, nurses are the antidote to bull####. why you're hurt, hysterical or handicapped just falls away to the needs of care, then support. oh, that we could all muddle thru the way nurses want us to...

Is there an interested observer who would be willing to take in and tabulate the votes for this one?  Since I'm drafting, it doesn't feel like I should do it.

At many viewings/ceremonies, etc. you’ll get a song accompanying a video with shuffling pictures of the deceased at various times in their life — this is that song.
My folks have wide, varied and eclectic musical tastes, as evidenced by this song — they aren’t Greek, brass-lovers, or from Tijuana….

But they still remember (and so do I, vaguely?) ~ 3y.o. li’l tyke higgins fiercely dancing to this song (more like jumping/spinning?) on the occasions they played it during this period.

Round 4 — ‘Zorba the Greek’, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass — 2nd song in sequence.

4.ee - Bobby Womack - I Left My Heart in San Francisco

Next month will mark 40 years for me in the city where little cable cars climb halfway to the stars. I didn't know it at the time but my love was waiting there.  I came here the week before the 49ers first Super Bowl and haven't ever seriously considered  leaving. 

Tony Bennett is a national treasure but I find his version of the song to be a bit mawkish, especially when compared with the extreme grooviness of Womack's rendition.

At many viewings/ceremonies, etc. you’ll get a song accompanying a video with shuffling pictures of the deceased at various times in their life — this is that song.
My folks have wide, varied and eclectic musical tastes, as evidenced by this song — they aren’t Greek, brass-lovers, or from Tijuana….

But they still remember (and so do I, vaguely?) ~ 3y.o. li’l tyke higgins fiercely dancing to this song (more like jumping/spinning?) on the occasions they played it during this period.

Round 4 — ‘Zorba the Greek’, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass — 2nd song in sequence.

A song about a Greek portrayed by a Mexican actor performed in a Mexican style by a Jewish American trumpet player.

My parents got married when my mom became pregnant with my brother at the age of 19.  Four years later, I arrived.  When I was five years old, they divorced. 

Mine’s far from sad “broken family” tale.   My parents lived near each other, and we spent five days a week with my mom and two with my dad.  I was also lucky enough to have all my grandparents within a few miles, and as my divorced parents each worked hard to provide for their split family, my brother and I spent greater-than-average time with our grandparents and drew unusually close to them (my brother had my maternal grandfather as his best man in his wedding!).  We also grew up with a loving and lovely stepmother with whom my dad shared the most extraordinary relationship that a child could hope to pattern their own after (setting aside our failure to do so), and because my stepmother had four sisters, we suddenly had a large extended step-family to supplement our teeny-tiny one. 

As close as I was to the rest of my family, my best friend is, always has been, and always will be my mom.  She had me so young that we sorta grew up together.  She was always the “cool mom,” driving a Camaro (ha!), highlighting her 80s-voluminous hair, and sharing her always-trendy (for better or worse) clothes with me.  More often than not, people thought we were sisters.  But beneath all that “cool” was even more “fierce.”  Due to her pregnancy, she’d dropped out of school after earning her Associates degree in nursing, but after the divorce she worked two jobs while working toward her Bachelors.  She moved up the nursing ranks from fill-in ER nurse through to supervisor and then into administration, and after receiving her MBA at the age of 40, she continued upward all the way to hospital administrator.   

My mom and I are both quiet people.  From her, I learned that being quiet doesn’t mean you can’t be confident, assertive, and strong, even though you have to make an extra effort to be “heard.”  My mom is a soft-spoken badass.

One area where neither of us is quiet, though, is our shared tendency to blast music and sing at the top of our lungs.  And there’s one song that, since I was a child and through to this day, my mom and I have always dueted together. I take the high parts on this one.  No doubt it's the song she'd say reminds her most of me.

The Righteous Brothers - You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
I’m sure Maverick and Goose from Top Gun can’t hold a candle to you and your Mom singing this song.

