What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charles Woodson to sign with Green Bay (1 Viewer)

Michael Fox Fan

Footballguy
According to a reliable source, Charles Woodson has agreed to a 7 year, $52M deal with Green Bay.

Cannot provide a link, but my source is a sports reporter for a Wisconsin newspaper. His direct quote was "this will be announced within the next hour or two, bank on it. It's a done deal."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5544380

FOXSports.com has learned that the Packers have agreed to terms on a seven-year deal in the $45 million range for Raiders Pro Bowl defensive back Charles Woodson. Woodson, however, has not yet signed the deal. The deal also includes a total of $10.5 million in the first year, between salary and bonuses. The deal is also likely structured much in the way LaVar Arrington's incentives-laden deal was with the Giants.

Woodson had been talking to the Bucs about joining their secondary, likely as a safety, but opted for the money that the Packers were offering instead. Woodson played in just six games last year before injury cut his season short. He has 17 career interceptions but in the last five years has only had one season with more than one pick.

Edited to add a link & text. [even though the 1st link available ended up with the wrong contract value, lol]

Last edited by a moderator:
He is not worth that kind of money at this point in his career. GB missed on this one. Nice little payday for Charles though! :thumbup: :lmao:

At the above number this would be insane. I suspect, however, that the real number is much less. Probably really a three or four year deal with yearly totals closer to 4 million rather than 7.5 million each of 7 years. It would not surprise me to see years 5, 6, and 7 at 10 or 11 million.

Confirmed:

Packers | Woodson agrees to seven-year deal

Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:14:24 -0700

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Green Bay Packers have reached a seven-year deal with free agent CB Charles Woodson (Raiders) worth around $45 million. While the deal has been agreed to, Woodson has yet to sign the deal.

even if he's hurt 60% of the time, still a "big" signing for GB.

Does Favre coming back have anything to do with it?

:unsure:

Green Bay blew their wad.... on the wrong guy.

Good God that is a ripoff for GB.
How can you tell? Arrington's deal was announced as 7yrs, $49 mil...he wont get 33% of that. Agents announce the deals. Agents want to annouce the full, possible value, so people, as you did, think WOW, WHAT A DEAL.

Woodson agrees to terms with Packers

TOM SILVERSTEIN

4/26/2006

The Green Bay Packers have agreed to terms with free-agent cornerback Charles Woodson on a seven-year, $52 million contract, agent Carl Poston said this afternoon.

The Packers were in a heated battle with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for Woodson's services and had been in discussions with Poston over the past several weeks. Talks picked up the past couple of days and Woodson apparently was both encouraged by the money the Packers were offering and the return of quarterback Brett Favre.

The structure of the contract is unknown and it's unclear how much guaranteed money Woodson will earn, but the Packers apparently made a significant financial committment to the four-time Pro Bowl cornerback who was a first-round draft choice of the Oakland Raiders.

As Oakland's franchise designation the past two seasons, Woodson was paid base salaries of $8.78 million in 2004 and $10.53 million in '05, but after an injury-filled season the Raiders decided to let him go.

Regardless of the Raiders' disinterest, there are plenty of people around the National Football League who think the 6-1, 200-pound Woodson can still be an effective player despite missing 21 games over the past four seasons due to injury, including 10 with a broken right leg last year. Some think his days as classic cover corner are behind him, but if moved to a safety position where he can use his strong tackling and blitzing skills he can be special.

Last year, the Raiders played him all over the field, moving him from corner, to the slot, to inside the box, to deep safety. He had 30 tackles and one interception when in the seventh game of the year he suffered a broken right leg making a tackle at the line of scrimmage. He was lost for the season.

