What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Conference Championship Stat/Trivia (1 Viewer)

The Jerk

Footballguy
The Steelers are making their 14th appearance in a conference championship game (tying the Cowboys for most) and hosting their 10th (49ers have hosted 8), while the Eagles are appearing in their 5th NFCC out of 8 seasons. I thought I'd look up some other tidbits, interesting perhaps only to me but who knows.

I'm only old enough to remember the end of these streaks, but there was a time when the Raiders were consistently good and the Cowboys won playoff games (Sorry, cheap shots!):

From 1967-1977 (seasons), the Raiders appeared in 9 of 11 AFL/AFC championship games, winning two.

From 1966-1982 (seasons), the Cowboys appeared in 12 of 17 NFL/NFC championship games, winning five. (10 of the first 13 NFCC games, winning five.)

The Steelers have lost 5 of their previous 9 home AFCC games, most of any team (not a shock, since they've also hosted the most).

In the previous 38 conference championships, both the AFC and NFC have the exact same home/away split: 25-13 in favor of the home team.

Extending to the four league championships from 1966-1969 (Super Bowl era), the records are again the same: home winning 27-15.

NFC has seen divisional foes meet 5 times, but none since the 1989 season (49ers/Rams) -- all won by the home team (5-0)

AFC has seen divisional foes meet 10 times, but none since the 1999 season (Titans/Jaguars) -- home team is 6-4

Most common conference championship matchup is Cowboys/49ers (6 times, most recent in 1994 season)

The Arizona Cardinals appearance in the NFCC is their first, leaving only the Houston Texans without a conference championship appearance (not a shock as this is their 7th season).

In addition to the Cardinals and Texans, the Lions (0-1), Saints (0-1), Chiefs (0-1), Jaguars (0-2), Jets (0-2) and Browns (0-3) have never won a conference championship game. (The Jets and Chiefs won the last two AFL championship games and also the Super Bowl, but have not won an AFC championship.)

NFL championships (pre-Super Bowl era) were LAST won by the Browns in 1964, the Lions in 1957, and the Cardinals in 1947.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Steelers have lost 5 of their previous 9 home AFCC games, most of any team (not a shock, since they've also hosted the most).
It is still somewhat of a shock.The Bucs, Chargers, Browns, and Jags are all 0-1 in home Championship games. Everyone else who has hosted at least one Championship game (17 teams) is at least 0.500. If Pittsburgh wins, they'll get to 0.500.

dgreen said:
The Jerk said:
It is still somewhat of a shock.The Bucs, Chargers, Browns, and Jags are all 0-1 in home Championship games. Everyone else who has hosted at least one Championship game (17 teams) is at least 0.500. If Pittsburgh wins, they'll get to 0.500.
The Redskins are the only team with five conference championship home wins, and they went 5-0 to do it. No home losses!

dgreen said:
The Jerk said:
The Redskins are the only team with five conference championship home wins, and they went 5-0 to do it. No home losses!
Should be 4-0. I don't think you actually get credit for beating the Lions.

The Giants (2-0), Patriots (3-1), Broncos (2-1), Ravens (1-0), and Dolphins (1-0) are the only teams with winning records on the road in Championship games.

dgreen said:
The Jerk said:
In some ways, the record is even worse than it looks.The Steelers won three of their first four home AFCC games. In the past 28 seasons, they have gone 1-4 at home.1994: lost to SD 17-13 (bad loss, no other way to put it; up 13-3 in the second half)1995: beat INDY 20-161997: lost to Denver 24-21 (tough loss, but Denver had a better record and went on to win the next two Super Bowls)2001: lost to NE 24-17 (two special teams TDs by Pats, punt return and blocked FG)2004: lost to NE 41-27 (Pats simply the best team in the league)The SD game is the one that really stands out, although both the 1997 and 2001 games were eminently winnable. In some ways, I feel Cowher got too much blame for the losses. I believe he squeezed out every ounce of talent just to get to at least two of those AFCC games that he lost.

Only once has a Six gotten to this game before this year. The 2005 Steelers accomplished that feat, won this game, and won the super bowl. The 2005 Colts, 2008 Giants, and 2008 Titans are the only Ones to lose to a Six.

The Pittsburgh Steelers single-handedly secured the 37 year streak in which one of the few teams without and an A in their name were represented in the playoffs.

Road teams have won 9 of the last 20 Conference games - but in the last 10 years both road teams have not won in any year and both home teams have won in only one year (2006).

dgreen said:
The Jerk said:
In some ways, the record is even worse than it looks.The Steelers won three of their first four home AFCC games. In the past 28 seasons, they have gone 1-4 at home.1994: lost to SD 17-13 (bad loss, no other way to put it; up 13-3 in the second half)1995: beat INDY 20-161997: lost to Denver 24-21 (tough loss, but Denver had a better record and went on to win the next two Super Bowls)2001: lost to NE 24-17 (two special teams TDs by Pats, punt return and blocked FG)2004: lost to NE 41-27 (Pats simply the best team in the league)The SD game is the one that really stands out, although both the 1997 and 2001 games were eminently winnable. In some ways, I feel Cowher got too much blame for the losses. I believe he squeezed out every ounce of talent just to get to at least two of those AFCC games that he lost.
The '94 loss was the hardest to swallow, since the Steelers outplayed the Chargers big-time in that one (and I still believe that Steelers team was better than the '95 team that went to the Superbowl). Actually it was a very similar game to Tennesee/Baltimore just last weekend...Tennesee moved the ball up and down the field easily against Baltimore but just couldn't put up points. 2001 loss to Pats was hard as well, just by what you've stated above...a bunch of flukey special teams plays all in 1 game that swung the score-board 17 pts.)Denver manned up and beat the Steelers in 1997. New England was really strong in 2004.

Users who are viewing this thread