What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

China - the Super Thread (1 Viewer)

Marco Rubio
@marcorubio
@NBA is throwing the GM of @HoustonRockets under the bus to please the Communist Chinese Govt.

Disgusting.

They allow #China to punish a U.S. citizen for free speech in order to protect NBA’s market access in China. 

Grotesque

This is so sad.  Rubio won't speak up when Trump kowtows to China and promises not to speak up about the protests - but this he finds offensive.  GOP is so morally corrupt, its no longer even funny.

The official "South Park" Twitter account on Monday tweeted the comedic statement below:

"OFFICIAL APOLOGY TO CHINA FROM TREY PARKER AND MATT STONE.

'Like the NBA, we welcome the Chinese censors into our homes and into our hearts. We too love money more than freedom and democracy. Xi doesn't look just like Winnie the Pooh at all. Tune into our 300th episode this Wednesday at 10! Long live the Great Communist Party of China! May this autumn's sorghum harvest be bountiful! We good now China?'"

The statement came after The Hollywood Reporter on Monday reported "South Park" has been banned from the Chinese internet and that videos, mentions, and discussion forums for the Comedy Central animated series had been removed or shut down.

The episode "Band in China" references China's crackdown on Winnie the Pooh imagery, which has become a symbol of resistance to the country's leading Communist Party and its leader, Xi Jinping. The Disney movie "Christopher Robin" did not even play in China last year.

The statement from Parker and Stone also mocked the NBA's apology to China after the Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey tweeted on Friday (and then deleted) an image with the slogan "Fight for freedom, stand with Hong Kong" in solidarity with the Hong Kong protesters. The NBA issued a statement that said it was "regrettable" that Morey's views "deeply offended many of our friends and fans in China."

China also pressured video gaming company Blizzard into taking a tournament win away from a guy and banning him for a year for supporting Hong Kong in an interview at the tournament. The two announcers interviewing him were also fired.

Link

Max Power said:
This might get ugly for the NBA.
Agreed. But nobody should be surprised. People trying to take political cues from sports leagues and athletes is foolish. They’ll almost universally do what they perceive their fans want them to. The NBA read their fan base largely would support their move from Charlotte for the all star game. They probably were right, it cost them nothing really and got them some favorable coverage. But they went for the money here and likely are going to have to cancel these games now. The worst look is forcing the apologies out for the comments of an executive who dared say something positive about people protesting for freedom. It’s kind of amusing to watch them try to split hairs and act righteous but yet not offend the Chinese government. 

Agreed. But nobody should be surprised. People trying to take political cues from sports leagues and athletes is foolish. They’ll almost universally do what they perceive their fans want them to. The NBA read their fan base largely would support their move from Charlotte for the all star game. They probably were right, it cost them nothing really and got them some favorable coverage. But they went for the money here and likely are going to have to cancel these games now. The worst look is forcing the apologies out for the comments of an executive who dared say something positive about people protesting for freedom. It’s kind of amusing to watch them try to split hairs and act righteous but yet not offend the Chinese government. 
I haven't seen today's fallout yet. I'm on the fence about how I feel about players and coaches being called out by name for comments. Pop, Kerr or Bron shouldn't be forced into making political commentary anytime someone asks. 

However they do lose a bit of their righteous appeal if they can't or don't address the question. 

I haven't seen today's fallout yet. I'm on the fence about how I feel about players and coaches being called out by name for comments. Pop, Kerr or Bron shouldn't be forced into making political commentary anytime someone asks. 

However they do lose a bit of their righteous appeal if they can't or don't address the question. 
Yeah I agree, they shouldn't have to.  Their job is to coach or play, beyond that it's their choice.  I kind of subscribe to the way Charles Barkley used to describe it as not being a role model etc.  He was there to play a game, he has his opinions but he's just like anyone else.  Just because he can play basketball doesn't make him more of an expert on it.  I don't fault anyone for their comments on this, the league put itself in this situation.

GroveDiesel said:
China also pressured video gaming company Blizzard into taking a tournament win away from a guy and banning him for a year for supporting Hong Kong in an interview at the tournament. The two announcers interviewing him were also fired.

Link
This is going to be rough for Blizzard.  Reddit is going crazy over this.

