What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charity Music Draft - Theme 4 (1 Viewer)

The late Eephus

The Beach Boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice

Amerie - 1 Thing

New Radicals - You Get What You Give

Bobby Womack - I Left My Heart in San Francisco

This is terrible, I'm glad I won't be around to listen to it.

:lmao:   You got one of my votes.

I seriously couldn't carry a tune if someone superglued it in a rucksack. My wife (and now my kids and I believe our pooch too) wholeheartedly agrees. But when our first born was a baby I would make a point of sing-reading or read-singing this song from a book I picked up at an airport bookstore. When I saw it I knew it was for me and her. Sitting in a rocking chair and lullabying her to sleep with this book. After she was asleep, my wife would put on one of those soothing nature sound CDs (rainforest, rainstorms, etc). Fortunately for me I would be up later and up earlier than her and would swap out the stupid make someone pee 8 times a night with the CD that came with this book on perpetual repeat. I'm reasonably sure it will be the Daddy-Daughter dance song at her wedding (if there is one) and totally positively 100% certain it'd be her song to me at my funeral (pretty certain there will be one) Good Night My Angel Billy Joel 

Every couple has their "song". A shmarmy love song that professes their devotion to one another, plays well at the slow dance DJ request at their's and other's weddings. Ours is a Peter Cetera song. Beautiful song. Fits the moment perfectly. 

But the song we both agree fits our "us" is just as shmarmy, but we both know that it's more appropriate. I was a forty something car (not very good at it salesman) (no white saddle shoes tho) that met a cute as hell staff accountant on a blind date on the night before Valentines Day 27 years ago. We both had our pasts up to this point, but agree, they're irrelevant as to what got us to how we got to that point. The rest though - as they say - is history. The song that we agree suits us to a T is Is this song

@Mister CIAsorry for your loss man.  We have a 15 yo Brittany that is our first kid.  She's my girl.  She's not long for this world, i know that, but she's hangin in there.......Anyway, as a dog lover, my heart goes out to you.

Every couple has their "song". A shmarmy love song that professes their devotion to one another, plays well at the slow dance DJ request at their's and other's weddings.
I'm pretty sure that one of the reasons Mr R and I are together is that we don't have this.  Ick.  The closest we have to our song is this one.

So sorry to hear this.  Hope everything will be well with the Marcos.
Thanks, k4.  Crises averted.

Since there's still time, I'm going to post my other 3 songs that I'd selected for this draft.   

Cornershop - Brimful of Asha

When my daughters were young (late 90's/early aughts) they were exposed to music that I was always listening to. They gravitated to the poppy/catchier songs.  I put together a mix of 20 of those songs on a CD that they played a lot. 

My eldest loved this song and anytime we got in the car would say "play 45"!  So I did.  

When she was 8 she was diagnosed with a spinal cord tumor.  Initially we didn't know if it was benign or malignant.  She had to undergo a 40 minute MRI to get a better view of the lesion.  They let her pick a CD to listen to during that horrible experience (those of you that have had an MRI know how awful and noisy that is).  She picked her mix.  This is her favorite song on that mix.

The tumor was benign. 

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

While my eldest daughter loved the same music with me early on she diverged with her friends, as most kids do.

My younger daughter, OTOH, kind of stuck with me. She hosts a radio show on her college station with her roommate and they play NMH almost every week. She loves this album and the title track would almost certainly be the one chosen for this occasion.

U2 - With Or Without You  (my R1 pick)

Wilco - Wishful Thinking

My family and friends now would agree that Wilco is my overall favorite band of the past 20 years and would have to include something from them in the playlist.  Many songs to choose from but they'd probably go with this one today.  

Let's set a deadline of 3 PM ET today to get your votes in and then winner announcement by 4 PM if that works for your schedule, RW.

After dealing with explosive,bloody diarrhea since 3am it turned to bloody vomiting a few hours ago. Daisy has gone on to be with her buddy Shelby who we lost in the summer. 😭

I can continue to tabulate votes.
Well damn.  This holiday season is turning into a real bummah.  We have FBGs dogs dying, wildfires burning up FBGs homes...  what else can go wrong this year?  Sorry for the loss of your pooch.  That really sucks.  Take care.  

After dealing with explosive,bloody diarrhea since 3am it turned to bloody vomiting a few hours ago. Daisy has gone on to be with her buddy Shelby who we lost in the summer. 😭

I can continue to tabulate votes.
I'm sorry, weasel.  The rainbow bridge has unfortunately been busy for some fury family members the last couple of days. I'm sure Shelby is waiting for her on the other side. 🌈  RIP Daisy 🌼

We've got our results!  Coming in third place with 10 points is none other than....Captain Cranks? Ha. I finally placed!

In second place with 13 points is @Chaos Commish

And the winner of our fourth and final Charity theme with 16 points is @krista4

Congratulations!  Please send me the charity who gets $500 before the clock strikes midnight.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've got our results!  Coming in third place with 10 points is no other than....Captain Cranks? Ha. I finally placed!

In second place with 13 points is @Chaos Commish

And the winner of our fourth and final Charity theme with 16 points is @krista4

Congratulations!  Please send me the charity who gets $500 before the clock strikes midnight.

:shock:   I'm beyond surprised and hadn't considered a charity.   The one I would have chosen has already been covered when Ilov80s one, so I'm going to choose a different one.  Gimme a few minutes.

Where would you like your $100 to go?  And @Chaos Commish, let me know if you want your donation to go to the same place as before, or if you'd like a different one.

:shock:   I'm beyond surprised and hadn't considered a charity.   The one I would have chosen has already been covered when Ilov80s one, so I'm going to choose a different one.  Gimme a few minutes.

