What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coming Soon… 25-minute-long blues jams: Allman Brothers Band countdown (1 Viewer)

turnjose7

Footballguy
Since completing my ranking of 205 Beatles songs I have been considering doing a list for several other bands. I mentioned in Tim’s 1972 thread that one of those under consideration is my all-time favorite band, the Allman Brothers Band. Since there was a positive response to that suggestion, I have decided to move forward with the project.

I’ll add some details about the process later, but I plan to rank 114 songs including every track from the original studio albums and contemporary live albums, along with a few select tracks from retrospective live albums, compilations, and special editions which I think are particularly important to the story of the band.

Rather than doing a detailed write-up of every song, my plan is to release songs 51-114 in one giant release with some general thoughts about that part of the list. While I love almost everything ABB and there are some outstanding songs in that part of the list, I’m not sure the depth of their catalogue and the meaningful commentary that has been published about their more obscure songs really lends itself to paragraphs-long breakdowns of each track. And frankly I don’t know that I could stomach spending that much time with everything from the Arista years.

Once we break the top 50, I will start revealing one track at a time with a little bit of commentary and a link for each song.

Right now I am in a particularly busy part of my work cycle so it will probably take me a little bit of time to get this set up. But in 3-4 weeks my schedule eases up quite a bit so I will plan to start then. In the meantime, I thought I would announce the plan in case anyone wants to speculate, lobby for particular songs, or anything else.

In case people want to speculate, here is the list of songs I will be ranking in alphabetical order:

Ain’t Wastin’ Time No More
All Night Train
Angeline
Back Where It All Begins
Bad Rain
Black Hearted Woman
Blind Love
Blue Sky
Brothers of the Road
Can’t Lose What You Never Had
Can’t Take It with You
Change My Way of Living
Come and Go Blues
Come On in My Kitchen
Crazy Love
Desdemona
Desert Blues
Dimples
Done Somebody Wrong
Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’
Don’t Want You No More
Dreams
Drunken Hearted Boy
End of the Line
Everybody’s Got a Mountain to Climb
Every Hungry Woman
Famous Last Words
Firing Line
From the Madness of the West
Gambler’s Roll
Get on with Your Life
Good Clean Fun
Good Morning Little School Girl
Heart of Stone
Hell & High Water
High Cost of Low Living
High Falls
Hoochie Coochie Man
Hot’lanta
I’m Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town
I Beg of You
I Got a Right to Be Wrong
In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
Instrumental Illness
It Ain’t Over Yet
It’s Not My Cross to Bear
Jelly Jelly
Jessica
Just Ain’t Easy
Just Another Love Song
Keep On Keepin’ On
Kind of Bird
Leave My Blues at Home
Leavin’
Les Brers in A Minor
Let Me Ride
Little Martha
Loaded Dice
Loan Me a Dime
Louisiana Lou and Three Card Monty John
Low Down Dirty Mean
Maybe We Can Go Back to Yesterday
Maydell
Mean Woman Blues
Melissa
Midnight Man
Midnight Rider
Mountain Jam
Mystery Woman
Need Your Love So Bad
Never Knew How Much (I Needed You)
Nevertheless
Nobody Knows
No One to Run With
Old Before My Time
Old Friend
One More Ride
One Way Out
Pegasus
Please Call Home
Pony Boy
Ramblin’ Man
Revival
Rockin’ Horse
Sail Away
Sailin ‘Cross the Devil’s Sea
Seven Turns
Shine It On
So Long
Soulshine
Southbound
Stand Back
Statesboro Blues
Stormy Monday
Straight from the Heart
Sweet Mama
Temptation is a Gun
The Heat Is On
The Judgement
The Same Thing
Things You Used to Do
Trouble No More
True Gravity
Try It One More Time
Two Rights
Wasted Words
What’s Done is Done
Whipping Post
Who’s Been Talking
Who to Believe
Win, Lose, or Draw
Woman Across the River
Worried Down With the Blues
You Don’t Love Me

Love the Allmans but mostly only know the Eat a Peach album and their big hits that got radio play.  Looking forward to learning more.

My FIL's favorite band.  Their live stuff is terrific if you're into their sound.  

Also, Gregg's final album that he released before he died a few years ago was quite pleasant.

Do you ever listen to Tedeschi Trucks?  My new discovery that all the cool kids knew about long before I found them. 

Looking forward to this one!

This will be a really fun thread. Love the Allmans. Saw them live a few times and they never disappointed. 

My FIL's favorite band.  Their live stuff is terrific if you're into their sound.  

Also, Gregg's final album that he released before he died a few years ago was quite pleasant.

Do you ever listen to Tedeschi Trucks?  My new discovery that all the cool kids knew about long before I found them. 

Yep Southern Blood is a very good album. Gregg's best solo album since Laid Back, IMO. 

Love TTB. I've seen them several times in concert. Can't imagine there's a better live band in the world. 

Check out Allman Betts band. 

Devon Allman (son of Gregg)

Duane Betts (son of Dickey)

Berry Duane Oakley (son of Berry)

They do original stuff and ABB covers

General Malaise said:

Love TTB. They are touring with Los Lobos this summer and I might have to drive the seven hours to St. Louis in the middle of the week for that. 

Midnight in Harlem might be one of my favorite tunes ever.  

I'm a Dreams guy all the way. Jessica. In memory of Elizabeth Reed. Stormy Monday. Back Where it all began. Whipping post. Seven Turns. 

I'm a Grateful Dead guy and it took me ten years to finally admit an Allman Brothers show was the best I ever saw. Guys were monsters in the mid nineties with Dickie, Warren, Allan Woody and the boys. 

I've had a sesh in the Government Mule tour bus. Chill dudes. Warren is like hobbit size.  

Subscribed for Peanut Gallery Platinum Membership. Hopefully this is all a warm-up for the top-500 rankings of songs performed in accordance with Muscle Shoals standards.

Idlewild South gets a lotta love from me, all 32 minutes.

ABB is my favorite band for sure. Both live and recordings. 
I saw them in concert for the first time in ‘78 or ‘79. 
Saw Gregg in what turned out to be his final tour. 
Have also seen TTB live. 

While we wait on this countdown - Anyone have any recommendations for the best live albums out there?

While we wait on this countdown - Anyone have any recommendations for the best live albums out there?

As the greatest live album of all time At Fillmore East is the obvious answer. The original album is great, but it is definitely worth it to get the box set with all three shows. The best of the retrospective releases are probably the Atlanta Pop Festival and Ludlow Garage. At Fillmore West is an earlier look at the songs that became famous on East and there are some outstanding versions on that as well (will talk about this in some of my writeups). The "An Evening With" albums, especially the second one, are good looks into the Dickey/Warren era. And "One Way Out" is a nice representation of the final ear with Warren and Derek. I just recently got Live in Knoxville, 2005 and that is also pretty good for the final lineup. 

Check out Allman Betts band. 

Devon Allman (son of Gregg)

Duane Betts (son of Dickey)

Berry Duane Oakley (son of Berry)

They do original stuff and ABB covers
Saw them last Summer at the Stone Pony as part of a bill that included Larkin Poe, the Wildfeathers and Blackberry Smoke. After they all played their own sets they all came out and jammed together on Southern Rock classics. It was a great show.  

Just an update. Plan to start the countdown Easter evening. We'll see how my work schedule goes but my hope is to release 2 songs per day and have it done in mid-May. Been re-reading Alan Paul's "One Way Out" in preparation and listening to a whole lot of live music. Looking forward to it. 
Play Free Bird! 

Users who are viewing this thread