What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Zach Evans, LAR (1 Viewer)

Mississippi RB Zach Evans has led the Power Five in yards after contact since 2020.

Evans (5'9"/200) was one of the bigger names to enter the transfer portal over the past couple of months after a standout season at TCU. While 648 rushing yards don’t jump off the page, he got that by averaging 7.0 yards in 2021 and is averaging 7.3 yards per carry the past two seasons. With that force and power, it looks like he could go through a brick wall like paper. He’s bringing his P5 leading 4.8 after contact since 2020 to the SEC as he transferred over to Mississippi. It’s going to be fun to watch him in one of the better defensive conferences in the country and see if he’s ready to play on Sundays.

SOURCE: PFF College

Jun 25, 2022, 1:00 PM ET

According to Pro Football Focuses Mike Renner, Mississippi RB Zach Evans is one of the early leaders in the 2023 NFL Draft running back rankings.

Evans (5'9/200) has just 146 carries in his collegiate career, but he's made them count. In two seasons at TCU, he's averaging 7.3 yards per attempt — including 4.8 after contact. A really good 2021 that unfortunately ended prematurely due to a toe injury got him the opportunity to come over to the SEC and play the lead back role for the Rebels. He has that dual-threat ability where in 2021 he caught ten passes but averaged 13 yards per catch. He has a great opportunity to excel in Lane Kiffin's that loves these types of players.

SOURCE: PFF

Jun 12, 2022, 10:49 AM ET

The Athletic's NFL Draft analyst Dane Brugler ranks Ole Miss junior RB Zach Evans as the second-best running back who is eligible for the 2023 NFL Draft. 

Brugler cites Evans' (5'9/200) gaudy 7.3 yards per carry average over his first two seasons as evidence of his explosiveness. About Evans' ability, Brugler writes "He pairs his vision with his athletic skill to make the first man miss and weave through the defense, eliminating pursuit angles along the way." He cites the talented tailback's reliability as being his biggest question, as Evans had a dramatic recruitment and had some disciplinary issues at TCU before his departure. If he can avoid another ailment like his turf toe issue in 2021, Evans could put up huge numbers in HC Lane Kiffin's potent up-tempo offense. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 19, 2022, 2:27 PM ET

Ole Miss junior RB Zach Evans rushed 20 times for 130 yards in a 28-10 win over Troy on Saturday.​

While Evans (6'0/215) was facing a Group of Five defense that Ole Miss is expected to overpower, logging 20 carries is an important step for Evans who has only reached that plateau once in his two previous seasons at TCU. Though he hasn't been particularly reliable, the former five-star prospect has been sensational on a per-play basis averaging 7.3 yards per carry and 4.84 yards after contact (14th in FBS last year) over 146 carries. It's clear that if HC Lane Kiffin is going to give him 20 carries against Troy, then Evans will see a full workload when SEC play rolls around. Texas RB Bijan Robinson is the unquestioned top running back from the 2023 NFL Draft class, but Evans could solidify himself as the RB2 if he can stay healthy.
Sep 6, 2022, 4:52 PM ET

Ole Miss junior RB Zach Evans rushed 20 times for 130 yards in a 28-10 victory over Troy.​

While Evans (6'0/215) was facing a Group of Five defense that Ole Miss is expected to overpower, logging 20 carries is an important step for Evans who has only reached that plateau once in his two previous seasons at TCU. Though he hasn't been particularly reliable, the former five-star prospect has been sensational on a per-play basis averaging 7.3 yards per carry and 4.84 yards after contact (14th in FBS last year) over 146 carries. It's clear that if HC Lane Kiffin is going to give him 20 carries against Troy, then Evans will see a full workload when SEC play rolls around. Texas RB Bijan Robinson is the unquestioned top running back from the 2023 NFL Draft class, but Evans could solidify himself as the RB2 if he can stay healthy.
Sep 3, 2022, 10:10 PM ET

NFL Draft News and Rumors: Michigan Duo Mazi Smith, Mike Morris Mulling Draft Decision, and Ole Miss RB Zach Evans to Return?

