What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coffin Corner Kick (1 Viewer)

Steel Dillo

Footballguy
I am so sick of seeing punters boot the ball right down the middle and into the endzone. :X

Is there a reasonable explanation for this or are todays punters (and coaches) that stupid?

I have been saying this same thing all night! Rouen easily cost about 90 yards of field position tonight on touchbacks.

Rouen could have played a key role in burying Pittsburgh deep in the first half. Instead Seattle ended up playing on long fields all night, even when their D was producing all those three-and-outs in the first half.

Today's punters must have been former placekickers, and thus have the mindset from kicking off that kick-out of-bounds = penalty.

As far as I know, the main reason why punters don't try to kick to a corner is too many times while trying to nail it inside the 10, they'd shank it and it would go out at the 20-25. So what teams started doing was hang the ball up so it would either 1) be fair-caught at or around the 10-yard line or 2) downed inside the 20. With the speed of the gunners nowadays, this theory is much more reliable.

As far as I know, the main reason why punters don't try to kick to a corner is too many times while trying to nail it inside the 10, they'd shank it and it would go out at the 20-25. So what teams started doing was hang the ball up so it would either 1) be fair-caught at or around the 10-yard line or 2) downed inside the 20. With the speed of the gunners nowadays, this theory is much more reliable.
I think this is all correct. I also think punters have better hang time now in addition to the greater "speed of the gunners nowadays", so there is always a decent shot of a fumble or a muff if the punt is done right and the return man tries to make a catch. Plus, you could get lucky with a crazy bounce that hits a player on the receiving team.

Why not "hang" it in the corner

You actually havce more field to play with too.

I think if I PRACTICED the corner kick 2 hours a day, I could nail it inside the 10 at least 90% of the time.

I think the guys who coach and kick football for a living are probably the guys who know the best way to punt. I'll go with them.

I think the guys who coach and kick football for a living are probably the guys who know the best way to punt. I'll go with them.
I agree, to an extent. But apparently knowing and doing are two different things. at least a couple of Rouen's kicks were no where near landing on the +/- 10 yard line which is where it needs to be for the other special teams players to have a shot at a play. He's gotta do one or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread