What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Collective RB unmasking for the stretch run (1 Viewer)

The Dude

Footballguy
So for all those looking for a RB - and there should be lots of you - lets collectively look at the RB landscape and see where we may unearth somebody ahead of their breakout.  For the most part, looking at waiver guys.  Here's some to start the conversation - add names as you like - but let's not get into the "not in my league" or "if so-n-so gets hurt" garbage.

Looking for a guy that might become somebody for ROS.   I think your priority short term waivers are J Williams, B Scott and Hubbard - those guys are on the list but J Willams and Hubbard are probably not who I am talking about due to limited value.

Stevenson (probably least likely on waivers)

Breida/Moss

Lindsay/Ahmed

T Williams (Balt)

Hilliard/Foreman/McNichols

D Johnson/Burkhead

B Scott/J Howard

J Williams (Det)

Tony Jones

Hubbard

Michel

Looking at rookies, Nwangwu of MN was a top 10 drafted RB and the only one in that group that I have not heard anything about this season.  Beyond that might be Jemar Jefferson of Det. 

My pick right now is Lindsay - I think that guy may take over and have every week value.  Scott is also on that list.

Other names?  Maybe some more off the radar?

So for all those looking for a RB - and there should be lots of you - lets collectively look at the RB landscape and see where we may unearth somebody ahead of their breakout.  For the most part, looking at waiver guys.  Here's some to start the conversation - add names as you like - but let's not get into the "not in my league" or "if so-n-so gets hurt" garbage.

Looking for a guy that might become somebody for ROS.   I think your priority short term waivers are J Williams, B Scott and Hubbard - those guys are on the list but J Willams and Hubbard are probably not who I am talking about due to limited value.

Stevenson (probably least likely on waivers)

Breida/Moss

Lindsay/Ahmed

T Williams (Balt)

Hilliard/Foreman/McNichols

D Johnson/Burkhead

B Scott/J Howard

J Williams (Det)

Tony Jones

Hubbard

Michel

Looking at rookies, Nwangwu of MN was a top 10 drafted RB and the only one in that group that I have not heard anything about this season.  Beyond that might be Jemar Jefferson of Det. 

My pick right now is Lindsay - I think that guy may take over and have every week value.  Scott is also on that list.

Other names?  Maybe some more off the radar?
Someone explain Ty'son Smith to me.  Guy has 12 carries and six targets since week 2, if Latavius or Freeman gets hurt won't Baltimore simply resign Leveon Bell again? Smith averages 5.3 per carry and 9.3 per reception but clearly there is something the Baltimore coaching staff simply does not like about him.

Someone explain Ty'son Smith to me.  Guy has 12 carries and six targets since week 2, if Latavius or Freeman gets hurt won't Baltimore simply resign Leveon Bell again? Smith averages 5.3 per carry and 9.3 per reception but clearly there is something the Baltimore coaching staff simply does not like about him.

I am with ya - but felt he should be on the list.

Great topic. As a manager who just lost CMC (again), this topic is of great interest to me.

I think that’s a solid list. Depending on Sanders’ ankle, I think Scott probably has the most promise to potentially happen. Michel is the clear winner if Hendo were to get hurt of course, but we have to see with him. He’s been  uncharacteristically durable so far this season.

I don’t agree with the Lindsay call though. Don’t see the Dolphins phasing out Gaskin, let alone handing the job over to Lindsay completely. The fact that the Phins have won 4 straight with Gaskin playing decently, and more importantly getting it done at the goal line, means I can’t see them rocking the boat here. Lindsay got some run last week, but it was mostly in garbage time. If anything this backfield just becomes that much more of a total mess once Brown comes off IR. I see that as a much more likely scenario than any type of Lindsay takeover. 

Good topic. 

I'm in a PPR league, have clinched a bye and have been stockpiling RBs for the stretch run hoping one can pop. I'm looking at weeks 16 and 17 schedule as well.

Currently holding:

* Breida -- @NE, ATL. NE's minor weakness may be it's rush D. BUF a high powered offense, Breida has flashed, and the other two have done nothing.

* Burkhead -- LAC, @SF. DJ may be dinged. Burkhead has proved he can run and catch in his NE days. Feels like HOU is going to play hard to the gun.

* J. Howard -- NYG, @WASH. Dinged now, but for whatever reason, the PHI coaching staff seems to hate Sanders. I'm hanging onto Howard.

* M. Ingram -- MIA, CAR. Hanging onto him in case Kamara's injury lingers or they throw in the towel late season.

Have my eyes on B. Scott to get a stranglehold on the PHI backfield, Abdullah, Lyndsay, Patterson, J. Jefferson.

And I hate to say it, P. Carroll will give Penny a shot late season after last night's dismal Collins/Dallas showing.

