What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commissioner Question - the unintentional tank (1 Viewer)

Dentist

***Official FBG Dentist***
We had a team last week who's been out of it for several weeks (2-9 record coming into last week) basically have 3 Bengals players active (they were on bye) and really they didn't even have enough players on their roster to insert into all 3 of those spots.

However, they had Andy Dalton active and could have had Tom Brady.. that simple change alone would have given them a win.. let alone a complete lineup.

Now, I'm fully aware knowing the person that tanked that it wasn't intentional.. they simply quit logging on or caring once their season was blown.

But its now going to cost someone else who doesn't care a playoff spot as the team that should have been defeated will qualify for a spot that someone else deserved.

So we have a few guys complaining...

What is your policy as regards to severely insufficient lineups? The guy paid for his team, he didn't commit any intentional fraud.. but his "tanking" has compromised the integrity of the game.

Admittedly, I didn't even look at his lineup prior to the game because it wasn't an "illegal lineup" and so I did NOT fire off a text reminder or request to change his lineup... and frankly even if i had i'm not sure he would've done anything.

Feedback? thoughts?

I don't get how it's unintentional. You should have booted the guy and set his lineup. You put your best lineup in every week, that's it.

We had a team last week who's been out of it for several weeks (2-9 record coming into last week) basically have 3 Bengals players active (they were on bye) and really they didn't even have enough players on their roster to insert into all 3 of those spots.

However, they had Andy Dalton active and could have had Tom Brady.. that simple change alone would have given them a win.. let alone a complete lineup.

Now, I'm fully aware knowing the person that tanked that it wasn't intentional.. they simply quit logging on or caring once their season was blown.

But its now going to cost someone else who doesn't care a playoff spot as the team that should have been defeated will qualify for a spot that someone else deserved.

What is your policy as regards to severely insufficient lineups? The guy paid for his team, he didn't commit any intentional fraud.. but his "tanking" has compromised the integrity of the game.

Admittedly, I didn't even look at his lineup prior to the game because it wasn't an "illegal lineup" and so I did NOT fire off a text reminder or request to change his lineup... and frankly even if i had i'm not sure he would've done anything.

Feedback? thoughts?
...edit.....Just know the guys not coming back next year. Sucks for someone but that's life.Misread... still think its just a life lesson...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get how it's unintentional. You should have booted the guy and set his lineup. You put your best lineup in every week, that's it.
I've had the same 10 guys for 10 years. The guy is a busy surgeon and he quit caring.

This isn't a yahoo league with randoms. I agree someone should submit their best lineup... as a commissioner if i see that type of lineup what do I do... do i have to pick guys up off waivers for them too?

Feedback? thoughts?
If you wouldn't have done anything before the game why would you do anything now? Just know the guys not coming back next year. Sucks for someone but that's life.Misread... still think its just a life lesson...
I'm not going to kick the guy out of the league.

I'm not as worried about what happened as I am about what to do about it moving forward and to create a policy or action to prevent it again.

I've had the same 10 guys for 10 years. The guy is a busy surgeon and he quit caring.

This isn't a yahoo league with randoms. I agree someone should submit their best lineup... as a commissioner if i see that type of lineup what do I do... do i have to pick guys up off waivers for them too?
Absolutlely not IMO. Commish should never set anyone's lineup but their own.

Feedback? thoughts?
If you wouldn't have done anything before the game why would you do anything now? Just know the guys not coming back next year. Sucks for someone but that's life.Misread... still think its just a life lesson...
I'm not going to kick the guy out of the league.

I'm not as worried about what happened as I am about what to do about it moving forward and to create a policy or action to prevent it again.
If you aren't going to kick him out the league then you and the league just accepts that these actions are acceptable so no future #####ing about who starts someone on a bye or leaves the scrub in the week after the studs bye.

Absolutlely not IMO. Commish should never set anyone's lineup but their own.
Exactly. What if the commish does that, wins a game and the loser that week misses the playoffs?

If you aren't going to kick him out the league then you and the league just accepts that these actions are acceptable so no future #####ing about who starts someone on a bye or leaves the scrub in the week after the studs bye.
if this was someone's first year in the league or there was no history, I would agree.

but you don't do this to someone that everyone in the league is personal friends with and who's played for 10 years.

this is a first time offense.

if anything, I take responsibility for not having a good firm plan in place.

And that's why i'm starting the thread.. i realize there is a problem and I want to set up a future solution, but am not sure what the best course of action is.

In our 12 team all friends local we penalize owners $5 for every bye week player or obviously injured and out (been hurt for weeks, IR, ect.) player started.

