What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CJ Spiller vs Jamaal Charles vs LeSean McCoy in PPR (1 Viewer)

In Redraft

• Spiller

Votes: 19 11.7%
  • Charles

Votes: 118 72.4%
  • McCoy

Votes: 26 16.0%

• Total voters
I went charles for both. To keep it short, under andy reid charles has yearly 70 catch upside and is part of an offense with a true #1 receiver and now acceptable qb. Hes a stud no matter how you slice it and i have the least number of concerns for him.

Charles x2

Decent QB, solid WR1, great offensive line, great coaching, good defense that will get the ball back to him and possibly result in a lot of running down the clock late.... love Charles and chiefs this year.

Unlike the "dream team" preseason hype/crap a couple years ago I actually like the Chiefs to do well this year. In a weak AFC I think they'll grab a wildcard spot and possibly have a better record than a division winner. The Ravens and Steelers are in total rebuild so they will fall off a bit .... that opens up two perennial playoff spots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Charles x2

Decent QB, solid WR1, great offensive line, great coaching, good defense that will get the ball back to him and possibly result in a lot of running down the clock late.... love Charles and chiefs this year.

Unlike the "dream team" preseason hype/crap a couple years ago I actually like the Chiefs to do well this year. In a weak AFC I think they'll grab a wildcard spot and possibly have a better record than a division winner. The Ravens and Steelers are in total rebuild so they will fall off a bit .... that opens up two perennial playoff spots.
Neither the Ravens nor the Steelers are in "total rebuild." The Ravens are the defending champs and lost a few players, but still maintain the core of a championship team and added a few new faces as well. They're still a 10-win team, IMO. The Steelers will win at least 9-10 games if Roethlisberger stays healthy.

Teams with franchise QBs committed to long-term 9 figure deals are never in "rebuild" mode - they're always trying to win now. I can't see the Chiefs being better than either team barring injuries. Now, could they get second in their division and grab a wildcard? Sure. But I think a #6 seed is about the best-case scenario if they prove to be better than Miami, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Tennessee.. possible but unlikely. I think 8-8 and in the mix late in the season is most likely.

Charles x2

Neither the Ravens nor the Steelers are in "total rebuild." The Ravens are the defending champs and lost a few players, but still maintain the core of a championship team and added a few new faces as well. They're still a 10-win team, IMO. The Steelers will win at least 9-10 games if Roethlisberger stays healthy.Teams with franchise QBs committed to long-term 9 figure deals are never in "rebuild" mode - they're always trying to win now. I can't see the Chiefs being better than either team barring injuries. Now, could they get second in their division and grab a wildcard? Sure. But I think a #6 seed is about the best-case scenario if they prove to be better than Miami, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Tennessee.. possible but unlikely. I think 8-8 and in the mix late in the season is most likely.
:goodposting:

Not willing to overpay =/= total rebuild. Good teams are forced to make hard decisions relative to the salary cap every single year. And bad teams overpay for the players that the good teams can't afford to keep every year also. Pittsburgh and Baltimore will be just fine.

Agreed that Charles is probably the clear answer for both of these (I voted him x2). His talent might suggest that answer, and then you can consider there are no backs behind him, compared to FJax and Bryce for the other guys, really supports Charles as #1 among these 3.

So the real question becomes - who is the number 2? (sticking with re-draft here)

Although I think Bryce Brown is more of a threat to steal carries than FJax is, I also think that there will be enough carries to go around in Philly for McCoy to get his 250+ carries and targets, while making room for Brown.

I expect Chip Kelly to try to run a fast paced offense, attempt to lead the league in total plays run (see NE, who copied his template). Whether or not he's a good NFL coach remains to be seen, but that's what he'll try to do. From his Oregon days - does Kelly often throw screens or other passes to his RBs? I know that he feeds them a ton of carries, but it's my impression that he favors the WR screens more than RB screens. If you look at LaMichael James, he had lots of carries but was fairly limited in receptions (~250-300 carries per year, but only 17 receptions x year). Not sure if that is a limit in James or by design.

