What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

computer/Amazon/Yahoo problem (1 Viewer)

Galileo

Footballguy
About 3 weeks ago, my wife wanted access to my/our Amazon account to make a purchase.  She texted me to get the password.  I sent it, but apparently there was a typo and, of course, it did not work.  Once I gave her the corrected password, she was prompted to change the password in order to continue.  Rather than going back and forth through text, I logged on and changed it.  Everything was fine until about three days ago, I try to go on to look at some stuff and I am prompted to log in.  I keep getting a message that the password is incorrect even though I am pretty certain what I am entering is what I changed it to.  I keep a written log of passwords to look back on as needed.  So I give up and figure, fine, I'll change the password again.  Going through the process, Amazon is supposed to send a code to my email that I need to enter in order to access my account to make the password change.  I have tried repeatedly over the last few days, but I never receive the email with the code.  The email account I am using with Amazon is a Yahoo account.  So I called Amazon support today.  Support rep, of course, tries sending me another email.  And keeps telling me he sent it.  I keep telling him I didn't get it.  He says he can see it in my inbox.  I am like "how can you see my inbox?"  He said something about it being in my Amazon inbox.  I remind him that I can not access my Amazon stuff, and that I should be getting the message sent to the yahoo email address linked to the account.  I see nothing in my yahoo email (check spam and other mailboxes as well...nothing).  After putting me on hold for about 10 minutes, he returns to tell me the problem is with Yahoo and that I would need to contact them to clear my filters.  I quickly check my Yahoo mail settings an I have no filters.  Amazon mailings have always come seamlessly to my inbox.  He insists that I call Yahoo and gives me the number.

I call Yahoo.  support tech there takes my info, puts me on hold for a while, comes back and tells me the problem is with my computer.  He claims there must be some sort of driver/server problem.  I ask him "are you certain?  I am not having trouble receiving emails from other senders".  He says something about some drivers linked with Amazon and that he could help me.  He wants to remotely access my computer to fix the issue.  I am always wary of this, but I figure, I called them, should be safe...OK.  As we are about to make the remote connection, he tells me that I would be charged a fee of $129 for the service.  Frustrated after wasting nearly an hour on this already, I said "Oh that's bull####."  He replies, "then I won't be able to help you, sir.  Goodbye."  *Click*

TLDR - Can't log into to Amazon,s o trying to change password.   Amazon blames Yahoo for access code not being delivered.  Yahoo blames corrupt drivers on my computer and wants $129 to fix it.

ETA:  It appears the corrupt driver excuse given to me earlier did not actually come from Yahoo.  It seems I was steered to some sort of support scam with the number I was given from the Amazon rep.  

Anyone know a fix to my issue?  Can repairing these drivers be fixed by an idiot like me without any expertise?  Are there really issues with my drivers or are they just blowing smoke up my ###?  Every other aspect of my email seems to be functioning just fine.

Options...

1. Find a fix myself (Google has not been helpful so far) 

2. Call Amazon again and see if they would send code to another destination.

3. Cancel Amazon membership completely and open a new account linked to a different email.

4. Pay the $129 and let Yahoo mess with my computer

5. Cancel Amazon.  Cancel Yahoo.  F 'em all and get off the grid.

6.  Other??

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried accessing your email from another device? Claiming email "drivers" is the problem sounds like a scam.

Pull up your yahoo mail in a web browser. Drivers on your computer should not impact which emails show up and which don't. I can't think of any realistic reason that would happen.  

Where did you get the Amazon support number from that you called?  Their number is 1 (888) 280-4331.  Yahoo is 1-888-884-1121

My first guess is  the Yahoo number was a scam.  If so, wondering if you got a scam Amazon number somehow too?

Have you tried accessing your email from another device? Claiming email "drivers" is the problem sounds like a scam.
Don't see anything from my phone either.  BUT...

I just looked in my trash for the yahoo email to see what the date was for the last Amazon message I received.  To my surprise, there are the messages that were sent today during the time of my conversation with the Amazon tech.  So, apparently, the Amazon messages went directly to my trash.  Maybe there is something to this driver/server issue.  But it can't be my computer...it is this way on my phone as well.  The issue has to be something related to Yahoo's delivery of the messages to me.  I looked through the trash and could not find any of the messages I should have received from the last couple days.

Just mark the Amazon mails as Not Spam and that should stop them from being filtered in the future.

Pull up your yahoo mail in a web browser. Drivers on your computer should not impact which emails show up and which don't. I can't think of any realistic reason that would happen.  

Where did you get the Amazon support number from that you called?  Their number is 1 (888) 280-4331.  Yahoo is 1-888-884-1121

My first guess is  the Yahoo number was a scam.  If so, wondering if you got a scam Amazon number somehow too?
That is the Amazon number I called.  That is NOT the Yahoo number I was given by the Amazon tech.  The number I was given was 1-800-340-2881.  I just googled that number, and it comes up as an AT&T tech support

I just got another message from Amazon delivered directly to my trash... a request for feedback about my experience today.  So, I have gone from not getting any messages from Amazon to them being delivered directly to my trash.  

