What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commissioner Appreciation Gift (1 Viewer)

BusMan

Footballguy
My main league is a keeper league that is wrapping up its 12th straight season right now. The commish has done an outstanding job running the league over the last decade plus, and there is a groundswell of opinion that we should get a little token of appreciation for him at next year's live draft (August 2014).

Anyone have any recommendations? Anyone ever done anything like this?

I'm thinking a quality bottle of liquor, plus something he can put on his desk at work. Someone mentioned an engraved gavel, but I'm not sold on that idea.

Do me a solid, Shark Pool.

My main league is a keeper league that is wrapping up its 12th straight season right now. The commish has done an outstanding job running the league over the last decade plus, and there is a groundswell of opinion that we should get a little token of appreciation for him at next year's live draft (August 2014).

Anyone have any recommendations? Anyone ever done anything like this?

I'm thinking a quality bottle of liquor, plus something he can put on his desk at work. Someone mentioned an engraved gavel, but I'm not sold on that idea.

Do me a solid, Shark Pool.
Get him a bottle of Pappy's. Do you all work together?

You do realize you have now jinxed him. The league will disband by this time next year.

Honestly, just a Thank You is all a commish really wants or needs. Usually we are stuck in the middle of crap and very few owners take the time to thank us.

You do realize you have now jinxed him. The league will disband by this time next year.

Honestly, just a Thank You is all a commish really wants or needs. Usually we are stuck in the middle of crap and very few owners take the time to thank us.
And a 12 pack at the draft next year :D

Engraved gavel sounds terrible.
less terrible if he's an attorney.

Nice:

Bottle of scotch and a nice tulip shaped glass

Less Expensive:

Six pack and his NFL team's pint glasses - or if you want to rub it in and he lost in the Super Bowl, his opposing QB's NFL team.

Been in many leagues and I am the commish of one league right now. One thing is the same in all...commissioners take on the role because they want to do it. If I do a good job I do not want any money or any gifts. Just a Thank you for a job well done is more than enough.

Two bottles of liquor: one to drink and one to put on his desk.

Seriously, you know this guy better than we do. Get him something he likes. Just no gift cards, as they are lazy and ultimately impersonal.

He has won the league four years out of 11 completed so far. Dominant. Maybe a "one for the thumb" tee if he wins again this year?

As someone who's been a commish for 24 years I feel qualified to weigh in.

I do it because I want to and don't expect anything in return. However that doesn't mean that you shouldn't get him something. In the 24 years as commish my league did something nice for me once and it was very appreciated. So just because he doesn't expect it doesn't mean you shouldn't.

I like the ideas of a nice bottle of bourbon (or his drink of choice) or the a gift card for Omaha Steaks (or his local steak restaurant) are great ones.

Assuming it's at least a 12 teamer, 12 bucks from each manager should be enough to buy him an NFL jersey of his favorite player. I'd like that.

Hopefully the league knows the commish a bit after twelve years... if married, would he appreciate a giftcard to take the ol' lady out for dinner/movie? Favorite NFL team (could mean team apparel, etc)? Or, as someone above posted, if encouraging words have any impact on him, have everyone in the league post their gratitude (of course, send an email to the other league mates as a heads-up). A good commish should always be appreciated. :thanks:

The winner should be giving him a little of the money each year. That, along with a bottle of his favorite drink, is plenty.

Our league has an unwritten tradition where the champ buys the commish something nice or funny with their winnings. Best one over the years in my opinion was a custom labeled wine bottle commemorating the Championship season. Ours had the famous picture of Don Shula being carried off the field, and a picture of the league champ photoshopped onto his face, and the comissh's picture photoshopped over Larry Little's face carrying Shula on his shoulders. That could be done over and over with different ideas. If it was, it would be pretty cool to visit the commish's collection of commemorative wine bottles (or commemorative anything).

Users who are viewing this thread