And I hate to say it, P. Carroll will give Penny a shot late season after last night's dismal Collins/Dallas showing.
I agree, Carroll's gotta be dying for that guy to do something, anything. But giving him a shot and Penny holding up to the task are two different things.

I’m a Brieda guy  - I picked him up before they week, and may have to give him a shot if Henderson misses this week. 

A name that should be on this list is Ronald Jones. He was dropped in quite a few leagues, but he now has a TD in 2 straight, and mop up duty for that offense can be a source of value. I expect the Bucs to get way way up on the Falcons, and Playoff Lenny might not see the field in the 4th quarter. If RoJo is out there and you’re in a pinch, it’s worth consideration. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Williams*

I’m a Brieda guy  - I picked him up before they week, and may have to give him a shot if Henderson misses this week. 

A name that should be on this list is Ronald Jones. He was dropped in quite a few leagues, but he now has a TD in 2 straight, and mop up duty for that offense can be a source of value. I expect the Bucs to get way way up on the Falcons, and Playoff Lenny might not see the field in the 4th quarter. If RoJo is out there and you’re in a pinch, it’s worth consideration. 

On RoJo, I actually am trying to trade for him as a Fournette owner. Petrified with all these RB injuries that Lenny is next.

That said, Gio would pick up the reception value I'd think.

Thinking of offering the Kamara owner Ingram for RoJo.

Certainly a topic of interest for me as most of my RB's are hurt right now. 

I'm eyeing Brieda for the short term. He has looked good the last 2 games while Singletary and Moss have struggled, plus I think the Bills are looking for anyone to step up in the run game. 

What are peoples thoughts on Austin Walter on the Jets? He went 9 for 38 and a TD, fluke? 

What about Godwin Igwebuike on Detroit? With Swift out, could he see some carries? Williams got the majority of the touches once Swift went down last week, but maybe they will work Igwebuike in more with some practices this week. 

On RoJo, I actually am trying to trade for him as a Fournette owner. Petrified with all these RB injuries that Lenny is next.

That said, Gio would pick up the reception value I'd think.

Thinking of offering the Kamara owner Ingram for RoJo.
That's the other side of it, for sure. "next man up"

Also the narrative all year seems to have been that Gio would be picking up value, but Gio hasn't looked good all year. They'd probably use Gio in obvious pass plays, but I'm not sure they'd use him over Jones on early downs if something happened to Lenny. 

What are peoples thoughts on Austin Walter on the Jets? He went 9 for 38 and a TD, fluke? 
I just don't trust the Jets offense to provide predictable or consistent value to offensive players. 

If I'm counting on a relatively unknown RB on the Jets, I've probably lost already. 

Looking at rookies, Nwangwu of MN was a top 10 drafted RB and the only one in that group that I have not heard anything about this season.
I'm curious about this guy as well. I am in a kick return league and he popped in weeks 9 and 12. He had one carry in each of those two games but has been statistically invisible otherwise.

I'm curious about this guy as well. I am in a kick return league and he popped in weeks 9 and 12. He had one carry in each of those two games but has been statistically invisible otherwise.
MN beats the heck out of their lead back no matter who it is.  I expect Mattison to get 20+ opportunities while Cook is down and maybe Nwangwu bumps up to 5-7 opportunities/game.

Ronald Jones has been effective the last few weeks. He's strictly handcuff insurance as Fournette has a stranglehold on the job but RoJo had a nice stretch last year as well.

Who’s that other rookie rb in Detroit?

It's highly unlikely Jemar Jefferson (7th round rookie) or Godwin Igwebuike (UDFA on his 6th team/converted from DB to RB this summer) ever become relevant this year. I don't think Swift will miss much time - one or none games if I had to guess - and Campbell will lean on the pedestrian veteran. However, in very limited opportunities, they have both looked great. 11-132-12.0-3 rushing the ball, 8-59 on 9 targets catching the ball. If Swift misses time, personally I'd like to see what they can do if D'Andre misses time. We know what Jamaal is, and it ain't nothing to get excited about.

But if Swift cannot go Sunday or misses additional time, it'll probably be a whole lotta 12-45 / 3-10 type stuff from Williams.

This may be slightly off topic, but is anyone targeting non-waiver wire RBs in trade understanding their team's schedules?

For example, David Montgomery went on a tear last year due to SOS. And this year, CHI's schedule looks favorable once again. This is an example of a player who hasn't knocked the cover off the ball, maybe could be had for cheaper than expected...but isn't on the waiver wire.

I'm eyeing Brieda for the short term. He has looked good the last 2 games while Singletary and Moss have struggled, plus I think the Bills are looking for anyone to step up in the run game. 
Breida looks interesting. On Thanksgiving night, he was getting a lot of touches early on but then was benched for a quarter and a half for missing a screen assignment. They put him back in during the 4Q and he responded with that screen TD (which obviously he *didn't* miss). The concerns are that Singletary seemed to have a fire lit under him and ran reasonably well in the second half. And the fact that Moss could very easily be activated and worked back in the mix.

