What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clarett turns to life of Crime (1 Viewer)

knowledge dropper

Footballguy
Breaking news in Columbus Ohio.Maurice Clarett wanted by policeBy Kathy Lynn GrayThe Columbus DispatchSunday, January 1, 2006 10:01 AMFormer Ohio State football star Maurice Clarett is a wanted man today.Columbus Police said Clarett, 22, and two other men attempted to rob two people very early this morning outside of a S. High Street bar, the Opium Lounge. Clarett approached two people and demanded property from them. Either Clarett or the other men with him had a handgun, police reported.After the 1:46 a.m. incident, Clarett and the two men sped away in a white SUV. Police are searching for Clarett and the two men and have charged Clarett with two counts of aggravated robbery. Police said the two victims were not injured. It is unclear if the victims had anything taken. kgray@dispatch.com

It's odd that this story comes up.Just yesterday I was thinking of the Ohio State / Notre Dame game, and where Maurice Clarett is.What team did he end up with after Skeletor whacked him?

This was very predictable.That is why I have a hard time believing that guys like TO don`t respect their craft more. Where would TO be without the NFL?

Last edited by a moderator:
He had huge advocates in NFL great Jim Brown and in young phenom baskeball star LeBron James. Wonder if they can help him get on track. Perhaps Clarrett was never really that promising, his Freshman year at Ohio State an aberration.

This was very predictable.

That is why I have a hard time believing that guys like TO don`t respect their craft more. Where would TO be without the NFL?
TO may be a loudmouth, but he is one of the very best in the world at his position. You don't acheive the success TO has had without hard work. To compare him to Clarrett, who expected the world to be handed to him without earning it, is completely off base. :thumbdown:

That is why I have a hard time believing that guys like TO don`t respect their craft more. Where would TO be without the NFL?
TO may be a loudmouth, but he is one of the very best in the world at his position. You don't acheive the success TO has had without hard work. To compare him to Clarrett, who expected the world to be handed to him without earning it, is completely off base. :thumbdown:
Agreed. I'd also point out that having a big mouth and a big ego is not the same thing as committing armed robbery.

It's odd that this story comes up.

Just yesterday I was thinking of the Ohio State / Notre Dame game, and where Maurice Clarett is.

What team did he end up with after Skeletor whacked him?
Not sure I understand the question. Theres no team that desperate in the NFL right now.

Just yesterday I was thinking of the Ohio State / Notre Dame game, and where Maurice Clarett is.

Not sure I understand the question. Theres no team that desperate in the NFL right now.
Arizona?

It's truly a sad story. Four years ago he was the highest paid player in college football and the MVP on a National Championship team. Now he is sticking up drunks stumbling out of a bar on New Years Eve for cash.

I think the most surprising part of this story is the fact Clarett still hangs-out in Columbus. If I'm Mo-Mo, I'd be living in a location where I would be least recognizeable.

Where would Tom Brady be without the NFL?

Me thinks the word "allegedly" needs to be somewhere in this thread.
Yeah, you're right. But you know how the internet is ---- any rumor of something bad about someone disliked is treated as true by some. It takes awhile to see what actually happened, and if anyone is guilty of anything.The story's on Sportsline now: Link

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Former Ohio State University running back Maurice Clarett was accused of using a gun to rob two people in an alley behind a bar early Sunday and taking a cell phone, police said.

Clarett, 22, who helped the Buckeyes win the national championship in 2002, fled when the bar owner or manager, who knew Clarett and the victims, came into the alley and identified him shortly before 2 a.m., detectives said.

According to police, he left the scene in a white sport utility vehicle with two other men and got only the cell phone from his alleged victims. Neither was hurt.

Clarett is wanted on two counts of suspicion of aggravated robbery, police said.

Arizona?
No one wants a RB who wont practice and drinks in the locker room, and cant run under a 4.8

Arizona?
No one wants a RB who wont practice and drinks in the locker room, and cant run under a 4.8
How is that any different compared to what they have now?

