What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

colts to trade edge? (1 Viewer)

boonesfarm4me

Footballguy
Len P. from espn just reported the colts have informed Edge that they will be attempting to trade him, due to salary constrictions. where does edge land?

the better question is, who wins the training camp position battle, dominic rhodes or the rookie they draft the first day(arrington?)

THe #2 and Surtain MIGHT be enough for the Colts.

Colin
You beat me to it Colin :boxing: Exactly what I was going to suggest.

There had been previous rumblings for that trade.

I wonder if something was already being worked out and someone leaked out info they shouldn't have.

This would be reminiscent of when they Colts traded Faulk and where able to draft Edge.

I think Ronnie Brown would fit into the Colt's system nicely

this is also sets up miami very nicely to play seattle and miami off of each other in a reverse bidding war for one of the two teams to get at least some value from the RB they dont plan on keeping long term.if they can get the #2 alone from miami, i would think that would be enough. derrick johnson would be a perfect addition to that defense.

Colin
This deal might work.... Colts grab Ronnie Brown at #2 and plug him right in.
why not grab another difference maker on D in johnson, and get a more than adequate back in round 2 like arrington? besides, rhodes already showed when he was a rookie that he can handle the feature back role.the colts need help on defense, not offense.

Miami would be getting ripped off bad if they gave the #2 AND Surtain.Even the #2 alone is a bit much considering the huge contract Edge is going to get.

I think that if the Colts can get the #2 pick and Surtain for Edge they would be foolish not to do it. I wouldn't give up tha much if I were the Dolphins. As a Edge owner in a dynasty league I really hate this idea.

also, i should point out that the colts gave rhodes a 2 year 4.75 mil/2 mil signing bonus deal a few weeks ago. i think they were anticipating this all along. that's an awful lot to pay someone to be a backup RB.

"Basically, they said that with the stadium, their salary cap situation, they could not make us a proposal beyond the qualifying offer," Rosenhaus said. "And Bill made it pretty clear he would entertain trade offers and, in fact, said he would consider trading 'Edge' for less than a first-round draft choice. I told him that I intended to get the word out about where the Colts stood on this and he encouraged me to do so. I would say this is a pretty significant development."I guess that should be a good indication that it wouldn't take the #2 overall pick and Surtain to get the deal done.

Colin
This deal might work.... Colts grab Ronnie Brown at #2 and plug him right in.
why not grab another difference maker on D in johnson, and get a more than adequate back in round 2 like arrington? besides, rhodes already showed when he was a rookie that he can handle the feature back role.the colts need help on defense, not offense.
I agree with you, but their philosophy seems to be "You can't get enough offense." With the amount of money they've poured into Manning and the WR corps, I don't think they'd want to hamstring them by complementing them with a sub-par running attack. The only way I see them making this move is if they think they can plug another franchise back in Edge's place. They would have to think someone on their roster or in the draft would fit that bill, and of all those choices, I see Ronnie Brown as the most likely.

"Basically, they said that with the stadium, their salary cap situation, they could not make us a proposal beyond the qualifying offer," Rosenhaus said. "And Bill made it pretty clear he would entertain trade offers and, in fact, said he would consider trading 'Edge' for less than a first-round draft choice. I told him that I intended to get the word out about where the Colts stood on this and he encouraged me to do so. I would say this is a pretty significant development."

I guess that should be a good indication that it wouldn't take the #2 overall pick and Surtain to get the deal done.
Based on this, I would say Edge for Surtain stright up is a real possibility, and I would be fine with that...

also, i should point out that the colts gave rhodes a 2 year 4.75 mil/2 mil signing bonus deal a few weeks ago. i think they were anticipating this all along. that's an awful lot to pay someone to be a backup RB.
Oh... now this, I didn't know. This may indicate that they have full confidence in him to get the job done.If that's the case, Rhodes stock goes way up while Manning, Harrison, and Wayne drop some.