Excerpt:

Zach Evans, Ole Miss

Several weeks ago, I reported Ole Miss running back Zach Evans would enter the draft. The latest I’m hearing is that Evans received third-round grades from scouts, the same round I have him on my board. Evans is not happy with those opinions.

He is debating a return to Ole Miss with the hopes of improving his draft grade. While that’s good news for the Rebels, it doesn’t make a lot of sense as Evans will not project as a first-round prospect in 2024.

The profile is 6'0" 215 on Zach Evans. Who believes this is accurate? I hope the hell it is, because I do have one share in a DEVY league.

The profile is 6'0" 215 on Zach Evans. Who believes this is accurate? I hope the hell it is, because I do have one share in a DEVY league.
Last I saw was 6’ 220

The combine is going to love this kid. I would not be surprised to see him slotted top 6 even in Superflex drafts.

ETA - wow voice to text almost got me suspended there. :lol:

Last edited:
Last I saw was 6’ 220

The combine is going to love this kid. I would not be surprised to see him slaughtered top sex, even in Superflex drafts.
I've never seen a profile that big (220). Got a link of a reputable site? Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he's closer to 200 than 220. It will all come out in the wash at the combine, unless he decides not to attend.

Last I saw was 6’ 220

The combine is going to love this kid. I would not be surprised to see him slaughtered top sex, even in Superflex drafts.
I've never seen a profile that big (220). Got a link of a reputable site? Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he's closer to 200 than 220. It will all come out in the wash at the combine, unless he decides not to attend.
It was a rando fan on twitter.

If he comes in anywhere between 5’11-6’ and 210-220 that’s a great profile.

Last I saw was 6’ 220

Sure, but I have my doubts

Last I saw was 6’ 220

Sure, but I have my doubts
He looks pretty solid to me - I am more concerned with Gibbs weigh-in & landing spot.

Feel like Evans & Tucker can walk into any RB room and immediately be a 3-down back, including short yardage.

Gibbs is a tier above those guys (and 1 below Bijan) but absolutely must land in a situation where he can have that Kamara rushing/receiving role. The Eagles have been the spot many have mocked him to date, with Sanders departing. If that happens, I wouldn't be surprised to see him going top 3 just behind Bijan/Young.

But if Gibbs landing spot isn't desirable, I would be more than willing to trade down to 5-6 at a profit, and take Evans instead of taking Gibbs top 4-5. Evans has the tools and size to be an up the gut NFL back, and is quick enough to take it to the outside. He's not a bad receiver, IIRC.

Will be interesting to see what his 40 speed clocks at.

Have a feeling he is staying in school. Was said to be leaning towards not coming out early since NFL gave him a 3rd round grade. Fact that he is playing in bowl game is another indication that he might be returning to Ole Miss. Although Judkins will get even more carries next year, so not sure Evans would help his stock by putting it off a year.

Although Judkins will get even more carries next year, so not sure Evans would help his stock by putting it off a year.
Yeah, this is why I expected him to come out this year. I haven’t seen a lot of chatter to the contrary.

As for playing in bowl games, there are quite a few players coming out who are playing, so I don’t really see that as evidence one way or the other.

This will be an interesting one to watch.

Have a feeling he is staying in school. Was said to be leaning towards not coming out early since NFL gave him a 3rd round grade. Fact that he is playing in bowl game is another indication that he might be returning to Ole Miss. Although Judkins will get even more carries next year, so not sure Evans would help his stock by putting it off a year.
Judkins

Hopefully Kiffin will showcase him tonight as a thank you for transfering to Ole Miss. If he has a big game I think he declares. My only concern with him is he seems to get nicked up, and isn't near as explosive when he tries to play through it. I was concerned about the "idiot" factor early on, but he seems to have cleaned up his image over the last couple of years. He'll blow up the combine, someone will fall in love with him.

