What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (11 Viewers)

I see this off-season as cap reconciliation, removal of dead weight guys and prepping for 2023.  The previous establishment tried to build a contender out of a very mediocre team and some of the current contracts show that. I think Poles is working towards having a contender built by the time Fields hits the end of his rookie contract. 
I’m sure you are right, but it’s really not much fun as a fan. 😂

Man flap, the guy hasn't made a single pick as GM yet and you're already being negative. What would you have like for him to do? It almost seems as you are willing every Bears FO to blow it. It's not as if the Bears we're going to be highly competitive this year. You're smarter than that. Give the guy at least two off seasons before you skewer him.

Man flap, the guy hasn't made a single pick as GM yet and you're already being negative. What would you have like for him to do? It almost seems as you are willing every Bears FO to blow it. It's not as if the Bears we're going to be highly competitive this year. You're smarter than that. Give the guy at least two off seasons before you skewer him.
His first off-season has been a joke. The offensive side of the ball actually got worse around his 2nd year qb. He's done practically nothing. Nothing could be done about not having a first round pick tonight, but the last 3 months is a different story. It seriously looks like he's trying to intentionally tank. 

flapgreen said:
His first off-season has been a joke. The offensive side of the ball actually got worse around his 2nd year qb. He's done practically nothing. Nothing could be done about not having a first round pick tonight, but the last 3 months is a different story. It seriously looks like he's trying to intentionally tank. 
I don’t think he’s trying to tank but I think he’s trying to be prudent and set us up to make a bigger splash next year. They weren’t going to win this year anyway and spending big money on nobody’s only hurts us next year. FA isn’t over yet either. There might still be some signings after the draft. Personally I’d like to see Julio Jones here for a few years to help coach up the WRs and Fields. 

I don’t think he’s trying to tank but I think he’s trying to be prudent and set us up to make a bigger splash next year. They weren’t going to win this year anyway and spending big money on nobody’s only hurts us next year. FA isn’t over yet either. There might still be some signings after the draft. Personally I’d like to see Julio Jones here for a few years to help coach up the WRs and Fields. 
I think he could've been much more effective without sacrificing for the future in this off-season. The offensive talent has actually gotten even worse. No idea what they're planning on doing on offense, but they have no players to carry any type of plan out with. Hopefully, they'll make some big moves tonight. 

Tried and true strategy throughout history for the Bears. Build a solid defense and let your qb get murdered. Works every time. 

Nothing better than taking a 25 year old receiver with your first offensive pick. Killing it, fellas. Next stop, Super Bowl! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing better than taking a 25 year old receiver with your first offensive pick. Killing it, fellas. Next stop, Super Bowl! 

Cooper Kupp was 24 in his rookie season.

Jones would be age 29 at the start of his second contract.  There's nothing bad about that.

If we're worried about a third contract....then he's a great success.

Yes.

The narrative among non football people is that Jones was overdrafted. Ok, let's say that's true.

If he's so unlikely to be successful then, what does it matter what his age is?
Narrative among non football people? Huuuh. He's a gadget player who they reached on who is also older and is a terrible route runner that did very little in college. What's hard to understand about that? He has nothing in common with Cupp, except age. 

I'm not completely against this move. The Bears really aren't risking much. It's a 7th rounder in two years. If he busts here too, oh well, no biggie.

I also still wouldn't mind them bringing in Julio Jones. He's not the same player he used to be but would be a good influence on these young WRs.

I'm not completely against this move. The Bears really aren't risking much. It's a 7th rounder in two years. If he busts here too, oh well, no biggie.

I also still wouldn't mind them bringing in Julio Jones. He's not the same player he used to be but would be a good influence on these young WRs.
I've kinda thought Julio being unsigned is because Julio still wants WR1 money, but along the same idea, I think a guy like Emmanuel Sanders might make some sense. Maybe TY Hilton with the Eberflus connection?

Entering 2022, of the 32 projected starting QB's, 23 remain with their team from last year.  Sadly, Justin leads this group in 2 categories - INT% and sack%.  Everything I have read suggests CHI has one of, if not the, worst OL in the NFL.  I know rookie QB's go through growing pains, and I am fine with a rookie starting from day one, but give the guy some help, will ya?

I think Harry is crap but I'm 100% with you on this.  A 7th is a fine gamble for a former first round pick still on his rookie contract when you've got next to nothing at the position.

Harry and Byron Pringle both rate highly in run blocking.  I think the writing is on the wall that Eberflus is going run focus this season.  Protect Fields, give him a few looks, and lean on the run game to produce quality yardage.  If any of the WR corps aside from Mooney shows out, then it's a win/win.

We going to lose Roquan now? Not sure he's the best OLB in the league, but probably the best player on the team. I'm sure money will fix all this just like it did with Briggs and his tag holdout, but always drama.

We going to lose Roquan now? Not sure he's the best OLB in the league, but probably the best player on the team. I'm sure money will fix all this just like it did with Briggs and his tag holdout, but always drama.
Losing Roquan would suck because they are really thin at LB and he is their best by far and he is young and talented.