When a GM is quoted in an article saying he would "consider taking LESS than a 1st round pick as compensation", NO team in their right mind is going to offer up a high first rounder PLUS a pro bowl position player.

"Basically, they said that with the stadium, their salary cap situation, they could not make us a proposal beyond the qualifying offer," Rosenhaus said. "And Bill made it pretty clear he would entertain trade offers and, in fact, said he would consider trading 'Edge' for less than a first-round draft choice. I told him that I intended to get the word out about where the Colts stood on this and he encouraged me to do so. I would say this is a pretty significant development."

I guess that should be a good indication that it wouldn't take the #2 overall pick and Surtain to get the deal done.
Based on this, I would say Edge for Surtain stright up is a real possibility, and I would be fine with that...
You think? If the Colts do that, they're morons.

When a GM is quoted in an article saying he would "consider taking LESS than a 1st round pick as compensation", NO team in their right mind is going to offer up a high first rounder PLUS a pro bowl position player.
Enter - Rick Spielman :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly, did someone hijack Colin's login or was he being sarcastic.

MAYBE a straight up trade... but it would really depend on James contract demands! The Dolphins don't have the QB/O-Line/Cap space to be mortgaging the future to make him the highest paid RB in the league. Not when we could take our chances w/ a fresh legged #2 draft pick RB.I'm on the fence right now on this Edge thing. IND/SEA/KC and MIA should make the next couple of days very interesting.

#2 overall pick + a top tier CB seems pretty steep price for a RB with the kind of mileage that Edge has, along with his knee injury.Edge has shown that he's a quality back and he seems to be back close to where he was before he got hurt, but he's not the gamebreaker that is worth that kind of asking price. If Miami got the Colts 1st or 2nd round pick, I could see it happening.

I don't see Edge for Surtain. I do see Edge for draft pick(s) - and at best a late 1st but probably not. It's Faulk all over again.

MAYBE a straight up trade... but it would really depend on James contract demands! The Dolphins don't have the QB/O-Line/Cap space to be mortgaging the future to make him the highest paid RB in the league. Not when we could take our chances w/ a fresh legged #2 draft pick RB.I'm on the fence right now on this Edge thing. IND/SEA/KC and MIA should make the next couple of days very interesting.
I agree, but based on the fact that Edge seems so unhappy in Indianapolis right now and the fact that he seems to be BIG on coming back home to Miami -- I think he would be willing to restructure for us after a trade...

#2 overall pick + a top tier CB seems pretty steep price for a RB with the kind of mileage that Edge has, along with his knee injury.

Edge has shown that he's a quality back and he seems to be back close to where he was before he got hurt, but he's not the gamebreaker that is worth that kind of asking price. If Miami got the Colts 1st or 2nd round pick, I could see it happening.
If the Colts get the #2 and Surtain the Dolphins better be getting Edge and the Colts 1st and 2nd round pick or they are pretty dumb IMHO.

Exactly, did someone hijack Colin's login or was he being sarcastic.
I posted before the link/story were posted. :ph34r: I find it odd that the Colts basically gave up any leverage they had in the matter by saying, "there's no money and we'll take less than top value for him." Somewhat odd in my opinion. At a minimum, say, "We're pleased to have Edgerrin for one more year and unless someone blows us away with an offer, we're excited to have him be a Colt in 2005."Odd.

COlin

Evidently, the Colts are installing a new, even faster track than that awful playing surface they had. Seems to me, in that offense and on that field, Michael Bennett would be a great fit. If indeed the Colts get Miami's 2nd round pick in a Edge/Surtain deal, they might be willing to give up their own low 2nd rounder for Bennett.:bennett owner... wishful thinking: :football:

I want to add that I heard one personnel man recently on either Sirius NFL radio or ESPN radio... I don't recall if it was Pat Kirwin or Randy Mueller... but one of them strongly opined that Rhodes is best suited strictly as a backup/3rd down back, and that he would have only modest success as a full-time, 25 carries-a-game guy.

