What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Count-down to lock out? Extended till Friday March 11th! (1 Viewer)

bicycle_seat_sniffer

Smells like chicken
WASHINGTON -- The subject of "stopping the clock" on the current collective bargaining agreement in order to allow for more time to negotiate is being discussed Thursday, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Doing so would allow for the sides to continue negotiating a new deal beyond Thursday's 11:59 p.m. ET deadline and would, in essence, begin a period of no football activity -- halting any player transactions.

The NFL entered Thursday's session prepared to reveal more financial data, the source said. The NFL Players Association has been asking for the owners to open their books and reveal more economic data about expenses and revenue. After meeting with mediator George Cohen on Wednesday night, the source said, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and his negotiating team were in a position where they would be inclined to reveal more financials at Thursday's session.

A time extension or "stopping the clock" occured during the 2006 labor negotiations, and a deal ultimately was collectively bargained. The NFLPA also is prepared to decertify Thursday should there be no deal or extension.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

The Executive Committee of the NFL Management Council already is empowered to enact a lockout, as well.

There is no set time to break Thursday's talks, according to sources, though particularly in the case of "stopping the clock" the process would require a signature from Judge David Doty and paperwork that would have to be executed by late afternoon.

Link for more:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e95bf8/article/league-set-to-bring-more-financial-data-to-negotiating-table?module=HP_headlines

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see how this would benefit the owners at all. I thought they wanted this to expire so they could get out from under Judge Doty's thumb.

My first thought would be that this means both sides feel they are making good progress towards a settlement. If things weren't going well then there would be no reason to extend the deadline. My hope means they feel they are moving towards a resolution.

I don't see how this would benefit the owners at all. I thought they wanted this to expire so they could get out from under Judge Doty's thumb.
On the flip side, the players stand a better chance of getting a "good" deal now then in September when they have to settle for what the owners ram down their throats because half of the players can't afford to miss paycheck(s).

An update at the same link in the original post:

According to NFL Network's Albert Breer, the NFL offered the extension of the CBA deadline, but the union wants the league to more thoroughly demonstrate that it's serious about negotiating in good faith toward a deal. A source said the union finds the league's current extension offer "unsatisfactory," because the owners won't go with "language to ensure progress and not just a delay of game."

Both parties in the room Thursday can approve the idea of "stopping the clock" without further approval from people on their sides.

An update at the same link in the original post:According to NFL Network's Albert Breer, the NFL offered the extension of the CBA deadline, but the union wants the league to more thoroughly demonstrate that it's serious about negotiating in good faith toward a deal. A source said the union finds the league's current extension offer "unsatisfactory," because the owners won't go with "language to ensure progress and not just a delay of game."Both parties in the room Thursday can approve the idea of "stopping the clock" without further approval from people on their sides.
According to the latest update on NFL.com, momentum is building for extending the deadline as negotiations today have lasted for 8 hours.

'BeTheMatch said:
'ConnSKINS26 said:
Its official, 24 hour extension.
LaCanfora seems to think it's going to lead to a longer extension.
Maybe if Goodell didn't have to check with the ownership group about every decision during the negotiations they would be closer to a resolution by now.http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-goodellsmithcba030311

'BeTheMatch said:
'ConnSKINS26 said:
Maybe if Goodell didn't have to check with the ownership group about every decision during the negotiations they would be closer to a resolution by now.http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-goodellsmithcba030311
yeah that seems really dumb. Why not give the commmish power?? or have someone in the room with that power.

The players have agreed to an additional 7-10 day extension. Today the mediator tries to convince the NFL to do the same.

link

second link

The players have agreed to an additional 7-10 day extension. Today the mediator tries to convince the NFL to do the same.

link
interesting, seems like the recent Doty decision has given the players more leverage than I though. the de-cert by the union would also throw everything into court. I dont think the owners want to go there.

CBA deal 'highly achievable' within 2 weeks?Yahoo's Michael Silver reports enough progress was made Thursday that the NFL and the NFL Players Association "will almost certainly be headed for a settlement" if they can agree to a one- or two-week extension in CBA talks by the end of the day Friday.If a deal is not reached, one source tells Silver "it will be Armageddon" with the union decertifying and filing a class-action, anti-trust suit against the owners. Commissioner Roger Goodell and labor chief DeMaurice Smith have emerged as voices of reason while factions from each side maintain a radical stance. The owners seem to have adopted a more conciliatory tone since Judge Doty's decision that TV money won't be available during a lockout. Owners are no longer insisting on $2 billion off the top, but will receive more than $1 billion in addition to an 18-game season and a rookie wage scale. Mar 4, 8:49 AM

I'm surprised that the players appear willing to accept the 18 game schedule, but maybe that is the compromise needed to avoid having the $2 billion skimmed off the top of the revenue available to them.