In our 12 team all friends local we penalize owners $5 for every bye week player or obviously injured and out (been hurt for weeks, IR, ect.) player started.
That's cool.

The problem is that I'd probably have to bump this to $500 to get this guy's attention. he wasn't going to submit a full lineup whether the fee was $5 or $50 (too rich)

That's cool.

The problem is that I'd probably have to bump this to $500 to get this guy's attention. he wasn't going to submit a full lineup whether the fee was $5 or $50 (too rich)
I played in a money league once with rich guys who were rich because of their family privilege and not due to their smarts or hard work. They left poor lineups in often because they had no appreciation for the value of money.

I would ask why the guy wants to be in the league? I get that people are busy, but setting a lineup takes two minutes a week. Especially when looking at players on a bye. Since it's friends, I would cover it at the draft next year. Let them know that the league only works when everyone does their part.

Even though he's a friend, he's not really being friendly to the guy he inadvertently knocked out of the playoffs.

That's cool.

Is it a keeper or redraft league?

Our rulebook has been tweaked over the years to discourage "tanking." We fine people - not real cash, but "free agent cash" that will be used next year to build the roster. Much more effective, IMO, than a fine that includes real cash, because it directly impacts a team's competitiveness in future years. Still not perfect though.

That's cool.

nothing you can do about the game that already happened. tell your friend to set his lineup every week. it takes two minutes.

You could fine people draft picks for the following year or something like that.

That's cool.

Is it a keeper or redraft league?

Our rulebook has been tweaked over the years to discourage "tanking." We fine people - not real cash, but "free agent cash" that will be used next year to build the roster. Much more effective, IMO, than a fine that includes real cash, because it directly impacts a team's competitiveness in future years. Still not perfect though.
The problem with this solution is the guy's team will do worse from the start, he will have no reason to set his lineup after week 4 instead of week 8.

What we do in a league with a requirement to start a valid roster. Note that a roster is NOT considered valid if there is a player on bye or out for some other reason and at least one player already on the roster could fill that vacancy.

Obviously if there is only one possible substitution, the choice is clear. If there is more than one possible substitution, we use the week's rankings from fantasypros (3rd party, free for everyone to see) to substitute in the player on bench ranked highest for that week.

I would ask why the guy wants to be in the league? I get that people are busy, but setting a lineup takes two minutes a week. Especially when looking at players on a bye. Since it's friends, I would cover it at the draft next year. Let them know that the league only works when everyone does their part.

Even though he's a friend, he's not really being friendly to the guy he inadvertently knocked out of the playoffs.
He wants to be in because he's friends with everyone else in the league. He did win once, but is a perennial loser in the league who really doesn't give a crap.

I recognize that it only takes 2 min to set a lineup and even the president of the US isn't so busy that he couldn't set a lineup.

What we do in a league with a requirement to start a valid roster. Note that a roster is NOT considered valid if there is a player on bye or out for some other reason and at least one player already on the roster could fill that vacancy.

Obviously if there is only one possible substitution, the choice is clear. If there is more than one possible substitution, we use the week's rankings from fantasypros (3rd party, free for everyone to see) to substitute in the player on bench ranked highest for that week.
I could use the CBS ranking - this would work.

In the case of this player, it would have filled 2 of the 3 spots he left empty

The problem with this solution is the guy's team will do worse from the start, he will have no reason to set his lineup after week 4 instead of week 8.

I'm not going to kick the guy out of the league.I'm not as worried about what happened as I am about what to do about it moving forward and to create a policy or action to prevent it again.
If you want to have a policy, then make it as specific as possible. Something along the lines of:

"If an owner submits an invalid lineup but has sufficient players on their roster, the commissioner will make substitutions according to the following procedure:"

1. If only one uninjured player is available at that position, then that player will be substituted.

2. If two or more uninjured players are available, then the player ranked higher on <your list there> as of <x days before the game> will be substituted

3. ..."

You might put a clause in there allowing an owner to let you know ahead of time why they might intentionally submit an illegal roster. For example, if they have players on bye but would rather yield the week than lose the players.

Then, you'll also want to establish what to do for MIA owners and injuries - i.e. if they can't field a roster because too many players are injured. This is going to be harder for a commissioner to do objectively, given rankings waivers, etc."

For this instance, if you truly believe it was an honest mistake, let the results stand. Tell the league you'll address it next year with a new rule.

eta: Looks like Phantom's league does the same thing. :thumbup:

It sucks, but the thing is, Dalton has been a better fantasy QB this year than Brady, so you can't use that example.

Dentist said:
That's intentional IMO.

