What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Confession time: I really don't like Christmas (1 Viewer)

glvsav37

Footballguy
There I've said it. I don't particularly enjoy this season, as a matter of fact, it gets me more frustrated and angry most of the month then any other time of year.

I don't know exactly why or when I started disliking it. I have a normal family—wife, and teen-aged kids—both parents are still around. I had a good healthy upbringing, growing up we always enjoyed the holiday and Santa was good to me and my siblings. There is no real trauma or other injustice in my life that would cause me to feel the way I feel about it. But every year I feel less and less engaged in this season.

I think for me, a lot of it is this forced "you have to be merry NOW" expectation. As soon as the turkey is carved (and lately weeks before) all of a sudden its all or nothing Christmas music, hours of decorating, and the mad rush to start shopping for every single person who crossed your path that year. And god forbid the pressure of "who did I forget," or "should we get them something because they might get us something" drama. Shopping and gift-giving is a huge part of it. I want to help spread some cheer, but my bank account is only sooo cheerful, its not like Santa made my mortgage go away for the month, and the stress of finding those "prefect gifts" is overwhelming IMO. We seem to live in a day and age where if someone wanted it—and it was within my gift budget—they've already bought it for themselves, and the thought of giving a random sweater or hat and glove set is just inauthentic to me.

Personally, I find Christmas music grating. This is never music I would willingly listen to, Maraiha Carry or Bing Crosby would never make a playlist of mine any other time of the year, but everywhere I turn they are on 24-7 now. And I'm supposed to be like "OMG, isn't this so beautiful, so magical?" I live in suburban Long Island, I don't dream of white Christmases because I will never have one. If I had a dream, it would be of someone magically coming by and removing the 3 inches of dead, brown leaves I have to deal with on my lawn on top of all the other holiday chores I have to do. After 11 months of everyone telling each other to F-off and pissing on the other's political choices, now we are all expected to hold hands and listen to the gifts of the little drummer boy?

Decorating is another thing that drives me crazy this time of year. I'm all for some simple white lights outlining the house, a few red bows, and natural green garland.....but most of the houses by me have so much "stuff" it's like Chris Cringle threw up on their lawn. So many colored lights and these inflatables, one bigger than the next until you can't even see the house. It sends me into epileptic fits. I swear my 2 neighbors are in a competition to see who can break the electrical grid first.

But to be honest, I hate that I feel this way, like really hate it. Every year I tell myself to chill, sit back and enjoy it, but eventually, it just comes back. And I am afraid that one day, when the parents have passed on, and the kids are old and out of the house, that I'll have ****ed up and lost all that time I should have been more chill.

Idk...IDK why I even wrote this. But it just seems like this year more than in the past, I have zero Christmas joy. My business is not doing well and "happy new year" is looking like a "crappy new year" for the economy making turning the business even harder. This accident I just had has me frustrated beyond belief b/c any of the minimal time I have to try and enjoy or relax is now out trying to replace this vehicle with something I'm basically losing money on while also fighting with the insurance company. We are 2 weeks out and I have not put a single light on my house b/c of the time I'm spending trying to do that along with my kid's normal weekend activities that keep us busy. I feel that if we make it to Christmas and I have not done even that bare minimum of decorating outside that I've failed my family and kids and took away their enjoyable Christmas visions.

IDK, every year we sit around the table and say "I can't believe it's Christmas already" but each year Christmas gets more and more of a dread then enjoyment for me.

hate bein the grinch...but I guess someone has to

I share some of your sentiments, but for me it’s usually the only time I can completely shut down from work for a 2 weeks

I like the decorating and the Christmas music and seeing friends and family that I seem to see less and less of

What I honestly don’t enjoy anymore is the gift giving, just feel forced and that I end up spending tons of money just so everyone has something to open. I’d rather just buy stuff as needed throughout the year.