I have less clear of an expectation about the Bills offense. Syracuse dude will probably try to lean on the run due to "crappy" or "developing" QBs (depending on how you look at it, or which one starts). Although Spiller is a more explosive RB than McCoy, he's probably more reliant on scoring long TDs, and probably won't see as many touches as McCoy (but will certainly produce more per touch).

Because of the mostly sorry state of the Bills offense, compared to the idea that Kelly wants to run a ton of plays, points me to McCoy over Spiller for this year... that conclusion would be strengthened if I hear that Kelly will continue to heavily utilize McCoy in the passing game.

Dynasty wise, I think most people would consider Spiller a more talented back as compared to McCoy.

Agreed that Charles is probably the clear answer for both of these (I voted him x2). His talent might suggest that answer, and then you can consider there are no backs behind him, compared to FJax and Bryce for the other guys, really supports Charles as #1 among these 3.
K.Davis is not bad and we may see this in the preseason. Actually, the worst thing that can happen to Charles' owners is for K.Davis to kick butt in preseason. But, yes .... Charles sure is a talent

I will go against the grain and say McCoy over Charles in both formats only because I think Kelly will run the hell out of the ball and McCoy has a better nose for the end zone. Plus McCoy is younger and has never had a serious injury (other than concussion), where Charles has had a serious ACL injury. I honestly think both will be in the top 5 unless Charles can't get in the end zone more often then I see him in the 7-10 range.

Charles and McCoy are like brother when it comes to talent/run style and physical statistics, in fact there combine/pro day numbers are near identical. Not sure why everyone seems to act like Charles is so much more talented!!

I think Charles is more talented with a 5.8 YPC average vs. McCoy's 4.6. McCoy's highest year (5.2) is lower than Charles' lowest year (5.3). And for the most part, Charles has played on a worse team for his career.

Charles has more straight line speed, while Shady is juk-ier.

They ran near identical times in the 40 and both will break ankles, big difference for me is McCoy gets in the end zone alot and Charles does not. Only time will tell and if charles starts scoring I might change my mind but until then regardless if its because of his team/coaches/line I will lean towards McCoy but not by much

results are very interesting

dynasty wise it real close between Spiller and Charles but nobody seems to want to vote for Spiller in redraft

I love Charles this year. Reid has always feed his lead back the ball with running and the passing game. Charles should get in the red zone more with better talent and scheme this year.

McCoy has had better setup till this year now these two players both good spots and shouls prosper.

results are very interesting

dynasty wise it real close between Spiller and Charles but nobody seems to want to vote for Spiller in redraft
At this point, Spiller is beating Charles in Dynasty by 3 votes. Interesting is right. I voted for Charles in both, even though I'm a Spiller owner. I think people are less likely to vote for Spiller in redraft at this point because of the uncertainty of how the new offense will run. We all know how an Andy Reid offense will go and we all know what Chip Kelly wants to do. Doug Marrone isn't as well known to the general public, unless you live in upstate NY or followed the Saints a couple years back (but BUF doesn't have a Brees-like QB, so its hard to imagine the offense will be run the same)

I think the talent level is pretty equal between all three, with McCoy having the greatest challenge to his fantasy value due to a very capable backup. FJax is old and Charles has nobody to worry about. I'd still take Charles over Spiller in both redraft and dynasty, but it's very close. Almost 1A & 1B. McCoy is last of those three...I don't think we'll see Oregon production in Philly...

I'd say the real answer right now is "who knows?"...Lets go back exactly one year and run the same poll. Would Spiller or Charles even get one vote for redraft? Would either of them get half the votes that McCoy would receive for dynasty? ... Lots can happen in one year, and whether those events are abberations or the start of a trend is the million dollar question in evaluating these 3 backs. And it is because of that that I wouldn't be actively trying to acquire one of these guys over the other-- at least at this point in time.