This is one ESPN report.It seemed to me like it was a case of Rosenhaus saying that a trade is likely, and Polian saying that all options are on the table - this is a big difference from saying that a trade will happen. It's an open secret that Edge would prefer to play for the Dolphins, so Rosenhaus is looking to make this happen.The Colts are not going to give up Edge unless they get good value, and with the number of RBs on the market this off season + the quality in the draft they are unlikely to. They're not going to commit to a long term deal - this guy is one wrong cut from being Frank Gore, and he plays half his games an astroturf.Edge is all about the $$, and the Colts know this. He wants a long term deal, but he's not going to walk away from the $8M paycheque coming his way as a franchise player. Bottom line, Edge is in Indy in 2005, absent a really good offer, which is unlikley to happen.

I want to add that I heard one personnel man recently on either Sirius NFL radio or ESPN radio... I don't recall if it was Pat Kirwin or Randy Mueller... but one of them strongly opined that Rhodes is best suited strictly as a backup/3rd down back, and that he would have only modest success as a full-time, 25 carries-a-game guy.
That's odd considering how well he did coming in as a rookie after Edge blew out his knee. But maybe since his own knee injury he's not as solid??

How about Davenport?? :thumbup:
No, Indi will want a versatile RB.Cross off either Henry/Davenport/A-Train.
define "versatile". Davenport runs, blocks, and is a pretty decent receiver. What more do you need? Oh yeah, he's cheap. too.
Davenport is not a recieving threat. I also don't believe he will ever be the kind of RB who can be the main guy. He has a style that gets him hurt constantly, he can't be counted on. I've watched every single Packers game and would be shocked if a team every brought him in as their starter. He may get some opportunity due to injury, but will never be the answer as a feature RB.

That's odd considering how well he did coming in as a rookie after Edge blew out his knee. But maybe since his own knee injury he's not as solid??
Doesn't he have a chronic shoulder injury?

Couldn't agree more. DR looks nice when he comes in fresh, (at least sometimes, but not when Teddy Bruschi is stripping him of the rock in the AFC Divisional :angry: ), but that is a big difference between being a workhorse. Oakland might find this out the hard way in 2005.

How about Davenport?? :thumbup:
No, Indi will want a versatile RB.Cross off either Henry/Davenport/A-Train.
define "versatile". Davenport runs, blocks, and is a pretty decent receiver. What more do you need? Oh yeah, he's cheap. too.
Davenport is not a recieving threat. I also don't believe he will ever be the kind of RB who can be the main guy. He has a style that gets him hurt constantly, he can't be counted on. I've watched every single Packers game and would be shocked if a team every brought him in as their starter. He may get some opportunity due to injury, but will never be the answer as a feature RB.
I'll admit, there's an injury history there, but when healthy, Davenport has produced when given the chance. He does everything well except stay healthy.

The #2 overall AND Surtain for Edge would be an absolute raping by the Colts. Way too much to offer with this RB class.The colts should tell Idiot Bill to keep his mouth shut. :lol:

If this happens, just one more guy to avoid in fantasy drafts...

They sure are making it easy on us this year...
Are you saying you would flat out not draft edge in any circumstance if he were a dolphin?Even if he were a third rounder? C'mon now...

If this happens, just one more guy to avoid in fantasy drafts...

They sure are making it easy on us this year...
Are you saying you would flat out not draft edge in any circumstance if he were a dolphin?Even if he were a third rounder? C'mon now...
I don't see why people would hate Edge going to Miami. He would get a ton of carries and likely get more TD's than he did in Indi since he would be their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so on option at the goaline.Also he would be happy and very motivated back in Miami.

Call me crazy, but I don't bump him down at all with a move to Miami. His YPC will go down a bit, but he will get tons of carries to offset that.

Users who are viewing this thread