What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Covid Scammers (1 Viewer)

The General

Footballguy
Listened to a great podcast from The Daily about this issue (The Great Pandemic Theft; Sept 27). They interviewed a reporter who has been covering Covid grift and fraud that occurred and he did an excellent job exposing how and why it was so easy during the Pandemic.

A very complex issue with a lot of angles but the main part - people stealing should piss off everyone equally.

The Feds are beginning to track down the biggest culprits. In this case a quarter of a billion stolen: Minneapolis Grifters

I hadn’t heard about this and we can agree these assholes need to go to prison. Thousands and thousands of others will likely just walk because the number of scammers is just so high. Sounds like ******** to me, I say track em all down but I digress.

The scarier issue is the government isn’t prepared for this type of thing and they should be.

You’re correct, we were not prepared. It was destined to be a nightmare when the gov is passing out the PPP money right away without thinking it thru.

Reading a bit more this group was busted. They pushed back taking advantage even further of the desperate times we were in using the guide of hungry kids as props. Officials strongly suspected they were lying but had to proceed and allow it to be cleaned up later.

These people need to go to serious prison.

You’re correct, we were not prepared. It was destined to be a nightmare when the gov is passing out the PPP money right away without thinking it thru.
I mean there was no being prepared and getting money out fast was key trying to give benefit of the doubt to all involved.

The reporter did a good job of covering this aspect as well - this podcast is great by the way on all types of topics.

Now we should be getting this addressed though.

If only some FBI agents had been less busy, maybe some of these scammers wouldn't have gotten out of the country.
Maybe we need some more agents.

One issue brought up that was wholly aggravating was that you could (paraphrasing) basically just apply for 10K during the pandemic. For speed it was all done on honor system with the threat that the Feds know who you are. Well to no ones surprise pieces of **** took advantage of this.

The problem with going after these people now is man power and there is no recovering the money so it’s a pointless exercise in many cases.I say screw that and you go after people if only for the principal.

I‘d be down for these new IRS agents to be put on this.

Secondly, this whole process needs to be reviewed and problems acknowledged.

I mean there was no being prepared and getting money out fast was key trying to give benefit of the doubt to all involved.

The reporter did a good job of covering this aspect as well - this podcast is great by the way on all types of topics.

Funny Michigan had their own little money deal also. Some people got double the unemployment benefits. Of course they didn’t pay it back. The state decided they could keep it.

Funny Michigan had their own little money deal also. Some people got double the unemployment benefits. Of course they didn’t pay it back. The state decided they could keep it.
I‘m sure this was happening in every state. There is just no mechanism for doing what we did that would work efficiently.

Some of the examples of the grift are simply crazy though: Like this idiot

Let‘s get to work and loudly prosecute these people is my vote.

If only some FBI agents had been less busy, maybe some of these scammers wouldn't have gotten out of the country.

One issue brought up that was wholly aggravating was that you could (paraphrasing) basically just apply for 10K during the pandemic. For speed it was all done on honor system with the threat that the Feds know who you are. Well to no ones surprise pieces of **** took advantage of this.

The problem with going after these people now is man power and there is no recovering the money so it’s a pointless exercise in many cases.I say screw that and you go after people if only for the principal.

Maybe we need more prisons too.

Maybe we need more prisons too.
I think the Minnesota people deserve it certainly. Many others do as well.

Someone scamming 10k some type of payment program back at the very least, wage garnishment etc.

Those same agents would be investigating covid grifters?
Yes. Those exact same agents. I know every one of them personally. Well except Bob, Ted, and Jim. They would be reassigned to terrorizing parents that spoke up at school board meetings.
awesome. good to know their training makes all agents that diverse.

Users who are viewing this thread