The Packers figure Woodson can team with Al Harris to form a solid cornerback tandem, while also stepping out into a safety or slot position to cover up newly signed safety Marquand Manuel's coverage liabilities. Woodson would be a major upgrade over starter Ahmad Carroll, whose job would have been challenged even if the Raiders veteran is added.

http://www.jsonline.com

At the above number this would be insane. I suspect, however, that the real number is much less. Probably really a three or four year deal with yearly totals closer to 4 million rather than 7.5 million each of 7 years. It would not surprise me to see years 5, 6, and 7 at 10 or 11 million.
Agreed. More likely it's a 3 year deal at $5-6M per year. Which is still too much for Woodson, but hey, the Pack's D is awful.

I'm not sure why it took him so long to decide between Green Bay and Tampa Bay...... was there ever really a belief he would wind up in Tampa?

All the Free Agents they could have signed...or gotten a QB for the future since Favre is on his last legs...and you go and blow $50 million on a CB that is a shell of what he was once up and coming to be...way to go Green Bay...oh this is sad...however since I don't root for them it's not tragic.

All the Free Agents they could have signed...or gotten a QB for the future since Favre is on his last legs...and you go and blow $50 million on a CB that is a shell of what he was once up and coming to be...way to go Green Bay...oh this is sad...however since I don't root for them it's not tragic.
Highly doubtful that $50 mil is guaranteed.

The contract is a seven-year deal worth $52 million, ESPN.com's Michael Smith reports. Woodson will make $10.5 million in the first year of the deal and $18 million over the first three years. Woodson will also receive a $3 million bonus if he is selected to the Pro Bowl in two of the first three years of the contract.

The contract is a seven-year deal worth $52 million, ESPN.com's Michael Smith reports. Woodson will make $10.5 million in the first year of the deal and $18 million over the first three years. Woodson will also receive a $3 million bonus if he is selected to the Pro Bowl in two of the first three years of the contract.
so 3 years $18 million?moving ahmad carroll to nickle back might allow him to slowly turn around his career and this takes one of the main areas of concern off the packers "need" board during the draft this weekend

Only 1 season in the last 5 with more than one pick?

Seems to me Woodson would be a much better cog in the wheel (Tampa) than savior (GB).

Only 1 season in the last 5 with more than one pick?

Seems to me Woodson would be a much better cog in the wheel (Tampa) than savior (GB).
he's anything but a savior in green bay. the packers had a real need in the secondary, but woodson fillsthat needthe corner opposite woodson is al harris...he was arguably one of the best CB's in the NFC last season and give green bay one of the best starting CB tandems in the conference. of course, this assumes that charles woodson has some gas left in that tank

Woodson is guaranteed 10.5 million the first year...I hope his agent had a mask on when he committed this crime.

Woodson is guaranteed 10.5 million the first year...I hope his agent had a mask on when he committed this crime.
Kinda funny how they offer this to Woodson and let Walker sit at what he is at. LOL I love it. A slap in the face for Javon.

Are some of you forgetting that GB was ranked #1 against the pass last year for most of the season? . . .I don't think "savior" should be the word. . .I say that they are looking for a "leader" after losing Sharper.

Kinda funny how they offer this to Woodson and let Walker sit at what he is at. LOL I love it. A slap in the face for Javon.
Walker's deal was also big up-front and then he #####ed at the end that the last 2 years of his deal were too small. although he said nothing the first 2 years. So I do not see how you can relate this to the Walker situation as they are 2 different scenerios.

Are some of you forgetting that GB was ranked #1 against the pass last year for most of the season? . . .I don't think "savior" should be the word. . .I say that they are looking for a "leader" after losing Sharper.
Not to bust nads but when has Woodson ever been considered a leader?

Never really has been, but he's a vetran player. . . .which they are a bit short of. Some one needs to step up and take the role.

Never really has been, but he's a vetran player. . . .which they are a bit short of. Some one needs to step up and take the role.
Don't disagree but that really doesn't fit Woodson's profile.

Don't disagree but that really doesn't fit Woodson's profile.

Is there another player on that Def that does?

What does that have to do with the fact that Woodson has never been considered a leader?