Charles x2

Neither the Ravens nor the Steelers are in "total rebuild." The Ravens are the defending champs and lost a few players, but still maintain the core of a championship team and added a few new faces as well. They're still a 10-win team, IMO. The Steelers will win at least 9-10 games if Roethlisberger stays healthy.Teams with franchise QBs committed to long-term 9 figure deals are never in "rebuild" mode - they're always trying to win now. I can't see the Chiefs being better than either team barring injuries. Now, could they get second in their division and grab a wildcard? Sure. But I think a #6 seed is about the best-case scenario if they prove to be better than Miami, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Tennessee.. possible but unlikely. I think 8-8 and in the mix late in the season is most likely.
:goodposting:

Not willing to overpay =/= total rebuild. Good teams are forced to make hard decisions relative to the salary cap every single year. And bad teams overpay for the players that the good teams can't afford to keep every year also. Pittsburgh and Baltimore will be just fine.
:lmao: so the Ravens didn't overpay by handing one of the biggest contracts in the history of the NFL to a mediocre QB? I guess that's another topic, but i had to call you out for the obvious oversight.

I'd say the real answer right now is "who knows?"...Lets go back exactly one year and run the same poll. Would Spiller or Charles even get one vote for redraft? Would either of them get half the votes that McCoy would receive for dynasty? ... Lots can happen in one year, and whether those events are abberations or the start of a trend is the million dollar question in evaluating these 3 backs. And it is because of that that I wouldn't be actively trying to acquire one of these guys over the other-- at least at this point in time.
So when you're on the clock on the first round and it's your turn to pick, you'll just abstain and let the next manager choose?

Of course we don't know, but we have to choose between the three based on the information that we do have.

Warrior said:
wodahSShadow said:
So when you're on the clock on the first round and it's your turn to pick, you'll just abstain and let the next manager choose?

Of course we don't know, but we have to choose between the three based on the information that we do have.
As my last few sentences imply, I was referring to dynasty...In redraft, of course, it will depend on my position and who is available. Call me crazy, but if I am picking 4-7 I am taking T-Rich over any of them. My *PPR* Redraft RB rankings in order:

1) AP

2) Martin

3) Foster

4) Richardson

5) Charles

6) Rice

7) McCoy

8) Spiller

9) Lynch

10) Ridley

Warrior said:
wodahSShadow said:

As my last few sentences imply, I was referring to dynasty...In redraft, of course, it will depend on my position and who is available. Call me crazy, but if I am picking 4-7 I am taking T-Rich over any of them. My *PPR* Redraft RB rankings in order:

1) AP

2) Martin

3) Foster

4) Richardson

5) Charles

6) Rice

7) McCoy

8) Spiller

9) Lynch

10) Ridley
A RB who could see 300 carries, 50 receptions, finally healthy, and who has Norv Turner as his OC? I for one wouldn't call you crazy.

Warrior said:
wodahSShadow said:

1) AP

2) Martin

3) Foster

4) Richardson

5) Charles

6) Rice

7) McCoy

8) Spiller

9) Lynch

10) Ridley
A RB who could see 300 carries, 50 receptions, finally healthy, and who has Norv Turner as his OC? I for one wouldn't call you crazy.
:hifive:

anyone wanna change their vote

Rookie OC Nathaniel Hackett said the Bills will feed C.J. Spiller the football "until he throws up."
"So he's either got to tap out or throw up on the field," said Hackett. "Let's just put it that way." Per the Buffalo News, a radio host asked Hackett "if Spiller would be the focal point of the offense." Hackett's responded by "laughing incredulously and wondered why anybody would think otherwise." The Bills' website has suggested Spiller could touch the ball 30 times a game. A run-first coach with designs on wearing down opponents, Doug Marrone has markered in Spiller for a monster workload. He's also locked in as a top-five fantasy pick.

Users who are viewing this thread