Hopefully Kiffin will showcase him tonight as a thank you for transfering to Ole Miss. If he has a big game I think he declares. My only concern with him is he seems to get nicked up, and isn't near as explosive when he tries to play through it. I was concerned about the "idiot" factor early on, but he seems to have cleaned up his image over the last couple of years. He'll blow up the combine, someone will fall in love with him.
Yep. He’ll destroy the combine. I still really like him. If he declares he’ll probably still be my RB3 after Bijan and Gibbs. I think if he has a 100 yards in the bowl he’ll probably still declare.

A lot has been made about Judkins outplaying him but I’m not sure if that’s a big of an indictment as it’s been made out to be. Judkins is obviously a much better player than anyone thought he would be. He’s the early favorite for RB1 in 2025.

Agree with the bolded. It was kind of between-the-lines in what he said about his reasons for playing. It sounds like he wants to 1. be there for his team, but more subtly, 2. ball out for the scouts & try to bump his draft stock.

A good game tonight and he might be a 2nd rounder - which, IMO would be enough for him to declare.

And I completely agree with the 2nd bolded. Kid is toolsy. He's gonna be an underwear olympics champ.

Yep. He’ll destroy the combine. I still really like him. If he declares he’ll probably still be my RB3 after Bijan and Gibbs. I think if he has a 100 yards in the bowl he’ll probably still declare.

A lot has been made about Judkins outplaying him but I’m not sure if that’s a big of an indictment as it’s been made out to be. Judkins is obviously a much better player than anyone thought he would be. He’s the early favorite for RB1 in 2025.
People looking at Judkins as a reason to downgrade Evans is just being lazy. Evans is the real deal, but there can't be any surprises about his weight coming into the combine. The profile's shown are almost never accurate.

People looking at Judkins as a reason to downgrade Evans is just being lazy. Evans is the real deal, but there can't be any surprises about his weight coming into the combine. The profile's shown are almost never accurate.
I was always confused by the weight concerns being discussed about Evans. All of the sites I follow had him between 212-215 pounds since his freshman year. I think Brugler's "200 pound" text was probably a typo. 247sports spoke of his prototypical RB height/weight as early as his freshman year (listed at 215 then, it's at 212 now).

I was always confused by the weight concerns being discussed about Evans. All of the sites I follow had him between 212-215 pounds since his freshman year. I think Brugler's "200 pound" text was probably a typo. 247sports spoke of his prototypical RB height/weight as early as his freshman year (listed at 215 then, it's at 212 now).
Interestingly, dynastyleaguefootball has him at 5'11", 195, which would be concerning.

They were pretty accurate with last year's players.

Interestingly, dynastyleaguefootball has him at 5'11", 195, which would be concerning.

I went back and looked at the 247 site and the 2020 college RB rankings showed Evans at 200, on the ranking page. When you go to his page, it's been updated to 212. I'm pretty sure it was updated to 215 last year. He looks 210+ to me, but I guess we will see.

Edited to add Bijan Robinson was also listed at 200 on the 2020 rankings page, but is shown at 215 on his updated page.

I went back and looked at the 247 site and the 2020 college RB rankings showed Evans at 200, on the ranking page. When you go to his page, it's been updated to 212. I'm pretty sure it was updated to 215 last year. He looks 210+ to me, but I guess we will see.

Edited to add Bijan Robinson was also listed at 200 on the 2020 rankings page, but is shown at 215 on his updated page.
IMO Bijan definitely looks like he’s added weight.

I didn’t follow Evans too much early on to notice if he looks bigger. Combine will tell the tale if he declares.

He looks notably bigger than Gibbs imo.
A lot of people shied away from Kamara because they thought he was too light and that is his comp. I've been burned too many times by light RBs that never got to the point where they were getting over 10 carries a game. In general I want to stay away from them, but every now and then ..........

Got an early TD already.

Btw, he looks well over 200 lbs to my eyes.
He’s definitely solidly built.