The only way the Bears sniff .500 is if Justin Fields makes a huge step forward and becomes a top 10 real world quarterback this season (and monkeys may fly....). This is definitely a rebuilding year. At least I think the O line will be improved a little bit but they are very short on talent. If none of the other WRs step up it will be easy for other teams to take Mooney out of the game.

Claypool and Devin Bush and a 3rd for Smith? IF you are going to lose him regardless after this year, might as well get something for him, right? IDK if Steelers could afford to sign Smith, already spending a ton on defense.
Claypool is under contract thru next year, and wont break the bank to resign him, Bush is FA after this year but wont require a lot of money to sign either.
Claypool, Mooney, Monty, Kmet and Fields is a nice offense.

Speaking of Kmet, what are Bears fans expecting from him with Fields? 60+ recs? 700 yards? Any TDs?

No Bears love here? I did not expect them to have a winning record at any point this season and they have already proved me wrong. Any wins from here on out are just icing on the cake so I already consider this a successful season for the new regime :)

I came in here to post about Dominique Robison. Five tackles and 1 1/2 sacks? Sign this IDP guy up for his performances into the future. I stashed him a two weeks ago thanks to reporting by The Athletic, and he apparently rooked out and looked like Midway Monster yesterday in the rain.

I'm giddy that I might have found a fifth-round gem undrafted in my league. Yeeha! Maybe? What do you fine citizens of the Bears thread think?

I love the discipline and culture Eberflus has instilled. Ii is my kind of football. My favorite stat of the game was how they only had 3 penalties. That in itself was an improvement over last year's regime. It was awesome to get an unexpected win yesterday and it's nice to finally be ahead of GB in the standings. Even if it is only for one week. I do now forgive Poles for picking Brisker as that guy is going to be a stud. Not that we didn't need a safety I just thought other positions should have been addressed first but I like the way that pick is going. The biggest concern I have is the OL and we will not get a feel on how that is going until we see them play on dry land.

No Bears love here? I did not expect them to have a winning record at any point this season and they have already proved me wrong. Any wins from here on out are just icing on the cake so I already consider this a successful season for the new regime :)
. 500 would be a massive success this season. As was already stated, it was great seeing a disciplined team and one able to make adjustments at the half. Looking good so far and will have the most cap space in the league going into next season to build with.

I was not expecting to celebrate a win so soon so that was great. My biggest takeaway is how surprised I was by how fast and aggressive the D played. It reminded me of watching the first game of the Lovie era and how big a difference it was from the previous unit. Everybody darting to the ball on every play. Love that. Let's hope it wasn't just the weather.

The oddest thing was the difference in the blocking when Herbert was in compared to Mont. I think both guys are very good and Herbert def provides a bit more pop but Montgomery was swallowed alive every time he touched the ball. Then Herbert gets it and we see some holes. I know they were juggling the line all game. I wonder if there is a correlation there.

You'd think this franchise would get tired of being embarrassed by what is supposed to be their biggest rival, but they just don't care. Keep raking in the money. Who needs any self-respect? Owners obviously don't care. Players definitely don't. Collect that paycheck and head to the house.

One of the all time chicken **** playcalls on 4th and inches. Line up in shotgun and send your QB up the middle to look for a crease. Pathetic. That's a team that's soft and doesn't deserve to win.

Maybe Poles knew Fields wasn't the guy, so he decided not to help him out much with good players. Hoping Poles doesn't ride him out just because he was drafted high previously, if he isn't the guy.

Been posting here for almost 20 years and you can go back through my post history and see this same damn post 5 or 6 times.

Pretty obvious in my opinion that the current QB is not the answer. And in a year when they should be trying to get in position to grab what looks like 2 or 3 franchise changing QBs in the coming draft, the Bears will win a few too many meaningless games just like they did today to miss out on all of them.

It's the same damn story with this crap franchise. I'm sure I'll be dead before it ever changes.

With that being said, they sure know how to pick RBs. Not that they really matter much anymore. Sorry for venting, see y'all in 4 years when the story repeats itself again.

Been posting here for almost 20 years and you can go back through my post history and see this same damn post 5 or 6 times.

Pretty obvious in my opinion that the current QB is not the answer. And in a year when they should be trying to get in position to grab what looks like 2 or 3 franchise changing QBs in the coming draft, the Bears will win a few too many meaningless games just like they did today to miss out on all of them.

It's the same damn story with this crap franchise. I'm sure I'll be dead before it ever changes.

With that being said, they sure know how to pick RBs. Not that they really matter much anymore. Sorry for venting, see y'all in 4 years when the story repeats itself again.
I’ve seen this act since 1971 - from college stars like Bobby Douglass and Gary Huff to Justin Fields. Three games in and can’t average 100 yards passing/game.

Amen!

Herbert just sealed the deal that we won't extend Monty in the off-season.

Herbert just sealed the deal that we won't extend Monty in the off-season.
Herbert is really good

Users who are viewing this thread