I share some of your sentiments as well. Biggest issue for me is I was previously married with 2 children, my wife was previously married with 2 children and we have one together. Every year it is such a battle trying to figure out who is going to have Christmas and when. It seems like everyone wants it on Christmas day and are not happy if they don't get their way. Throw in my family (Parents, Siblings and spouses) and her family trying to plan get togethers and it can be very stressful.

In some ways Covid was a blessing. My mom is in a nursing home (very young to be in a home, but she had a stroke 8 years ago and has to be in there for care). We would always have my side of the family Holidays in the nursing home. When covid hit, it of course shut the nursing home down. The first year my wife planned the family Christmas but none of my siblings really wanted to have it because mom couldn't be there. Last year my wife gave up planning it and we never did have Christmas unfortunately. My mother in law always insisted on having Christmas on Christmas day and always wanted all of the grandkids there and was disappointed when they weren't. I have finally gotten her convinced that Christmas does not have to be on Christmas if all of the kids can be present. Also my father in law passed away last year and my brother in law passed away in October so it is just my wife and her mom now.

Having grandkids also makes Christmas a lot more fun. This will be our 2nd Christmas with grandkids (son's wife was previously married, has 2 from previous and they have a daughter that just turned 1). The joy in their eyes is so special and the innocence of them loving whatever grandpa and grandma get them is fun to watch.

I guess by typing this I can relate to some of your feelings, but someday it will get better and don't beat yourself up over it. There is nothing like the feeling of having all of the kids home after they leave the house. There is also nothing like the feeling of a big hug from your grandkids because you are their grandparent.

My current annoyance is Christmas cards… I don’t really care about them (and not sure any recipient really cares about them). But I had to spend part of my evening finding out addresses of people who have moved, with people probably wondering what year it is when I ask them for their mailing address. And I guess I’m the jerk if I don’t help stuff and seal all of these ******* envelopes.

Last edited:
Why do we do this to ourselves?

I'm not there on Christmas, per se, but in general the American middle aged father has unrealistic expectations about life they either place on themselves or feel family/society places on them.

As men, we are not very good at dealing with or expressing our disappointments and failures. I've found people are usually more forgiving of us than we are of ourselves and if we just tell those close to us (wife, siblings, friends, etc) how we actually feel about something like this it goes a long way to help ease the burden and possibly find some relief or solutions.

As for Christmas itself, I try to spend some time thinking about the Spiritual aspects of the season to put life into proper perspective. If I think about how Jesus took on humanity or that our lives are but a part in God's grand plan and things aren't supposed to always look good or glamorous then it helps me understand that a decorated house and getting just the right gift aren't a big deal. Love and relationships are all that matter and if I work on that, then everything else just becomes no big deal whether its good or bad.

I'm pretty indifferent about Christmas. The gift giving is ridiculous.

Generosity is wonderful and the most fun thing you can ever do with money is give it away. That's completely different than a yearly tradition of buying a bunch of crap. I largely don't participate in that. I've finally revealed this over the last few years, which was a little hard because my family loves Christmas.

The only thing worse than having to waste time running around stores (or even just online) to buy a bunch of stupid stuff is receiving stuff. Here's a hot take, you know why men don't tend to care as much about Christmas? Because we are usually in charge of waste management for the house. Every stupid thing that comes into the house is eventually going to have to be removed at some point.

And for society? We have a nation drowning in debt with landfills overflowing from the stupid crap we buy. I guess it's fitting that we have a holiday to celebrate this.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to you and yours.

I definitely feel this way. I work as a wholesaler and bartend on the side. Everything is for everyone else’s enjoyment. My downtime is dedicated to caregiving, really my only family I contact. I do whatever to make their possible last Xmas enjoyable. I don’t have kids or any sig other, so my Xmas basically consists of making drinks for those parties. I just want to sleep on that weekend, but it won’t happen.

Caregiving burnout is real.

So let me get this right, the guy who loves everything Disney and can't get enough of it, hates Christmas, the only other thing that invades our lives to such an incessant degree.

Huh?!

Also such a post requires a severe consequence, suspension likely coming...

ETA - If you couldn't tell, I'm the living representation of Buddy the Elf, which I just watched last night!

I share some of your sentiments, but for me it’s usually the only time I can completely shut down from work for a 2 weeks

I like the decorating and the Christmas music and seeing friends and family that I seem to see less and less of

What I honestly don’t enjoy anymore is the gift giving, just feel forced and that I end up spending tons of money just so everyone has something to open. I’d rather just buy stuff as needed throughout the year.
I've definitely given up on gifts, I'm trying to get everyone else on board

We used to draw names for my siblings and their and our adult children. We stopped doing that last year.
Should’ve stopped years ago. Now we all just buy gifts for the little ones.

We used to draw names for my siblings and their and our adult children. We stopped doing that last year.
Should’ve stopped years ago. Now we all just buy gifts for the little ones.

Yeah that was always a pain, especially once the kids were a little older. Basically had to find something cheap that nobody really wanted just so they had something to open

Last year the kids did kind of a gag gift white elephant exchange, I think we kept it at like $5 gift so it was worth it for the fun of it

This year the women are doing some sort of Saran Wrap ball with candy and gift cards wrapped up and for the kids. Not sure exactly how it works but seems like it should go over well

My current annoyance is Christmas cards… I don’t really care about them (and not sure any recipient really cares about them). But I had to spend part of my evening finding out addresses of people who have moved, with people probably wondering what year it is when I ask them for their mailing address. And I guess I’m the jerk if I don’t help stuff and seal all of these ******* envelopes.
This, and the letter that sometimes goes with it. My Sister-in-law prints a two-sided 8 1/2" x 11" letter complete with photos basically bragging about their whole year.

So let me get this right, the guy who loves everything Disney and can't get enough of it, hates Christmas, the only other thing that invades our lives to such an incessant degree.

Huh?!

ETA - If you couldn't tell, I'm the living representation of Buddy the Elf, which I just watched last night!
TBH, Even Disney has been on my grinch list for a while now. Vacationing there has just become too much of a process and a hassle. The pressure to "Get it right," insane added costs and overcrowding has overshadowed the ability to have fun and relax....so the more I think about it, my issues with both are kinda aligned.

Last edited:
I love Christmas.
thats wonderful and I kind of envy you and those that can enjoy it.

I really wish I could. But for whatever reason, its not something I enjoy, and on top of that, if you make that known then all of a sudden I'm made to feel like some ****ty grinch outcast who has no joy in life.

I definitely feel this way. I work as a wholesaler and bartend on the side. Everything is for everyone else’s enjoyment. My downtime is dedicated to caregiving, really my only family I contact. I do whatever to make their possible last Xmas enjoyable. I don’t have kids or any sig other, so my Xmas basically consists of making drinks for those parties. I just want to sleep on that weekend, but it won’t happen.

sorry my man....I can imagine how all of that is a drain.

And not to make light of your situation, this is the thing that kills me about all of this. I have an otherwise normal, good life. I dont have nearly the draining responsibilities or issues you have to deal with on a daily basis. So for all accounts, I feel terribly guilty that I have plenty to be thankful for, but still can't find the overall enjoyment in the season.

sorry my man....I can imagine how all of that is a drain.

And not to make light of your situation, this is the thing that kills me about all of this. I have an otherwise normal, good life. I dont have nearly the draining responsibilities or issues you have to deal with on a daily basis. So for all accounts, I feel terribly guilty that I have plenty to be thankful for, but still can't find the overall enjoyment in the season.
Trust me, people have it worse than me. It’s all about perspective.

I love Christmas as a holiday but it also brings alot of stress. I'm a CPA who works for a Payroll/HR company so I know it's my last bit of "calm" before 2 months of audits, tax filings, just a crap ton of work. Combined with being in the upper midwest we also have ridiculous cold and dark days to just add to this miserable time of year. Can't wait for retirement lol.

I am not a fan of Christmas for a lot of reasons that you stated (and would add that usually we spend about a day or two too many with family where inevitably drama or tension hits), but as somebody else stated it's a rare time where I can turn off work for a couple of days. Also, there's usually the fantasy playoffs going on at that time. So, I am pretty neutral on the holiday as a whole.

Last edited:

Huh?!

TBH, Even Disney has been on my grinch list for a while now. Vacationing there has just become too much of a process and a hassle. The pressure to "Get it right," insane added costs and overcrowding has overshadowed the ability to have fun and relax....so the more I think about it, my issues with both are kinda aligned.
Well, that makes unfortunate sense. Just went to Disney in September, best trip I ever had a i for to use the DAS pass. Amazing!

Funny. We did the tree but I can't motivate myself to do anything else. Youngest keeps asking to do the outside stuff and I'm like, yeah we'll get to it...

I loath Christmas cards unless there is an annual update from the sender with a cute picture of the family (with pets) and a short story telling us how happy their lives are and how much their kids have grown up. It's kind of like a manual, once-a-year Facebook update and I'm okay with that.

If you're not giving me an update and just signing your name to the card, save the paper.

Now we all just buy gifts for the little ones.
Most of the adults in both mine and my wife's family will discuss Xmas gift-giving among ourselves sometimes, and we generally agree that Christmas gifts are really for the children. I'd add to that -- Christmas gift-giving can often be a special thing for young lovers, fiances, and newlyweds.

Otherwise, though, the holiday season would be a lot less stressful if gift-giving were understated by custom. One thing that used to be more common was, among adults (family or not) to give bake goods or candy or other foodstuffs (beverages included). Homemade or not, depending on one's proclivities. I know plenty of people still do this, but I'd love it if giving an inexpensive present of food or drink was more widely considered a good-faith fulfillment of the gift-giving requirements between adults. Things like jewelry, clothing, electronics, etc. can be difficult to pick out cold for someone else.

Now we all just buy gifts for the little ones.
Most of the adults in both mine and my wife's family will discuss Xmas gift-giving among ourselves sometimes, and we generally agree that Christmas gifts are really for the children. I'd add to that -- Christmas gift-giving can often be a special thing for young lovers, fiances, and newlyweds.

Otherwise, though, the holiday season would be a lot less stressful if gift-giving were understated by custom. One thing that used to be more common was, among adults (family or not) to give bake goods or candy or other foodstuffs (beverages included). Homemade or not, depending on one's proclivities. I know plenty of people still do this, but I'd love it if giving an inexpensive present of food or drink was more widely considered a good-faith fulfillment of the gift-giving requirements between adults. Things like jewelry, clothing, electronics, etc. can be difficult to pick out cold for someone else.
I remember when my wife and I would just buy something big for the house as "our gift" to each other. It was like furniture for the den or a new bed. Once the kids came we spent them money on them and it became this dance of here's something little "from them" even though I bought it, and then this "here's something but you'll prob return it" gift just to have something to open.

Gummies are your friend
I'll share my holiday gummies story. Just had my in-laws here "for Thanksgiving." I put that in quotes because they were here 12 days. Yes, 12. It's unbelievable. At least they didn't actually stay at our house. But still. It's horrific.

So I was already well past sick of them by the time the actual holiday was over. The day after Thanksgiving, I was supposed to go wine tasting with my wife and her parents. The in-laws are snobs in a lot of ways, but none moreso than when it comes to wine. So it was going to be extra-excruciating.

My wife and I have three sets of gummies in the house that we use in varying amounts: ones for sleep, ones for chilling out and ones for having giggle fits.

I've never had the ones for chilling out before. But my wife has a stressful job and kind of loses her mind on Sundays as she anticipates going back to work on Monday, so she'll use the anti-anxiety ones on Sundays if she feels extra stressed out.

So, I figured that Friday morning was the perfect day for me to try out those gummies. If I ever needed to chill out, it was going to be for the next few hours of wine tasting with her parents. So, my wife usually takes one, so I took two of them.