I was able to use one of the links in the trashed message to reset my Amazon password successfully, so I am back in there.  I guess I'll go there and try to switch the email associated with the Amazon account moving forward  :shrug:  

That phone number I see listed as support for a bunch of places including Pacbell and Quickbooks. Probably a scammer then.

That phone number I see listed as support for a bunch of places including Pacbell and Quickbooks. Probably a scammer then.
If that is the case, then the Amazon support representative is funneling customers to it.

If that is the case, then the Amazon support representative is funneling customers to it.
Yes. Or I suppose it's possible he could have searched for their support number and found a scam link too.

In any event, probably worth letting Amazon know you were given a number that took you to a support scam.  They can figure out the how of it on their own.

Yes. Or I suppose it's possible he could have searched for their support number and found a scam link too.

In any event, probably worth letting Amazon know you were given a number that took you to a support scam.  They can figure out the how of it on their own.
Just did a support chat and reported the incident.  They say they will act on it.  Anyway, this support person tells me to try removing my email from the Amazon account and re adding.  Not sure what this will accomplish, but I guess I'll try it.  I just placed an order and the email confirmation, delayed more than normal, went directly to my trash.   Everything I have googled about messages going to trash tells me to remove and create new filters.  The problem is that I am not using any filters with this email account.

"Drivers" is absolutely the worse possible suggestion. Ditch Yahoo Mail for all except the junkiest of the junky junk mail.  I wouldn't even use Yahoo email for Papa John's orders.

"Drivers" is absolutely the worse possible suggestion. Ditch Yahoo Mail for all except the junkiest of the junky junk mail.  I wouldn't even use Yahoo email for Papa John's orders.
lol...that is why I have the Yahoo account at all.  Started using it years ago as the catch all junk account.  That eventually grew to any online shopping stuff I do.  Really helps keep the junk mail out of my primary email.  Anyway, it appears the "drivers" suggestion wasn't actually coming from Yahoo, but instead some scammer that I was referred to by the Amazon rep.  I am still not sure what is going on with Yahoo as to why all Amazon mail is suddenly going straight to my trash.  First time I have ever had an issue like this.

Just did a support chat and reported the incident.  They say they will act on it.  Anyway, this support person tells me to try removing my email from the Amazon account and re adding.  Not sure what this will accomplish, but I guess I'll try it.  I just placed an order and the email confirmation, delayed more than normal, went directly to my trash.   Everything I have googled about messages going to trash tells me to remove and create new filters.  The problem is that I am not using any filters with this email account.
You've probably come across this in searching, but it sounds like some people have a filter added that's just named . or something so it doesn't even look like a filter.  Have you tried clicking under the "+ Add new filters" link to see if there's one hidden there?

If nothing else, I think I'd set up an Amazon folder and try adding a filter for mail coming from Amazon to go to that folder and see what happens. 

Let's see how strong my google-fu is.  

This solution came up for the same problem you are having.

II just solved the same problem with help from the Yahoo Help community. Go to Settings/Account Security/Filters and look carefully at the Filters screen. The filter that sends incoming mail to trash is a period, looks like no more than a speck on your screen. Highlight and delete it. That fixed it for me. 
If you can't figure it out, I'll ask Mr R, the expert.  He's watching the Rockets right now.  I think he would be very grump if I disturbed him.  I avoid the grump.

You've probably come across this in searching, but it sounds like some people have a filter added that's just named . or something so it doesn't even look like a filter.  Have you tried clicking under the "+ Add new filters" link to see if there's one hidden there?

If nothing else, I think I'd set up an Amazon folder and try adding a filter for mail coming from Amazon to go to that folder and see what happens. 
Holy ####!  You're a genius.  I did not come across that in my search.  I also thought the filter list was empty, but sure enough there is a . there.  I didn't notice it.  I thought it was a speck of dust/dirt on my screen.  Sure enough, the filter says "deliver to 'trash' if From contains amazon".  How in the hell did that get there?

Holy ####!  You're a genius.  I did not come across that in my search.  I also thought the filter list was empty, but sure enough there is a . there.  I didn't notice it.  I thought it was a speck of dust/dirt on my screen.  Sure enough, the filter says "deliver to 'trash' if From contains amazon".  How in the hell did that get there?
Looks like my google-fu is good.  The dot probably got there through some malware you were unaware of.  Go find Malwarebytes and scrub your computers clean.

Let's see how strong my google-fu is.  

This solution came up for the same problem you are having.

If you can't figure it out, I'll ask Mr R, the expert.  He's watching the Rockets right now.  I think he would be very grump if I disturbed him.  I avoid the grump.
jhib beat you to it by a couple minutes, but thanks for the effort!

Definitely a good idea to change your yahoo password now - and afterwards probably change your amazon password again, too, just in case.

Seems like a dumb thing for malware to do.  I do have Malwarebytes which usually scans things automatically.  I will go force a scan...
If it were only part of a whole, maybe not.  It might prevent you from noticing a notification from a specific source long enough for some idiot to scam you.

A related trick has been used in phishing scams for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that Malwarebytes was gone from my computer.  I still had a shortcut for it on my desktop that went to nowhere...  I just downloaded Malwarebytes again and ran it...no threats found.   :shrug:

Use Lastpass - unclutter your memory (remember when you knew people's phone numbers?).

Users who are viewing this thread