What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jahmyr Gibbs, DET (4 Viewers)

Former Georgia Tech freshman RB Jahmyr Gibbs has committed to Alabama.

Gibbs (5'11/200) heading to Alabama is sure to catch the attention of college football fans, after the no. 8 ranked running back from the 2020 recruiting class per 247Sports' composite rankings now brings two years of collegiate experience with him to Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide. As a true freshman in 2020, Gibbs rushed 89 times for 467 yards and four touchdowns, but saw the lion's share of the touches for Georgia Tech in 2021, rushing 143 times for 746 yards and another four scores. Per Pro Football Focus' advanced stats, Gibbs has forced 69 missed tackles on 232 career rushing attempts, breaking one or more tackles on 29.7% of his career carries. This season, he was one of the highest-graded running backs on PFF's website, received an overall grade of 88.3, with a rushing grade of 86.2. Gibbs has also contributed in the passing game, catching 36-of-43 passes for 470 yards and two touchdowns in 2021, while catching another 23 passes for 301 yards and three scores in 2020. Gibbs should have a chance to make an immediate impact for Bama in 2022 with redshirt senior running back Brian Robinson heading for the NFL at the end of the this season, as he has already accepted a Senior Bowl invite.

SOURCE: SI.com

Dec 21, 2021, 3:21 PM ET

The Draft Network's Joe Marino has Alabama sophomore RB Jahmyr Gibbs as the second running back in his way too early mock draft.

The running back position is one that doesn't often go in the first round anymore. They do make the top-32 when they are special. Gibbs (5'11/200) fits the bill and Marino agrees, sending him to the Houston Texans at pick 23. He writes "Gibbs has been among college football’s best-kept secrets at Georgia Tech but transferred to Alabama. He won’t be under the radar for much longer." With a special season for the Crimson Tide, Gibbs has the potential to go in the first round.

SOURCE: The Draft Network

May 9, 2022, 9:20 PM ET

Alabama sophomore RB Jahmyr Gibbs has been a reliable player out of the backfield.

Gibbs (5'11/200) should prove a solid pickup for the Alabama Crimson Tide based on his track record to this point. According to Pro Football Focus, Gibbs is the only running back in the nation post a 90+ receiving grade in each of the past two seasons. Gibbs, called one of "college football's best-kept secrets" has a chance to expand upon his success after leaving Georgia Tech and could potential be a first-round pick.

May 21, 2022, 6:50 PM ET

Alabama sophomore RB Jahmyr Gibbs has been reliable as a pass-catcher.

Gibbs (5'11/200) is among the modern-era running backs who are solid both running the ball and catching it out of the backfield. According to Pro Football Focus, Gibbs has been among the most reliable in the country regarding the latter. He posts the second-lowest drop rate among Power Five running backs since 2020, with a rate of 1.6%. That puts him behind only Kyle McIntosh of UGA (0.0%) and ahead of Travis Dye of USC (1.7%). It will be interesting to see how he keeps that up moving forward.

Jun 7, 2022, 7:43 PM ET

Alabama junior RB Jahmyr Gibbs rushed nine times for 22 yards while adding nine receptions for 74 yards and one touchdown in Saturday's 20-19 win over Texas.​

Gibbs did most of his damage through the air in this one, leading all Bama receivers in receptions, yards and touchdowns. His lone score on the day came on a seven-yard touchdown pass to put the Tide up 17-16 in the fourth quarter, while his biggest play came on a 23-yard gain on the game's first possession to help set up an Alabama field goal. Gibbs has just 18 carries for 115 yards through two games this season, and will likely see limited time next week in what should be a blowout win over Louisiana-Monroe.
Sep 10, 2022, 5:05 PM ET

Alabama junior RB Jahmyr Gibbs rushed nine times for 22 yards while adding nine receptions for 74 yards and one touchdown in Saturday's 20-19 win over Texas.​

Gibbs did most of his damage through the air in this one, leading all Bama receivers in receptions, yards and touchdowns. His lone score on the day came on a seven-yard touchdown pass to put the Tide up 17-16 in the fourth quarter, while his biggest play came on a 23-yard gain on the game's first possession to help set up an Alabama field goal. Gibbs has just 18 carries for 115 yards through two games this season, and will likely see limited time next week in what should be a blowout win over Louisiana-Monroe.
The receptions are nice, but that 9/22 is fugly.

Agreed -- it's a very bad ground performance. But (1) it's a super small sample size (or as I like to call "the old quadruple S"), and (2) just a for-instance from a fantasy perspective based on his game type, if I had Kamara on my fantasy roster and you told me in advance that his rushing numbers would be 9-22-0, I'm starting him.

I didn’t see the game, but the numbers often don’t tell the real story. Did Gibbs have any room to get loose? It sounds like this was a defensive struggle.
He really didn't. Other than McClellan slipping through for an 81 yard TD run, Texas did a great job stifling the running game. But he looked terrific as a receiver. A matchup problem for sure. He was Bama's best target today.

I didn’t see the game, but the numbers often don’t tell the real story. Did Gibbs have any room to get loose? It sounds like this was a defensive struggle.
He really didn't. Other than McClellan slipping through for an 81 yard TD run, Texas did a great job stifling the running game. But he looked terrific as a receiver. A matchup problem for sure. He was Bama's best target today.
He’s next level as a receiver.

Alabama junior RB Jahmyr Gibbs rushed 18 times for 206 yards and two touchdowns in a 49-26 victory over Arkansas.​

OC Bill O'Brien (yes, that Bill O'Brien) was forced to lean on Gibbs (5'11/200) after Heisman Trophy winner Bryce Young left the game with a shoulder injury. Gibbs was up to the task, ripping off touchdown runs of 72 and 76-yards with both of those explosive plays coming in the fourth quarter to seal the game for Bama. Despite lack of ideal size, he is similar in stature to Buffalo Bills 2022 second-round RB James Cook, Gibbs possesses elite acceleration and elusiveness despite not being used between the tackles on a 20-carry per game basis thus far in his career. Gibbs is a dynamic all-purpose back who excels in the receiving game and almost impossible to tackle one-on-one in space. He is currently being ranked as the consensus Devy/Dynasty RB3 from the 2023 NFL Draft Class.
Oct 2, 2022, 12:12 AM ET

Hasn’t he basically been 1.02 this entire season?
Maybe, I'm not sure. I was kind of waiting to see if a WR would be the man. One did emerge as the man, but Harrison Jr isn't eligible yet.
He played his way into the 1.2, for me at least, during the course of the season and in fact did so awhile ago.But saying he's been 1.2 the entire season is to me saying he entered the year before ever taking a snap in that spot and that is not something I agree with.

Maybe, I'm not sure. I was kind of waiting to see if a WR would be the man. One did emerge as the man, but Harrison Jr isn't eligible yet.
He played his way into the 1.2, for me at least, during the course of the season and in fact did so awhile ago.But saying he's been 1.2 the entire season is to me saying he entered the year before ever taking a snap in that spot and that is not something I agree with.
I think it was between Gibbs and JSN prior to the season for most (non SF)

I think it was between Gibbs and JSN prior to the season for most (non SF
Maybe I'm wrong but that feels a little revisionist history to me. I just don't recall feeling Gibbs was clearly above Zach Evans, at least that's not how I saw it nor did I ever put JSN in that cateogry. He'll be a first round pick but he won't go as high as his teammates last year.

I would say he took the mantle pretty early and it has remained that way.

I think it was between Gibbs and JSN prior to the season for most (non SF)
So just for reference sake I just pulled out my copy of Phil Steele's preview, which he does not put out till late summer and I think you are right and I must have been living in my own world. I've had Gibbs as the clear cut #2 since a few weeks into the season but looking at his draft rankings that's where he had it before the season, and he was not so high on Zach Evans who in my world was neck and neck with Gibbs coming in. He does not sort as a whole but by position and JSN was his #1WR, and mine as well, but I thought Boutte was close.

I would say he took the mantle pretty early and it has remained that way.
This is how I recall it personally but maybe I was just late to the party. ETA-meaning to say I did not have him as consensus 1.2 before the season. But after a few weeks I started obsessing on getting 1.1 or 1.2.

