What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coaches that will be fired on Black Monday (1 Viewer)

Kubiak is a no-brainier. Probably Shanahan, especially if he loses out. Schiano unless he wins out. Schwartz if he doesn't make the playoffs. Possibly Ryan and Philbin, although I doubt it. Coughlin won't get fired, but he may retire. No idea on Munchak or Frazier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Schiano is safe. He has to tone down a bit, but the players are still playing hard for him.

He got rid of a cancer. (Freeman) Drafted a nice looking young QB in Glennon (who in worst case is a solid backup long term). Lost Doug Martin&Mike Williams, yet now winning. O-line playing as well as any in the league & pass D vastly improved. I'd give him another year for the simple fact of moving on from Josh Freeman.

I still don't think Jason Garrett lasts after season without winning a playoff game...and after they miss the playoffs altogether he'll be gone

I still don't think Jason Garrett lasts after season without winning a playoff game...and after they miss the playoffs altogether he'll be gone
That isn't what Jerry Jones said but there isn't anything that says he won't change his mind.

Shanny

Kubiak

Frazier

Philbin

Mike smith

Rex
Rex is a question mark and I think Smith gets one more year...Schiano needs to win 3 of his last 5 to save his job. Honestly I still think it's in danger even if he does.

Hoping Capers gets the boom. Packers defense is just a poorly run unit schematically. I mean 3rd and 11 against the Lions and nobody is on Calvin? Give me a break.

Kubiak, Shanahan seem certain. Schiano seemed obvious a month ago, but this little run could save him. Mike Smith probably stays. Green Bay should dump Capers. Leslie Frazier is terrible and should go. And the Colts wont do it but they should dump Pep Hamilton as OC.

Rex maybe, but I don't think he should. Considering the personnel on offense, I doubt most head coaches would have a winning record there.

Shanny

Kubiak

Frazier

Philbin

Mike Smith

Rex - I'm not so sure about.
This, plus Schiano and if Schwartz does not end up winning the division some how, him too.

Coughlin might step away if even for a year and Munchack cant get anything working in Tennessee.

Most of them are idiots, or mediocre at best, so any number of them could be fired & shouldn't faze anyone. The league of recycled coaching personnel; nepotism & good ol' boy network continues to produce trash.

Kubiak is a no-brainier. Probably Shanahan, especially if he loses out. Schiano unless he wins out. Schwartz if he doesn't make the playoffs. Possibly Ryan and Philbin, although I doubt it. Coughlin won't get fired, but he may retire. No idea on Munchak or Frazier.
the Kube is done, i expect that whole staff to go.

I don't see Snyder giving up on the Shanny's yet... they'll get atleast 1 more yr.

I think Dennis Allen is safe if the team keeps playing hard. Especially if the team can pull off 1 or 2 more wins by seasons end.

cubbie5150 said:
Most of them are idiots, or mediocre at best, so any number of them could be fired & shouldn't faze anyone. The league of recycled coaching personnel; nepotism & good ol' boy network continues to produce trash.
Who is on your list of people that you would like to be head coaches?

mphtrilogy said:
Shanny

Kubiak

Frazier

Philbin

Mike smith

Rex
Kubiak might be the only certain. I'm shocked to see Rex mentioned so much. The jets were supposed to be one of the worst teams in the league this year. They probably have the worst skill position players in the league and they still are contending for a wildcard basically because of Rex's defense. Don't think any other coach could do done any better with this bunch.

My wish for Black Monday is that any coach is fired, and that Jon Gruden is hired on as the replacement. Any coach will do, as long as it gets Gruden off of TV and out of the announcer's booth.

mphtrilogy said:
Shanny

Kubiak

Frazier

Philbin

Mike smith

Rex
Kubiak might be the only certain. I'm shocked to see Rex mentioned so much. The jets were supposed to be one of the worst teams in the league this year. They probably have the worst skill position players in the league and they still are contending for a wildcard basically because of Rex's defense. Don't think any other coach could do done any better with this bunch.
Yeah, people thought they would be in the Bridgewater sweepstakes with Jacksonville at the start of the year. They beat both the Pats and NO...two teams that could go deep in the play-offs. They are far from perfect, but I doubt many other head coaches would be doing a better job with that group.

Smith is safe- the O-Line coach will be history along with the D Line assistants is the word out of Atlanta
well someone has to burn for this season
Idont know man, even though I dont like Mike Smith as a coach, the team's defense, Oline and skill positions was basically destroyed by injuries for most of the season.

I could see them bouncing back big next season with some better health and a good free agency/draft.

Granted Smith's ultra conserative style might have worn out its welcome.

Smith is safe- the O-Line coach will be history along with the D Line assistants is the word out of Atlanta
Idont know man, even though I dont like Mike Smith as a coach, the team's defense, Oline and skill positions was basically destroyed by injuries for most of the season.

I could see them bouncing back big next season with some better health and a good free agency/draft.

Roddy White missed many weeks.

Julio out for most the season.

Sjax hurt most of the early part of the season and has not bounced back.

TGonzo missed camp and had minor game effecting injuries.

They will be an elite team next year yet again. That back up TE looks like he can have some impact with the two talented WRs out wide, but Atlanta needs them bad.

On the other side of the coin, Smith does make some pretty boneheaded decisions too often.

Smith will stay but he has been repeatedly outcoached by Payton and I think that really burns up some in Atlanta. Smith is something like 2-12 against the Saints, and maybe both those wins were really lucky.

Overall I would describe his style as embarrassingly gutless.

Rex - it's way past time

Philbin - have to.

Kubiak - no leeway for playoff run I guess

Frazier - not a popular guy but does ownership really hold Ponder/Carrell/Freeman against him? I just think they think they need a fresh start.

Coordinators - OC Haley in PIT, everyone in ATL (and they were so proud of their coordinator hires last year, maybe they stay and the position coaches go), Shanahan & Son stay but Haslett goes

Question marks:

Allen - I think he stays; the Raiders need stability and he has done a great job with the hand that was dealt him, the oline, the secondary, the QB, McFadden (again). Keep him.

Schiano - I wonder if ownership didn't have his back and support through all the turmoil; they may have been doing it all together. They brought him in to instill discipline and change the locker room culture that existed under Morris and that's what he did.

I don't think Shanahan will be coaching the Redskins next year. The results on the field don't justify him returning, the front office is silent, and I don't think Shanahan wants to come back. Watch him on the sideline at games now; he looks as lifeless as his team, like he wants to be elsewhere. Same look Spurrier had his last few games before he left.

With 2 big egos involved it'll take some wrangling and snarky anonymous press leaks by Shanahan and Snyder to work things out, but basically I think he'll be paid to leave and happy to leave. He's failed and he knows it.

Just one guy's guess.

Users who are viewing this thread