Make whatever fixes you can.

hes too busy to care cause hes losing. so it sounds like its plenty intention

but if he was winning im sure he'd make the 2 minutes of time to set a lineup.

seems like its better to get him out of the league once the year is over and find someone who will be setting good lineups for the length of the season. just seems like your making excuses for him saying hes busy and blah blah blah.

It is your responsibility to set a line up if you commit to a league. It's the right thing to do....I mean really you are only going to be inconvenienced for 2 to 10 minutes a week for 14 or so weeks. If you are too busy to set a line up for a losing team you are too busy for fantasy football... In my league we have a guy who doesn't give a cap so bad that I tried to trade with him to make both our teams better (his record this year was 1 and 11 until he knocked me out of the playoffs this week with fluke luck...) and his response was I don't want to trade right now. No counters no nothing... Nothing feels worse than losing to someone who just doesn't care.

Ps. Nothing is more annoying than watching that guy get the first Draft pick every year just to not care about their team...

Sometimes friendships are more important than the fantasy league. I commish a similar league and, unfortunately, I sometimes have to make a phone call and get someone to set their lineup. It takes me a few minutes, but we avoid these issues, and I can give them hell for having such an awful team. I know everybody is quick to point out the accountability piece, but sometimes we have friends that aren't into things as much as we are, but having them there is more important.

For your case, I think you have to leave it as is. If you've never stepped in before to set precedent, you need to deal for this week and address it in the offseason with a rule.

Sorry, but this thread is a bit of a joke. The guy should be booted, but the OP keeps making excuses. You can't put complicated rules in place for a very simple solution. If you really don't want to boot the guy (which you obviously don't), force him to take on a co-owner who will pay attention.

Since you choose to not boot the owner, I suggest you write a new rule to try to avoid this for next year:

1. In the event an owner tanks, the commissioner will wring his hands and ask for help on a fantasy football message board. Then the commissioner will cancel the playoffs and give everyone their entry fee back, because the tanking made it impossible to determine the true winner of the league. No sense in a playoff facade due to lack of competitive integrity. The commissioner will quit and the league will determine a new one.

Dentist said:
voiceofunreason said:

You should re-evaluate these two clauses. Seriously.

It happens sometimes. This is the rule I put in to deal with it. Its not perfect, but it helps:

Rules:
Each team must field a competitive lineup each week. If any team starts a player on a bye week, I will remove that player and start your highest ranked bench player. If you do not have a backup on your bench, I will drop your lowest ranked bench player and add the highest ranked free agent at that position. If I do not notice it before gametime, the change will still be made after the fact.

I will not remove injured players from a starting lineup unless they are officially on IR. SET YOUR LINEUPS EVERY WEEK!!!

Each team is expected to field the best possible lineup each week. I reserve the right to override the lineup of any team that I deem to be "tanking" a game (in extreme circumstances only). Any trade that obviously does not, in my opinion, benefit both teams will be vetoed. Once a team trades a player away, he cannot receive that player back in any future trade. I am not responsible for Yahoo scoring decisions. Otherwise, all Yahoo Rules will govern.

Sometimes friendships are more important than the fantasy league. I commish a similar league and, unfortunately, I sometimes have to make a phone call and get someone to set their lineup. It takes me a few minutes, but we avoid these issues, and I can give them hell for having such an awful team. I know everybody is quick to point out the accountability piece, but sometimes we have friends that aren't into things as much as we are, but having them there is more important.

For your case, I think you have to leave it as is. If you've never stepped in before to set precedent, you need to deal for this week and address it in the offseason with a rule.
Great post. As commissioner of a long-standing league, I have had to call owners with gentle reminders to adjust their weekly lineups. On several occasions, an owner has requested I make the lineup change for them, which I have.

We also have a rule in place for absentee owners, allowing for the team to be managed by the Executive Committee (composed of the Commissioner and an elected representative from each Division), although we have never in 23 seasons had to exercise that option.

We all have busy lives outside of Fantasy Football, and it happens, especially around the holidays. Kicking an otherwise good owner out of a league for failing to make a lineup adjustment seems a bit harsh, especially in a league where you are dealing with friends and family. Instead, come up with some fun "award" to identify such a blunder. Perhaps call it the rubber chicken award and make the owner post a short video accepting this honor.

Dentist said:
voiceofunreason said:

You should re-evaluate these two clauses. Seriously.
to go with this.. it seems like since its not just a free random league it would be more of a reason to get him outta there and find someone who want to play.

1) Death/Death in Family

2) Accident

3) Emergency

4) illness

^ im sure there are a few more but those are the main reason for someone to not be able to get in a correct lineup.

it takes all of 2 minutes if that to set a line up.. and you have from tuesday day 12am until basically sunday 12:59 pm to set your line up.