What does that have to do with the fact that Woodson has never been considered a leader?
I'm not saying he ever has been. . .I'm saying he has the opportunity to take that roll. Harris didn't seem to fall into it, and after that, the rest of the secondary is pretty fresh. . .who knows, this could push Harris into that roll depending on his performance. The point is, that if Woodson can come in and become a playmaker, he by default becomes a "leader" on that def just from an enery point of view. Obviously Favre is the "Leader" of the team, which is the most important part of Favre coming back. Now, getting some vetrans on the other side of the ball will help the team from a sense of a comfort level. And I think Woodson could help fill that gap. . . .for the same reason it would have been helpfull if Arrington would have signed.

I'm not saying he ever has been. . .I'm saying he has the opportunity to take that roll. Harris didn't seem to fall into it, and after that, the rest of the secondary is pretty fresh. . .who knows, this could push Harris into that roll depending on his performance. The point is, that if Woodson can come in and become a playmaker, he by default becomes a "leader" on that def just from an enery point of view. Obviously Favre is the "Leader" of the team, which is the most important part of Favre coming back. Now, getting some vetrans on the other side of the ball will help the team from a sense of a comfort level. And I think Woodson could help fill that gap. . . .for the same reason it would have been helpfull if Arrington would have signed.
There's a big difference between being a playmaker and being a leader. If all it took to be a leader was making plays than TO would be the Abraham Lincoln of the NFL. Yet, there's far more to leadership than making big plays on the field.Woodson has been playing on past reputation the past few years but maybe a change of scenery will reenergize him. I'm not a fan of the money being spent here but Green Bay does need some playmakers so they are willing to roll the dice. Yet, Woodson has never been a leader in the past and it would be out of character for him to become one now.

It's nice to see he has some incentive to perform well in his first three years. Still a lot of money for a guy who has been underachieving, but it will be nice to see Carroll moved elsewhere.

I'll have to take the wait and see approach on this one, but I am becoming fairly optomistic about Green Bay defense, especially if they draft Hawk or Mario.

http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9399253

Green Bay reached an agreement with Pro Bowl cornerback Charles Woodson on one Wednesday, a seven-year, $52 million contract that will pay out $10.5 million in the first year and $18 million over the first three years.

Edit: Honda. :unsure:

PFT is reporting that he got no signing bonus that the 10.5 million is all in base salary for the 06 season. With 30 mil under the cap for this year (prior to this signing) that is a great deal for the pack. If he doesnt work out they can cut him after this season with zero cap hit. It also should make his cap number for the second and third season of the deal pretty palatable. I personally cant stand Woodson but it sure looks like the packers made the safest deal they could with him.

Reports are that there is ZERO signing bonus. As has been talked about ad nauseum, the Packers had a ton of cap room this year. The 10.5mil in the first year is base and roster bonus.

This is essentially a 3yr deal for $18 million and they can cut ties at any time with no accelerated cap hit.

PFT is reporting that he got no signing bonus that the 10.5 million is all in base salary for the 06 season. With 30 mil under the cap for this year (prior to this signing) that is a great deal for the pack. If he doesnt work out they can cut him after this season with zero cap hit. It also should make his cap number for the second and third season of the deal pretty palatable. I personally cant stand Woodson but it sure looks like the packers made the safest deal they could with him.
We're also told that, although the deal is being characterized as a seven-year, $52 million arrangement, it is as a practical matter a three-year, $18 million package.

He led the mutiny against Callahan in Oakland...... not that you're looking for that kind of leadership.

I will say in his defense that when healthy he's still been a very good corner in Oakland, but for $10M + it wasn't worth a part-time player. Glass Joe was more durable than this guy. He played through pain, but his bones are made of fine china.

