What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chili and Cinnamon Roll? Midwest Thing? (1 Viewer)

I am from Wyoming and do not remember that combination of food being served.

From the article:
Across the Heartland, most notably Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Iowa, and Colorado
I'm from Cheyenne and cinnamon rolls with chili was absolutely a staple growing up. It was the only good food they had for school lunches - no one brought bagged lunch on chili day.

Yes, chili and cinnamon rolls were part of the same school lunch growing up (rural SW Wisconsin). I haven't thought about that combination since then. Our school lunches were mostly pretty good.

Thanks. A lot of the replies I'm getting on it are related to school lunches and church event stuff. Seems to be a nostalgia thing for lots of people.

I was just interested as I'd never heard of it.
definitely, for me. When my wife is trying to get on my good side, she will make cinnamon rolls with chili at home, because she knows how much I enjoy it. She thinks it's weird. I don't care. I love it.

From the article:
Across the Heartland, most notably Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Iowa, and Colorado
I'm from Cheyenne and cinnamon rolls with chili was absolutely a staple growing up. It was the only good food they had for school lunches - no one brought bagged lunch on chili day.
Do you literally mix them (dip roll into the chili) for the same bite?

From the article:
Never heard of this during my days in Laramie.

I love regional food.

Read this today chili and cinnamon roll. https://www.eater.com/23439374/cinnamon-rolls-chili-heartland-midwest-school-lunch

Legit?
Growing up in Nebraska, school lunch chili was always served with a cinnamon roll. I've eaten Chili with them my entire life. It is definitely a thing and it's glorious. You can find that combo on menus in Nebraska restaurants, including the aforementioned fast food chain Runza.
Yes, the cinnamon roll is commonly dipped in the chili. I like the flavors together enough that I actually include a pinch of cinnamon when making chili (along with the obvious dark chocolate).

I now live in MN and it is not a thing here in Southern Canada.
What part of Nebraska, and what is your age? I'm 53 and grew up in northeast Nebraska. I don't remember ever having this for school lunches, but that's been a while ago.

I think I'm going to have Runza chili for lunch. :)

From the article:
I'm sure some people did. I don't recall there being a right and a wrong way to do it.

One of my personality quirks - I always finish one food before going on to the next. I don't mix foods when I eat, so dipping isn't something I would do. I can't speak for everyone.

From the article:
LHS?

From the article:
I'm sure some people did. I don't recall there being a right and a wrong way to do it.

One of my personality quirks - I always finish one food before going on to the next. I don't mix foods when I eat, so dipping isn't something I would do. I can't speak for everyone.
My Mom is like this. Growing up, she would always eat all her fries, before she moved on to the Burger. So you're not the only one.

From the article:
I'm pretty sure the roll or a piece is broken off and dipped.

Like a grilled cheese sandwich dipped in tomato soup.

From the article:
I'm pretty sure the roll or a piece is broken off and dipped.

Like a grilled cheese sandwich dipped in tomato soup.
So good.

From the article:
LHS?

I know your asking Osaurus, but I went to Sheridan High School, but I lived in Powell, Gillette, and even Basin, Wyoming.

You are much closer to Nebraska down there with your weird Cheyenne traditions it sounds like.

I'm still seeking clarification on this. Does one dip the cinnamon roll in the chili ala saltine crackers in soup? Or is it just kind of like a pairing thing such as friend chicken and waffles where they came together but you don't mix them in a single bite (at least that's how I do my chicken and waffles)?

Talks about this in the article in the OP https://www.eater.com/23439374/cinnamon-rolls-chili-heartland-midwest-school-lunch

How to eat it​

Even among those who agree that chili and cinnamon rolls work in concert, there’s still contention over how exactly they should be consumed. “It’s a very divisive topic whether you eat them separately, like one after the other, or if you dip,” says Perrett. “That’s a conversation that you can have for a very long time with someone.” There are even those who like the chili served over the cinnamon roll, a hardcore approach.

“I love that everyone has their own ritual — it’s something we have in common but enjoy in our own unique ways,” says Heriford. “I’ve been known to dip, though I’m more of an alternator. But I have to end with a bite of cinnamon roll.”