Where would you like your $100 to go?  And @Chaos Commish, let me know if you want your donation to go to the same place as before, or if you'd like a different one.
Thanks, Krista! My youngest has a rare bleeding disorder and so I've seen first hand how this organization helps kids like him cope with his disease.

National Hemophilia Foundation

Thanks, Krista! My youngest has a rare bleeding disorder and so I've seen first hand how this organization helps kids like him cope with his disease.

National Hemophilia Foundation

Aw, I'm going to double it and donate $200.  Can't thank you enough for putting together these drafts.

For mine, please donate to American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.  I'm sure we've all been touched by suicide; for me, this is in memory of my maternal grandma, who killed herself at age 69.  This year alone I've had three friends lose children to suicide, the pain of which is unimaginable to me.

Ummm, sorry to be such a bummer.  Thank you again for everything!

Aw, I'm going to double it and donate $200.  Can't thank you enough for putting together these drafts.

For mine, please donate to American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.  I'm sure we've all been touched by suicide; for me, this is in memory of my maternal grandma, who killed herself at age 69.  This year alone I've had three friends lose children to suicide, the pain of which is unimaginable to me.

Ummm, sorry to be such a bummer.  Thank you again for everything!
Thanks so much for this and keeping everything running throughout!

Great cause you've selected.

Hey everyone....  I just wanted to make everyone aware that my charity, the Pine Street Inn, has arranged to have all donations made today doubled.  This is a great charity that has been very successful in getting homeless people off the street and into a housing arrangement.  

"Sometimes a series of complicated life challenges causes people to go from stability and a home to homelessness."  This statement scares the hell out of me because I have met homeless people who have had successful, conventional lives.  

Some data from their site:

• More than 91% of chronically homeless individuals placed in housing remain long-term.
  • Moving someone from the streets/shelter to housing saves roughly $10,000 per person, per year in emergency healthcare, public safety and shelter costs.
  • Within the past year, Pine Street helped more than 1,100 men and women move from homelessness to housing, either to Pine Street Inn's supportive housing or to other housing options.
  • After tenants become stable in Pine Street’s supportive housing, they may be ready to move on to more independent living. Staff then assist people in finding an apartment and furnishings, and assist in the move-in process. Staff provide short-term support as tenants settle into their new homes.
Being homeless in Boston during January/February (especially) is no walk in the park.  

I have already given some multiple of my third-place CMD winning.  I ask all FBGs to consider where their donation will have the biggest bang for their buck.  

TIA.

I voted for both Cranks and Krista so this is satisfying. Just loved your last pick and story Krista. Cranks, your whole entry was solid and refreshing, but I confess you got bonus points for your generosity and the good music, memories and company (from all y'all) that got me and my holiday scrooginess to New Year's. Muchas gracias, amigo. As my South African BiL would say, "good on ya, mate."

My theme was how childhood travels shaped me to the end of the line. The abject poverty witnessed on the way to Panama has never left my thoughts. My dad tried to be generous when we encountered it directly. He even tipped the Managuan who stole my mom's cash (before we knew). When I describe my junkie-nurse ex to her daughter (they don't know each other), I always include that she was the most charitable person I have ever known. Always giving directly to the homeless in San Diego, volunteering to nurse those in need while sincerely spending time getting to know them. She'd experienced homelessness first hand. 

So Krista, I have a heart to split this one. I'll pony up another $500.

Please send yours to @johnnycakes Pine Street Inn (can't beat having it matched and again directly helping the homeless). I'll tap the $250 button. My other 250 will go to something I've supported for a few years including scuba diving to plant man-made coral reefs. Fragments of Hope is founded and run by one of my favorite people in the world, Lisa Carne. 

Well, it's alright, as long as you lend a hand

I voted for both Cranks and Krista so this is satisfying. Just loved your last pick and story Krista. Cranks, your whole entry was solid and refreshing, but I confess you got bonus points for your generosity and the good music, memories and company (from all y'all) that got me and my holiday scrooginess to New Year's. Muchas gracias, amigo. As my South African BiL would say, "good on ya, mate."

My theme was how childhood travels shaped me to the end of the line. The abject poverty witnessed on the way to Panama has never left my thoughts. My dad tried to be generous when we encountered it directly. He even tipped the Managuan who stole my mom's cash (before we knew). When I describe my junkie-nurse ex to her daughter (they don't know each other), I always include that she was the most charitable person I have ever known. Always giving directly to the homeless in San Diego, volunteering to nurse those in need while sincerely spending time getting to know them. She'd experienced homelessness first hand. 

So Krista, I have a heart to split this one. I'll pony up another $500.

Please send yours to @johnnycakes Pine Street Inn (can't beat having it matched and again directly helping the homeless). I'll tap the $250 button. My other 250 will go to something I've supported for a few years including scuba diving to plant man-made coral reefs. Fragments of Hope is founded and run by one of my favorite people in the world, Lisa Carne. 

Well, it's alright, as long as you lend a hand

:heart:   You're amazing.  Additional donation to Pine Street Inn has been made.

I am bringing in the New Year with an elderly dog. I was supposed to go to Durham and visit some friends and fondue tonight, but his mom died a couple weeks ago, and tomorrow the will is being read at the beach where his brother and sister live (and my friends own a house there too that they rent out). Their dog can't go for various reasons, and so I'm staying with her until Sunday. There have been fireworks going off outside the house for the last 2 hours. I guess it is good that the dog is almost deaf. 

Thanks captain for bringing forth the Charity Draft, and of course for contributing so much money. Thank you also to k4 for her contributions, and for CC and Marco for contributing too. Sorry if I left anyone out on that part. For those of us that didn't get to pick our charity, we still helped a charity to be picked. We're all winners here. 🏆

Users who are viewing this thread