(Narrator's note: This is where I announce that her usual dose of these gummies is a half, not a full one. So me taking two means I just took four times the amount she normally takes.)

We head off to the winery - wife is driving (this is called foreshadowing) - about 11:30 a.m., and I figure it could take anywhere from 45-90 minutes for the gummies to start kicking in. It's about a 20-minute drive, then we get seated in this sort of tent area with big space heaters, etc.

Next thing I know, my teeth start buzzing. I don't know what that means, but they did. All my senses seemed heightened. I'm half-deaf, and I was picking up full conversations in other rooms. Every time I try to focus on something, I get one of these Alfred Hitchcock vertigo effects. I'm drinking water hand over fist.

Then the blackouts start. I'll be looking at my father-in-law, nodding along as usual, and then all of the sudden he says something that is so out of place and so out of context, that I know I couldn't possibly have heard several sentences prior to that.

And it's not going away.

Then at one point, my wife says, "Oh, these are big pours here, you better drive the rest of the day, honey."

So I'm freaking out. If we were with anyone else on earth, I just would've shared the fact that I was baked and out on my feet. No big deal. But if I said I was "on drugs" to her parents, they would've called the police (yeah, it's legal here) and when that failed tried to drive me straight to an ER or a rehab facility themselves.

Time is standing still. I'm really starting to get a little worried, because this high is not like any other high I've had from the different gummies I've used before. So I just don't know where this is headed exactly or when it's going to stop.

I keep blacking out. I keep drinking water. I keep looking at everyone, trying to find some sign that they recognize something is wrong with me. Nothing.

We finally finish up at the first place and are walking out to the car to go to the second place. It feels like I'm walking on a trampoline. So I hang back behind my in-laws and grab my wife. "I can't drive. I'm so freaking baked."

"Are you serious? What did you take?" she asks.

"I took two of yours."

"TWO????!!!!!!"

It was glorious, Blue.

I enjoy the day itself and the time off around it but I can't stand the build-up to it. Hate the Christmas commercials that begin on November 1st, hearing Christmas music right after Thanksgiving every time you walk into certain stores. (There really should be a law regarding Christmas music. You can play it the week of Christmas but no sooner.) We just stopped with the Christmas cards about 7-8 years ago and never looked back. Too much work.

We all wonder why time feels like it's flying. Part of the reason is because we look too far forward when it comes to the holidays. Two months gone in a blur because people need to hear Winter Wonderland for the 10,000th time starting on the morning after Halloween. Blast that stuff to your hearts content on the 24th and 25th but before that please think of the rest of us.

Gummies are your friend
I'll share my holiday gummies story. Just had my in-laws here "for Thanksgiving." I put that in quotes because they were here 12 days. Yes, 12. It's unbelievable. At least they didn't actually stay at our house. But still. It's horrific.

So I was already well past sick of them by the time the actual holiday was over. The day after Thanksgiving, I was supposed to go wine tasting with my wife and her parents. The in-laws are snobs in a lot of ways, but none moreso than when it comes to wine. So it was going to be extra-excruciating.

My wife and I have three sets of gummies in the house that we use in varying amounts: ones for sleep, ones for chilling out and ones for having giggle fits.

I've never had the ones for chilling out before. But my wife has a stressful job and kind of loses her mind on Sundays as she anticipates going back to work on Monday, so she'll use the anti-anxiety ones on Sundays if she feels extra stressed out.

So, I figured that Friday morning was the perfect day for me to try out those gummies. If I ever needed to chill out, it was going to be for the next few hours of wine tasting with her parents. So, my wife usually takes one, so I took two of them.

(Narrator's note: This is where I announce that her usual dose of these gummies is a half, not a full one. So me taking two means I just took four times the amount she normally takes.)

We head off to the winery - wife is driving (this is called foreshadowing) - about 11:30 a.m., and I figure it could take anywhere from 45-90 minutes for the gummies to start kicking in. It's about a 20-minute drive, then we get seated in this sort of tent area with big space heaters, etc.