Last edited:
I have picks 1.01, 1.03 and 1.04. Really excited about potentially adding him and Bijan to a completely barren RB room.

I posted the other day in the trade thread that I dealt Tyreek for 1.2. It's far from set in stone I'll be picking Gibbs but it's fair to say he was the impetus for that trade, I'd not have done it if he was not part of the draft, would have at least waited.

I love him. I don't think he'll ever be a bellcow but what he does well is off the charts exceptional, probably funnest highlights of a player I can recall in past few years. Which is NOT a good way to scout, just saying he's extremely fun to watch and hopefully have a vested rooting interest one day.

View attachment 3362
Dane Brugler
@dpbrugler

Replying to
@PfeifferWM
Gibbs is a special pass-catcher - he should see 7-10 targets a game. I used weapon bc he can line up in the slot and be used across the formation. Not just a traditional back.
So was Kenny Gainwell :shrug:
This is exactly what I think when I hear about Gibbs.
Are you thinking this when you are watching Gibbs? To me they are both space backs and that's were the similarity ends.

View attachment 3362
Dane Brugler
@dpbrugler

Replying to
@PfeifferWM
Gibbs is a special pass-catcher - he should see 7-10 targets a game. I used weapon bc he can line up in the slot and be used across the formation. Not just a traditional back.
So was Kenny Gainwell :shrug:
This is exactly what I think when I hear about Gibbs.
Are you thinking this when you are watching Gibbs? To me they are both space backs and that's were the similarity ends.
I haven't seen him.

Just for reference, I'll use Dane Bruglers take on Gainwell coming out since he's the guy whose quote people are referring to.

Whereas he refers to Gibbs as a special pass catcher in his writeup on Gainwell he referred to him as having "above average skills" in the passing game. And he was not low on Gainwell, had him as a projected 2-3rd round guy so he was higher on them then where he went. He has Gibbs as a first round player fwiw. I'd say maybe to that, this is not an easy year to do that especially as the likely second RB drafted. Gibbs is saying he will run in the low 4.3's, will need to be in that range to have a shot.

Just for reference, I'll use Dane Bruglers take on Gainwell coming out since he's the guy whose quote people are referring to.

Whereas he refers to Gibbs as a special pass catcher in his writeup on Gainwell he referred to him as having "above average skills" in the passing game. And he was not low on Gainwell, had him as a projected 2-3rd round guy so he was higher on them then where he went. He has Gibbs as a first round player fwiw. I'd say maybe to that, this is not an easy year to do that especially as the likely second RB drafted. Gibbs is saying he will run in the low 4.3's, will need to be in that range to have a shot.Gai
Gainwell would have been a 2nd round pick had he not sat out because multiple members of his family died of COVID.

Whereas he refers to Gibbs as a special pass catcher in his writeup on Gainwell he referred to him as having "above average skills" in the passing game. And he was not low on Gainwell, had him as a projected 2-3rd round guy so he was higher on them then where he went. He has Gibbs as a first round player fwiw. I'd say maybe to that, this is not an easy year to do that especially as the likely second RB drafted. Gibbs is saying he will run in the low 4.3's, will need to be in that range to have a shot.Gai
Gainwell would have been a 2nd round pick had he not sat out because multiple members of his family died of COVID.
That's fair to think, wrong IMO to assume to be true. I personally think third round was his high mark with or without COVID. I mean it sure did not impact a lot of other people's draft stocks to that degree but I recall you pushing some Gainwell hype last off-season. I don't see anything special about him, never have. Good and I also thought he'd get drafted higher, but nothing special.

Obviously impossible to say now but I seriously doubt it would’ve been a full three-round difference between where he was drafted. That’s an enormous disparity.

I mean, Chase sat out as well and was still the 5th overall pick. JSN essentially just sat out the whole season and he’ll still be taken in the 1st round in the upcoming draft.

I think more of Gainwell’s physical attributes come into play as he was only 185’ish lbs coming out of college and reports that could not gain more muscle to hit 200-205 range to be more “impactful” to why he fell.
Not sure how much of this is accurate but I do recall that concern being reported

Users who are viewing this thread