What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Rashee Rice, KC (3 Viewers)

(I wonder if the insurance is going to cover this considering the speeds/racing and leaving the scene).
As he was the only one authorized to drive either car, and as he was involved in a speed contest, and moreover one resulting in injury, the answer here is a resounding no.

Insurance companies aren’t rich by paying out for people’s stupidity - they have so many out clauses to avoid payment, and Rice provided them with any number to choose from.

From a financial standpoint he’s hosed.
I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about how insurance works and different plans and coverages....but I think we are kind of forgetting in this thread that there was another driver involved....the one driving Rice's car....and he has some responsibility here too that may factor in somehow someway....while the car was registered to Rice, that doesn't mean he is the only one that can drive/borrow it and some policies may have language around that and how things are covered....the other driver's insurance, etc. could come into play....I don't know, maybe I am wrong....I guess what I am saying is that there is another individual at fault here and I'm not sure how that will all factor in...

Last edited:
The accident happened Saturday, 30 Mar, at approximately 6:20pm Central Standard Time
Rice's attorney issued a statement on Monday, 1 Apr, saying "Rashee is cooperating with local authorities and will take all necessary steps to address this situation responsibly"
Rashee posted on Instagram that he met with Dallas PD investigators on Wednesday, 3 Apr

What I am wondering is when, for the first time, Rice actually had to answer any questions from law enforcement? And were some of those questions...
- Why did you all flee?
- What was in the bag your pal was carrying?
- Were you sober at the time?
- Who was driving both cars?
I would imagine he didn't answer any of these but I'll take a shot
* we were scared
*none of your business....or....leftovers from lunch
*yes
*I was driving one...my friend X was driving the other

(I wonder if the insurance is going to cover this considering the speeds/racing and leaving the scene).
As he was the only one authorized to drive either car, and as he was involved in a speed contest, and moreover one resulting in injury, the answer here is a resounding no.

Insurance companies aren’t rich by paying out for people’s stupidity - they have so many out clauses to avoid payment, and Rice provided them with any number to choose from.

From a financial standpoint he’s hosed.
I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about how insurance works and different plans and coverages....but I think we are kind of forgetting in this thread that there was another driver involved....the one driving Rice's car....and he has some responsibility here too that may factor in somehow someway....while the car was registered to Rice, that doesn't mean he is the only one that can drive/borrow it and some policies may have language around that and how things are covered....the other driver's insurance, etc. could come into play....I don't know, maybe I am wrong....I guess what I am saying is that there is another individual at fault here and I'm not sure how that will all factor in...
Won't change who they will be suing unless both guys are rich

Won't change who they will be suing unless both guys are rich
Bingo. Very rarely is anyone in the entourage wealthy/successful.

He'll be in the most legal jeopardy, because he won't be able to pay his way out with expensive attorneys. So in that light, he's probably more hosed than Rice.

has any player in recent memory faced up to 8 felonies with this light atmosphere of "it'll just be a few games"
Yeah, I hope he gets a very long suspension. I understand the immaturity of racing down the highway, but I cannot get past fleeing the scene. Once he did that, any talk of him feeling bad, taking full responsibility, or cooperating with law enforcement is complete *********. I hope the next headline is "Fried Rice".

has any player in recent memory faced up to 8 felonies with this light atmosphere of "it'll just be a few games"
This is where the NFL loses me on their personal conduct discipline policy. Different jurisdictions and DAs can often over or under charge an offense. In a hypothetical situation, if the same crime occurs in two different locations, I don't feel what the player was charged with should impact the NFLs suspension. That said, I know it does...

This is where the NFL loses me on their personal conduct discipline policy. Different jurisdictions and DAs can often over or under charge an offense. In a hypothetical situation, if the same crime occurs in two different locations, I don't feel what the player was charged with should impact the NFLs suspension. That said, I know it does...
Do you have an example where two players (one over one undercharged) committed a similar offense (from the NFL's perspective) and the one with the overcharge got a more severe NFL suspension?

Do you have an example where two players (one over one undercharged) committed a similar offense (from the NFL's perspective) and the one with the overcharge got a more severe NFL suspension?
Nothing that is apples to apples.