I'm surprised that the players appear willing to accept the 18 game schedule, but maybe that is the compromise needed to avoid having the $2 billion skimmed off the top of the revenue available to them.
The players may never have really been against it. If they give back revenue off the top, adding 2 games is a way to get that revenue back.

SI's Jim Trotter reports that CBA discussions have been extended seven days, not the originally reported ten.It's hard to imagine there being a big difference. Optimism remains that the sides can strike an agreement within two weeks at the latest, and another extension is always a possibility if no deal is finalized in that seven-day window. To reiterate, no roster moves can be made during the extension. Free agency could occur before the April's draft if a CBA

'BeTheMatch said:
'ConnSKINS26 said:
yeah that seems really dumb. Why not give the commmish power?? or have someone in the room with that power.
Because the commissioner's job is to do what's best for the league, and the owners don't want that kind of bias. They want what's best for the owners. He's a good commissioner, but he's not one of "them." They're not going to give him negotiating power when it's their money. Football? Sure. But not their money. They might give Jerry Jones that kind of power...but they would also like to get a deal done.

link
interesting, seems like the recent Doty decision has given the players more leverage than I though. the de-cert by the union would also throw everything into court. I dont think the owners want to go there.
Out of curiosity, why did you not think the ruling would significantly increase the players' leverage? I thought it was kind of the lynchpin of the whole dispute, but admittedly I'm not an expert on the details of the negotiation.

'BeTheMatch said:
'ConnSKINS26 said:
Because the commissioner's job is to do what's best for the league, and the owners don't want that kind of bias. They want what's best for the owners. He's a good commissioner, but he's not one of "them." They're not going to give him negotiating power when it's their money. Football? Sure. But not their money. They might give Jerry Jones that kind of power...but they would also like to get a deal done.
Is this true? I thought ultimately sports commissioners act on behalf of the owners. They're sort of a go-between for the owners, players and public, but ultimately it's basically a position created for and by the owners. The only act in the best interest of the "league" in the sense that you consider the owners and the league to be the same thing. In other words, the NFL is the teams, the teams are the owners, and therefore the NFL Commissioner works for the owners.

From a football standpoint, there are a number of teams in very bad shape if a deal doesn't get done before the draft, too. I know as a Titans fan, we have a brand new coaching staff, and the thought of having to draft a rookie QB and let him sit on his own with no contact from coaches for 3-4 months was a bleak outlook.

If a deal can get done, the Titans could try to trade for Palmer, sign McNabb and possibly field a decent team this year.

I know money is huge, but the football part of this can't be overlooked either. It's bad business for this thing to drag on.

link
Out of curiosity, why did you not think the ruling would significantly increase the players' leverage? I thought it was kind of the lynchpin of the whole dispute, but admittedly I'm not an expert on the details of the negotiation.
At the time it was downplayed bigtime by the owners. But since the ruling, things seem to be getting more positive with each day. I have to think that ruling played a huge part in the improved negotiations.

link
I thought the owners has been preparing for a long time for this move, even with or without the 4billion they would lock em out.The real issue I think is that the owners dont want to go back to Doty's court for anything, so they figure negotiating is probably the best way to go

link
I thought the owners has been preparing for a long time for this move, even with or without the 4billion they would lock em out.The real issue I think is that the owners dont want to go back to Doty's court for anything, so they figure negotiating is probably the best way to go
I see where you were coming from. Thanks.

link
seriously if the owners were really only counting on that money and they knew that it was going to Dotys court, they were foolish to think that he wouldnt rule in the players favor. Maybe the owners thought that the players wouldnt challenge the money? who knows.

link
seriously if the owners were really only counting on that money and they knew that it was going to Dotys court, they were foolish to think that he wouldnt rule in the players favor. Maybe the owners thought that the players wouldnt challenge the money? who knows.
Well, they wouldn't have needed to be "counting on" that money in order to take the position they took prior to the ruling. They could have taken that position in the hopes that the ruling would be in their favor, and then changed their position if they were wrong. There's really no downside to that strategy, other than a little PR hit.

interesting, seems like the recent Doty decision has given the players more leverage than I though.
I think that ruling changed everything. It seems like the owners were seriously counting on that $4 billion to tide over the clubs that would struggle with stadium payments, etc. during a lockout. Once the judge ruled that they don't have access to the $4 billion, and set up a hearing to discuss damages and what to do with the money, the owners agreed to a 1-day extension within 2 days and agreed to another 10-day extension the day after that. I don't think the owners were serious about talks until the judge's decision, thinking "why compromise, we've still got income?"

Users who are viewing this thread