What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commissioner Question - the unintentional tank (1 Viewer)

Have a rule that the person who fails to submit a correct lineup buys the beer at the next years draft party.

Boot him from the league. It doesn't matter if it's intentional or unintentional.
you're telling me that you'd boot a good friend you've had for 15 years and who has been in your league 10+ years over one eff up?

How many friends do you have left? Seriously?

This is still just effing fantasy football. He didn't take a dump on my wife's chest

Boot him from the league. It doesn't matter if it's intentional or unintentional.
you're telling me that you'd boot a good friend you've had for 15 years and who has been in your league 10+ years over one eff up?

This is still just effing fantasy football. He didn't take a dump on my wife's chest
Auto draft, not logging in. He isn't in the league in spirit. Just go ahead and make it official. Unless the other league owners are the only friends you have, I am not sure about that other comment.

Sometimes friendships are more important than the fantasy league. I commish a similar league and, unfortunately, I sometimes have to make a phone call and get someone to set their lineup. It takes me a few minutes, but we avoid these issues, and I can give them hell for having such an awful team. I know everybody is quick to point out the accountability piece, but sometimes we have friends that aren't into things as much as we are, but having them there is more important.

For your case, I think you have to leave it as is. If you've never stepped in before to set precedent, you need to deal for this week and address it in the offseason with a rule.
I should have given the guy a call and/or text - i just didn't see he'd submitted a horrible lineup until after the entire day of action because I was gone for the day on sunday not watching football.

I don't get what the issue is. I'm in a league where teams sometimes give up and ignore bye weeks/injuries. It's not ideal, and it can occasionally be unfair, but if you don't want to kick the guy out, and you don't want to micromanage his lineup, then just live with it. It may change a few playoff scenarios, but it will not signify the End of the Human Race As We Know It.
See i'm kind of along this line of thinking, but want to be more proactive so that it's not an issue in the future.

At the same time, I fully intend to ask the guy if he is too busy for FFL moving forward.. and I really think there's a 50% shot he may voluntarily quit.

But I"m not kicking him out.

Frankly, at the end of the day everyone would like for him to play because he's dead money even if he does jack something up with playoff seedings occasionally.

Dentist, you seem like a good guy. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but what were you expecting when you posted this question?

You don't want to remove the guy from the league. You can't do anything financially to effect the guy. And league rules won't change the way he feels.

Not sure what's left to discuss. :shrug:

Dentist, you seem like a good guy. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but what were you expecting when you posted this question?

You don't want to remove the guy from the league. You can't do anything financially to effect the guy. And league rules won't change the way he feels.

This seems to be on the money... what do YOU want to do? Was this the lone "tanked" game of the season? If so, the teams involved (being friends and all) might be agreeable to fixing the line-up and letting the "deserving team" make the play-offs. Of course, if there are more tanked games this isn't practical and opens up a rat's nest.

I understand how awkward the situation is and your sense of responsibility as commish... but what do you think is fair given your familiarity with the people/situation?

Dentist said:

I still don't think it's unintentional, but if it's a friends league and nobody is up in arms and having fun then don't worry about it. The next year, another team may benefit. If people aren't okay with it then you probably have to replace him. Doesn't sound like rules are really going to make a difference in this case.

It is frustrating to me because you can set your lineup 3 months in advance if you want. It's not like you have to do it on Sunday morning. Nobody is that busy, they're usually just kind of #####.

KCitons said:
I was expecting something other than removing the guy from the league.

Here's what I did expect - and I got some of it:

1) Rules designed to discourage tanking - fines, guy has to bring beer the next year - some punishment

2) designated rule for a solution - commissioner doesn't allow player to play a guy on a bye week IF he has a guy on his roster that could fill the role (commish can't do pickups, but can do insertions)

3) some descriptions about how other commissioners both handle it and/or design rules to prevent it.

It happened, I'm not going to fix it.. no one is that pissed about it.

In all the years I've been commissioning, I haven't had anyone quit so readily and not submit a remotely reasonable lineup because i have great guys.

But it happened and I didn't have a good solution. I've been commissioning 2 leagues over 15 years so I've seen a lot of #### go down.. but not this.

I got some good ideas moving forward.. and I will be asking the guy if he intends to play next season.

DropKick said:
KCitons said:

Was this the lone "tanked" game of the season?
Yes, it was the lone tanked game. Although even after the tank, the guy didn't change his lineup this week (but all those players were back on the field.. even though Dalton over Brady was a questionable call at best this week... it's borderline tank-ish)

Users who are viewing this thread