No, no, no. I was assured by GB fans that the Packers would never do anything just because Favre was coming back for one last year. They would NEVER think of signing a crippled overated vet to a a contract that basically equals a one year $10M trial contract. Nope, it would never happen.On a less sarcastic note, frankly I'm stunned that Woodson was able to sit in the FA waters for that long and still get that kind of money. Major props to the Postons for hoodwinking the Packers. Yeah, I know, it's just basically a 3 year $18M deal with no signing bonus, blah, blah blah. But that doesn't change the fact that they'd be paying $6M a year for a guy that can't stay healthy and has looked below average even when he is. If you're going to spend a bunch of cash on a guy coming off of an injury, they should have spent it on Javon Walker.

I just can't understand this contract for a guy that sat for months without even a nibble in FA. I think that the Pack got swindled and could have had Woodson for a whole lot cheaper than they got him.

Yes the Pack had a lot of cap room and yes the deal seems to give the Pack great flexibility in the future if he doesn't pan out, but it just seems like the Packers sat on their hands for too long in FA and were left sitting there with too much unused cap space. They then panicked and when Favre told them he'd be back they tossed a bunch of money up front to Woodson in the hopes of putting together one last run. Contrary to what a lot of Packers fans said, I think that GB did indeed delay their rebuilding one more season because of Favre. That team team did virtually nothing to make themselves better long term this offseason even though they had tons of cap money to spend.

What a waste of money. They could have spent that money on a position that needs a little work.....hmmmm......a RB might help the team this year. Is Woodson going to bring the D up to snuff? I seriously doubt it. :X

Great addition. I would suspect GB moves Woodson to FS, which would pretty much lock down a pretty underrated & solid secondary. now that the refs have apparently decided that they don't need to call PI on Carroll every time he makes a mean face at a WR.

No, no, no. I was assured by GB fans that the Packers would never do anything just because Favre was coming back for one last year. They would NEVER think of signing a crippled overated vet to a a contract that basically equals a one year $10M trial contract. Nope, it would never happen.On a less sarcastic note, frankly I'm stunned that Woodson was able to sit in the FA waters for that long and still get that kind of money. Major props to the Postons for hoodwinking the Packers. Yeah, I know, it's just basically a 3 year $18M deal with no signing bonus, blah, blah blah. But that doesn't change the fact that they'd be paying $6M a year for a guy that can't stay healthy and has looked below average even when he is. If you're going to spend a bunch of cash on a guy coming off of an injury, they should have spent it on Javon Walker.

I just can't understand this contract for a guy that sat for months without even a nibble in FA. I think that the Pack got swindled and could have had Woodson for a whole lot cheaper than they got him.

Yes the Pack had a lot of cap room and yes the deal seems to give the Pack great flexibility in the future if he doesn't pan out, but it just seems like the Packers sat on their hands for too long in FA and were left sitting there with too much unused cap space. They then panicked and when Favre told them he'd be back they tossed a bunch of money up front to Woodson in the hopes of putting together one last run. Contrary to what a lot of Packers fans said, I think that GB did indeed delay their rebuilding one more season because of Favre. That team team did virtually nothing to make themselves better long term this offseason even though they had tons of cap money to spend.
Isn't it pretty much a football maxim that you can't predict injuries? Or does that just apply to offense?

I don't get the vitriol for this deal. Sure, the Packers are overpaying him this year. But, they have the cap money and there's no one else to spend it on. Walker has said he would not re-sign with them, so the money couldn't even have gone to him.

And once you take out year 1, years 2 and 3 are for a total of $8 million. If he's anywhere near the player he was, that's not a bad deal at all.

You people act like they had anywhere better to put that money. If they hadn't spent it on Woodson, they would have just ended up well under the cap this year.

Big risk, big reward. The Packer hate in here is strong.

So, Favre decides to return, the pack signs Woodson the next day.

Seems related. ;)

There's talk that Woodson would switch to safety, but GB just signed Manuel. Would he switch, and bump MM to the bench, or is that a long term plan?

Users who are viewing this thread