Great post. As commissioner of a long-standing league, I have had to call owners with gentle reminders to adjust their weekly lineups. On several occasions, an owner has requested I make the lineup change for them, which I have.

We also have a rule in place for absentee owners, allowing for the team to be managed by the Executive Committee (composed of the Commissioner and an elected representative from each Division), although we have never in 23 seasons had to exercise that option.

We all have busy lives outside of Fantasy Football, and it happens, especially around the holidays. Kicking an otherwise good owner out of a league for failing to make a lineup adjustment seems a bit harsh, especially in a league where you are dealing with friends and family. Instead, come up with some fun "award" to identify such a blunder. Perhaps call it the rubber chicken award and make the owner post a short video accepting this honor.
for the length of time it'll take for him to make a video he could of set his line ups for the whole season

By all accounts he is not an otherwise good owner. He is a perennial problem. Boot him.

I wouldn't go down the road of trying to write rules to deal with deadbeat owners. That's a fool's errand.

I can respect not wanting to outright boot the guy from the league.

Maybe shoot him an email explaining the problem he's caused, and then conclude with a line like "perhaps you're too busy for fantasy football." That puts him on notice that he has to manage his team to the end. Now the ball is in his court to step aside or pay attention.

By all accounts he is not an otherwise good owner. He is a perennial problem. Boot him.
exactly as said earlier he probably cares the first 3-4 weeks of the year. if his team is doing well he keeps checking.

if not.. he quits.. thats a terrible owner and its not just a one time problem then.

this year i had a team who had doug martin, julio jones and gronk. yet still was able to field an ok roster on game days rather then completely tanking...

kick his ### out of the league.. unless your "the mystery guy" then you should just hang up the fantasy cleats upon year end

We are working this into our new rules:

Invalid lineup means a $50 first offense (immediately paid), $100 second, out for the 3rd, in a 5 year span. Life events will be considered by the Commish and validated and either way must be communicated.

Our entry fee is only $50. I feel this will keep people from doing it and will give them the opportunity to rebound from an accident.

Also, substitute owners are available and our commish can appoint one. Its all about communication.

once you noticed he wasnt setting a lineup you should have contacted him to warn him about it... if he continued to ignore it you kick him out of the league at the end of the season.... no need to over think this, if the guy doesnt have time thats not the league's fault.

I am not in favor of kicking him out of the league during the season because that means someone has to control his roster/team (unless you can find a new owner who is willing to pay/take over the team)

I don't get what the issue is. I'm in a league where teams sometimes give up and ignore bye weeks/injuries. It's not ideal, and it can occasionally be unfair, but if you don't want to kick the guy out, and you don't want to micromanage his lineup, then just live with it. It may change a few playoff scenarios, but it will not signify the End of the Human Race As We Know It.

We have the same issue in our league. One of our long time friends will typically stop submitting lineups by week 10 if he's out of it. We were very close to kicking him out until 2 years ago his wife died suddenly (she was only 30). We pretty much let it go now.

Sometimes things that seem important in the moment really aren't that big a deal when you step back and look at them.

We have the same issue in our league. One of our long time friends will typically stop submitting lineups by week 10 if he's out of it. We were very close to kicking him out until 2 years ago his wife died suddenly (she was only 30). We pretty much let it go now.

Sometimes things that seem important in the moment really aren't that big a deal when you step back and look at them.
That's enabling.

That's enabling.
One man's enabling is another's therapy.

It sucks, but the thing is, Dalton has been a better fantasy QB this year than Brady, so you can't use that example.
when dalton is on a bye and brady isnt you can which was the case in week 12
Yeah, that's bad, but starting Dalton over Brady this past week can't be considered tanking. But yeah, if someone is leaving in players who are on a bye, that is tanking (intentional or not) and should not be tolerated.

Invalid lineup means a $50 first offense (immediately paid), $100 second, out for the 3rd, in a 5 year span. Life events will be considered by the Commish and validated and either way must be communicated.

Our entry fee is only $50. I feel this will keep people from doing it and will give them the opportunity to rebound from an accident.

Also, substitute owners are available and our commish can appoint one. Its all about communication.
how do you force someone to immediately pay?

How do you charge someone if all reports say a player is in, then you leave to do "real life" stuff and that player has a setback during warm ups? I don't think an owner should communicate anything in that situation, because for all he knew that player was going to play, so he left to do something with the family. You can't tie owners to the computer every Sunday at game time, or even to their smartphone.

Dentist said:
voiceofunreason said:

Tell him to get his priorities straight !

Users who are viewing this thread