Round 3:

Jesus, Etc. -- Wilco

The friends I made in NYC during my Lost Years may associate this song with me. Though the song was written before 9/11, it was released after it and became a symbol of the strange vibe we all felt in the wake of it. It was a song many of us would sing together a lot, whether we were at a Wilco show or not. 

Jesus, don't cry
You can rely on me, honey
You can combine anything you want
I'll be around
You were right about the stars
Each one is a setting sun

Tall building shake
Voices escape singing sad, sad songs
Tuned to chords, strung down your cheeks
Bitter melodies turning your orbit around

Don't cry
You can rely on me, honey
You can come by any time you want
I'll be around
You were right about the stars
Each one is a setting sun

Tall buildings shake

Voices whine
Skyscrapers are scraping together
Your voice is smoking
Last cigarettes are all you can get
Turning your orbit around

Our love
Our love
Our love is all we have
Our love
Our love is all of God's money
Everyone is a burning sun

Tall buildings shake

Voices whine
Skyscrapers are scraping together
Your voice is smoking

Round 4:

Endings -- Ambrosia

I don't think I've ever told anyone what this song means to me, but hopefully there is a lot of time left for that. 

This is the only song where the first time I heard it, I thought "I might want to have that played at my funeral." This is not a conversation I'm ready to have in real life yet.

While it arose from mundane beginnings -- apparently it was frontman David Pack's reaction to his realization that the band was on its last legs (thus it is the final song on their final album) -- the music and lyrics paired together are simply stunning, and the bolded portion of the lyrics are something I'd want everyone I leave behind to keep in mind. 

The season of life is here
And the reason to live is clear
We've waited 'till who knows when
For the time to begin again
It's more than the change of time
It's something that's in all our minds
That no matter where or when
For endings are only
Places where all things begin

And the end is near
Of things we have grown to fear
We worry and reason why
With the times that change our lives
But more than the changing time
Is the image in all our minds
Of where it should be or when
For endings are always
Places where all things begin
Oh, look at the sun
On every stage, in everyone
Ah, stand in the light
As we get on, we will put up a fight
(Places where) all things begin...

so we get two picks this round and if this is songs that should be played in celebration at the swcers funeral then my last two picks are 

what im for pat green

which is a great song and sort of sums up how i try to be and i guess i am morally and ethically obligated to end my funeral with

looking glass brandy

sometimes yous gots to give the people what they want and dance with the girl that brung ya take that to the bank brohans

I've been having long conversations with my best friend from college who's my partner in Lakers season tickets, and my bro, and my nephew in Hawaii who's a great friend. Without explanation I've broached this topic with each of them and my kid. All four defined/described me in similar fashions. Sports junkie, basketball first, music weirdo, beach/surf guy, wanderlust, road tripper. The nephew and daughter both quoted something I've said for 4 decades: "My favorite thing to do is go some place I've never been." Words that have infected them with the same thinking. 

But I don't consider myself well-traveled. Never seen NYC, Chicago, Florida, most the country east of the Rockies. Been to Italy once. 99% of my travels have been on the road. Sadly, when I've flown somewhere maybe 90% of the time it's been to one of two destinations, Cabo and Hawaii. I know every inch of the east cape of the Baja peninsula. Driven there a few times too. Seen all the islands even Lanai, Molokai and Niihau (the forbidden island). I once spent three days camping on the beach in the little known Northwestern Hawaiian Islands helping remove marine debris (trash).    

I think I'll have my nephew spread my ashes high up a trail of waterfalls off the road to Hana on Maui. Not in the ocean, too cliche. I'll take white water views from above the falls and over the rainbows. My favorite vloggers are Jaime and Koa, pro surfers living the life on Oahu's north shore. They lead me to much of the new music I listen to. My crypto-to-the-moon fantasy is to become their neighbors. Be the old dude who only SUPs the little waves but lives the life vicariously there. That's my heaven.

If ever a voice from heaven came from that heaven, it's Isreal Kamakawiwo'ole's. The vid below of his beautiful rendition includes his ashes being dumped in the ocean. Hope you give it a watch.

IZ - Somewhere over the Rainbow

Users who are viewing this thread