If we take Jalen Carter's incident as an example. He wasn't in the NFL at the time so its not the same, but he was street racing, speeding, left the scene of an accident where someone died and only received a citation for his actions. Point being Carter and Rice did roughly the same thing. Carter's events had a more serious result, but a less severe legal outcome. How would the NFL have reacted? longer suspension... lesser? I don't know. My gripe is that if this is the "NFL's" personal conduct policy, the charges or lack of charges shouldn't be a factor, but they are.

Or look at Jordan Addison's speeding. He did 140 mph in a 55. He was lucky not be charged with a more serious offense. That action was deemed not suspension worthy. Is that just the norm for the NFL now?

Or look at Jordan Addison's speeding. He did 140 mph in a 55. He was lucky not be charged with a more serious offense. That action was deemed not suspension worthy. Is that just the norm for the NFL now?

Addison didnt flee, didn't cause bodily harm to others and didnt leave w (probably) drugs and guns w his crew.

Not remotely similar, just plain dumb.

If we take Jalen Carter's incident as an example. He wasn't in the NFL at the time so its not the same, but he was street racing, speeding, left the scene of an accident where someone died and only received a citation for his actions. Point being Carter and Rice did roughly the same thing. Carter's events had a more serious result, but a less severe legal outcome. How would the NFL have reacted? longer suspension... lesser? I don't know. My gripe is that if this is the "NFL's" personal conduct policy, the charges or lack of charges shouldn't be a factor, but they are.

So you don't have evidence that the NFL won't use discretion, you just assume they won't?

I don't see Addison and Rice as the same thing. Yes, Addison and Rice were both idiots, but wrecking, causing harm and running, are significantly more than just speeding.

Addison didnt flee, didn't cause bodily harm to others and didnt leave w (probably) drugs and guns w his crew.

Not remotely similar, just plain dumb.
Addison didn't flee, but 140 is reckless and by definition put others in harms way. Because the police didn't press charges doesn't mean his actions should be acceptable.

So you don't have evidence that the NFL won't use discretion, you just assume they won't?

I don't see Addison and Rice as the same thing. Yes, Addison and Rice were both idiots, but wrecking, causing harm and running, are significantly more than just speeding.
I don't think the NFL is consistent.

The point of my post was in reply to the idea that 8 felonies = longer suspension.

If the DA reduces the charges should his suspension be reduced? It probably would be and that's why I'm critical of how the NFL handles punishment.

Speeding is different than racing/stunt driving and reckless driving. Then add in injuries due to racing (possibly felony) and then fleeing the scene.

Anyways....

In a way I’m glad, as I’m not that enthusiastic about investing in a knucklehead.
Kind of where I am, but I did get a good enough price to acquire him and will look to trade him during our rookie draft for the right deal. Hard to root for a player I dislike, which is why I never have Seahawks on my teams. Will draft them but always trade them before the season starts. (y)

My recent attempts to buy low (or even high) on Rice failed.

In a way I’m glad, as I’m not that enthusiastic about investing in a knucklehead.
If I put my personal feelings aside (he's an idiot for putting peoples lives at risk) I think there is still value in trying to acquire Rice if these things end up true:

• His suspension is 6 games or less - If it is 8+ games that is more than half the season and KC needs to find an alternative.
  • If KC doesn't spend significant draft capital on a WR (first round pick).
The one thing going for Rice is he played well down the stretch and his YAC started to show up. It is hard for rookies to make an immediate impact in Reid's system so Rice did finally get in there down the stretch as a key player.

Here is my question - What does Andy Reid do? Is this a no biggie in his mind (short suspension) or is Andy pissed and sends him on his way like he did Hunt? Rice is stlll young enough to bounce back from this but is facing serious legal and potential suspension issues.

I tried to buy him in FFPC for 2nd-rounders, all rejected, though some seemed to suggest it was close.

About two weeks ago, in a 14-team friendly IDP league (with salary contracts that makes things more confusing to explain here), I traded the 2.14 (so 28th rookie pick) and Khalil Shakir for Rice. No regrets at all on that one.

I tried to buy him in FFPC for 2nd-rounders, all rejected, though some seemed to suggest it was close.

About two weeks ago, in a 14-team friendly IDP league (with salary contracts that makes things more confusing to explain here), I traded the 2.14 (so 28th rookie pick) and Khalil Shakir for Rice. No regrets at all on that one.

In a 16 team, IDP League, I offered a future first and an elite defensive end and was rejected.

Users who are viewing this thread