Good topic. 

I'm in a PPR league, have clinched a bye and have been stockpiling RBs for the stretch run hoping one can pop. I'm looking at weeks 16 and 17 schedule as well.

Currently holding:

* Breida -- @NE, ATL. NE's minor weakness may be it's rush D. BUF a high powered offense, Breida has flashed, and the other two have done nothing.

* Burkhead -- LAC, @SF. DJ may be dinged. Burkhead has proved he can run and catch in his NE days. Feels like HOU is going to play hard to the gun.

* J. Howard -- NYG, @WASH. Dinged now, but for whatever reason, the PHI coaching staff seems to hate Sanders. I'm hanging onto Howard.

* M. Ingram -- MIA, CAR. Hanging onto him in case Kamara's injury lingers or they throw in the towel late season.

Have my eyes on B. Scott to get a stranglehold on the PHI backfield, Abdullah, Lyndsay, Patterson, J. Jefferson.

Penny would get injured reading this thread 

I mean Hilliard has all the makings of a guy coming out of nowhere and winning fantasy leagues. Does he not? I know Foreman ran well and McNichols will come back but its hard to ignore this guy's last two games. Im stashing.

Seems like a lot of that was in garbage time, but no question he's got a lot more juice than Gaskin ever has. Seems like Flores trusts Gaskin though, which is what matters.
That's not what I am seeing..  If you watch the clock, there's a lot of carries while the game is still competitive.  And I agree that Gaskin had been the trusted hand - but that was over Ahmed and Brown.

Must add to me if you are carrying a slouch - and most people are 

This may be slightly off topic, but is anyone targeting non-waiver wire RBs in trade understanding their team's schedules?

For example, David Montgomery went on a tear last year due to SOS. And this year, CHI's schedule looks favorable once again. This is an example of a player who hasn't knocked the cover off the ball, maybe could be had for cheaper than expected...but isn't on the waiver wire.
Dunno if he is disqualified from this discussion due to him flashing already but K Herbert?

Breida looks interesting. On Thanksgiving night, he was getting a lot of touches early on but then was benched for a quarter and a half for missing a screen assignment. They put him back in during the 4Q and he responded with that screen TD (which obviously he *didn't* miss). The concerns are that Singletary seemed to have a fire lit under him and ran reasonably well in the second half. And the fact that Moss could very easily be activated and worked back in the mix.
Yeah, Breida was my #1 priority and I got beat to him.  Had Scott as my #2.  I was really upset at first, but after letting it sink in I think I like Scott more.  At least for this week.

I'm torn. I have Mark Ingram and Donta Foreman on my bench, but Brieda and Boston Scott (and Jordan Howard) are out there on WW. Tempted to flip them out, but also waiting for news on Kamara and hoping either Dalvin Cook or Darren Waller are officially ruled as Out so I can put them on my IR without having to drop someone. 

Is Scott, Brieda, or Howard worth adding to drop Ingram or Foreman? For what it is worth, I will likely start Ingram if Kamara is out, because I have Cook and Carter out and Foreman on bye. Only other option is Damian Harris to start with Montgomery. 

Will Cook be ruled Out when they practice today? 

I'm torn. I have

Mark Ingram

and

Donta Foreman

on my bench, but Brieda and

Boston Scott

(and

Jordan Howard

) are out there on WW. Tempted to flip them out, but also waiting for news on

Kamara

and hoping either

Dalvin Cook

or

Darren Waller

are officially ruled as Out so I can put them on my IR without having to drop someone. 

Is

Scott

, Brieda, or

Howard

worth adding to drop

Ingram

or

Foreman

? For what it is worth, I will likely start

Ingram

if

Kamara

is out, because I have

Cook

and

Carter

out and

Foreman

on bye. Only other option is Damian

Harris

to start with

Montgomery

Will

Cook

be ruled Out when they practice today? 
I would hold on to what you have, Kamara might be declared out making Ingram RB2 w/upside and Foreman is the guy. Both are higher to me. Bills RB spot against NE seems tough draw to me and I think Brieda operates like Moss but with higher ceiling when the fantasy points settle(he got bailed out last week with a receiving TD wk 12). 

My entire RB crew is either injured or has a week 14 bye and the waiver wire has been picked clean. Threw an early dart at ABDULLAH, AMEER CAR. Hoping he at least gets passing down work going forward.

I mean Hilliard has all the makings of a guy coming out of nowhere and winning fantasy leagues. Does he not? I know Foreman ran well and McNichols will come back but its hard to ignore this guy's last two games. Im stashing.
If his usage / opportunity falls off a cliff I will cut bait quickly but I'm holding until it does.

Users who are viewing this thread