Though Schneider thought the combination was a little out there when he first came to Kansas to work at Carriage Crossing, he gave it a chance — after all, he grew up with lunch ladies who paired chili with peanut butter sandwiches in St. Louis, and his staff think he’s “crazy” when he has it for lunch. He’s since “learned to embrace the chili and cinnamon roll combo,” even enjoying it occasionally himself. “I guess I am now a true Kansan.”

• Thanks
Reactions: Zow

From the article:
LHS?

I know your asking Osaurus, but I went to Sheridan High School, but I lived in Powell, Gillette, and even Basin, Wyoming.

You are much closer to Nebraska down there with your weird Cheyenne traditions it sounds like.
probably. I'm well aware that Cheyenne isn't quite full Wyoming, culturally. I mean, no one in my family owned a gun, horse, or truck. :shrug:

From the article:
LHS?

probably. I'm well aware that Cheyenne isn't quite full Wyoming, culturally. I mean, no one in my family owned a gun, horse, or truck. :shrug:

Cheyenne is much different than Basin or Powell, that is for sure although probably pretty similar to a Sheridan or Gillette in culture. Except we did not eat Chili and cinnamon rolls at school.

Did you do highschool sports? Around 40?

Wonder if we ever competed against each other.

i throw a jolly rancher in my chile now thanks to this place so i guess i will dump a whole uncooked tube of instant cinamaon rolls into my next batch as well and see how it goes take that to the bank brohans

From the article:
LHS?

Cheyenne is much different than Basin or Powell, that is for sure although probably pretty similar to a Sheridan or Gillette in culture. Except we did not eat Chili and cinnamon rolls at school.

I started at UWYO in 91. I lived across the street from LHS fwiw. Lived there 91-94 and then 2000-2005

From the article:
LHS?

I was EHS (go Thunderbirds!) class of '93. I played soccer (state champs, 1992), wrestling (state runner up, 1993), and cross country (participation trophy haha)

I started at UWYO in 91. I lived across the street from LHS fwiw.

All of my sibling's graduated from UW and my brother in law is a LHS grad in addition to being a UW grad, but probably do not know the same people due to age differences.

I was EHS (go Thunderbirds!) class of '93. I played soccer (state champs, 1992), wrestling (state runner up, 1993), and cross country (participation trophy haha)
We were a little to far apart in age to compete against each other, different sports too. I was football and track.

All of my sibling's graduated from UW and my brother in law is a LHS grad in addition to being a UW grad, but probably do not know the same people due to age differences.

We were a little to far apart in age to compete against each other, different sports too. I was football and track.
@Osaurus is a couple years ahead of me, but I doubt our paths crossed. I didn't go to UW - if I had, I would have been the 4th generation UW graduate. Also, the vast majority of my HS friends went to UW - that's why I went to college in NY.

What part of Nebraska, and what is your age? I'm 53 and grew up in northeast Nebraska. I don't remember ever having this for school lunches, but that's been a while ago.

I think I'm going to have Runza chili for lunch. :)
I grew up in Norfolk and Lincoln and I'm 51. I was too young to remember what went on in Norfolk but Lincoln is 100% a chili/cinnamon roll kind of town.
Speaking of Runza - Italian Runzas. I miss them so much.

@Osaurus is a couple years ahead of me, but I doubt our paths crossed. I didn't go to UW - if I had, I would have been the 4th generation UW graduate. Also, the vast majority of my HS friends went to UW - that's why I went to college in NY.
My first adventure was right out of high school at UWYO. Ended up going back to the Midwest and finished my first Bachelors after years of mostly snowboarding and partying . Came back later, got a second Bachelors and a Masters. Obviously I got my #### together.

Related to the school lunch thing, my school always served cornbread on taco days, and I love the combo. I posted about it in here once and @mr. furley acted like I was insane.
don't recall this but i stand by it.

CHECK THE LOGS, BRAH.
you will not believe what's in these things. wow.

i'm going to pare some of it down for public consumption and run it past my assistant @urbanhack before posting any follow up.

I'm still seeking clarification on this. Does one dip the cinnamon roll in the chili ala saltine crackers in soup? Or is it just kind of like a pairing thing such as friend chicken and waffles where they came together but you don't mix them in a single bite (at least that's how I do my chicken and waffles)?
The head line of the article is pretty clear they are talking dipping the roll into the chili.

The head line of the article is pretty clear they are talking dipping the roll into the chili.
Wait, we gotta read things now?