One thing worth noting. If he comes in at 5’10-5’11”, he might not have to be 215 a little more compact would be preferred, and at that height, 205-210 makes for a nice profile.

but every now and then ..........
If Gibbs goes to PHI to replace Sanders, as some predict, imma be on him like a fat kid on a Ho Ho.

Otherwise I’m weary, pending landing spot. It’s gonna take an imaginative coach to use him like Kamara. High risk he becomes a 3rd down / COP back somewhere else.

If Gibbs goes to PHI to replace Sanders, as some predict, imma be on him like a fat kid on a Ho Ho.
Funny I would view that as one of the worst places he could land. Needs to be in a situation that passes to Rb's more often then Philly IMO. Plus Jalen Hurts is a ball hog near the goal line.
I just feel like the Eagles would scheme him correctly.

He needs to be with a creative coach.

Sanders is having a lot of success with Hurts opening up lanes on RPOs. But I agree that he needs an offense that’ll get the ball to the RB in space.

What’s your ideal landing spot for him?

Off the top of my head I think I'd go with the Dolphins. The speed of those WR's on the outside, creative coach, not tough comp, Tua(if he plays) wanting to get the ball out quickly. Seems kind of perfect to me.

I got one league left I got a shot at pick 1 or 2 but way that works is if I don't get I revert back to pick 6. I'm in 9 dynasty leagues and for certain the other 8 I'll be picking 5 or later. So selfishly speaking, since odds are I could not touch him if he landed in a place like Miami, I would find the Chargers as ideal on notion people would be turned off by Ekeler's prescence and then maybe I could get him at 5/6 as I'd not at all mind waiting.

Funny I would view that as one of the worst places he could land. Needs to be in a situation that passes to Rb's more often then Philly IMO. Plus Jalen Hurts is a ball hog near the goal line.

Sanders is having a lot of success with Hurts opening up lanes on RPOs. But I agree that he needs an offense that’ll get the ball to the RB in space.

I thought you guys were talking about Evans, but you were talking about Gibbs. Funny how we do that ;)

I thought you guys were talking about Evans, but you were talking about Gibbs. Funny how we do that ;)
Someone else made the comparison to Gibbs & a side-bar convo started.

Sorry - back to Evans.

Sorry - back to Evans.
no big deal, I just didn't go back far enough to realize it was Gibbs and not Evans.

Sorry - back to Evans.
no big deal, I just didn't go back far enough to realize it was Gibbs and not Evans.
Did Evans impress you last night?

Size looked good, but he didn’t have a lot of volume.

8/37
4/26
1 TD

Judkins did most of the heavy lifting in this one.

Sorry - back to Evans.

8/37
4/26
1 TD

I don’t really understand Ole Miss.

Evans was running well early, and had the nice 8-yard td. Judkins was averaging under 2 YPC for a good chunk of the game until he broke off a couple 20 yard runs but I only remember Evans getting like 2 carries in the second half.

I’m honestly a little perplexed about his usage all year.

Sorry - back to Evans.

8/37
4/26
1 TD

I didn't watch the game.

Sorry - back to Evans.

8/37
4/26
1 TD

I didn't watch the game.
I liked what I saw, but as @JoeJoe88 said, they leaned on him early then completely went away from him despite looking better than Judkins.

Sorry - back to Evans.

8/37
4/26
1 TD

I didn't watch the game.
Me either. Recorded and will watch later but I'm a Razorback and with my mom and sister in town and after that game they were footballed out. (as a side note thank god for this message board, this board is saving me from soap opera/Lifetime misery. It's rough)

As for Evans usage I got zero idea. He had some injuries earlier in the year and perhaps it's a mutual decision between Kiffin and Evans to not run him into the ground? Just spitballing, no idea for sure.

He should definitely declare. I don’t see how he improves his draft stock when he’s the 2nd best RB on his own team.
I’m not sure that’s true - Judkins was barely doing anything, 1-2 YPC, but had a few long runs.

Evans was picking up chunks and had a better YPC.

Evans is a very good RB.

But I do agree that staying in school won’t help Evans draft stock, barring injury to Judkins.

Users who are viewing this thread