Next thing I know, my teeth start buzzing. I don't know what that means, but they did. All my senses seemed heightened. I'm half-deaf, and I was picking up full conversations in other rooms. Every time I try to focus on something, I get one of these Alfred Hitchcock vertigo effects. I'm drinking water hand over fist.

Then the blackouts start. I'll be looking at my father-in-law, nodding along as usual, and then all of the sudden he says something that is so out of place and so out of context, that I know I couldn't possibly have heard several sentences prior to that.

And it's not going away.

Then at one point, my wife says, "Oh, these are big pours here, you better drive the rest of the day, honey."

So I'm freaking out. If we were with anyone else on earth, I just would've shared the fact that I was baked and out on my feet. No big deal. But if I said I was "on drugs" to her parents, they would've called the police (yeah, it's legal here) and when that failed tried to drive me straight to an ER or a rehab facility themselves.

Time is standing still. I'm really starting to get a little worried, because this high is not like any other high I've had from the different gummies I've used before. So I just don't know where this is headed exactly or when it's going to stop.

I keep blacking out. I keep drinking water. I keep looking at everyone, trying to find some sign that they recognize something is wrong with me. Nothing.

We finally finish up at the first place and are walking out to the car to go to the second place. It feels like I'm walking on a trampoline. So I hang back behind my in-laws and grab my wife. "I can't drive. I'm so freaking baked."

"I took two of yours."

"TWO????!!!!!!"

It was glorious, Blue.
That was a good laugh. Thanks. I needed that.

Oh yeah WELL,

My SiL moved to Florida this past summer/fall .... she is coming to visit her kids and stay with us for 3 days. no biggie .....
She texts my wife, hey I'm going to bring my dog - can you find someone to watch your dog since they can't be around each other :lmao:

GTFO with that. I told my wife if you cave on this I'm going to a hotel for the week. I hate her sister ftr

Gummies are your friend

And it's not going away.

"I took two of yours."

"TWO????!!!!!!"

It was glorious, Blue.
:lmao: this sums up so perfectly what happens when one overshoots the landing to the Gummieville airport.

Huh?!

don't want to hijack this thread, but could elaborate on some of this in your Disney thread? like what insane added costs - the stuff becoming too much of a process and hassle.

even years ago, the fast pass process was ok - but had some complicated aspects to it - now the whole thing seems really intimidating ...

I don't mind planning, I kind of even like it, but we also like taking it easy and not running around to a schedule - I mean it is vacation

Oh yeah WELL,

My SiL moved to Florida this past summer/fall .... she is coming to visit her kids and stay with us for 3 days. no biggie .....
She texts my wife, hey I'm going to bring my dog - can you find someone to watch your dog since they can't be around each other :lmao:

GTFO with that. I told my wife if you cave on this I'm going to a hotel for the week. I hate her sister ftr
Wow.

Huh?!

don't want to hijack this thread, but could elaborate on some of this in your Disney thread? like what insane added costs - the stuff becoming too much of a process and hassle.

even years ago, the fast pass process was ok - but had some complicated aspects to it - now the whole thing seems really intimidating ...

I don't mind planning, I kind of even like it, but we also like taking it easy and not running around to a schedule - I mean it is vacation
when was the last time you were there? A lot has changed, but based on your last visit, that could be somewhere between "A lot" and "holy **** this isn't even the same place"

I don't mind Christmas, but I resent the idea that "It's the most wonderful time of the year!" and we should all magically be happy.

It's the LEAST wonderful time of the year. It's cold and it's dark 16 hours a day. Historically, humans celebrate the winter solstice because this is as bad as it's gonna get and we're still alive. That's what Christmas means to me - yeah, everything is kinda bleak right now, but have a beer and some food with friends and family and we'll all get through it together. Not "listen to terrible music and participate in compulsory gift exchange or you're a soulless monster".

Users who are viewing this thread