What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Close Calls: Chris Johnson -VS- Matt Forte (1 Viewer)

PPR

• CJ

Votes: 30 18.9%
  • Forte

Votes: 129 81.1%

• Total voters

(HULK)

(Smash)
Its the 2nd round and these two RBs have fallen to your pick. You're going to pick one of them. Which and why?

Truth is, I REALLY want both on my teams this year. PPR wise, I'll take Forte working in Trestman's offense every time. In standard, CJ2K has the higher ceiling due to TDs although it's admittedly closer to a wash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on your first round pick. Calvin I go Forte. Reliable RB1, I go upside on CJ myself. Both should finish close in total points, CJ will give you weeks where he just goes ridiculous mode

Forte more dependable than Johnson and has terrific upside in Trestman offense.

I like Johnson and the improvements to the Oline but the boom bust is not worth taking him over Forte in my opinion because I think Forte has similar upside as Johnson as well.

Should we take injury history into account? Forte has had some knee and ankle trouble where as CJ has been one of the more durable RBs in the league over the past several years.

Chris Johnson.

This naturally assumes I have a good RB1 from the first round.

Fortunately, for me, enough people were kinda "sleeping" on CJ that I got him later in the 2nd (2.09 and even 2.11) in a few leagues this year.

I like that CJ hasn't missed a single game in years, and had the upgraded O-line as well as seemingly legitimate WR play.

I give Forte the slight edge because he will have a ton of recieving yards this year. He's a safe bet for 100 all purpose yards per game where CJ will have 30 yards stinkers for every 140/TD game.

Truth is, I REALLY want both on my teams this year. PPR wise, I'll take Forte working in Trestman's offense every time. In standard, CJ2K has the higher ceiling due to TDs although it's admittedly closer to a wash.
I've been targeting both in FFPC drafts. The only issue is they both have the same bye week. So you also need to secure a couple decent RB options for week 8 if you draft both of them in rounds 1/2.

Forte will lose less GL carries.
Among active backs with at least 10 carries inside the opponent's three-yard line, Forte's rate of converting touchdowns is dead last (22.2%, 8-for-36). The league average in 2011 was 44.1%. So it's no wonder Chicago plans on replacing Forte near the goal line with Michael Bush (48%, 12-for-25 in his career).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443618604577621691733598530.html

That article was from right before last season (August 30, 2012). Considering that Forte had only five rushing TDs last season I don't think that he did much to change the idea that Bush is the more reliable goalline back.

SameSongNDance said:
Should we take injury history into account? Forte has had some knee and ankle trouble where as CJ has been one of the more durable RBs in the league over the past several years.
I take it into account but Forte's upside is too good to pass up. For the record, I think both could be top 5 backs this season but I'd say Forte has the easier path to that end result.

I like both of these guys for 2013, but would and have taken Forte over Johnson. Early on it might have been possible to get Johnson early third, but that ship has sailed.

Banger said:
adrenaline said:
I don't know...Bush had 2 tds last week.
Jewell said:
adrenaline said:
Among active backs with at least 10 carries inside the opponent's three-yard line, Forte's rate of converting touchdowns is dead last (22.2%, 8-for-36). The league average in 2011 was 44.1%. So it's no wonder Chicago plans on replacing Forte near the goal line with Michael Bush (48%, 12-for-25 in his career).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443618604577621691733598530.html

That article was from right before last season (August 30, 2012). Considering that Forte had only five rushing TDs last season I don't think that he did much to change the idea that Bush is the more reliable goalline back.
I didn't see the 3rd preseason the game, were Bush's TDs with the first team? Matt Forte handled all three red-zone carries with the Bears' first-team offense in their 2nd preseason game. Michael Bush worked strictly with the Josh McCown offense. Forte was stripped of goal-line duties under Lovie Smith, but he's earning them back under Marc Trestman.

Users who are viewing this thread