What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (8 Viewers)

Not fleeced....you said worst move in team history.

Trading a late 4th round pick for a potential starting QB who's won a SB...
Worst movie ever was dramatic.  But he most definitely got fleeced. It's not about them maybe getting a starter. The Bears gave up a high pick for a guy a team was trying to get rid of. He got fleeced. He's a mark by the league. Make no mistake 

And I defended Pace moving up to get his qb at #2. 
I applaud you for admitting that. The truth is nobody knows until they know. If it had worked out everyone would be praising him. It clearly didn't and he looks like a fool for not only trading up one spot to take Mitch but passing on Patrick/Deshaun. He was aggressive because he had to have his guy and I respect that. It just didn't work out unfortunately. The Bears roster is talented enough to win, just need to solve that almighty position. 

Pace has totally bungled the qb position. Glennon, Trubisky. Now Foles.  But I think he's screwed up at TE even worse.  The disturbing trend I'm starting to see from Pace is that he doesn't appear to be learning from his mistakes. Could be gone after this year. 

The O Line is the most important thing for them to address and so far they haven't done squat.  It doesn't matter who they sign on offense because they can't block anyone. Long was a shell of himself last year because of injuries and the rest of the line seemed to fall apart. I think Daniels was their only consistent O lineman last season. If Pace doesn't address this soon through both the draft and free agency than should be fired. 

flapgreen said:
Worst movie ever was dramatic.  But he most definitely got fleeced. It's not about them maybe getting a starter. The Bears gave up a high pick for a guy a team was trying to get rid of. He got fleeced. He's a mark by the league. Make no mistake 
The Bengals wanted a 2nd for Dalton....Chicago gave up a late 4th(compensatory picks are at the end) for Foles...and he costs $15 million this year.

Chicago spent a 4th on Riley Ridley last year.....I've easily give up that guy for Foles.

flapgreen said:
Pace has totally bungled the qb position. Glennon, Trubisky. Now Foles.  But I think he's screwed up at TE even worse.  The disturbing trend I'm starting to see from Pace is that he doesn't appear to be learning from his mistakes. Could be gone after this year. 
Does Pace coach, develop and utilize the players?

The Bengals wanted a 2nd for Dalton....Chicago gave up a late 4th(compensatory picks are at the end) for Foles...and he costs $15 million this year.

Chicago spent a 4th on Riley Ridley last year.....I've easily give up that guy for Foles.
None of that has anything to do with Pace giving up far more than was necessary for the guy he wanted. He's terrible at being disciplined. The rest of the league sees it. 

Does Pace coach, develop and utilize the players?
Pace is the GM. The success or failure of the team falls on him. So far, he's failed.  But it's the Bears so I'm sure they're stoked with mediocrity. This is coming from a fan who's been a Pace supporter through years of mostly losing. I'm done with him now. I've seen enough. 

Pace paid freaking Jimmy Graham almost the same as Emmanuel Sanders just got. We really could've used Sanders as a speed guy. But nope, he continues to throw resources at positions he's blown it at and thinks that's how you fix it. 

None of that has anything to do with Pace giving up far more than was necessary for the guy he wanted. He's terrible at being disciplined. The rest of the league sees it. 
(Discipline) Yet, you're a model of emotional stability. lol

You don't know the offers from other clubs. But we do know that Cinci was asking a 2 for Dalton....That means Foles was cheaper in contract and draft picks.

Pace is the GM. The success or failure of the team falls on him. So far, he's failed.  But it's the Bears so I'm sure they're stoked with mediocrity. This is coming from a fan who's been a Pace supporter through years of mostly losing. I'm done with him now. I've seen enough. 
The GM holds the success and failure of an entire team?

You can shop for all the right groceries and then not cook them right....let them rot....not let them get ripe...etc.

You're so fing dramatic

(Discipline) Yet, you're a model of emotional stability. lol

You don't know the offers from other clubs. But we do know that Cinci was asking a 2 for Dalton....That means Foles was cheaper in contract and draft picks.
You're comparing meatheads discussing football on the internet to a guy making millions running one of the most valuable organizations in the country.  What does what the Bengals supposed asking price of their backup qb have to do with what Pace gave up for the Jags backup qb who they wanted to get rid of? This is a totally irrational discussion.  It was just another example of Pace giving up too much for a player when he had all the leverage.  Still multiple qbs available that would serve the same purpose as Foles. Pace jumped the gun again and got handled.  Most of these GMs study each other. They know who they can get over on and who they can't. It's not hard to see that. 

The GM holds the success and failure of an entire team?

You can shop for all the right groceries and then not cook them right....let them rot....not let them get ripe...etc.

You're so fing dramatic
Here we go with the dramatic thing.  It's an internet forum, guy. That's how it works. Good luck selling Pace keeping his job by blaming the people he signed and hired. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Here we go with the dramatic thing.  It's an internet forum, guy. That's how it works. Good luck selling Pace keeping his job by blaming the people he signed and hired. 
I've seen your posts on here and Twitter....it's all the same thing. Yelling, swearing, condescending....congratulations, you're making the world a worse place.

Pace doesn't develop the talent....all GM's are right and wrong. Remember the Cameron Meredith situation and how he botched that....oh wait. How about Bryce Callahan?

I don’t like the move but I wouldn’t go that far. Foles has had some performances in high pressure spots than Keenum could never dream of having. I do like that the guy has ice water in his veins. Just thinking of him going down the field on our vaunted D in that playoff game two years ago....impressive. 
This. He excelled in very similar situations that Keenum folded. 

Ryan Pace does one thing very well. Each off-season, he attacks the biggest weakness. He doesn't sit on his hands.

2020:

QB Nick Foles

2019:

-offensive weapons and kicking situation. Enter Montgomery, Mike Davis, Patterson, Ridley. Got rid of a cancer kicker for the locker room and tried out many many kickers. I'd also say he did a fine job replacing Amos/Callahan with HHCD/Skrine. It was a downgrade, but much cheaper.

2018: 

Playmakers. Enter Khalil Mack, Allen Robinson, Anthony Miller, Trey Burton, Taylor Gabriel.

The O Line is the most important thing for them to address and so far they haven't done squat.  It doesn't matter who they sign on offense because they can't block anyone. Long was a shell of himself last year because of injuries and the rest of the line seemed to fall apart. I think Daniels was their only consistent O lineman last season. If Pace doesn't address this soon through both the draft and free agency than should be fired. 
This has been my biggest disappointment of the off-season. They need to bring in a few vet OL, even if the plan is to address OL in the draft.

Bears sign OLB/Special Teamer Barkevious Mingo to a one year contract. 

He played for Pagano on the Colts, former #6 overall pick from LSU. 

Didn't see the terms but if he came cheap its an interesting pick up. Quality STer that adds depth on a D-line that could be remarkable. 

Bears sign OLB/Special Teamer Barkevious Mingo to a one year contract. 

He played for Pagano on the Colts, former #6 overall pick from LSU. 

Didn't see the terms but if he came cheap its an interesting pick up. Quality STer that adds depth on a D-line that could be remarkable. 
I'd argue that the main purpose of Artie Burns and Barkevious Mingo is to play special teams.

Mingo's deal is 1 year for 1.187 million with .887k guaranteed. He played 75% of special team snaps last season.

The Jordan Lucas signing is growing on me....I might not mind him starting opposite Eddie.

I'd argue that the main purpose of Artie Burns and Barkevious Mingo is to play special teams.

Mingo's deal is 1 year for 1.187 million with .887k guaranteed. He played 75% of special team snaps last season.

The Jordan Lucas signing is growing on me....I might not mind him starting opposite Eddie.
Defense is looking scary again, but all revolves around Mack coming back to life. 

Defense is looking scary again, but all revolves around Mack coming back to life. 
Burns, Lucas, Quinn, Mingo all are high end athletes at their positions. Maybe that's the new direction of the defense...also maybe why they chose Danny T over Nick K.

We never were going to address the OL besides signing a Guard and a draft pick.  All those mediocre guys on the line are signed to contracts that make them pretty impossible to replace this year.  I think we can look to replace Leno next year.

millertyme1 said:
Love when someone says Foles lacks upside. 

He won the Super Bowl and Super Bowl MVP 2 years ago :lol:   
He had a magical eight games. The rest of the time he has been a solid back up QB. That is who he is. Last year he couldn’t beat out the sixth round rookie. He has had his opportunities to start, and other than that magical period in 2018, he has not been very good. 

Ifedi on a one-year deal. Gross

The guards available at #43 and #50 are not great. Muti is the highest upside guy but a huge injury risk (Achilles and Lisfranc already). With Leno/Massie contracts, doubt we take a tackle.

Maybe grab best available CB or safety, and trade down with one of those picks.

We never were going to address the OL besides signing a Guard and a draft pick.  All those mediocre guys on the line are signed to contracts that make them pretty impossible to replace this year.  I think we can look to replace Leno next year.
To me this is just plain stupid! I would rather they used the money they used to sign Graham.  While TE is a big need (I hate the Graham signing) nothing happens on offense without a competent O line. If they weren't going to throw big money at Austin Hooper than they should have waited. Heck I would rather have a 40 year old Jason Witten than Graham and they could have saved a ton of money. Graham must have pictures that he is using to blackmail Ryan Pace from his days with the Saints because I think they paid about $10 million more than any other NFL team would have.

There should be some bargain O linemen that they can bring in to compete now that most of the big names have signed. 

He had a magical eight games. The rest of the time he has been a solid back up QB. That is who he is. Last year he couldn’t beat out the sixth round rookie. He has had his opportunities to start, and other than that magical period in 2018, he has not been very good. 
Is this really what happened? Foles only played in 4 games last year, He got hurt right away in week 1 and while I don't remember the games, stats were fine in week 11 and 12. He got benched in week 13 because the season was lost and they wanted to evaluate Minshew. 

I think there is a narrative that he was bad with the Jags. The Jags were a bad team and he barely played. They signed him to a bad contract. I agree that solid back up is probably who he is, but I don't think we learned anything from last year. 

Foles was worse than Minshew last year according to every summary number that I've seen (DVOA, QBR, PFF grade, ANY/A, etc.), late in the season when they were both healthy the Jags chose to start Minshew over Foles, and this offseason they chose to keep Minshew and trade away Foles. I think that counts as Foles getting beat out by Minshew.

Foles was worse than Minshew last year according to every summary number that I've seen (DVOA, QBR, PFF grade, ANY/A, etc.), late in the season when they were both healthy the Jags chose to start Minshew over Foles, and this offseason they chose to keep Minshew and trade away Foles. I think that counts as Foles getting beat out by Minshew.
how many games did Foles even play last year, like 2.5?

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/26/free-agency-grading-chicago-bears-signing-offensive-lineman-germain-ifedi/
I missed that the Bears signed an offensive lineman last week. Germain Ifedi at least was a starter for the Seahawks who could compete. I don't really remember Ifedi when I watched the Seahawks but he appears to be one of the most penalized players so I probably so him flagged a few times.  I will call this a good signing because he was cheap and fills an immediate need as either a  starter or a backup.  He should be motivated because the deal is only for 1 year.   Ifedi pretty much started every game since he was drafted so he at least he was probably better than the other crap Seattle had behind him and they could at least run the ball well. Can you really consider a late round 4 year starter a bust like the article says or is he just a disappointment because he hasn't been great (Just trying to find a reason for optimism :)  )?  At least we signed Ponce De Leon (Jimmy Graham). 

The Foles trade looks much better now that the numbers are in. Bears didn't take on much at all. Very cheap. 

2020: $4 million base salary, $4 million signing bonus.

2021: $4 million base salary, $4 million roster bonus.

2022: $4 million base salary, $4 million roster bonus.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/26/free-agency-grading-chicago-bears-signing-offensive-lineman-germain-ifedi/
I missed that the Bears signed an offensive lineman last week. Germain Ifedi at least was a starter for the Seahawks who could compete. I don't really remember Ifedi when I watched the Seahawks but he appears to be one of the most penalized players so I probably so him flagged a few times.  I will call this a good signing because he was cheap and fills an immediate need as either a  starter or a backup.  He should be motivated because the deal is only for 1 year.   Ifedi pretty much started every game since he was drafted so he at least he was probably better than the other crap Seattle had behind him and they could at least run the ball well. Can you really consider a late round 4 year starter a bust like the article says or is he just a disappointment because he hasn't been great (Just trying to find a reason for optimism :)  )?  At least we signed Ponce De Leon (Jimmy Graham). 
Well what is the right side right now?  I can’t remember who finished up at RG. Are we still dealing with Massie at RT?  We need a whole new right side. 

Ok that’s fair. Why was he replaced by the rookie?
The season was over and they liked Minshew enough to want to see more. Currently the Jags have the lowest cap hit in the NFL at the QB position. If Minshew is even serviceable, they are sitting pretty. The Bears had the opposite problem.

I don't get it. I thought he threw a TD pass in the Super Bowl. 
I'm actually surprised by this release. I thought they might go 2-TE heavy with Burton and Graham. Oh well, any time you can cut a decent player, because you just signed an expensive, much crappier one, you've got to do it.

Burton is probably a great sneaky signing for a team as a #2 TE, or a #1 on a team with a loaded WR group. Basically somewhere where he isn't a top-3 target. Health was bigger issue than talent in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stories coming out that Tagovailoa is dropping significantly and off several boards entirely already. IF, and I doubt it happens, he drops to the second round, should the Bears consider him?

Users who are viewing this thread