Related to the school lunch thing, my school always served cornbread on taco days, and I love the combo. I posted about it in here once and @mr. furley acted like I was insane.

CHECK THE LOGS, BRAH.
I side with Furley here.

I live in the southwest, taco/burrito capital of the world, and nobody serves cornbread. Cornbread belongs with chili/barbecue.
My daughter goes to school in New Mexico, and I have to say that the southwest very clearly wins the "best regional cuisine" award, at least for me. Midwestern fare makes for good comfort food, but it's all designed to appeal to Scandinavian and German immigrants who liked their meals bland and starchy.

• Love
Reactions: Zow
Slightly off-topic, but it's another example of a strange combo. There's a popular ice cream place on Ocean Drive in Miami Beach called Icy-N-Spicy that combines some spicy flavors from one co-owners Sichuan background in China with flavors from her husbands European background. They also have lots of non-spicy flavors.

:lol: The PSF (rest in non-peace) had nothing on a food thread on this message board. I mean, the "is a hot dog a sandwich?" thread may have been the most heated debate I've ever seen in any format.

I also love the sideboards like Wyoming Talk that arise.

CHECK THE LOGS, BRAH.
I side with Furley here.

I live in the southwest, taco/burrito capital of the world, and nobody serves cornbread. Cornbread belongs with chili/barbecue.
My daughter goes to school in New Mexico, and I have to say that the southwest very clearly wins the "best regional cuisine" award, at least for me. Midwestern fare makes for good comfort food, but it's all designed to appeal to Scandinavian and German immigrants who liked their meals bland and starchy.
My palate expanded significantly when I moved from the midwest to the AZ. Now, most midwestern food is far too bland for me. I want the flavor and spice varieties.

About the only "midwestern" food I still care for:
- fresh fish fry at a restaurant on a lake and the fish was caught like two hours earlier
- tater tot hot dish served in a rectory basement made by a >60 year old church lady (though I probably need to add some pepper and maybe some hot sauce from @Hot Sauce Guy )
- fresh cheese curds from WI, preferably mid-state - @SWC can take this to the bank for me
- elk filets and ground elk from a hunter
- MN state fair food (a once per year thing, not regularly)
- New Glarus Spotted Cow and/or Surly Furious to drink

Otherwise, give me southwestern food any day.

CHECK THE LOGS, BRAH.

i'm going to pare some of it down for public consumption and run it past my assistant @urbanhack before posting any follow up.
our school lunches always had chili paired with peanut butter sandwiches.

Thoughts?

CHECK THE LOGS, BRAH.

Thoughts?
i'm both intrigued and disgusted

who thinks of these things?

CHECK THE LOGS, BRAH.

Thoughts?

here.

CHECK THE LOGS, BRAH.

Thoughts?

here.
Yeah that's what I'm talking about in regards to killer tater tot hot dish.

I love regional food.

Read this today chili and cinnamon roll. https://www.eater.com/23439374/cinnamon-rolls-chili-heartland-midwest-school-lunch

Legit?
point of order: Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Iowa, and Colorado are not the midwest.
To be fair, the article actually refers to these areas as the heartland/great plains. But, if you ask me, I think these places are more literally midwest than the states east of the Mississippi River that we lump into the midwest. For the record, the US Census Bureau does include Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas in the Midwest region.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. I am in Iowa and had never heard of it either until I met my wife. She insisted on making cinnamon rolls when I made chili. It has become a staple of our winter menu. Now if we could just agree on the thickness of the chili. (I like mine very thick, she likes it more like a soup because she loads it up with crackers and cheese). We are both from Iowa and it was duck, duck, grey duck for me and duck, duck, goose for her so :shrug:
Do you dip the cinnamon rolls in the chili?
I do not, but the wife does. I am not sure how she does it because she has so many oyster crackers in the chili there is nothing left to get on the roll. She will even clean her bowl with the cinnamon roll when she is done.

CHECK THE LOGS, BRAH.

Thoughts?
Our school was peanut butter sandwiches with the Chili.

I love regional food.

Legit?
point of order: Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Iowa, and Colorado are not the midwest.
To be fair, the article actually refers to these areas as the heartland/great plains. But, if you ask me, I think these places are more literally midwest than the states east of the Mississippi River that we lump into the midwest. For the record, the US Census Bureau does include Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas in the Midwest region.
The article doesn't call it midwest, that was done by the OP.

Users who are viewing this thread