It's truly a sad story. Four years ago he was the highest paid player in college football and the MVP on a National Championship team. Now he is sticking up drunks stumbling out of a bar on New Years Eve for cash.
:excited:

Clarett's another Lawrence Phillips but with half the talent.
The only thing I'd say puts Clarett ahead of LP is that he's not mistreating women. That of course just means that he's a higher strata of scum. I'm not sure that he was ever as talented as he was made out to be - being on a national championship team got him a lot of exposure, and having all of the other talent on that team around him certainly helped him immensely. Still, he's managed to piss away a set of opportunities and talents that many, many people work hard for but never have.

[Where would Tom Brady be without the NFL?
Successful at whatever he does. People like Brady are usually winners in life not just sports.
:goodposting: Having watched Brady at Michigan and NE, I'd have to agree with this. He always struck me as someone who had his head on straight.

Unlike Clarett, who thought the world should roll over and give him millions after one season where the team had more to do with his success than him (IMO).

Agreed. I'd also point out that having a big mouth and a big ego is not the same thing as committing armed robbery.
:goodposting: As much as I can't stand TO, this is absolutely true. He's a self-absorbed jerk, not a criminal.

With his people and leadership skills, Brady would have $200K+ per year high powered sales job.T.O., perhaps a personal trainer in a gym (one with lots of mirrors)

With his people and leadership skills, Brady would have $200K+ per year high powered sales job.T.O., perhaps a personal trainer in a gym (one with lots of mirrors)
:rolleyes: WHat was Brady's major in college? The real world is far different from the sports world. I have great leadership and intangibles on my work softball team, but I do not pull down $200,000 a year.

If this charge is legit, I have an idea: Ya know that shoe commercial where Carmelo Anthony is shown in 2 different lives, one as a thug and the other as the NBA star he's chosen to be? I think they should make 1 of Clarett choosing to be a thug. Or not...

" . . . and police said the bar owner, who came outside during the robbery, knew Clarett." Sorry, but while stranger-to-stranger, not to mention cross-racial identification can be shaky evidence, identification by people familiar with the suspect is just the opposite. Unless there are more details than are in that article that are helpful to Clarett, he's in serious trouble.

" . . . and police said the bar owner, who came outside during the robbery, knew Clarett." Sorry, but while stranger-to-stranger, not to mention cross-racial identification can be shaky evidence, identification by people familiar with the suspect is just the opposite. Unless there are more details than are in that article that are helpful to Clarett, he's in serious trouble.
Actually that article says the following:Nyarko could not identify Clarett as the guy.

His girlfriend picked Clarett as the guy from police pictures.

The bar owner knows Clarett.

It doesn't say the bar owner identified Clarett.

He has turned himself into the police. In the coming months we will see what his side of the story is. If it was some sort of joke, then the joke will be on him as he will at least get a short sentence (if he is convicted). Once again another directionless athlete runs amok, so sad..... :wall:

" . . . and police said the bar owner, who came outside during the robbery, knew Clarett."  Sorry, but while stranger-to-stranger, not to mention cross-racial identification can be shaky evidence, identification by people familiar with the suspect is just the opposite.  Unless there are more details than are in that article that are helpful to Clarett, he's in serious trouble.
Actually that article says the following:Nyarko could not identify Clarett as the guy.

Actually, she did. The local paper quoted her as identifying Clarett.

Think he'll get a lawyer & sue to get into the Ohio Penal League even though he's not an eligible underclassman?What goes around comes around, Maurice, my man. This guy is going to be a menace to society for years to come unless he meets an untimely demise.

" . . . and police said the bar owner, who came outside during the robbery, knew Clarett."  Sorry, but while stranger-to-stranger, not to mention cross-racial identification can be shaky evidence, identification by people familiar with the suspect is just the opposite.  Unless there are more details than are in that article that are helpful to Clarett, he's in serious trouble.

The bar owner came outside during the robbery. The bar owner knows Clarett. The bar owner would therefore be in a position to rule out Clarett as being there or being involved. Fascinating that the bar owner has apparently said no such thing.

You're missing my point, which is only this: the article you linked says nothing about the bar owner identifying, or not identifying, Clarett as being at the scene. That's all.

Media constantly churns out conflicting articles, and it's often difficult to make any sense out of them as a reader. It gets even more difficult when we mistakenly summarize what an article says.

This is obviously a plot by Tampa Bay fans to create dissension among Redskin fans. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread