What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commish power (1 Viewer)

doubletrouble

Footballguy
A couple of weeks ago I sent a trade offer to the commish and he quickly rejected (by phone/iPad)...then sent another one where he accepted but a minute later said he pressed accept by accident and used his commish powers to reverse the trade.

The question he is in our bylaws we clearly state if its accepted on the website it final and no reversals. (Below)

E. Rescinding/Reneging. Once a trade is accepted on the website, the trade is final. Once a trade is accepted in person at the draft and presented to a co-commissioner, the trade is final. There are no take-backs or do-overs.

Should he be allowed to reverse it BC he claims it was a mistake and on a phone accept doesn't confirm twice (mfl) like it does straight on the website or should I let it go?

Trade was Morris/picks for Richardson

Thanks!

A couple of weeks ago I sent a trade offer to the commish and he quickly rejected (by phone/iPad)...then sent another one where he accepted but a minute later said he pressed accept by accident and used his commish powers to reverse the trade.

The question he is in our bylaws we clearly state if its accepted on the website it final and no reversals. (Below)

E. Rescinding/Reneging. Once a trade is accepted on the website, the trade is final. Once a trade is accepted in person at the draft and presented to a co-commissioner, the trade is final. There are no take-backs or do-overs.

Should he be allowed to reverse it BC he claims it was a mistake and on a phone accept doesn't confirm twice (mfl) like it does straight on the website or should I let it go?

Trade was Morris/picks for Richardson

Thanks!
I am assuming you mean you then sent another one and he accepted..

I'm guessing you are using MFL and, if so, I can tell you that when logged in as a commish, it doesn't do like a phone or regular accept screen does; if you hit accept, it just pushes it through.

I think in a case like this, you forgoe the letter of the law and look at the spirit of the law and give the Commish a break. I can tell you from experience I have, on more than one occasion, hit a button while under "Commish log-in" that behaves differently than if I were under "owner log-in". Sounds like a simple overlook.

Your commish shouldn't be undertaking normal team functions while logged in as commish, first of all. He should be logged in as himself.

He was logged in as his own team and not commish when he accepted the trade... he realized he made a mistake he logged in as commish and reversed the trade , instead of emailing the other commish to reverse it

i love to accept ####ty trade offers as owner, only to then have myself as commissioner veto it due to it being unfair.

it's hilarious!

We have a simple add-on to our league constitution to avoid situations like this:

"If a team inadvertently accepts a trade and wants to back out of it, they must notify the other team owner and The Commish immediately (within 15 minutes of the trade's execution); if the other team owner and The Commish are notified promptly, The Commish will cancel it, reverse the roster moves and fees, and announce the cancellation to the rest of the league."

People hit the wrong button sometimes. It happens. And we made it 15 minutes to allow a small amount of time for the owner to realize that they hit the wrong button. I would let it go, especially because he sent out the cancellation e-mail "a minute later." It's not like he thought about it for a while, talked to some other people, and decided to back out of it. It was immediate once he realized his mistake.

I agree with the others. It maybe did not follow the letter of the law but as quickly as he cancelled out of it I have to believe it was an error that was quickly adjusted. I would let it be. Bring it up to the commish though and suggest possibly rewriting the rule a bit to cover these circumstances.

He shouldn't have used his commish powers to undo the trade. Instead you should have just made a trade offer to return things to their pre-trade state because you're a classy guy who doesn't need to resort to taking advantage of someone hitting the wrong button to win.

I agree 100% with the other guys. It's just the right thing to do to reverse this kind of mistake. Imagine if you were in his shoes how frustrated you would be going forward.

Also, you should put a rule in your rule book to clear up this sort of situation in the future.

I'll pile on with the majority. If he really did reverse it immediately, it shouldn't be a big deal.

In the OP you say "a minute later".

Just pretend like he rejected it straight up, as that is effectively what happened.

i would try to install a video camera to see what else he is doing to me it sounds like he is a up to no good guy and probably needs to be stopped and think you are the man for the job probably come up with a secret identity to help make yourself the talk of the town or it was just a mistake one way or the other brohan take that to the bank

I used to be more of a stickler about this, but now feel that an accidental accept should not be enforced. It was obviously an accident because he fixed it within a couple minutes. HOWEVER, your league has a specific rule regarding this situation. Just because I think it's a bad rule, doesn't mean it should not be enforced.

This is a tough call, but I'd recommend taking the high road and not letting this ruin your fun or friendships.

It was an obvious accident, and it was corrected. As commish, he likely didnt feel like wasting time with several emails and league notifications to say what happened.

Commish is a total thankless job that takes up your time. Move on.

It was an obvious accident, and it was corrected. As commish, he likely didnt feel like wasting time with several emails and league notifications to say what happened.

Agreed. I've been the commish of my leagues for years now. Nobody seems to even know who the commish is until they are mad about something.

I've had people come at me with personal attacks, insults, and proclamations that I was doing something purely for my own benefit when that couldn't be farther from the truth. It really sucks when you are truly and honestly doing the best that you can, and keeping everything as fair as possible (if not actually favoring other people just to be safe) and people start attacking and insulting you because they are unhappy about something.

Don't make their job unnecessarily hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agreed. I've been the commish of my leagues for years now. Nobody seems to even know who the commish is until they are mad about something.

I've had people come at me with personal attacks, insults, and proclamations that I was doing something purely for my own benefit when that couldn't be farther from the truth. It really sucks when you are truly and honestly doing the best that you can, and keeping everything as fair as possible (if not actually favoring other people just to be safe) and people start attacking and insulting you because they are unhappy about something.

Don't make their job unnecessarily hard.
When people complain, I just ask them if they want to take over. They generally shut up after that.

He sent you a message saying he didn't accept the trade and hit the wrong button then quickly corrected it. This just seems like common sense.

On a side note I think you need to rethink how you are approaching fantasy football. This shouldn't be about "Noooo! It says right here in the rules." This kind of stuff drives me crazy. Why can people just not use common sense and enjoy things. I've seen guys on the other side where they send completely lopsided trades non-stop hoping someone clicks the wrong button then when you ask them to stop you get "Well there's nothing in the rules that says I can't." It shouldn't be about having to enforce rules or having to create rules.

All I guess I'm saying is be part of the solution, not the problem, by using common sense and playing to have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
He sent you a message saying he didn't accept the trade and hit the wrong button then quickly corrected it. This just seems like common sense.

On a side note I think you need to rethink how you are approaching fantasy football. This shouldn't be about "Noooo! It says right here in the rules." This kind of stuff drives me crazy. Why can people just not use common sense and enjoy things. I've seen guys on the other side where they send completely lopsided trades non-stop hoping someone clicks the wrong button then when you ask them to stop you get "Well there's nothing in the rules that says I can't." It shouldn't be about having to enforce rules or having to create rules.

All I guess I'm saying is be part of the solution, not the problem, by using common sense and playing to have fun.
Yep. The rules are there to enforce them when you need to, and to set the structure of the league.

If someone sends me an offer of a 7th round pick for AJ Green and I accidentally click accept instead of reject, and they dont let me reverse that (even if I dont realize I did it till the next day), that is a league I am out of immediately.

I would just remind him of it...a lot...for every rule...ruling....his draft picks...since they're...fuzzy...and ribbin' is fun

Greg Russell said:
He shouldn't have used his commish powers to undo the trade. Instead you should have just made a trade offer to return things to their pre-trade state because you're a classy guy who doesn't need to resort to taking advantage of someone hitting the wrong button to win.
This. 1000 times this. The point of the rule is clearly to stop owners from waffling on trades - not to stick it to people who accidentally make a clicking mistake.

i personally think you are overreacting and even putting it up on this mesasge baord probably means that you have problems i recommendt hat you stop playing fantasy football and take up a hobby that will not require you to work with others i think model railroading in ho scale would be just the ticket then you can have controversyies like this all you want you can make your little dudes from your model accidentally hit a button to take a trade and then you can form up a lynch mob with other model guys and have them hang the commissioner from a model tree that you will expertly craft from pipe cleaners and glue and then when you go to bed at night you will have all the anger gone and you will be much happier take that to the bank brohan

Users who are viewing this thread