Pop, Kerr or Bron shouldn't be forced into making political commentary anytime someone asks. 

Considering Steve Kerr's father was killed by members of a Lebanese militia called "Islamic Jihad" I think he can, and will, speak up whenever the hell he feels the time is right.  He always has.  His views on right & wrong and his willingness to stand up for them go much deeper than most of us.  Just my 2 cents.

LeBron James said he believes Daryl Morey was "misinformed and not educated on the situation" when the Houston Rockets general manager tweeted in support of anti-government protesters in Hong Kong on Oct. 4.

"I don't want to get into a ... feud with Daryl but I believe he wasn't educated about the situation at hand and he spoke," James said Monday, ahead of the Lakers preseason game against the Golden State Warriors. "So many people could have been harmed, not only financially, but physically, emotionally, spiritually.
:doh:

Considering Steve Kerr's father was killed by members of a Lebanese militia called "Islamic Jihad" I think he can, and will, speak up whenever the hell he feels the time is right.  He always has.  His views on right & wrong and his willingness to stand up for them go much deeper than most of us.  Just my 2 cents.
I didn’t know this, but how does this make it better for Kerr? He actually isn’t standing up for right/wrong, he’s doing standard bs deflection like happens all the time in politicized discourse. 

Let me clear up the confusion. I do not believe there was any consideration for the consequences and ramifications of the tweet. I’m not discussing the substance. Others can talk About that.

— LeBron James (@KingJames) October 15, 2019

My team and this league just went through a difficult week. I think people need to understand what a tweet or statement can do to others. And I believe nobody stopped and considered what would happen. Could have waited a week to send it.

— LeBron James (@KingJames) October 15, 2019
Yeah... I don't think you made it any better with these. 

China due to introduce face scans for mobile users

People in China are now required to have their faces scanned when registering new mobile phone services, as the authorities seek to verify the identities of the country's hundreds of millions of internet users.

The regulation, announced in September, was due to come into effect on Sunday.

The government says it wants to "protect the legitimate rights and interest of citizens in cyberspace".

China already uses facial recognition technology to survey its population.

It is a world leader in such technologies, but their intensifying use across the country in recent years has sparked debate.

What are the new rules?

When signing up for new mobile or mobile data contracts, people are already required to show their national identification card (as required in many countries) and have their photos taken.

But now, they will also have their faces scanned in order to verify that they are a genuine match for the ID provided.

China has for years been trying to enforce rules to ensure that everyone using the internet does so under their "real-name" identities.

In 2017, for example, new rules required internet platforms to verify a user's true identity before letting them post online content.

The new regulation for telecom operators was framed by the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology as a way to "strengthen" this system and ensure that the government can identify all mobile phone users. Most Chinese internet users access the web via their phones.

Jeffrey Ding, a researcher on Chinese artificial intelligence at Oxford University, said that one of China's motivations for getting rid of anonymous phone numbers and internet accounts was to boost cyber-security and reduce internet fraud.

But another likely motivation, he said, was to better track the population: "It's connected to a very centralised push to try to keep tabs on everyone, or that's at least the ambition."
Sounds very 1984

This seems to be a pretty significant step:

Secretary Pompeo @SecPompeo

Today, I reported to Congress that Hong Kong is no longer autonomous from China, given facts on the ground.

The United States stands with the people of Hong Kong.

Trump removed special exemptions from hong kong.  Not sure this has much of an impact.  Also stopping visas for chinese students.

Four Indian soldiers killed in hand to hand struggle with Chinese soldiers on Himalayan border.

Indian and Chinese soldiers have been locked in a standoff for weeks

New Delhi: An Indian colonel and two jawans were killed in a "violent face-off" on Monday night with Chinese troops at Galwan Valley in Ladakh, in a massive escalation in the middle of efforts to defuse weeks of tension at the border. India retaliated and there were casualties on both sides, said the army. Army sources say the soldiers were not shot but were killed in a physical fight on Indian Territory that involved stones and batons. Major Generals of both sides are meeting currently, according to an official statement. This is the first violent incident involving fatalities since 1975 between India and China, who fought a brief border war in 1962.

Users who are viewing this thread